Visiting Sagrada Familia, Barcelona

We had a few days in Barcelona before our 5th May Mediterranean cruise on the Eurodam. I had heard about lengthy queues to visit the Sagrada Familia, so we bought our tickets online and were able to print them at home. You can choose a one hour time slot. We chose 10am - 11am and arrived just after 10am. By then the queues were already very long. We went to the front of the queue, showed our tickets and walked straight in - fantastic. I felt so sorry for all the people who were going to have to stand in the hot sun for several hours.

There is a link to buy tickets on this page of the official website:

http://www.sagradafamilia.cat/sf-eng...TarifesInd.php

Although the outside is interesting, the interior is not to be missed. Without doubt one of the highlights of our trip. It was sad to hear so many people on our cruise say that they had given up trying to get inside when they saw the length of the queue.

We had a few days in Barcelona before our 5th May Mediterranean cruise on the Eurodam. I had heard about lengthy queues to visit the Sagrada Familia, so we bought our tickets online and were able to print them at home. You can choose a one hour time slot. We chose 10am - 11am and arrived just after 10am. By then the queues were already very long. We went to the front of the queue, showed our tickets and walked straight in - fantastic. I felt so sorry for all the people who were going to have to stand in the hot sun for several hours.

Although the outside is interesting, the interior is not to be missed. Without

doubt one of the highlights of our trip. It was sad to hear so many people on our cruise say that they had given up trying to get inside when they saw the length of the queue.

Thanks for the tip. How long did you spend exploring the church?

Although the outside is interesting, the interior is not to be missed. Without doubt one of the highlights of our trip. It was sad to hear so many people on our cruise say that they had given up trying to get inside when they saw the length of the queue.

Did you do the regular or guided/audioguide? Do you know the age for a retired ticket?

Thanks!

We just bought the regular ticket, having read quite a bit about the church in advance although probably the audi would be very useful. There is so much to see and it would help to know the significance of everything.

We were there about two hours. That included all the time we spent in the museum in the crypt. Easy to miss the museum - not well signed, but really interesting.

Sorry, no idea about the retired age. I couldn't find out on the website, so bought a regular ticket for my husband who us 60, although did wonder if he qualified. Didn't want there to be any problems about getting in on the day!

We were just in Barcelona and didn't buy a ticket ahead of time. When we got to Sagrada Familia we just passed on going inside because the lines were so long to get in. I've been there before, though.

Go first thing in the morning when they open.

Did you do the regular or guided/audioguide? Do you know the age for a retired ticket?

Thanks!

We were just there and did the guided tour at 11 am. It was a small group and the same price as the audio tour. It was nice to be able to ask questions. You finish the tour in the museum.

Cynthia

We didn't buy tickets in advance and queued up. The line moved rather fast, not a problem.

THANKS for all of the info and insights! Very helpful. Will be in Barcelona in less than two weeks. Excited!! Was last there in 1998. Below are two of my pictures. Lots has changed and progressed since that point, especially on the inside. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 41,490 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From high over Barcelona on the Olympic site, here is the view towards Gaudi's Cathedral that has been under construction for many years.:

BarcelChurchTowersLongShot.jpg

Here in Barcelona, this is another view of Gaudi's Cathedral that was taken in 1998.:

BarcelCathFamilaGaudi.jpg

Interesting to hear about people who waited in line, but not for too long. We asked the day we were there and were told at 10am that the length of line indicated at least a two hour wait. I guess it depends on so many factors - time of day, weather, booked tour groups etc.

As we wanted to go in the morning we decided to buy our tickets online rather than take the risk of a lengthy wait. I have heard several people say that the lines are much shorter late in the afternoon.

The inside is a soaring, luminous space. It impressed me more than the outside and is well worth a wait, even if you haven't booked ahead. We rented the audio guides and were pleased we did, even though we had Mr Steves' book with us.

One has to think this is the last great cathedral the Roman Catholic Church will build anywhere. More than that, it's so unlike the Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals that litter the rest of Spain and Europe that it'd be a shame to be in Barcelona and not see it.

It definitely would be a shame to miss this Cathedral, even though work is still being done on it. Go early in the morning around 8 or 8:30 or late in the evening, about 2-3 hours before it closes.

Senior prices are 2Euro lower and you have to be over 65 years of age.

THANKS for all of the info and insights! Very helpful. Will be in Barcelona in less than two weeks. Excited!! Was last there in 1998. Below are two of my pictures. Lots has changed and progressed since that point, especially on the inside. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 41,490 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From high over Barcelona on the Olympic site, here is the view towards Gaudi's Cathedral that has been under construction for many years.:

BarcelChurchTowersLongShot.jpg

Here in Barcelona, this is another view of Gaudi's Cathedral that was taken in 1998.:

BarcelCathFamilaGaudi.jpg

Terry: You will be amazed when you see the interior without all the scaffolding! My jaw dropped. porsena's description as "luminous" is apt.

I'll be watching for your pictures as I lost my camera on that cruise.

Enjoy.

Martha

Martha, a camera loss would really hurt. I've put some interior pics at https://picasaweb.google.com/porsena/SagradaFamiliaInt?authkey=Gv1sRgCKb8kZSyg7nbiQE# Feel free to use. This camera broke the next day (CCD problem) so these were among it's last photos.

porsena:

Thank you so very much! They're just great.

Martha

Terry: You will be amazed when you see the interior without all the scaffolding! My jaw dropped. porsena's description as "luminous" is apt. I'll be watching for your pictures as I lost my camera on that cruise. Enjoy. Martha

THANKS to Martha for the nice comments and the other insights/tips offered by others. Will aim to take lots of Barcelona pictures when there before and after our June 7-19 cruise. We loved Barcelona from our 1998 visit there. I'm sure it has gotten better. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our last July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 41,865 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for posting this info; I've saved the site to my trip info folder so I have it for our October cruise. We've been to Barcelona before, but we didn't make it there, and it's definitely on our list. As I recall, it's not within walking distance from the port, correct? I'm assuming that it won't be too hard to get a taxi from the port, however.

• 2 weeks later...

We skipped the interior because of the lines - now I'm sorry - should have waited to see how fast it moved. One bit of advice for anyone touring is to make La Mila (La Pedrera) one of your first stops - in the "attic" there is such good information on all the Gaudi venues - rent the audio - we wished we had done that first to more understand and enjoy the rest!

Archived