Our Cruise on Snake in the Grass,ah, Splendor in the Grass, no, Splendour of the Seas

OMG!!!! I haven't laughed this hard in ages! I want to cruise with you and Sailor Jill ! If you had been my history teacher I would have been in the first row every day!!! And made all A's!!! Now going to go back and read ALL of your other reviews! You are a gifted storyteller!!!!!

Actually, my first undergraduate degree was in history...and I briefly thought about teaching it...but them I came to my senses.:D

Glad you enjoyed the story, Debbie.

baaaaa,baaaaa:p

Truffles, et tu! :)

Jack

Edited by SailorJack

These are the last of my Bodrum picures. Here is the town of Bodrum as seen from the Castle.

2822715990106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The Splendour as seen from the Castle. The water is so pure it actually sparkles.

2116143010106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The Bodrum Gulets are boats made in Bodrum and are famous throughout Europe. Many of them handbuilt with exotic wood, they are used for daily, weekly and monthly charters. This is the type of boat we took to Black Island.

2684516070106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Speaking of boats, this model of the very first Sovereign of the Seas is in the Underwater Museum in the Castle. The Sovereign was built in 1641 and (at the time) was the most powerful warship ever built.

2031225920106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Elaborate chandeliers hung out over the streets of Bodrum. I hope "fink" means something different in Turkey!

2176341350106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The beaches of Bodrum were exceptionally clean and welcoming.

2014302530106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Actually, my first undergraduate degree was in history...and I briefly thought about teaching it...but them I came to my senses.:D

Glad you enjoyed the story, Debbie.

Truffles, et tu! :)

Jack

Sailor Jack, I just read your review on the recommendation of my sister; I have to thank her for the tip. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and laughed very hard throughout sitting alone in my study. I wish all cruise reviews were as entertaining and funny as this one. I now have to find your remaining reviews. As previously mentioned, the "12 goats" tale was priceless and absolutely hysterical; I would have been in deep trouble for weeks on end with that one. :D

After the review I must take this cruise; it appears to be wonderful.

All the best and you've gained another follower/reader.

Sailor Jack, I just read your review on the recommendation of my sister; I have to thank her for the tip. I thoroughly enjoyed your review and laughed very hard throughout sitting alone in my study. I wish all cruise reviews were as entertaining and funny as this one. I now have to find your remaining reviews. As previously mentioned, the "12 goats" tale was priceless and absolutely hysterical; I would have been in deep trouble for weeks on end with that one. :D

After the review I must take this cruise; it appears to be wonderful.

All the best and you've gained another follower/reader.

I am glad you enjoyed it. If you take this cruise you will not be disappointed. The itinerary is fantastic. With the exception of Athens, all of the ports are reltively small and you can easily explore them on foot without having to pay for a tour. Even Athens is not bad, if you can walk to the train station and take the train into the city.

Santorini

Spendour anchored off of Santorini Island.

2351991770106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The infamous cable car up to Fira.

2107335950106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The even more infamous donkeys that go up to Fira.

2464817450106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The only picture we took in Fira..it just wasn't that memorable to us.

2493738550106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This was sooo entertaining. I have to admit that I started reading it on my lunch time at work. I started laughing out loud so my friend asked what I was doing. Got her on the website and she started doing the same thing. Before I knew it, five people that sit around me were reading and laughing out loud. Most entertaining lunch I have had in a very long time.:D

Thanks so much SailorJack....now that I am home, I'm off to read your other reviews. I'm prepared now to explain my uncontrollable laughter to my husband!:p

:D

This was sooo entertaining. I have to admit that I started reading it on my lunch time at work. I started laughing out loud so my friend asked what I was doing. Got her on the website and she started doing the same thing. Before I knew it, five people that sit around me were reading and laughing out loud. Most entertaining lunch I have had in a very long time.

Thanks so much SailorJack....now that I am home, I'm off to read your other reviews. I'm prepared now to explain my uncontrollable laughter to my husband!:p

Well, that is the first group read that I have heard about!:D Glad to bring a little levity into the work place.

Love your pictures. I kind of regret not having taken the donkey. Would have been even more memorable.

We would not have taken the donkey if Jill had not insisted upon it...much lite she did on the Gondola. But I am glad we did both... something to look back upon. Perhaps you will visit Santorini again and can avail yourself of the experience.:)

Jack

This is the famed blue domed church in Oia.

2451095300106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Another beautiful building in Oia.

2234832190106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking down to the caldera from Oia. In the background you can see the cruise ships anchored by Fira. Oia, as the crow flies, is not that far from Fira, but the road to Fira is circuitous.

2783017480106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Nearly every hotel, B&B, and Inn has a glorious view.

2837472300106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

How would you like to be this couple and have your morning coffee in such a setting?

2991218080106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Absolutely the most entertaining and well written review.....ever! Thank you for my quota of this week's laughs!

Thanks for the kind words, but my English teacher may want to argue about the "well written" part!:)

Of all the ports we visited on this trip, Mykonos wass, by far, the most beautiful.

We had to tender into this port and this is Mykonos as seen from the Splendour.

2847449540106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The town's harbor.

2900328090106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The Spendour at anchor.

2229886570106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Mykonos's most famous landmark are the 16 windmills on the island. No longer in active use some have been converted into a museum and several homes.

2927947200106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Everywhere you went on the island were Kodak opportunities. Here, a small church on a rocky promontory.

2664883600106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The first time I went to Mykonos we had to tender. I don't think there was a pier then. There is a place to dock now (we did about 3-4 yrs ago on Brilliance) but it is not so convenient. There must have been another big ship there that beat you to the dock. Looked like two pretty good-sized ships in the bay. If there was a 3rd at the dock, thats a lot of people to dump on the small island.

The first time I went to Mykonos we had to tender. I don't think there was a pier then. There is a place to dock now (we did about 3-4 yrs ago on Brilliance) but it is not so convenient. There must have been another big ship there that beat you to the dock. Looked like two pretty good-sized ships in the bay. If there was a 3rd at the dock, thats a lot of people to dump on the small island.

No 3rd boat. There was a small pier where the tenders docked, but I did not see a pier big enough to handle a cruise ship. Of course, I wasn't looking for one so it might have been a little further away from where we anchored. Did you have to take a shuttle to get to town. If so that might explain why I didn't see a pier.

No 3rd boat. There was a small pier where the tenders docked, but I did not see a pier big enough to handle a cruise ship. Of course, I wasn't looking for one so it might have been a little further away from where we anchored. Did you have to take a shuttle to get to town. If so that might explain why I didn't see a pier.

I think the ship seen behind Splendour on picture#3 above is docked to "the new port". It is too far from Mykonos town to walk but there is a shuttle service to the "old port". Old port is where the tender boats land, just the opposite side of the "entrance" from the sea.

The beautiful photos from Mykonos gets me in the mood, we are off to Mykonos on Saturday. Will be staying just next to the windmills. Going once every year since 1996.

/thomas

I think the ship seen behind Splendour on picture#3 above is docked to "the new port". It is too far from Mykonos town to walk but there is a shuttle service to the "old port". Old port is where the tender boats land, just the opposite side of the "entrance" from the sea.

The beautiful photos from Mykonos gets me in the mood, we are off to Mykonos on Saturday. Will be staying just next to the windmills. Going once every year since 1996.

/thomas

That is probably the case. That ship was there before we arrived. I envy you your annual trip to Mykonos. As I said above, it was the prettiest of all the places we visited. I have a few more pictures I took there and I will try to upload them today.

Kudos, sir. Enjoyed it very much but kept spewing coffee after laughing and had to clean up. Will be on Splendour in Aug. on different itinerary - can't wait!

Sorry about the mess!:D Enjoy the Splendour - you are close to being on the last cruise before it goes in for refurb. - at least that is what I have heard.

LOL. This is the stuff of stand up comedy. I love your review. Doing the Mediteranean route next year for our 30th Anniversary.

Thank you. We may also be back in the Mediteranean next year - there are still a few ports we would like to visit. Congratulations on your 30th - quite a milestone.

Jack

OMGs best review EVER! You are a gifted writer and humorist! I'm glad your vacation was so much fun and so full of adventure and interest! I can't wait to read your next review! :-)

Glad you enjoyed it!:) Next review -assuming there is something to write about - should be at the end of November when we get back from our Singapore to Sydney cruise on the Diamond Princess.

Sorry to take so long in getting these other Mykonos pictures posted. We had a major electrical storm here Wednesday and it fried my computer power supply, internet card, and some of my files. The motherboard, according to my technician is questionable.:eek: Anyhow, I am up and running for now and here are the Mykonos pictures.

The town of Mykonos is almost all white and the paths (they really don't count as streets) are very narrow and wind through the stores and B&Bs. This is a typical store scene.

2645178970106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Of course, not all scenes are equally "picturesque."

2350508060106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

But most are.

2623045980106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

A small church in the middle of town.

2855526440106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

This is Petros the Pelican - the official mascot of Mykonos. Actually it is Petros II as the original Petros was struck by a car.

2681446070106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Once again my sides are aching, SailorJack! Another fabulous review, made even better by the fact that the missus and I enjoyed several of the same ports on our Mediterranean cruise several years back. Your descriptions are hilarious and accurate lol!

Once again my sides are aching, SailorJack! Another fabulous review, made even better by the fact that the missus and I enjoyed several of the same ports on our Mediterranean cruise several years back. Your descriptions are hilarious and accurate lol!

Glad you enjoyed it. They were great ports, weren't they! I will try to upload my photos for Split this afternoon - in case that was one of the ports you also visited.:)

Jack

These next set of pictures are from Split, Croatia - the first time we have been in this country.

Our arrival was early morn before the fog had burned off.

2988789410106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The same scene after the fog had lifted.

2414400960106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

The architecture on the buildings was outstanding.

2318689260106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Many of the buildings had impressive statuary attached.

2645270780106582660S600x600Q85.jpg

Edited by SailorJack

Thanks again for another of your wonderful reviews.

The pictures are an added bonus.

We would love to sail the Med and now, even more so, because of your beautiful pictures. I had no idea Croatia was so beautiful.