concierge progam

I am new to regent lines and have now finished getting a cruise booked ..Please be patient this might be a long post.

I have done quite a bit of reading on this forum about the new program that will be offered starting next year (April to June timeframe).

I had to phone to finish up a couple of details before they (phone reps) turned it over to my local TA..and I took the opportunity to express my thoughts on this new program.

Before I get to their reaction, I must admit I am a bit torn on my reaction. Coming from other cruise lines that offer this kind of "stuff" as (perhaps) incentives, this is common place. Witness the blatant class distinction on another line where if you are suite guest you get to bypass just about every line everywhere and get preferred seating for everything from shows to dining. Now, other cruise lines are a bit more "careful" how they do this as to not offend others, for example on HAL and the Neptune lounge...quite frankly unless you know it is there and you literally wander each floor you would not see it.

Besides of course the very good price I got, one of the biggest attraction to this line (RSSC) was the fact that once you step on the ship, you are just like everyone else, and from reading on this board, assured that no one judged you any different.. Sure the cabin may be bigger and you have a butler, but you and others have equal access to dining and other items like the shore excursions. And this is where the other side of my reaction hits, the fact that once the new program comes into effect - it becomes an obvious tiered program - pay more - get in...In amusement parks like Disney and or Universal this may sell, but on a close small(er) ship that purports you are like "family" - and one that is certainly trying to pull business from other lines, this seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

So, I asked the nice rep on the phone the whole story. She told me exactly what you read on the corporate site.

I asked her nicely if she or others from corporate have read the negative reaction on cruise critic (and other cruise boards). I got the feeling they do not follow the others quite as much, but they do follow this board very closely. She said, "yes they have". I asked for "reaction", and of course I did not really expect an answer, if I were in her place I would be cautious as well. What I did get is that yes, they have read the increasingly negative feedback and are considering the next steps. Also, a number of verbal (phone in) complaints have been received as well.

She did state that they would probably institute this, but modify in the future.

I could not, of course speak for anyone else, but the two items that bothered me and seem to be the problem for others is the (further)advance res shore excursions and dining for those in higher cat cabins.

I told her that many other cruise lines have similar programs but do not seem to impact as direct. What I mean is that almost all other lines offer "preferred seating" and "preferred times" but exactly what that interprets as is unclear. This program is obvious and (sorry) blunt...you get "x" number of days ahead of 35 to 45% of the other passengers to get what you want and they get the rest...

To assuage my dissatisfaction, she assured me that RSSC is also taking steps to make sure that paks are taken care of one way or another and that even if my pick of the tour is "waitlisted" I will probably get it..Same with dining. To that I said then what is the point...??? To make others feel superior? Back to the initial point of the line making you feel like family.

Anyway, when the conversation was over she assured me she would inform management of the conversation.

Please do not flame me on this point, DW and I are extremely excited to go on this cruise and switch lines for future ones...this is just an initial knee jerk reaction to a new, as yet untried action.

Wow! Contrary to flaming you I want to thank you for going to the trouble of sharing your thoughts with Regent headquarters and sharing your experience with us. I'm encouraged by what you reported. We have noticed that Regent hasn't formally announced the concierge changes and have been hopeful that they will reconsider the restaurant and tour reservations part of their program. I think that most of us are keenly aware that the norm in the cruise industry is a "class system" and that most people who cruise not only expect but accept a "class system." One of the things that sets the luxury lines apart from the others is the absence, in certain respects, of a "class system" and that's one of the reasons, among many others, that attracts us to Regent and Silversea and Seabourn. We are among those who don't want to see that change. We'll see!

This has the potential to be another near-endless thread reiterating issues that have been flogged to death in the past. I might as well get an opinion in and then just back-off and lurk.

I view a cruise to be a "package" that is appealing or not, and determines whether we accept or not. Every cruise line offers more than, I believe, any passenger could possibly take advantage of. A passenger then chooses to participate in those that most interest them. They should understand that they will be subsidizing those that they choose not to take part in, and accept this as part of the package. Those that insist on total ala carte so as not to subsidize unused features will, most likely, be the ones visiting Alaska on the ferry system as opposed to a cruise ship.

On the egalitarian issue, rational adults should realize that this is not an egalitarian world. History has pretty much validated that rule of the proletariat does not function very well, if at all. Society will naturally stratify itself.

People that want access to certain privileges pay for it. The package of access privileges is normally stated in advance and the individual then has to decide whether they accept (or not) for the tendered price(s).

Those who have been involved in business will likely recognize the cruise industry as a Vendor/customer model. The vendor makes an offer and hopes that it is acceptable to prospects, resulting in sales. Not that mistakes are not made, but I suspect the executive office is pretty knowledgeable about what is palatable to their target market. I'm also pretty sure they know what percentage of the total market the Cruise Critics occupy and take this into consideration (or disregard).

Reading these rant threads can be a somewhat addicting diversion. I view them as real-time social studies, some contributors of which may have too much time on their hands. Discuss away ... I'll be reading.

BTW, as a member of the proletariat, I am thankful for the subsidization provided by those who refuse the bus excursions in favor of private tours.

[quote name=Kane;29235674

BTW' date=' as a member of the proletariat, I am thankful for the subsidization provided by those who refuse the bus excursions in favor of private tours.[/quote]

Well in booking my next cruise, I won't be subsidizing your cruise. I refuse to pay additional for something that I am not going to take advantage of and shore excursions are one of the big ticket inclusions. I am looking at 2012 Fall and there are some great fares out there for some incredible cruises at half the per diem of Regent.

This has the potential to be another near-endless thread reiterating issues that have been flogged to death in the past. I might as well get an opinion in and then just back-off and lurk.

I view a cruise to be a "package" that is appealing or not, and determines whether we accept or not. Every cruise line offers more than, I believe, any passenger could possibly take advantage of. A passenger then chooses to participate in those that most interest them. They should understand that they will be subsidizing those that they choose not to take part in, and accept this as part of the package. Those that insist on total ala carte so as not to subsidize unused features will, most likely, be the ones visiting Alaska on the ferry system as opposed to a cruise ship.

On the egalitarian issue, rational adults should realize that this is not an egalitarian world. History has pretty much validated that rule of the proletariat does not function very well, if at all. Society will naturally stratify itself.

People that want access to certain privileges pay for it. The package of access privileges is normally stated in advance and the individual then has to decide whether they accept (or not) for the tendered price(s).

Those who have been involved in business will likely recognize the cruise industry as a Vendor/customer model. The vendor makes an offer and hopes that it is acceptable to prospects, resulting in sales. Not that mistakes are not made, but I suspect the executive office is pretty knowledgeable about what is palatable to their target market. I'm also pretty sure they know what percentage of the total market the Cruise Critics occupy and take this into consideration (or disregard).

Reading these rant threads can be a somewhat addicting diversion. I view them as real-time social studies, some contributors of which may have too much time on their hands. Discuss away ... I'll be reading.

BTW, as a member of the proletariat, I am thankful for the subsidization provided by those who refuse the bus excursions in favor of private tours.

I think your post is right on the mark..

The "Sky is Falling" crowd has really run its course.

From my vantage point it's simple. If you like what the provider is offering you will buy it. If not you will go elsewhere. This is not rocket science.

As I have said numerous times in response the the naysayers, if there is something else that turns you on, go there. don't spend every waking moment trying to instill negativity for those who are quite happy with Regent.

.....You are far too sensable.....Having just returned from a Crystal "High Society" cruise to your back yard in whale alley, I am a bit surprised that we are on this carrousel again......I will be very happy to get back aboard Regent.....It can not happen quick enough!....No chits to sign....Truly good wines poured whenever wanted....Good tours.....Fabulous ship and crew....But best of all.....The best passenger mix of any cruise line...Bar none.....We have cruised all of the so called luxury lines but none compare to Regent in over all experience.....Of Regent, Crystal, Silverseas and Seabourn , the "Snoot factor" is definately lowest on Regent which makes it the cruise line of choice for Teddy & Rob......Time to go back into my hole.:D

Well in booking my next cruise, I won't be subsidizing your cruise. I refuse to pay additional for something that I am not going to take advantage of and shore excursions are one of the big ticket inclusions. I am looking at 2012 Fall and there are some great fares out there for some incredible cruises at half the per diem of Regent.

Sounds like there may have been some emotion involved but, whatever the case, you are to be lauded for taking a stance and following that with a decision.

Could we stop and take a deep breath? This will not become like the previous thread unless people post that the "sky is falling", or that it will not affect anyone, etc. etc. etc.

Tallship is currently on a cruise with people who are not cleared for tours. This is current and factual information.

It is not possible for Regent to keep adding buses to accommodate all passengers. As stated earlier, what is the point of the new program if this were to be done. There are some excursions that are limited for a lot of reasons. No matter what Regent would like to do, they cannot accommodate everyone.

In terms of dining. . . . Regent actually can accommodate everyone on all of their ships if each person dines only once in the speciality restaurants. However, there are times when people prefer to dine and tables sizes that passengers would like. It would be virtually impossible to accommodate everyone's choice.

In spite of this, we love the Regent experience. We would book a Regent "free " excursion as a last resort. And, we are not affected by the new policy due to our Seven Seas Society status. So, if none of this is a concern, go ahead and book Regent. It is definitely one of the top luxury cruise lines.

Could we stop and take a deep breath? This will not become like the previous thread unless people post that the "sky is falling", or that it will not affect anyone, etc. etc. etc.

Tallship is currently on a cruise with people who are not cleared for tours. This is current and factual information.

It is not possible for Regent to keep adding buses to accommodate all passengers. As stated earlier, what is the point of the new program if this were to be done. There are some excursions that are limited for a lot of reasons. No matter what Regent would like to do, they cannot accommodate everyone.

In terms of dining. . . . Regent actually can accommodate everyone on all of their ships if each person dines only once in the speciality restaurants. However, there are times when people prefer to dine and tables sizes that passengers would like. It would be virtually impossible to accommodate everyone's choice.

In spite of this, we love the Regent experience. We would book a Regent "free " excursion as a last resort. And, we are not affected by the new policy due to our Seven Seas Society status. So, if none of this is a concern, go ahead and book Regent. It is definitely one of the top luxury cruise lines.

I almost see a ray of light, but I'm not sure..

Are you suggesting that regardless of the Concierge program or not, Regent should or can accomodate every passenger's wish or choice on the fly. This is not possible for any business to achieve.

My observation is that I don't see a mass abandonment of Regent passengers no matter. And if Regent sees this happening, and in spite of all the conjecture, they will be the first to see it, they will change...and it will be because they are losing business.

Sure, if they change any aspects of their program, I'm sure the naysayers will want to take all the credit...but it's OK with me.

I almost see a ray of light, but I'm not sure..

Are you suggesting that regardless of the Concierge program or not, Regent should or can accomodate every passenger's wish or choice on the fly. This is not possible for any business to achieve.

My observation is that I don't see a mass abandonment of Regent passengers no matter. And if Regent sees this happening, and in spite of all the conjecture, they will be the first to see it, they will change...and it will be because they are losing business.

Sure, if they change any aspects of their program, I'm sure the naysayers will want to take all the credit...but it's OK with me.

Let me repeat this briefly so that you understand what I said. Regent can accommodate passengers in their reservation dining venues ONE time per cruise (assuming 7 nights). They cannot, however, accommodate time and other specific requests (i.e. table for 2 or 4 or 6) for everyone. So, people in lower levels of the ship will not be able to always get their choice. This isn't supposition. . . . do the math.

Regent cannot possibly add additional buses for all excursions. There are people currently on the Navigator that cannot clear wait-list. Under the new plan, it will not get better.

There has been a larger than usual cancellation rate. . . . not sure why (and, sorry, I really cannot state my reliable source). Regent will pick up some additional passengers due to the fact that they have dramatically cut some prices on itineraries that are not selling.

The OP wanted our opinion. You told yours more than once, as have I. Perhaps it is better if we let others express their opinions.

Let me repeat this briefly so that you understand what I said. Regent can accommodate passengers in their reservation dining venues ONE time per cruise (assuming 7 nights). They cannot, however, accommodate time and other specific requests (i.e. table for 2 or 4 or 6) for everyone. So, people in lower levels of the ship will not be able to always get their choice. This isn't supposition. . . . do the math.

Regent cannot possibly add additional buses for all excursions. There are people currently on the Navigator that cannot clear wait-list. Under the new plan, it will not get better.

There has been a larger than usual cancellation rate. . . . not sure why (and, sorry, I really cannot state my reliable source). Regent will pick up some additional passengers due to the fact that they have dramatically cut some prices on itineraries that are not selling.

The OP wanted our opinion. You told yours more than once, as have I. Perhaps it is better if we let others express their opinions.

I suppose there will always be cancellations for a number of reasons and that's why waiting lists exist.

There are only so many slots for any event and as always, no matter how you interpret it, someone will be first and someone will be last and that's how life functions. If I want to sit closer to the stage, it will cost me more.

I do believe that Regent will sort out what works and what doesn't work and will continually keep fine tuning their product as all businesses do.

I am awaiting clarification or the modifications on the program before even looking at the Regent itineraries. I am on the PG next month, Crystal in the Fall and Azamara in January. Havent booked anything beyond that. Once the dust settles I will look at Regent from the sidelines and decide whether I want to return to them or continue to seek a replacement.

Meanwhile both Regent and Oceania are blitzing me with emails and mailings!!

Archived