Miracle Eastern Review in Pics- First Time Cruiser! May 2011

I'm really enjoying your review - we're sailing on the Miracle in less than two weeks, so we're getting excited! You didn't happen to keep the daily newsletter you got, did you? I'd love to see those!

Thanks again for the review! And your pictures are great!

KC

I'm really enjoying your review - we're sailing on the Miracle in less than two weeks, so we're getting excited! You didn't happen to keep the daily newsletter you got, did you? I'd love to see those!

Thanks again for the review! And your pictures are great!

KC

I do have some of the FunTimes, but a few got water spilled on them. Lol. I'm missing 3 days I think. If you don't get them before this weekend I will scan them.

I plan on doing an update tonight- have DS's school carnival first!

We've Made It To Nassau!!

May 11th, 2011

I again woke up early to see us arrive in Nassau. I knew I wanted to get pics of the lighthouse and Paradise Island. It also just happened to be sunrise!

We passed the Carnival Sensation leaving Nassau at sunrise

100_3086.jpg

The lighthouse and Atlantis

100_3087.jpg

100_3089.jpg

100_3090.jpg

100_3091.jpg

100_3092.jpg

In this next pic the yellow builing is the Nassau welcome center that you have to go through. Near the top center in the distance you can see the water tower, which is also where Fort Fincastle is located.

100_3093.jpg

The large building in this next pic is the Hilton. The little beach is the Hilton Beach (one of the excursions you can do). Looking at the pic the building to the left of the Hilton is the Straw Market. Also on this street are many "touristy" shops and a great liquor store with CHEAP prices. My husband bought a bottle of Bacardi for $2.75!! Also to the left of the Hilton you can see Senor Frogs.

100_3095.jpg

Back to Nassau. . .

So, we were in Nassau from 7 am and had to be back on board by 5:30 pm. Because we had a very long day we decided to explore the city on our own. I had done a lot of research and knew where I wanted to go and what to expect.

When we first got off the ship and walked down the dock we were met by a few "professional" tours that wanted to take us on a city tour and to Atlantis for about $40/person. Not a bad deal, but we declined.

Here are a few pics from within the cruise gates and cruise center.

100_3103.jpg

100_3104.jpg

100_3105.jpg

As soon as we were outside the gates of the cruise center there were many people offering us all kinds of tours. We were everything from carriage rides to rides to "city tours" in a rusty van. However, please don't be afraid and don't be discouraged. The people are friendly and okay with you saying no. And we were never asked once we were away from the street nearest the cruise center. We were also the only ship in port that day, so I think there were more people vying for our attention. But, it wasn't bad. Just say no thanks and keep walking.

Our first stop was to find bottled water. We found a Burger King right off the main road and the bottles were only $1. We then headed for the Straw Market.

The Straw Market is about a 5-10 minute walk from the dock. The streets are small and uneven, so it's not recommended to walk there if you have a wheelchair or other difficulties walking. However, Nassau is the most "pedestrian friendly" city I have ever been in. Cars actually stop when you want to cross! It was such a nice change!

We were the first customers of the day in the Straw Market, and the only people in there the entire time we spent there! Because of this, and being the only ship in port that day, we got some great deals. It was so fun! I recommend going early and beating the crowds. We had the opportunity to talk to many of the women who worked there and it was all very interesting.

On our way out there was a man selling soda and water. DH asked if he knew a good place to buy alcohol and the man took us to a shop just outside of the Straw Market. The shop was really nice inside and the couple who worked in the shop were great. They were really interested to hear about alcohol prices in the US and UK. Also, we gave the man who took us to the liquor a couple dollars.

I do not have any pics of the Straw Market, but here is one of the liquor store. DH bought a bottle of Bacardi and 2 cans of Coke to mix into his water bottle and walk around with. Total cost was around $4.00.

100_3113.jpg

And a couple more pics around the port/Straw Market area

100_3106.jpg

100_3107.jpg

The other place we decided to visit was Fort Fincastle/Water Tower/Queen's Staircase. This was quite a walk. It took maybe about 30 minutes to walk. Once you leave the "tourist" area, it was great. There were people walking to work and sitting outside having a snack in the parks. This is where we really saw Nassau for what it is- a beautiful city in both it's sites and people. We asked a couple people directions to make sure we were going the right way while walking and they were so kind and helpful. What a great place. We never once felt unsafe while walking.

Finally we made it to Fort Fincastle. It is $1/person to enter the Fort. We sat and had a long talk about the history of the place with one of the workers and learned a lot. We did not do the tour inside, but instead decided to walk around ourselves. It's not big and took only maybe 15 minutes to walk through and see everything. But, it's well worth $1!

100_3115.jpg

Look in the background- you can see the Miracle!

100_3126.jpg

100_3127.jpg

DS pretending to be a Fort tour guide

100_3130.jpg

100_3131.jpg

100_3154.jpg

This area was beautiful (yes, I use that word a lot!). And it was at least 20 degrees cooler here! There was another small market where we picked up a few last items to take home.

100_3155.jpg

DS enjoying a few of his new things!

100_3157.jpg

After that it was time to visit Parliment Square/Rawson Square before returning to the ship. It was any easy walk to Parliment Square from the Queen's Staircase.

100_3158.jpg

100_3160.jpg

100_3162.jpg

100_3164.jpg

And then back to the cruise center (Festival Place). . .

100_3167.jpg

It was at this point the DH and DS decided to get their hair braided. It was $2/braid at the Festival Place. . .for a grand total of. . .$6 plus a tip. BTW- the kid's at DS's school loved his braid and all wanted to touch it!

100_3170.jpg

100_3173.jpg

And the final result. . .

100_3174.jpg

One word of advice. . .make sure you carry a picture ID when you go to Nassau. They do check your ID to your S&S card in Festival Place before you can reboard the ship. DH and I took our driver's license since if something happened to it, it is much easier and cheaper to replace than our passport.

We reboarded the ship around 2 pm after a really busy day. DS wanted to swim (and the pools were almost empty) and I wanted a DOD. We spent the rest of the day on the lido just enjoying ourselves and watching Nassau come alive outside the ship.

I was so excited when 5:30 (onboard time) came and guest services was announcing the names of 4 people. The horn blew. My first pier runners!! They continued to announce the names until we saw 2 of the 4 running to the ship. Around 5:50 we saw a golf card drive to the end of the pier and pick up 2 people to drive them to the ship. They JUST made it!! The ship pulled out on time at 6 pm.

100_3176.jpg

Nassau Final Review:

I wasn't excited about Nassau. Infact when I began looking for cruises the one thing I kept reading was to stay on the ship in Nassau.

And I knew I didn't want to do Atlantis. I live 1 hour from Wisconsin Dells, the "Waterpark Capital" of the US. I did not want to pay the amount of money Atlantis charges to go to a waterpark, especially since it was our first time in Nassau. I wanted to experience it.

In our experience we found the people of Nassau to be amazing. We sat and talked to many of them on park benches and at their work. They are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. They are proud of their country and love God.

Sure there is crime. There is crime everywhere. We never felt unsafe. We didn't carry a lot of money and didn't have a large purse or bag. Just be smart.

The people offering their services didn't bother us at all. We would say no and move on. It's how they make their living.

I will definitly go back to Nassau and explore it more. I would never tell someone to stay on the ship at this port, especially if it's their first time in Nassau. It was great to experience another culture and I will never forget our time in Nassau.

I was up early and watched the Sensation leave too. So relaxing to see the ship floating off like that. Strange time to be leaving tho! :eek:

It was so unexpected to see another Carnival ship leaving at sunrise! And yes, it was a strange time to leave- I didn't realize any ships stayed over in Nassau! It was beautiful though.

Great review! Love the sunset pics.

Thank you and thanks for reading! My two favorite times were sunrise and sunset. The sky is always so beautiful!

Great review. we are on the Miracle inJuly and I am now even more excited!

Thanks,

Karen

You will have a great time! We are looking at doing the Miracle again in 2012- just not sure yet! We just know it's going to be a cruise somewhere! :D

Thanks for reading and have a great cruise!

Tomorrow I will try to update my sea days 3 & 4 (the beginning of the end :(). It's been a busy weekend with summer almost here!

And for those of you waiting for the Miracle FunTimes- my scanner isn't working right now. I can't get it to upload to my computer. I'll keep trying!!

I'll leave you with this pic. . .me watching the rough seas on sea day 3 (May 12). I believe this is in Jeeve's Lounge, but I'm not sure. . .:confused:

100_3191.jpg

As a long time cruiser I want to compliment you on your excellent review - truly one of the best I have ever read! And your pictures are spectacular - bravo for a wonderful gift you are giving all of us. I particularly liked your positive comments on - well - everything ! Especially encouraging people to go out and explore Nassau, etc. You are a true traveler if you can see the good and the bad of places and chose to focus on the good. We are taking this cruise on 10/5 and I am sending my daughter some of your pictures as she and a friend are joining us. It is our 40th anniversary and oddly enough on our actual wedding date (10/10) we will be in Nassau which is where we cruised to for our honeymoon. I love that you are introducing your son to travel at his age - our daughter was 6 when she took her first cruise and at 28 is loves to travel and particularly cruise. Thanks again for taking the time to share your wonderful trip. Best to you and your lovely family.

Archived