Tipping Question

Jellybelly

so our cruise is for Sunday to Sunday but the last day is really not a day on the ship because you leave the ship so early. So do you pay tip for 6 days or 7 days. I dont think you should have to pay for Sunday becuase you really dont get much service on Sunday and if you do that means they get tips from both your cruise and the one that comes later in that same day. To me that seems wrong. I have never seen this question before.

Yvonne

so our cruise is for Sunday to Sunday but the last day is really not a day on the ship because you leave the ship so early. So do you pay tip for 6 days or 7 days. I dont think you should have to pay for Sunday becuase you really dont get much service on Sunday and if you do that means they get tips from both your cruise and the one that comes later in that same day. To me that seems wrong. I have never seen this question before.

Yvonne

You are receiving service for 7 days. The first day of you cruise is Sunday, your embarkation day and the seventh day of your cruise is Saturday. Your room is cleaned for you from Sunday to Saturday (7 days) and you are served 7 days of meals. That is also the way the auto-tip is added.

Officially, Princess does not refer to the automatically charged amounts as "tips" or "gratuities." Instead, Princess accurately refers to them as "Hotel and Dining Service Charges." We should not refer to them as "gratuities" or "tips," because leaving those things, in "real life," is a totally voluntary, free-will act. In fact, the word, "gratuity," comes from the Latin word, "gratis," which means "free" (as in free will). If a fee is imposed, it is not a tip or gratuity. It is, as Princess correctly labels it, a "service charge" for hotel and dining.

Officially, Princess does not refer to the automatically charged amounts as "tips" or "gratuities." Instead, Princess accurately refers to them as "Hotel and Dining Service Charges." We should not refer to them as "gratuities" or "tips," because leaving those things, in "real life," is a totally voluntary, free-will act. In fact, the word, "gratuity," comes from the Latin word, "gratis," which means "free" (as in free will). If a fee is imposed, it is not a tip or gratuity. It is, as Princess correctly labels it, a "service charge" for hotel and dining.
Princess initiated this program as "auto-tip", and logged the daily amount as "hotel charge", so use of both terms can be appropriate. The charge to the account is automatic as a convenience, but not imposed. One has the option of removing this charge, thus leaving it in place is an act of free will.

This is still an automatic tipping program that shares the bounty with those we see daily and those behind the scenes. We on CC have however had many discussions about whether this is a gratuity or part of the crew's wages, or even whether it is reasonable depending on the customs we have in our originating country.

When we started cruising in 1996 we were given a "tipping guide" with reasonable and customary tips for steward, waiter, assistant waiter, Maitre'D. I remember the math involved and the need for trips to the Pursor's to get the appropriate change for each envelope which we then had to hand deliver to each person. The Auto-tip simplified this whole process, is (as we've been told by crew) fair, and equitable. The total amount when initiated was about the same as the previous tipping guide recommended and there has only been a modest increase since then.

With this automatic program, we now have the option of truly rewarding those who have gone above and beyond in service and made our cruise more enjoyable, while also providing fair tips to others.

Yvonne

Sunday to Sunday would be 8 days. Your gratuities (hotel charge) are for Sunday (day 1, embarkation day), Monday day 2, Tuesday day 3, Wednesday day 4, Thursday day 5, Friday day 6 and Saturday day 7. (you are not paying gratuities for the final Sunday when you disembark the ship).

Yvonne

I give up !

The most service we probably get is on the days of embarkation and debarkation. The crew is working HARD to get luggage on and off in a timely manner. Not to mention working to get US on and off as smoothly as possible!

Gosh, Golly, gee I love you, will you marry me?

Archived