Allure Dining - MTD or Early? First timer's!

Would love some input from experienced cruisers with families.

Family of 6 - me, husband & 4 girls (18, 13, 12 & 10) Currently we have the early dining time. I am wondering if switching to the MTD would be better.

We know we don't want the late seating (too late) BUT 6PM could be too early on some nights. Also, we DO want to see all of the shows.

The set dining seems appealing because we will be guaranteed the same table/server and this seems like a good thing (and something I have always related to the experience). It would be nice to have the server know us as the week goes on etc. It also looks like the tables for the set dining are in a more desireable location. It's just that on some nights, it could be too early to eat.

The MTD seems like we could get a more desireable 6:45 / 7PM dining time and work it with either a late/early show and whatever port we are in. But, I am worried that we may have to wait and it will be different tables/servers.

Ideas? We will plan on doing only one or two specialty dining nights so that may help. Also, it looks like the formal nights are on sea days so getting ready for early may not be too bad??

Thanks everyone!!

If you want tablemates, then traditional is the way to go. If you don't want to socialize, then MTD will work. I think folks put too much into having the same server nightly...after all, at most restaurants, you don't go based on the waiters! You will have perfectly lovely service, no matter who serves you!

With all there is to do on Allure, MTD seems to make the most sense, especially for families!

You could always pick MTD and request the same serving team each night, although there would be no way to guarantee getting them. Thats the drawback of MTD unfortunately. I think it will ultimately come down to whether you want the convenient time, or the consistent service. Personally, I prefer the traditional dining.

So I'll say the opposite of the first responder. Having the same servers makes the dining experience more memorable IMO. I'm not familiar yet with the show times and how they may interfere, so I can't comment on that. The other thing I don't like about MTD is the possibility of having different table mates each time.

We were on the Allure May 8-15th and brought our daughters (14 and 10). We opted for the MTD. It was wonderful. I had made reservations prior to boarding but were 45 mins late one evening (due to other things going on). They accommodated us and gave us our waiter. We had the same waitstaff all week.

We will be doing MTD for our next cruise, which we are going to bring our 3 year old.

We did early seating on Freedom and Oasis, but are making the switch to MTD for Allure. My kids are younger and used to eating on the early side, but there is so much to do on the ship (and off the ship) and since we usually had a late lunch or afternoon snack it seemed like 6pm was just too early some days. From everything I have read it appears that the wait is really not that bad, even if you request a specific dining time. I think we will be happy with MTD and probably stick with it.

So I'll say the opposite of the first responder. Having the same servers makes the dining experience more memorable IMO.

We feel the same way. When our kids were younger there was not an MTD option, but each night the waiters/waitresses had a feel for what the kids liked and some were very playful with the kids which was a lot of fun for the whole family.

We also like getting to know our table mates. To us that is part of the fun of cruising-learning about people from different parts of the country, or the world, and sharing each days experience.

I think a lot of this depends on personal preference.

Just off Allure. they do try and give you the same wait staff every night if possile. You get your prepaid gratuity coupons and envelops the last day . This way you know who to give them to and can add extra as you see fit. Most of the shows are after 8 PM so you could do eary dining. We had an ice show one night at 7:30and the parade the last night at 7:45. They would ask us each night if we had a show to get to and you could be out of there in an hour if you needed to be. There are alot of tables for 2 or 4 in MTD. My experiences with set dining have been great except they try and serve everone at the same day and I have never been out of there quickly. If you have tablemates and they are late they may make you wait.

Thank you for all the answers so far. As of now, they have us at a table for 6 during the first seating so we wouldn't have any tablemates - I guess that means we wouldn't miss that aspect if we did the MTD.

I did didn't think about late snacks etc. making ot so that we wouldn't necessarily be hungry at 6PM - so thank you.

I guess we just have to decide. It does sound like with the MTD we may have the option of the same servers etc. - especially if we stick to a timeframe that is consistent all week.

I am going to look at the shows and see what we should do. Thanks so much!

You could always pick MTD and request the same serving team each night, although there would be no way to guarantee getting them. Thats the drawback of MTD unfortunately. I think it will ultimately come down to whether you want the convenient time, or the consistent service. Personally, I prefer the traditional dining.

This is what we did. We had MTD, and had 3 different teams the first 3 nights. All great, but something special about the 3rd night. Maryna was our server, Mohammad assistant server, and Anna the Head Waiter/ress. Excellent team!!!!! Enjoyed talking with them every evening. We did request them and was lucky enough to get them!!!!

Archived