Handicap Parking At Port Of Miami

Luvtoeat

I have seen a few posts that handicap parking at POM is free if you have a blue handicap card that you hang from your visor. Can anyone please verify if this information is currently accurate as I have seen other posts that at some ports this is not enough to qualify for the free parking. Would greatly appreciate if anyone could please verify what is needed for the free parking.:)

I too, have second hand information, that handicapped parking is indeed FREE at the port of Miami. A very good friend told me this, and I believe it is true. He also told me that the Port of Miami is the only port he's ever sailed out of, that offered this perk. I think you could probably "Goggle" the Port of Miami Parking, and verify this.

Have a GREAT cruise.

"SKY"

Just "googled" Port of Miami handicapped parking and found the following. Apparently, you don't need a lift,,just your handicapped card, and fill out the short form at the entrance to the garage.

There is a short form required to be filled out for free handicapped parking including oversized vehicles and RV’s. Please review the following:

There is no reserved parking at the Port of Miami. The handicapped parking form cannot be downloaded, emailed, faxed, or no longer mailed to passengers. At this time, the forms can only be retrieved at the Toll Booth when entering or exiting our garages or parking lot. Please remember to bring your placard and proof of handicapped exemption with you. If you are from, in or out of state, you will be required to show you’re driver’s license to the Toll Operator, and the exempt individual must be present in the vehicle when you hand in the form.

There is no limit to the amount of days you park as long as you follow these procedures.

"SKY"

Edited by SkyMaster

Just make sure that the person who is issued the handicapped parking permit is in the car when you park. We dropped that person off near the enterance so they did not have to walk and when I went to park I had to go around and pick them as they needed to be in the car and needed the drivers liscense.

I can confirm this is true. We parked at the Miami port in November and again in December, 2010. As others have stated, the person who qualifies for the handicap tag, placard, plate, whatever, MUST be in the vehicle. When you enter the garage pre-cruise, take your parking ticket and proceed to a handicap spot. When you return from the cruise, hand your parking ticket to the attendant at the exit gate and let the attendant know you qualify for free handicap parking. They will have you complete a very short form and will also ask for your registration (or some other official documentation) showing that the handicap license belongs to the vehicle's occupant.

We parked in the Miami port garage from 5/8/11 to 5/15/11 for the Carnival Valor. Upon exiting you hand the attendant your rear view mirror handicapped card and the driver's license that is for. They hand you back a clipboard with the form to sign, and off you go at no charge.

If my sister doesnt have a drivers license, just a state ID card, I assume that will work with the blue HC card? She isnt able to driver due to her handicaps.

(her husband would be driving her). do they need both blue placards?

Edited by firefly333

Handicap placards are issued to the registered driver. Not sure about an individual that cannot drive by themselves. Should call local DMV in their state. Miami is only port that does not require a lift to qualify for free parking that i'm aware of. Although the local politicians that took away our free parking have allowed themselves to park for free.:p

• 2 years later...
As of Nov 2013, if you do not have the Florida toll waiver for a specially equipped vehicle, you will pay the full price, $20. a day like everyone else even if you have a handicap license, or handicap placard!

Absolutely correct.. It use to be free if you had the blue placard but no longer.. We parked there last week and had to pay the $20 per day or $140 for the week fee even with the blue placard. The handicap spots are still up front but no longer is it free to park at the Port of Miami...