Riedel's Wine Glass Comparative Workshop

Gibbs1984

I'm lucky enough to visit the Riedel home store at Austria

If you taste and feel the glasses there, you will never buy a glass at the ship again....

Of corse: pricing is different.... - one real phantasic red wine glass, Someliers series is about 100 bucks....:o

The workshop is offered once on the last day of the cruise. Our tasting was at 1230 and lasted about an hour. We got to enjoy the remaining wine from the 4 bottles selected. Ordered the glasses from the vouchers when we got home, and they arrived within a week. 20.00 shipping from Florida to Massachusetts.

We were just on the 17 Day Infinity Panama Canal cruse. The presentation was on the next to last sea day. My wife and I were the only two in the presentation which surprised me. We were offered four wines. The shipping cost to Minneapolis was $40 for four sets (8 glasses). Yes I would do it again.

I'd like to do the Reidel wine tasting again on my upcoming cruise in January, however, I prefer to carry them off rather than have shipped as just adds to the cost. I did the tasting two years ago and the cost was $62.00 so gone up considerably. The tasting set of 4 is still a bargain as to purchase online is over $150.00. I do own 2 sets of 2 of the Vinum Extreme which I love. Bought them at a winery in Niagara on the Lake, Canada for a 20% discount. They are really beautiful, haven't seen them at any stores at home. So, my question is: Does anyone know if I can take the glasses with me when I leave the ship?

Is shipping an absolute requirement? We're an honest to goodness 6 minute cab ride from the port.

Is shipping an absolute requirement? We're an honest to goodness 6 minute cab ride from the port.

We were not given the option. The reason given was due to breakage. POA1, I can see your point of view in that it just adds to the cost. For drakes2, I want you to think about putting your glasses up in the overhead and then all the other folks coming in behind you trying to cram their carry-on's in behind you.

Edited by rnrcruzin

The glasses made it through security on the ship and at the airport, I put them on the floor of the plane and they were perfectly fine, of course, it does not mean I won't have an issue the next time, but I think shipping to Canada is fairly expensive. I'll check it out once onboard, I wonder if I can buy them at Cellar Masters, as I'm planning to take a couple of their wine courses. :)

We were not given the option. The reason given was due to breakage. POA1, I can see your point of view in that it just adds to the cost. For drakes2, I want you to think about putting your glasses up in the overhead and then all the other folks coming in behind you trying to cram their carry-on's in behind you.

Follow up question: Does anyone know which line of Riedel is used? If you aren't sure but you have a set, a photo of the etching in the base, I can take it from there.

Edited by POA1

It's the Vinum series, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Montrachat and Sauvignon Blanc. I love mine and use them a lot. I'm not sure which one it is but one of the red wine glasses holds an entire bottle of wine.

Follow up question: Does anyone know which line of Riedel is used? If you aren't sure but you have a set, a photo of the etching in the base, I can take it from there.

It's the Vinum series, Burgundy, Bordeaux, Montrachat and Sauvignon Blanc. I love mine and use them a lot. I'm not sure which one it is but one of the red wine glasses holds an entire bottle of wine.

Thanks! Both the reds hold almost a bottle. 700ml, I think.

I would never buy the handmade series, the Vinum are expensive enough as it is. I'd cry if I spent in excess of $100 on one wine glass and got a chip in it.

Vinum is machine made series

Sommeliers is hand made series

easy to see:

machine made has in printed letters: VINUM

handmade has written letters: Sommeliers

https://shopriedel.com/riedel/sommeliers

I would never buy the handmade series, the Vinum are expensive enough as it is. I'd cry if I spent in excess of $100 on one wine glass and got a chip in it.

After you break a few, the tears will dry. ;) I "popped a cab" - which is not as dirty as it sounds - last week. We started out with 12 each of the Bordeaux, Burgundy, Chablis / Chardonnay: 8 each of the Port, and Sauternes / Dessert, and 4 each of the Cognac. After 15 years, we have 8 Bordeaux, 12 Burgundy, 6 Chard, all the Port, Sauternes, and Cognac. We drink a good amount of Pinot Noir, so they've held up well. The Chablis glasses do triple duty in our house: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Rose. I think that's why they took the biggest hit.

One thing I will say about the hand blown glasses is that they shatter in ways you've never seen. We still love them though. If we start to replenish with Vinum, we can probably avoid red Solo cups for a couple of decades.

• 2 weeks later...

We have sampled the tastings on the Constellation, Eclipse and Infinity. I have two sets of the Vinum series within easy fill up range. We had it shipped home.

One wine tasting not to miss is the sampling of South American wines. There were about twelve wines to sample in an hours time. Some of the Sommeliers are very generous with their servings. There was a wine from Uruguay that was outstanding! The Captain's doing the "driving"..So, enjoy. :)

Were cruising a seven day cruise on the Summit and are looking at booking, but it doesn't say the day /time of the tasting.

So my questions are :confused:

1) anyone who has sailed the Summit out of SJU know what day / time the tasting is

2) do you have to purchase before sailing or can you purchase on board using OBC?

3) do you have to carry the glasses off or can you have them shipped home?