Capnpugwash is back on the high seas, BTB on QM2

capnpugwash

Denise, thanks for the update, I don't want rain.

@ S On QM2 it is cheddar, stilton and ham, a bread roll, lettuce and pickle. There have been no brown outs at all. Had fun in G32 tonight but it was quite dead compared to other trips, still Gin & Tonic and muddled grapefruit gets you through the night. Absolutely changes the taste. Well done Sorin.

Excellent grub from the pub and a refreshing G&T that may be healthy?? the predicted arrival temp for NY is low 20s rising to 31F with possible Thunderboomers. A quick taxi (A/C) might be the order of the day. Really enjoyed the posts from Cap'n and the others.

Update No 13

We had a lovely evening at dinner with John Duffy, he is such a charming man and the conversation between all of his guests was delightful. I did go to the Commodore Club for a couple of digestifs afterwards and while sitting there I was listening to the foghorn sounding as the Grand Banks did their normal job, I think that the whistle is sounded every minute or perhaps every two minutes in fog, it is a really great sound but after about 10 minutes they stopped, I suppose that the fog cleared. I then went down to G32, it wasn’t crowded although I have seen it busier. They announced last call at 2.30am which in reality was 1.30am but everyone was done by then. It was a lot of fun and I even met a small group which included a 23 year old girl who lives within 4 miles of my home. It is a remarkably small world.

It is Wednesday June 8th and has just gone 7.15am, the sky is overcast, the sea remains slight and the barometer is falling, it doesn’t seem to have had a meaningful adverse effect on the weather but maybe it is yet to come. The wind has shifted and now comes from the south east although the strength has increased a touch to force 4; it is still called a moderate breeze. We only have 903 nautical miles to got and we continue westward at 18 knots. We are just north of the Sargasso Sea and south of Newfoundland.

I went for breakfast in the Britannia this morning and shared a table with an Australian couple who intend to buy a 1950s or 1960s classic convertible in the New York area and then drive around the US ending up in Los Angeles where they will fly home, they will ship the car to Melbourne by container on a ship and then use it at home. Isn’t that a great idea, so much better than renting a modern vehicle and fairly cost effective as well. I sat chatting to them for about an hour and a half, the time just flew by.

More later.

Had fun in G32 tonight but it was quite dead compared to other trips, still Gin & Tonic and muddled grapefruit gets you through the night. Absolutely changes the taste. Well done Sorin.

Ah, Sorin, our favorite bartender on the Labor Day 2009 sailing. :)

I enjoy the blogs too. Prefer the ones where he has some ports of call. But that's just me as I would go stir crazy backwards and forwards across the atlantic:)

You might be surprised. Cunard provides a good variety of programs. When we did the TA on QM2, the programs were so interesting that we were busy all the time.

Thanks Cap & Boytjie for the muddled grapefruit info. I must give that beverage a try:) Enjoy that nice cool ocean air Cap - take a deep breath of it for me (it's supposed to feel like 100 degrees F in NY today :eek:) -S.

Your Russian nurse sounds straight out of one of the 1920s novels I've read about ocean liners! It's amazing.

Perhaps the people obstinately running clockwise would feel sheepish if they turned around? It's too embarrassing to have to acknowledge you were wrong, and each time you do a lap, the change would seem more dramatic and embarrassing.

Wow - that really riled up the emotions. Last time I checked we lived in a free world ( at least some of us) and we are entitled to our views.

Your "view" is that none of us has a "real" life? Had you a real opinion--a debatable claim of interest to the audience reading your post, backed up with evidence--I believe your "views" would have been received and responded with the generous and cautious attitude with which we do, in fact, respond to opinions. You merely meant to insult us. This is not an opinion worthy of debate or respect.

Update No 14

Another lazy sea day today, I had lunch in the pub, a very tasty lasagne and a nice pint of Guinness. It was quite delightful really and although it was very filling, thankfully it wasn’t a large portion.

I managed to discover exactly what is meant by a crossover violinist, it isn’t a sexual deviation but rather it simply means that she plays both classical and non-classical music, I always thought that such musicians were called violinists, in this modern age of new titles someone came up with crossover. So now you know!

Tonight is the last formal evening of the westbound part on this voyage; it is designated as the Masquerade Ball which will start at around 9.45pm in the Queen’s Room. Before dinner the Senior Officers are holding their cocktail party in G32, which I will go to, it is one of the less crowded events and there is actually time and the opportunity to speak to the officers.

We will also have the parade of chefs during dinner tonight where the passengers are able to express their appreciation for all of the great food; the menu will probably include Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska. I must remember to let the waiters know that I don’t need the menus that they usually present us with.

More later.

I have a complaint for the Cap'n.... you have kept me up reading your posts till way past cocoa time! It's now 00.17 in the UK and the shrill of the alarm is scheduled in 4 hours and 42 mins :eek: Seriously though, we are new to this blog type thing but I have had such a laugh this evening reading all the threads etc., We have so far only cruised once, but I got the bug within a couple of hours and now Mr Frankie doesn't stand a chance of a holiday that doesn't include a ship! We are looking forward to joining the QV in Rome on 9th September and having been on the QM2 last year, we are loving reading about Jims adventures.... I long for the day my kids are off our payroll (sometime never so I'm told lol!) and we can enjoy more than a yearly trip with Cunard. Keep the posts coming Cap'n cos we are hooked now :)

Me and Him

Update No 14

We will also have the parade of chefs during dinner tonight where the passengers are able to express their appreciation for all of the great food; the menu will probably include Beef Wellington and Baked Alaska. I must remember to let the waiters know that I don’t need the menus that they usually present us with.

So are the menus exactly the same from TA to TA or are there standards that you will see each time with new menu items that change? Curious about how much creativity the exec chef has. I could see that they couldn't change day to day because they have a set amount of food on board. Actually, the more I think about it, they would really need to plan probably weeks or months in advance to ensure they have enough quantity of food on board. Wow, the logistics of organizing just the food for a 7 day crossing must be enormous!

So are the menus exactly the same from TA to TA or are there standards that you will see each time with new menu items that change? Curious about how much creativity the exec chef has. I could see that they couldn't change day to day because they have a set amount of food on board. Actually, the more I think about it, they would really need to plan probably weeks or months in advance to ensure they have enough quantity of food on board. Wow, the logistics of organizing just the food for a 7 day crossing must be enormous!

I do not know about the back to back TAs, but we did notice on our 16 day trip from Fort Lauderdale to Southampton that there were items on the daily menu (but certainly not full menus) repeated toward the end of the voyage--and this was in QG, which also has an a la carte menu which never changes and from which, to be honest, we ordered from more than we did from the daily menus.

Rob, there are similarities week to week and the logisticas and planning have to be a nightmare.

Update No 15

What a wonderful evening I have just had, I went to the cocktail party but as it was held in G32 and there were about 200 people there, it was baking hot so after one drink and a few chats I went up to the Chart Room where it was significantly cooler. The host this evening of our table was the Food and Beverage Manager, Bernhard Fischer. Lobster was available but I had some sliced fillet steak which was delicious, he had ordered a special Austrian dessert for the table which comprised sliced pancakes, stewed plum sauce and ice cream, it was certainly the best dessert that I have ever had on board a ship, and perhaps the best ever anywhere. I even had a second bowl which is unheard of. It was truly special and he is such a nice fellow. We had some great wine, an Austrian white, a South African red and we followed that with a French dessert wine. Two after dinner drinks in the Commodore Club and I have called it an evening.

Walking back to the stern of the ship I thought that I would get some fresh air but the decks were shut, it was quite windy but nothing untoward. It is quite warm at 58/14 degrees. the sea is still slight, we have been sounding the foghorn for the last couple of hours but have now stopped, it seems that they sound it every 2 minutes in fog. We are only 583 nautical miles from New York having sailed 2624 from Southampton. We are due there in 30 hours time so at 18 knots we should be fine for time.

I spoke last evening to Paul O’Loughlin, the Entertainment Director on board, about the Songwriter Crossing dates that are planned. Whilst the artists travelling have yet to be confirmed, he has told me that the dates are June 24th, August 15th, September 20th and 27th.

More later.

I have a complaint for the Cap'n.... you have kept me up reading your posts till way past cocoa time! It's now 00.17 in the UK and the shrill of the alarm is scheduled in 4 hours and 42 mins :eek: Seriously though, we are new to this blog type thing but I have had such a laugh this evening reading all the threads etc., We have so far only cruised once, but I got the bug within a couple of hours and now Mr Frankie doesn't stand a chance of a holiday that doesn't include a ship! We are looking forward to joining the QV in Rome on 9th September and having been on the QM2 last year, we are loving reading about Jims adventures.... I long for the day my kids are off our payroll (sometime never so I'm told lol!) and we can enjoy more than a yearly trip with Cunard. Keep the posts coming Cap'n cos we are hooked now :)

Me and Him

So sorry.:D

Hi Cap. I think perhaps not all passengers love the foghorn, although I share your affection for it.

I remember the first time I was on QM2, and the foghorn sounded early in the dawn hours. Later in the morning on an elevator, I said to no one in particular: Weren't the fog horns great last night? Judging by the reaction, it was not an elevator filled with fog horn fans. But I really like that the passengers I've encountered on QM2 are most often cordial and conversational, even if we don't share the same joys. I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.

There is little or no breeze at all here; the air is hot and still. Please continue to enjoy your voyage. And thanks for what I think of as your postcards from sea. :)

Best wishes,

Salacia

Me and Him

Hi The Frankies, Mrs Frankie my husband Tony has found since our first trip on QM2 September 2009 all I want to do is cruise. Poor thing, won't be doing anymore beach holidays if I get my own way (which I usually do).

Hope you enjoy your trip on QV, I'm sure you will. Let us know what you think when you return.

Catherine

... he had ordered a special Austrian dessert for the table which comprised sliced pancakes, stewed plum sauce and ice cream, it was certainly the best dessert that I have ever had on board a ship, and perhaps the best ever anywhere. I even had a second bowl which is unheard of. It was truly special and he is such a nice fellow.

Cap'n, please do share the name of that desert with us!

Update No 16

Today is Thursday June 9th and sadly for a lot of passengers on board it is packing day, bags will be out in the corridors from about 5pm. Gaining an hour each night certainly eases the “jet lag” or whatever you wish to call it but it still upsets my body clock so I woke this morning at 4am which at home is 8am. It was too early to sensibly get up but having laid there for an hour I couldn’t do it any more so up I got. There is not a lot happening on board at that time so I watched a bit of TV just to kill some time. Weather-wise it is quite warm for 6am, 61/16 degrees, it is overcast with a force 4 breeze from the south east, our position is south and slightly west of Halifax, Nova Scotia, our course is west south west. We continue to plod along at just 18 knots and we have covered 2751 nautical miles since sailing from Southampton and have a mere 457 miles to go. The sea is a beautiful bright blue, perhaps because we are nearing the Continental Shelf where the ocean depths reduce drastically.

I had an early breakfast up in the buffet and went to the spa as soon as it opened, I had it to myself and it was great. I surfaced from there at about 11.30 and walked along deck 7 outside in the sun. The ship was surrounded by fog and the horn was being sounded, yet it was as though someone had cut the top off the fog and opened the lid because the sun was streaming down. It seemed most bizarre. Anyway I sat on a lifebelt container and took advantage of the sun’s rare appearance, I went back to my cabin to change and then I went down to the pub on deck 2. The Dixie Music was being played today as it is the last sea day before the ship docks. The musicians come from the Queen’s Room Orchestra and played about 10 or 12 pieces including Bill Bailey and When the Saints Go Marching In. They were excellent as usual and I just wish that they played for longer than their 45 minute slot.

Tonight’s dress code is Elegant Casual as it is the last night, hopefully the guests on our table will all turn up so that we can say our farewells.

More later.

Update No 16

Today is Thursday June 9th and sadly for a lot of passengers on board it is packing day, bags will be out in the corridors from about 5pm. Gaining an hour each night certainly eases the “jet lag” or whatever you wish to call it but it still upsets my body clock so I woke this morning at 4am which at home is 8am.

Tonight’s dress code is Elegant Casual as it is the last night, hopefully the guests on our table will all turn up so that we can say our farewells.

More later.

Just came across your message board and have enjoyed reading your posts. We'll be meeting on the Nov. 17 TA from New York. Just curious: how is the CC M&G arranged on Cunard? So far there are only 5 of us reading the 11/17 board. I look forward to reading more about your crossings so we'll know what to expect in November.

Denise, thanks for the update, I don't want rain.

@ S On QM2 it is cheddar, stilton and ham, a bread roll, lettuce and pickle. There have been no brown outs at all. Had fun in G32 tonight but it was quite dead compared to other trips, still Gin & Tonic and muddled grapefruit gets you through the night. Absolutely changes the taste. Well done Sorin.

Hi Glad the lights have stayed on. I agree about the Gin & Tonic and I will try it with the muddled grapefruit...sounds delightful. On the weather front we just missed the high temp record for today. It was 95 F...my 15 block walk home was not fun. It is raining now and may delay the Black Eye Pea's concert in central park . Good news is that it should be cooler tomorrow.

Denise

it seems that they sound it every 2 minutes in fog/QUOTE]

You got that right. Sound signals in restricted visibility: A power-driven vessel making way through the water shall sound at intervals of not more than 2 minutes one prolonged blast. A prolonged blast is 4 - 6 seconds duration.

I've enjoyed your posts so much I'm sharing the sadness that the voyage is ending. And I'm sitting in a chair ashore!

Jon.

Archived