Capnpugwash is back on the high seas, BTB on QM2

capnpugwash

Cap,

I have been remiss in not thanking you for your recent travel posts. I thoroughly enjoy them. Actually, I look forward to hearing about your adventures. I have plenty of my own, but lack the talent to report on them. Keep them coming. You are fortunate to be able to have them and generous to share.

Jeanne

Capn,

As one of the aforementioned "correspondents" (albeit an infrequent one who has not yet contributed to this particular thread), let me take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your live trip reports. I can always count on an enjoyable and informative narrative when I see one of your posts. Keep up the good work. Your trip reports are much appreciated, as are your numerous other contributions to this Cunard forum.

Regards,

John.

I find the Capn's posts to be invaluable in many ways. I'm taking my Dad on the QM2 in July and it's something that he and I are VERY excited about. We read the Capn's updates together and they provide us with a lot of great information to keep in mind when it's our turn on this great ship. My dad, having crossed on the original Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth when he was a kid, has such special memories of those crossings, the stories of which, my sister and I grew up hearing. The Capn's updates remind my Dad of the life he experienced on the high seas on Cunard ships almost 60 years ago. And since our particular QM2 voyage is not a crossing, we've been enjoying the "crossing experience" vicariously... And in each and every one of these updates we read, it stirs a memory in my Dad that he then regales me with more stories of his experiences on the original Queens.

And most importantly: although we may only be going on a 5 night excursion on the QM2 - creating a significant father/son memory of a lifetime - by enjoying all of the Capn's posts and what you refer to as mundane, it's allowing my Dad and I to have well over a month of Queen Mary excitement prior to even leaving, and building up the excitement to our day of departure.

We look forward to each and every post he writes... And even if it's as mundane as a report of what entree he had, or what direction he walked around Deck 7, it gives my Dad and I something else to share and say "not much longer and it'll be us having that entree, or taking that walk".

To imply that people have no life because they are enjoying these updates is laughable. I, myself, am in final rehearsals for a show that I'm starring in that premieres in Montreal at the end of the week, and then moves to New York in the fall. I luckily have a week off from it that allows me to take the QM2 excursion in July. That's HARDLY what I'd call "needing to get a life"! And I can promise you that many people also avidly enjoying the Capn's posts on here on this site, have lives that are equal to, or even more full than my own.

We are so grateful to people like the great Cap'n, and Pepperrn who give us insight into the Cunard experience and these ships in ways that we may not otherwise have, which can ONLY enhance our experiences when it's our turn to board.

Ignore the nonsense and keep posting Cap'n!!

I must say, very rude. Don't read the posts if they annoy you. I certainly have a very full life -- married many years, 2 children, full time teaching career -- and I very much enjoy Jim's posts. I wish I could travel as much as he -- but have to wait until retired. I especially enjoy the writings since Jim and I ate dinner together during two crossings last year and I am living vicariously through him now. Keep up the good work, Jim. Many people enjoy hearing about your journeys while remembering our own time aboard a Cunard ship! Thank you.

Is this all some sort of wind-up. I have just looked at this site after a few months and I cannot believe this is serious. How can a man just travel back and forth across the Atlantic and write everyday about his mundane experiences and about "his friends" among the crew. It has to be a wind -up ,surely. What I find more extraordinary are the comments and egging on of some of the correspondents here. All I can say is there are some seriously sad and lonely people out there if this is true. For goodness sake get a life or better still get a good wife or husband ( or partner).

What a horrible individual you are. Without knowing anything about the good Capn you choose to make such derogatory and insulting remarks. I sincerely hope I never have the misfortune to run into you on any cruise I undertake.

What a horrible individual you are. Without knowing anything about the good Capn you choose to make such derogatory and insulting remarks. I sincerely hope I never have the misfortune to run into you on any cruise I undertake.

It also insults us, the reader. I'm over it now though and I hope the rest of you are too! Capn's posts, and the commentary of others here is one of my favorite reads each day! What a fun community it is. It's interesting that capn had over 19000 views of the posts of his last journey, that's a lot of interest. Let's not let a bad apple ruin it. Full steam ahead I say!

Is this all some sort of wind-up. I have just looked at this site after a few months and I cannot believe this is serious. How can a man just travel back and forth across the Atlantic and write everyday about his mundane experiences and about "his friends" among the crew. It has to be a wind -up ,surely. What I find more extraordinary are the comments and egging on of some of the correspondents here. All I can say is there are some seriously sad and lonely people out there if this is true. For goodness sake get a life or better still get a good wife or husband ( or partner).

Let me put you straight on a thing or two.

The Cap'n has a wonderful life and gets to do the things that he likes doing He is the envy of many travellers.

Lots of us have travelled many times with Cunard and become good friends not just with our fellow passengers, but also with many crew members. Maybe that's something you wouldn't understand. For us, it is always a pleasure to read about what's happening on board, especially if it involves those with whom we are acquainted.

I have yet to meet any "sad and lonely" people on board and can only surmise that this subject must be your speciality.

I would be absolutely astonished if anyone else happened to agree with you in any way shape or form.

Come back when you've grown up.

Thank you all very much for your very kind and supportive messages.:)

Update No 9

The lunch was excellent, I couldn’t resist the fig and prosciutto flatbread and this was followed by some chicken, dessert was a selection of fruit sorbets. I had a glass of Chilean Gewürztraminer wine followed by a Chilean red. Absolutely delicious they were, a couple of cups of coffee completed the feast. It really is a nice room but only if you can get a table on the side of the restaurant so that you don’t have the smokers staring in at you from the Terrace Bar on deck 8.

There is a real murk developing and visibility is quite restricted and in addition it is absolutely pouring with rain, it is bouncing about 4 inches off the decks and there are massive puddles forming, what this has accomplished is the cessation of jogging and walking around the decks, so it is not all bad news.

Tonight is semi formal dress code, so our table won’t be hosted this evening.

It has just occurred to me that I have neglected to tell you that we have 7 or 8 stowaways on board, these are not the human kind but rather pigeons and more specifically they are racing pigeons. They have the rings on their little legs and were racing from France to England and got blown off course, they are now resident on deck 12 where passengers have been seen feeding them with bread and cake from the King’s Court. Each day they fly off from the deck and circle the ship, ostensibly trying to re-establish their route but as we are out of sight of land they just come back, plus they’re getting constantly fed which is probably better than they get at home. I suppose they will remain on board until we get close to the UK next week and then they will be off flying home. Their owners must be concerned as I think these races are normally over in a matter of hours, rather than 14 days, so no prizes this time. I hope that they don’t decide to get off as we approach the USA because I think that there are a lot of predatory birds that will like a nice tasty pigeon, especially if they are stuffed full of QM2 cake.

It is 6.35pm and in about 30 miles we will have completed half of the crossing. The sea and weather are unchanged but the murk has gone and it is a lovely, albeit cool evening. The sun is shining onto the oily sea and there are tiny flecks of sunlight being reflected. Our speed remains at 18 knots and there is hardly any movement on the ship, it is rather like a large floating hotel.

Today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day and I would like to offer my gratitude to those who put their lives in harm’s way then and also to those who sadly have to continue to do just that today. May they all return safely to their homes and loved ones soon.

More later.

Hi Capn, Just caught up with your latest posts, loved the tale about the birds. I think you are right somebody will be worried about them.

Sounds like you are having another brilliant time on QM2. Please keep us informed about the rest of your trip. Just had a very busy day as a nurse and your posts transport me to the QM2 wishing I was on board. Thanks capn.

Catherine

Well Capn we are still following so keep the updates coming.

Funny how Aggsy seemed to like you on April fool's Day, when he thought you might be the father of Colin Montgomerie :rolleyes:.

Also please get word to the birds that they probably wouldn't want to stay in NYC. The local ones might not be so friendly.:D

Denise

Today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day and I would like to offer my gratitude to those who put their lives in harm’s way then and also to those who sadly have to continue to do just that today. May they all return safely to their homes and loved ones soon.

Hear, hear!

s this all some sort of wind-up. I have just looked at this site after a few months and I cannot believe this is serious. How can a man just travel back and forth across the Atlantic and write everyday about his mundane experiences and about "his friends" among the crew. It has to be a wind -up ,surely. ./QUOTE]

Envy. Pure envy.

Jon.

More later.

Well said. My great uncle died in France in July 44 and we often talk about him.

Hope the pigeons have the sense to stay on board when you dock :)

Capn:

Would you please ask the tugboat lady if she was on the QV thru the Panama Canal in March?

If I met her it was one of those one-time encounters in Brittania lunch. Or else my foggy memory is totally shot (and I'm far too young to consider that).

Sorry for delay, she wasn't:(

Wow...what a sad sack you are!!! Think you are jealous and a very bitter, sad person. Talk about who needs to get a life! You do. We all love following the Cap'n on his daily adventures, and lol at his observations.

dm

Let me put you straight on a thing or two.

The Cap'n has a wonderful life and gets to do the things that he likes doing He is the envy of many travellers.

Lots of us have travelled many times with Cunard and become good friends not just with our fellow passengers, but also with many crew members. Maybe that's something you wouldn't understand. For us, it is always a pleasure to read about what's happening on board, especially if it involves those with whom we are acquainted.

I have yet to meet any "sad and lonely" people on board and can only surmise that this subject must be your speciality.

I would be absolutely astonished if anyone else happened to agree with you in any way shape or form.

Come back when you've grown up.

Well said.

I'd like to add my name to those who thoroughly enjoy the Cap'n's posts.

Wow - that really riled up the emotions. Last time I checked we lived in a free world ( at least some of us) and we are entitled to our views. Just thought that it might be a wind up as it does seem a strange occupation - at least from my point of view. Obviously, everyone who posted with regards to my comments don't believe it is. Fine ,enjoy what the Capn has for lunch and dinner and his Spa days ad infinitum !!

BTW I do find this site very educational vis a vis cruising and I will continue to view it as long as I am not hanged drawn and quartered if I am caught on a cruise by some of the posters here.

Archived