Capnpugwash is back on the high seas, BTB on QM2

capnpugwash

I really enjoy the posts-keep going back and forth and reporting.

Sometime somewhere in the South Atlantic last January Capt. Wright was moved to clear up the directional deck walking thing.

He told us it depends on the hemisphere and the ship direction. So the rest of the world cruise everyone walked and ran helter skelter, and if one looked up to the bridge, you could see Capt. Wright rolling on the floor laughing at his cool joke, at least until he left us in Sydney.

It's not serious, people.

David

I really enjoy the posts-keep going back and forth and reporting.

Sometime somewhere in the South Atlantic last January Capt. Wright was moved to clear up the directional deck walking thing.

He told us it depends on the hemisphere and the ship direction. So the rest of the world cruise everyone walked and ran helter skelter, and if one looked up to the bridge, you could see Capt. Wright rolling on the floor laughing at his cool joke, at least until he left us in Sydney.

It's not serious, people.

David

Hey David, great anecdote :) Years ago, I noticed that water went down the drain clockwise in one part of the world and counter-clockwise in the opposite hemisphere. So I briefly wondered if that would be applicable to runners, depending on what part of the world from which they came. But then I decided it didn't matter all that much as long as I'm not in the path of the runners :eek: But you're right, it's not serious - at least on a ship like QM2 where there's plenty of room for everyone.

Cheers,

Salacia

Cap, you'll be on QM2 when she docks in Manhattan on 01July, right? If possible, could you post what pier QM2 is using please. Thank you very much. -S.

I believe that it will be 88.

The dessert was called Kaisermareen.

Update No 17

We had a pod of about 100 dolphins swimming and jumping on the aft end of the ship on the port side, unfortunately they were heading diagonally away from us so we only had the scene for a couple of minutes, but it was exhilarating while it lasted. The weather has been quite lovely all afternoon; the fog has dissipated leaving a light scattering of clouds. It is not particularly warm at 61/16 degrees; it does feel quite sticky with the humidity at 88%. The sea is warmer at 69/21 degrees, the sea condition is slight and we have about 11 hours until we head under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, it is only 223 nautical miles away!

I had a couple of drinks in the Chart Room before dinner and then joined the table, everyone was there and they were all pretty much packed and ready to go. The meal was good and after it we said our farewells and went our separate ways. I popped up to deck 9 for a couple of drinks but it was very quiet. The lady with the 21 year old dog was there and was in deep conversation with one of the older officers, he may have been a dog fancier or perhaps a dog handler in the past. Anyway they left together. I popped down to G32 but that reminded me of a mortuary, except there is more life in a mortuary. The band Icon was playing and to be fair they were ok, but the music that they play is too bland for me. No-one was dancing at all although there were only 10 or 12 of us there. I can’t help but think that if they played a little more reggae and soul and a little less lift music they might encourage more people onto the floor. Maybe they are told not to do that by the Entertainment Department, I can’t see any other explanation.

It is now midnight so we are very close to the east coast of the USA and we will be under the bridge in 5 hours. Time I went to bed if I am to get up to see it all happen again.

More later.

It is now midnight so we are very close to the east coast of the USA and we will be under the bridge in 5 hours. Time I went to bed if I am to get up to see it all happen again.

More later.

Here's to good weather capn. I have a need to do the crossing again and again until I arrive in New York to a stunning sun rise. Pouring rain was an awful way to do it for me. Enjoy!

Hi Glad the lights have stayed on. I agree about the Gin & Tonic and I will try it with the muddled grapefruit...sounds delightful. On the weather front we just missed the high temp record for today. It was 95 F...my 15 block walk home was not fun. It is raining now and may delay the Black Eye Pea's concert in central park . Good news is that it should be cooler tomorrow.

Denise

You?

Gin & Tonic?

Never!!!

Hope to pay you a visit 4 or 5 July.

Cheesecake at Juniors?

Anamaria

PS: Pugwash is enjoying himself WAY too much without us!:D

PPS: Salacia, l always love your comments:)

The dessert was called Kaisermareen.

Update No 17

We had a pod of about 100 dolphins swimming and jumping on the aft end of the ship on the port side, unfortunately they were heading diagonally away from us so we only had the scene for a couple of minutes, but it was exhilarating while it lasted. The weather has been quite lovely all afternoon; the fog has dissipated leaving a light scattering of clouds. It is not particularly warm at 61/16 degrees; it does feel quite sticky with the humidity at 88%. The sea is warmer at 69/21 degrees, the sea condition is slight and we have about 11 hours until we head under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, it is only 223 nautical miles away!

I had a couple of drinks in the Chart Room before dinner and then joined the table, everyone was there and they were all pretty much packed and ready to go. The meal was good and after it we said our farewells and went our separate ways. I popped up to deck 9 for a couple of drinks but it was very quiet. The lady with the 21 year old dog was there and was in deep conversation with one of the older officers, he may have been a dog fancier or perhaps a dog handler in the past. Anyway they left together. I popped down to G32 but that reminded me of a mortuary, except there is more life in a mortuary. The band Icon was playing and to be fair they were ok, but the music that they play is too bland for me. No-one was dancing at all although there were only 10 or 12 of us there. I can’t help but think that if they played a little more reggae and soul and a little less lift music they might encourage more people onto the floor. Maybe they are told not to do that by the Entertainment Department, I can’t see any other explanation.

More later.

Hi Capn, I may add a small correction to the spelling of the special dessert you mentionned. It is called correctly "Kaiserschmarrn". The name stands for a very popular Austrian dessert and means "Emperor rubbish (or mishmash)" There" are quite a few explanations why it is called that way. See Wikipedia. You can find the recipe for it via GOOGLE under: kaiserschmarrn recipe" in English. You even find videos showing how to prepare this dessert

via GOOGLE under: "videos für kaiserschmarrn" (in German) Enjoy!

regards from kilotango (no Austrian, but from the Cheese Fondue and Rösti Country)

Hi Capn, I may add a small correction to the spelling of the special dessert you mentionned. It is called correctly "Kaiserschmarrn". The name stands for a very popular Austrian dessert and means "Emperor rubbish (or mishmash)" There" are quite a few explanations why it is called that way. See Wikipedia. You can find the recipe for it via GOOGLE under: kaiserschmarrn recipe" in English. You even find videos showing how to prepare this dessert

via GOOGLE under: "videos für kaiserschmarrn" (in German) Enjoy!

regards from kilotango (no Austrian, but from the Cheese Fondue and Rösti Country)

Apologies for the error, a head waiter from India gave me the spelling, but I appreciate the true spelling :)

Update No 18

Today is Friday June 10th and we sailed under the VN Bridge a little early, arriving in the New York harbour we were greeted by a lovely sunrise that soon sliced through the overnight murk. We turned through 180 degrees just to the east of Governor’s Island and backed the 400 yards to Pier 12 at Red Hook. Lines went ashore at 6.10am and we were secured within 10 minutes. We have three gangways today, two for passengers and the other for crew. The self disembarkation started at 6.50am today and by that time no baggage had been off loaded at all. In Southampton by this time they would have dealt with most, if not all of the bags.

It is a lovely morning but I can feel the humidity already. The temperature is currently 61/16 degrees and is set to rise to 85 later today.

More later.

Cap, you'll be on QM2 when she docks in Manhattan on 01July, right? If possible, could you post what pier QM2 is using please. Thank you very much. -S.

Schedued on tickets for Pier 92 on July 1st, but quite often this is a mistake and Pier 88 is used.

I think only 1 other ship is in Manhattan on 1st July so Pier 88 more likely.

Lukily they are not far apart.

Schedued on tickets for Pier 92 on July 1st, but quite often this is a mistake and Pier 88 is used.

I think only 1 other ship is in Manhattan on 1st July so Pier 88 more likely.

Lukily they are not far apart.

I am beside myself with excitement as it is many years now since I docked in Manhattan at either 88 or 92! That was on QE2 of course as Scary Mary has always berthed in Red Hook on my trips since, so this will be a huge treat. Does anyone know if she is in Manhattan or Brooklyn on 6th July?

I am beside myself with excitement as it is many years now since I docked in Manhattan at either 88 or 92! That was on QE2 of course as Scary Mary has always berthed in Red Hook on my trips since, so this will be a huge treat. Does anyone know if she is in Manhattan or Brooklyn on 6th July?

Manhattan, Pier 88/90, July 1, 6. Always exciting to have a Cunard ship on the Westside.

It will be a nice warm sunny day here(as you already know).....yesterday it was almost 100 degrees & tomorrows forecast is for rain - so you actually have the best day//////enjoy our city & we will be watching you sail out later today!!!!

Rotterdam

Apologies for the error, a head waiter from India gave me the spelling, but I appreciate the true spelling :)

Update No 18

Today is Friday June 10th and we sailed under the VN Bridge a little early, arriving in the New York harbour we were greeted by a lovely sunrise that soon sliced through the overnight murk. We turned through 180 degrees just to the east of Governor’s Island and backed the 400 yards to Pier 12 at Red Hook. Lines went ashore at 6.10am and we were secured within 10 minutes. We have three gangways today, two for passengers and the other for crew. The self disembarkation started at 6.50am today and by that time no baggage had been off loaded at all. In Southampton by this time they would have dealt with most, if not all of the bags.

It is a lovely morning but I can feel the humidity already. The temperature is currently 61/16 degrees and is set to rise to 85 later today.

More later.

Update No 19 from a hot and sticky New York.

I got off the ship at around 10.30, the immigration was not as smooth as Manhattan and I was photographed, fingerprinted and questioned as to how long I was staying, he looked blankly at me when I said that I was In Transit, so I explained that I was getting back on again. This finally got through to him and having stamped my passport and tossed it back to me, I made my way out to meet the car from Arecibo that I had booked. It was already about 82/28 degrees and humid as hell so it was a pleasure to get into the Lincoln Town car that awaited me. The air conditioning was great and the leather seats were plush.

I asked the driver who was from Ecuador to take me over to 6th Avenue and 51st Street in Manhattan, to wait for about 15 minutes whilst I ran an errand and then to bring me back to Queen Italian Restaurant at 84 Court Street, Brooklyn. The traffic was dire being a Friday and we crawled over Brooklyn Bridge, up the FDR and across at 38th Street (I think). He dropped me, waited and then we slogged back to Brooklyn. The whole trip took about an hour and a quarter, we hadn’t discussed a price and I was pleasantly surprised when he asked for just $60. I thought that price was excellent value and once again Arecibo came up trumps.

The restaurant is old style Italian with about 35 tables, so it probably holds just about 150 people. They do a 3 course lunch including coffee for $26.50, I ordered Home Made Mozzarella with prosciutto and tomatoes, gnocchi with veal and tomato sauce and a slice of cheesecake, I had a glass of Gavi di Gavi at $11 and the whole thing came to $60 including a good tip.

I then got a yellow cab from the restaurant back to the ship and there was such a volume of traffic heading to pier 12 that it took over 30 minutes for the 10 minute trip, still I arrived safe but quite hot, reboarding was ok and I was soon back on board with a small glass of cold Becks, wonderful.

I went to the spa and the steam room was about as hot as it had been walking a few blocks in Brooklyn. It is a very nice part of the city and the people are fantastic to just watch, they seem so colourful and eclectic, real characters as they say.

The passenger muster is about to take place, but I don’t have to go so I may find somewhere comfortable and have the other half of the Becks from earlier.

More later.

Hey David, great anecdote :) Years ago, I noticed that water went down the drain clockwise in one part of the world and counter-clockwise in the opposite hemisphere. So I briefly wondered if that would be applicable to runners, depending on what part of the world from which they came. But then I decided it didn't matter all that much as long as I'm not in the path of the runners :eek: But you're right, it's not serious - at least on a ship like QM2 where there's plenty of room for everyone.

Cheers,

Salacia

Hi Salacia...I can't wait to finally check out that drain vs. hemisphere thing for myself next march. :D

You?

Gin & Tonic?

Never!!!

Hope to pay you a visit 4 or 5 July.

Cheesecake at Juniors?

Anamaria

PS: Pugwash is enjoying himself WAY too much without us!:D

PPS: Salacia, l always love your comments:)

Anamaria

Of course Gin & Tonic...what else? (Don't answer that...lol)

I will be here the whole 4th of july weekend. Mr. Cuomo ( the gov) has even given us employees a day off for good behavior. Funny you should mention Junior's...i was there a couple of weeks ago for a retirement lunch and that's when i thought of you. i didn't realize that it was just behind the Marriot Marquis. It's a date!

Pugwash is having a lot of fun. Wish I was there. I think I finally did pretty good with the weather...for a change. Black Eye Peas got cancelled last night many upset folks.

Denise

I then got a yellow cab from the restaurant back to the ship and there was such a volume of traffic heading to pier 12 that it took over 30 minutes for the 10 minute trip, still I arrived safe but quite hot, reboarding was ok and I was soon back on board with a small glass of cold Becks, wonderful.
Cap'n:

This is the one thing about taking a cab to the pier in October that has me a bit concerned. It's unpleasant to be sitting at a standstill watching the cab meter tick higher every minute. Do you recall what your '10-minute' cab fare was? We'll be staying in Brooklyn before our cruise so the distance and experience may be similar to yours.

I got off the ship at around 10.30, the immigration was not as smooth as Manhattan and I was photographed, fingerprinted and questioned as to how long I was staying, he looked blankly at me when I said that I was In Transit, so I explained that I was getting back on again. This finally got through to him and having stamped my passport and tossed it back to me, I made my way out to meet the car from Arecibo that I had booked. It was already about 82/28 degrees and humid as hell so it was a pleasure to get into the Lincoln Town car that awaited me. The air conditioning was great and the leather seats were plush.

I asked the driver who was from Ecuador to take me over to 6th Avenue and 51st Street in Manhattan, to wait for about 15 minutes whilst I ran an errand and then to bring me back to Queen Italian Restaurant at 84 Court Street, Brooklyn. The traffic was dire being a Friday and we crawled over Brooklyn Bridge, up the FDR and across at 38th Street (I think). He dropped me, waited and then we slogged back to Brooklyn. The whole trip took about an hour and a quarter, we hadn’t discussed a price and I was pleasantly surprised when he asked for just $60. I thought that price was excellent value and once again Arecibo came up trumps.

The restaurant is old style Italian with about 35 tables, so it probably holds just about 150 people. They do a 3 course lunch including coffee for $26.50, I ordered Home Made Mozzarella with prosciutto and tomatoes, gnocchi with veal and tomato sauce and a slice of cheesecake, I had a glass of Gavi di Gavi at $11 and the whole thing came to $60 including a good tip.

I went to the spa and the steam room was about as hot as it had been walking a few blocks in Brooklyn. It is a very nice part of the city and the people are fantastic to just watch, they seem so colourful and eclectic, real characters as they say.

The passenger muster is about to take place, but I don’t have to go so I may find somewhere comfortable and have the other half of the Becks from earlier.

More later.

Hey Cap, it's positively chilly in NY today compared to what it's been for the previous two days! The only cool thing was your posts from sea :)

About being photographed and fingerprinted - is that something new? I can imagine how that slowed down disembarkation. Maybe they're looking for more illegal stowaways. BTW, I got a blank look too once from the maitre d in the MDR on QM2 when I told him we were back-to-back passengers. While his face was expressionless, I could see his mind racing to figure out what the heck back-to-back meant:eek: so I told him we were intransit which thankfully he understood (unlike your Immigration Inspector).

Happy to read that The Queen Restaurant is living up to its reputation. Next time I'm there, I going to suggest they offer a special discount for QM2 passengers :)

Hopefully, the rain and thunderstorms won't start until after your sailaway. -S.

Cap'n, would you kindly post the day's temperatures and weather conditions for your crossing. That is that you generally do already though. The HAL ship ROTTERDAM is making a back to back traditional crossing from Rotterdam to NYC next month. I have the feeling that many of the souls over on the HAL board are thinking a southerly route will be taken, because that is the only course they have experienced. One poster insisted that from their past experience the weather will be delightful, "tee shirt weather," and to tell the kind poster other wise set them off in a tizzy. I'll relay your crossings weather conditions to the HAL Roll Call for the July 12 to 21 ROTTERDAM trip. Or even better, to give all those HAL people a taste of a traditional crossing, feel free to post your observations about the crossing life there too!

Hi Jim, You and I met last Nov on the 2 night to Cherbourg in the Golden Lion at cocktail hour, I was continuing on across the Atlantic, back to home in Colorado. In any case I'll be onboard the Rotterdam July 12 for her eastbound TA, with a stop in Cohb. I'll bet the HAL thread re that trip would at the very least be a good read for you, and that your contribution would be welcomed.

Hi Jim, You and I met last Nov on the 2 night to Cherbourg in the Golden Lion at cocktail hour, I was continuing on across the Atlantic, back to home in Colorado. In any case I'll be onboard the Rotterdam July 12 for her eastbound TA, with a stop in Cohb. I'll bet the HAL thread re that trip would at the very least be a good read for you, and that your contribution would be welcomed.

FWIW, I plan to do a "live" thread form the Rotterdam TA continuing on to the Prinsendam Arctic Explorer 7/25 and concluding with the QM2 crossing 8/15. Since I consider the focus of the trip the Arctic Cruise, I plan to report door to door on the HAL forum and duplicate the QM2 portion here.

Roy

More later.

Hi Cap'n, Hope That you have enjoyed your Westbound crossing,your time today in New York and that you enjoy your Eastbound crossing back to Southampton :) Regards,Jerry

Saw QM2 backing into port this morning. Glad you had a nice time in NYC. You went from one Queen to another. The Queen Restaurant is a hidden neighborhood treasure. How did you ever find it? Hope you liked it as much as us? We like to go there before the movies.

Looking forward to our trip on the 6th. Counting the days :)

FWIW, I plan to do a "live" thread form the Rotterdam TA continuing on to the Prinsendam Arctic Explorer 7/25 and concluding with the QM2 crossing 8/15. Since I consider the focus of the trip the Arctic Cruise, I plan to report door to door on the HAL forum and duplicate the QM2 portion here.

Roy

Rafinmd

This sounds like an awesome trip. I will be watching for your "live" thread. At some point I would like to experience HAL's smaller ships.I have done a westbound TA on Zuiderdam including several ports in the Med. We took the southern route in Nov and the weather was nice and warm.

Denise

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion. What one person may find interesting another might find totally mundane . I wonder though if I am right and it is a wind -up will all those who castigated me apologise - actually for doing exactly the same as they accused me of. I am sure the Capn is a fine fellow but I cannot believe that there are not a few out there who agree with me. To say "as long as you are tolerated" seems rather rich considering you said, to quote "you are entitled to your opinion"

Anyway enough already I am sure the Capn's Spas and his menu are far more interesting than having a go at me.

Aggsy,

I wonder if you are not one of those 'jogging against the flow' types the good Capn was writing about recently. :D

Hi DKNY...were are your travels taking you next March?

BTW, Denise and Anamarie, thanks heaps for mentioning Juniors - now I can't get their cheescake outta my brain!:eek::)

But to be more serious, you also brought back the faint sweet memory of my parents taking the family to the original Juniors on Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn to celebrate my older sister's birthday back in the day. :)

For those who not know Juniors, take a look at this http://www.juniorscheesecake.com/

Warning: just looking at the photos cause weight gain! :)

Regards,

Salacia

Archived