All Things Explorer of the Seas! -- Part 2

I loved 7388 and 7688 and was thrilled to have them.

The major con is the walk to the aft but it didn't bother me. Some folks don't like the infrastructure beams, but I found that the beams and the wake gave visual structure to what is most of the time an unchanging view of the ocean, the sky, and the horizon. I've been in a side balcony many times and all you looked at was the empty ocean except when in port.

The pros are the sheer size of the balcony and the ability to see 270 degrees. Twice my mom and I were on a 5 day cruise to Bermuda with no M&M, so we invited the roll call to stop by for a pre dinner get together. We easily had 20 people on the balcony and it wasn't crowded.

I would echo the comments of 138east about that cabin. The interior itself is no different from any other E1, but holy cow the balcony. The long walk also doesn't bother me since with that comes less foot traffic in the hall.

Now, the metal superstructure of the ship is there and it's not going anywhere. It didn't kill the experience for me, but it sure would have been nicer if it wasn't part of the view. I had an aft cabin on my last Celebrity Millennium cruise. Those balconies are MUCH nicer--less cavernous, wide open view--however they're also priced MUCH higher.

Lastly, some people just don't like being aft. I read on these boards about too much motion and vibration. Quite frankly, I don't notice any difference in motion or vibration (more or less) anywhere on the ship, but that could just be me.

I sprung for a GS on my next EXotS cruise in a couple months, but I would definitely consider 7688 for a future sailing. Enjoy!

We just went on the Explorer of the Seas for the first time this past March. Must Do's in my opinion on the ship, see all of the shows, go early to find a good seat. Explore all of the decks and just enjoy your self.

Check again. Unless my eyes are failing me, the drydock schedule says the Explorer is scheduled for February of 2015.

It's 2015. The EXOS last day in Cape Liberty will be November 6, 2014. Hello QOS !!!

I would like to know about Promenade Cabins. Best location, noise, deck, etc. I have read that the cabins near the pub can have a lot of noise. Other than that, pros and cons please.

Anything you have to contribute will be helpful.

Thanks

We just got back from an EOS cruise in 7559. We loved the location of this Promenade view room. It was directly above the Promenade Cafe on deck 7. Pros include how close it was to the cafe. Easy to run down in the morning for coffee.

Cons for some would be the noise level during the parades and parties. A couple of times, it was pretty noisy until at least 11 or 11:30 pm. It worked ok for us as we didn't go to bed earlier than that. We did not have any of noise from the pub.

I would definitely stay in that cabin again.

I would like to know about Promenade Cabins. Best location, noise, deck, etc. I have read that the cabins near the pub can have a lot of noise. Other than that, pros and cons please.

Anything you have to contribute will be helpful.

Thanks

I just chose one of these cabins for an upcoming cruise and read a lot of posts about them. From looking at a couple of cruises my experience is that:

Deck 6 sells out last: there are some privacy issues as you are very close to the promenade. Deck 8 sells out first: I think that people like it because you are not so obvious to people walking down on the promenade, and the windows are tilted for easy viewing down below.

Don't book the first set of cabins nearest the aft on any level as the better viewing is midship and towards the front of the ship. Some people have mentioned not being near the pub as it can get noisy.

I also like the cabins nearer to the forward elevators to be closer to Cafe Promenade for coffee/snacks. I booked my kids in one on the starboard side so they can look down on Cafe Promenade and see what's going on.

Edited by marci22

I just chose one of these cabins for an upcoming cruise and read a lot of posts about them. From looking at a couple of cruises my experience is that:

Deck 6 sells out last: there are some privacy issues as you are very close to the promenade. Deck 8 sells out first: I think that people like it because you are not so obvious to people walking down on the promenade, and the windows are tilted for easy viewing down below.

Don't book the first set of cabins nearest the aft on any level as the better viewing is midship and towards the front of the ship. Some people have mentioned not being near the pub as it can get noisy.

I also like the cabins nearer to the forward elevators to be closer to Cafe Promenade for coffee/snacks. I booked my kids in one on the starboard side so they can look down on Cafe Promenade and see what's going on.

We just got back from an EOS cruise in 7559. We loved the location of this Promenade view room. It was directly above the Promenade Cafe on deck 7. Pros include how close it was to the cafe. Easy to run down in the morning for coffee.

Cons for some would be the noise level during the parades and parties. A couple of times, it was pretty noisy until at least 11 or 11:30 pm. It worked ok for us as we didn't go to bed earlier than that. We did not have any of noise from the pub.

I would definitely stay in that cabin again.

I was looking at 8559 but hadn't thought about the convenience for getting coffee in the morning. Although I can do do 2 flights pretty quickly. Thanks for the info.

Anybody else want to give their opinion. Would love to hear it.

I was looking at 8559 but hadn't thought about the convenience for getting coffee in the morning. Although I can do do 2 flights pretty quickly. Thanks for the info.

If you do a google search "cabin # explorer cruisecritic" and then carefully look through the links you may find various cabins described by people who were in them. That is how I found a lot of my information.

Also you can search member reviews here on cruise critic for explorer and look at them by cabin category (promenade).

I stayed in PR 7611 last summer. It is at the end on the aft side. My view was of customer service and I was above the champagne bar. It was right next to the elevators and stairs so I liked the location. I went down to the parades so not sure if you could see them from the room. I loved the room and never had any noise issue. I had taken ear plugs just in case! lol We are a family of 5 and this summer I will be in 7609 for me since I get seasick and the other half of family will have 7688 the aft balcony. I think you will enjoy the promenade stateroom which ever one you chose! Good luck!

If Bayonne does get a new sunshine ship will you miss the Explorer. We've been on her about 10 times and will miss her.

I think I would rather have some different ports than a new ship

I agree the amusement park of the seas is not for me,send it to Florida.Bumper cars really.Also were is the Royal Promenade on this ship?Just my opinion seems some people like this ship.I will not pay Oasis prices for this ship.:rolleyes: Again my opinion.:)

I stayed in PR 7611 last summer. It is at the end on the aft side. My view was of customer service and I was above the champagne bar. It was right next to the elevators and stairs so I liked the location. I went down to the parades so not sure if you could see them from the room. I loved the room and never had any noise issue.

This set of rooms is probably good for less noise but many people do not prefer them as parade viewing is better as you get to a more central location on the promenade.

This location is also good to be near the aft elevators.