Just off the Pride, questions Welcome!

I guess it would help if I mentioned the things that I think could be changed.

First let me say that I was traveling with 2 girls. Ages 6 and 8. They did participate in Camp Carnival activities the first 3 days but not so much the rest of the cruise.

The first night, Carnival had a Welcome aboard kids party in the Beauties Lounge. The girls Loved it. There was a lit up dance floor and they just got their very first taste of cruising. Although this was a very exciting experience for them, I think it set the rest of the time up for some disappointed. Almost all of the other activities, except for a dodge ball game and another dance, were held right in the Camp Carnival Room. (which to my girls resembled a day-care facility). They were not thrilled about spending their vacation locked up in this room. However, some of the activites seemed interesting to them. I think, IMO, that Carnival should hold more of their kids activities in other places on the ship so that the kids are enjoying the ship as the adults are. I also think my children probably would have participated in much more if this were the case. Threre were several places on the ship that could have been utilized for kids activities. The Raphael room, for example, was hardley EVER being used for any adult activities and some of the bars (Beauties and Ivory Piano Bar) were not always open either. Maybe a kids sing a long in the Ivory Piano Bar might have been fun, or towel folding in the Raphael. I think they would have felt more like they were part of the fun as opposed to being shipped off to daycare.

Otherwise, the cruise was great!! Davids was Delicious. Highly recommended. Premium Balcony Room was spacious and accomodated our needs, The Normandie Dining Room was fantastic, The afternoon Tea time with 2 little girls was something to remember.

How long did it take you to embark and dis-embark?

Quick, quick, quick.

We arrived in Baltimore, a two hour drive from my house, at about 11:30 am. We were on the Lido by 12:15. It was great. Although official "Bon Voyage Baltimore" isnt until 4:00. You actually get almost a full day out of Sunday which was great.

Disembark was a little different. We were traveling with 2 children and had many suitcases so chose to go with zone disembark. We pulled the short straw and were called last. However, for being called last, it actually went pretty smooth. From the time we were called, got in line, disembarked the ship, got through customs, got a porter to get our luggage and get to car, was about 1 hour.

They called all the floors for selp assist first. This started at about 8 am. Then they starting calling zone disembark about 9am. First zones, 1-5, then zones 6-10 and then 11-15. We were 15. But we were in our car by 10:40 and home by 12:45. It all went very smooth both embark and disembark. A pleasure to sail out of Baltimore.

I see you've been on the Fantasy before as well, which is our only Carnival experience. My DH is not a big crowd person, and we really liked the Fantasy as she never felt crowded even when 100% full.

Did you find the Pride to feel "un-crowded"? One downside to the Fantasy is small pool; how about the Pride?

I grew up along the Chesapeake Bay; were the views nice as you sailed out?

Yes. I did do the Fantasy and Loved it. It was actually my favorite of all cruises. (Of course, I was 12 years younger and it was my honeymoon).

Anyway, No the Pride never felt crowded, in fact I thought the exact opposite. For having 2400 passengers on board you would never know it, except for maybe at the center (main) pool. There are 3 pools. One in the adult only area (Serenity), one at midship which is the main pool with the stage and bar. (This sometimes felt a little overcrowded) and then one beside it going toward the aft side. This one was a little less crowded. If you actually go and walk the inside the of the ship there never seemed to be too many people.

Anyway, maybe because it was my first cruise, I liked the layout of the Fantasy a bit better. Most people will say the opposite of this. On the Fantasy, the activitly is on the upper levels of the ship with staterooms on the bottom. On the Pride, it is the opposite, most of the activity is on the Main and Riveria decks with staterooms on the upper levels. It seemed strange to me, but like I said, maybe because my first cruise was different from this.

Overall, the cruise was great. Baltimore was a complete pleasure to sail out of.

Thanks for the great info! DH and I can't wait until October. One other question please:

When you embarked the ship, did you utilize what looked like to be a brand new totally enclosed walkway...kinda like a jetway? I heard that both Royal Caribbean and Carnival might utilize this as opposed to the kinda open canvas type walkway. This is something that is suppose to be new at the port.

Thanks for the great info! DH and I can't wait until October. One other question please:

When you embarked the ship, did you utilize what looked like to be a brand new totally enclosed walkway...kinda like a jetway? I heard that both Royal Caribbean and Carnival might utilize this as opposed to the kinda open canvas type walkway. This is something that is suppose to be new at the port.

Yes. Not only did I see it, but I walked through it. It was nice. We had no rain but if we did we would have remained completely dry.

We are leaving on the Pride this Sunday. I am cruising with my family (15 of us!). Did you happen to notice if any of the "dividers" on the balconys were opened? It is our wish that we can open all of the dividers (we have 5 rooms) so that we can enjoy one big balcony. Thanks much!

We are going on the Pride in April 2013. I know a long time but I like to put all my duck in a row before I go. (We just got off the Triumph so waiting isn’t as bad)

Anyway, I have a few questions.

Did you do anything in Baltimore before you got on the ship? I have heard that they have a pirate cruise that you can do for 3 hrs or so. That is one of the things that I was thinking about doing. But wanted to hear what you had done. Oh and if you did stay in Baltimore, what hotel did you stay at and can you tell us if they had a shuttle services.

I also have a question about your excursions. I know we are going to Port Canaveral and are planning on going to Walt Disney. Just wanted to know if you could give me any tips on saving money etc. Have read other threads but wanted to get your take on it.

We are leaving on the Pride this Sunday. I am cruising with my family (15 of us!). Did you happen to notice if any of the "dividers" on the balconys were opened? It is our wish that we can open all of the dividers (we have 5 rooms) so that we can enjoy one big balcony. Thanks much!

yes you can- when you board you need to make your way to the pursers desk- one person from each room with your request.

Please note that the divider is opened and locked in place to the balcony railing. (it takes away from your view.)

Once locked in place that divder stays that way the entire cruise.

You will not be able to open and close at random.

Only a limited amout of dividers can be opened so you want to do this as soon as you board

Just off the Pride yesterday. Had a wonderful time. Only a few little things that I would change or do differently, however, Had a blast. Any questions are welcome.

How did dinner work?

I think they would have felt more like they were part of the fun as opposed to being shipped off to daycare.

I agree. We were on the Spirit in March with our 4 kids (3 of them old enough for Camp) and I would have liked if they were able to explore the ship more. But, I think it would be difficult for the camp staff to organize and manage that, especially with the younger kids. Several years ago we were on a RCI cruise and I seem to remember seeing kids travel around the ship with the camp counselors so I'm sure it can be done. Hopefully Carnival can work on that :)

As an FYI, I have read that you should go to guest services immediately upon boarding and request the dividers be removed.... Enjoy your cruise! We're going on the Pride in September...

As an FYI, I have read that you should go to guest services immediately upon boarding and request the dividers be removed.... Enjoy your cruise! We're going on the Pride in September...

You mean they can be completely taken out? That would be awesome. I hope I understood this correctly.

You mean they can be completely taken out? That would be awesome. I hope I understood this correctly.

no, they are locked into place on the railing. Some on the aft are removable completely- Not many-- jsut a few

here is a photo of inside the cabin-looking out and seeing a divider-

2499401100073436774XCdktp_th.jpg

I have to agree with you about Camp Carnival. My daughter is 10 and has been cruising since she was 3. In her younger years she loved camp carnival but as she has gotten older she has gone less and less frequently.... until our last cruise in April on the Sensation.

Most of the kids her age (9-11) activities were NOT held in the camp carnival area but in other areas of the ship. She absolutely loved this. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that the camp reminds your daughter of a daycare center. Plus they tend to be out of the way in a tucked away corner of the ship. Plus, my daughter gets seasick, and when the camp is all the way forward it seems to have alot of "rocking" motion.

We go on the Miracle in a few weeks and she's promised me that she would at least "try" camp carnival so we'll see. We've been on the Miracle once before and she rarely went to the camp but I've got my fingers crossed.

Karen

Hello, FIVEONTHEAVENUE. Thanks for the thread/info. I am considering a cruise on the Pride (leaving Baltimore) about a year from now.

From the time we were called, got in line, disembarked the ship, got through customs, got a porter to get our luggage and get to car, was about 1 hour. ... A pleasure to sail out of Baltimore.

It was not clear, from what I just quoted, whether or not you left your own car in a lot or a garage while you were aboard the ship. Can you please clarify this? If you left your car in Baltimore, where did you leave it ... how did you get to the ship ... and how much did the parking cost?

Actually, I do not even know where ships dock in Baltimore. Is it necessary to drive through a tunnel to get there?

Thanks!!!

did you hear how club o2 was? how was the food.......... What is the adverage price of a 5x7 crusie photo do you know?

my email is serene56@aol I have the camp pages.

the formal photos are 8 x 10 and cost 22.00 You can not buy a 5 x 7 of these without buying the 8x10

the 4 x 6 are taken when you get off the ship are (11. i think)

How much are the balconies obstructed on the Main and Upper decks? I wouldn't want to be looking at a lifeboat instead of the beautiful sea. My wife wants to have Carnival choose the cabin to save money. That's OK with me unless the balcony is spoiled by obstruction.

Thanks!

Archived