Seeing the Mississippi

gooch47

We are considering taking the Spirit out of New Orleans in November.

Our last try on the Spirit was the one where we didn't leave NOLA until 1:30 a.m. and of course we were exhausted waiting 12 hours to board and also just the time of day and it was dark anyway, so we didn't get to see any of the Mississippi River sights.

So, if the Spirit leaves on time in November, is there enough daylight left to see the sights or are we out of luck again. And are the sights even worth worrying about?

We are considering taking the Spirit out of New Orleans in November.

Our last try on the Spirit was the one where we didn't leave NOLA until 1:30 a.m. and of course we were exhausted waiting 12 hours to board and also just the time of day and it was dark anyway, so we didn't get to see any of the Mississippi River sights.

So, if the Spirit leaves on time in November, is there enough daylight left to see the sights or are we out of luck again. And are the sights even worth worrying about?

The first half hour of sailaway is fun, purely for the exhilaration of the speed of the ship and the fairly sharp turn the ship has to make considering her size. I asked the Captain how fun that first half hour was and he looked at me with a bit of a twinkle in his eye and said " a LOT of fun".

As for sights, I think it was a bit boring because it was fairly late before we got down to the refineries and drilling rigs.

PE

We've done it a few times now. That time of year it gets dark fairly early. If you are on the port (left) side, NO is kinda cool as you pull out. After that, not so much. Lots of river traffic at times and tons of refineries and loading piers all the way down the river. It's neat when you approach the open Gulf, but that is usually getting pretty late. ;)

We did this in January a few years ago and left about an hour late, and it was getting progressively darker as we sailed down the Mississippi. However, we still got to see a few oil rigs in the dusk, and then it was kind of neat to see them in the dark, lit up like very mini-cities in the water. We sat in the Gallaxy of the Stars lounge right at the windows (thanks to CC advice to grab a spot early). It's probably my favorite sail away memory.

The first half hour of sailaway is fun' date=' purely for the exhilaration of the speed of the ship and the fairly sharp turn the ship has to make considering her size. I asked the Captain how fun that first half hour was and he looked at me with a bit of a twinkle in his eye and said " a LOT of fun".

As for sights, I think it was a bit boring because it was fairly late before we got down to the refineries and drilling rigs.

PE[/color']

Sharp turn? Where? Just going threw it or are you saying there is just one? (Like at the end) Please enlighten. :D

We've done it a few times now. That time of year it gets dark fairly early. If you are on the port (left) side, NO is kinda cool as you pull out. After that, not so much. Lots of river traffic at times and tons of refineries and loading piers all the way down the river. It's neat when you approach the open Gulf, but that is usually getting pretty late. ;)

What exactly is on the port (left) side? I'm just wondering what there is to see? Any good photography opportunities? I can't imagine looking at refineries or manufacturing places being cool. I'm just wondering what everyone talks about.

We did this in January a few years ago and left about an hour late, and it was getting progressively darker as we sailed down the Mississippi. However, we still got to see a few oil rigs in the dusk, and then it was kind of neat to see them in the dark, lit up like very mini-cities in the water. We sat in the Gallaxy of the Stars lounge right at the windows (thanks to CC advice to grab a spot early). It's probably my favorite sail away memory.

Can it not be viewed from a top deck sitting in the lawn chairs? Why is the Galaxy the "place" to be? (just trying to plan my sail away :))

We took a riverboat ride when we were there last time and I have to say that wasn't very scenic OR exciting. Are you saying that is about all you see all the way to the gulf?

Not sure what I was hoping for.

Sharp turn? Where? Just going threw it or are you saying there is just one? (Like at the end) Please enlighten. :D

For the first half hour the ship has to do some serious maneuvering because of her size. At almost 900' long she is one of the largest things on the river. Plus you are going with the current which increases your speed and potential lack of control.

PE

We took a riverboat ride when we were there last time and I have to say that wasn't very scenic OR exciting. Are you saying that is about all you see all the way to the gulf?

Not sure what I was hoping for.

You probably saw all of the highlights on the riverboat tour. ;)

PE

What people find interesting or not is relative I suppose. Given the option of sailing out into just plain ole open sea into nothing, I find the ride down the MS to be interesting.

It’s hardly anything but just oil refineries. Again if you require some high level of stimulation you may not find it very interesting.

If you enjoy seeing other ships, small towns etc along the way you probably will.

It's always cool seeing sights in New Orleans like St Louis Cathedral on the initial sail away.

Days will be short in November so you aren't going to get to see a lot for very long.

I suppose there are some "sharp" turns in the river but I have never experienced any sort of swaying or leaning.

I have done that trip 8 different times now on different ships.

Can it not be viewed from a top deck sitting in the lawn chairs? Why is the Galaxy the "place" to be? (just trying to plan my sail away :))

Sure, it can be. But in January it was a little chilly to stay outside long in New Orleans. Just depends on the weather.

We just sailed the Spirit in April. I didn't find it to be particularly scenic on the Mississippi. I too wondered what all the fuss was about as I had read that it was pretty cool to sail down the Mississippi. I just didn't see anything wonderful to look at. It was too dark to see anything by the time we reached the Gulf.

However on the way back up the Mississippi it was fun to pass by another cruiseship. Not sure where we were at but we passed each other pretty close.

Does she go down the river with tugs or just a river pilot? (Not sure we'll make the trans-atlantic noted in the countdown clock and have some doubt that plan will hold up given the lack of interest so far in the roll call.)

Does she go down the river with tugs or just a river pilot? (Not sure we'll make the trans-atlantic noted in the countdown clock and have some doubt that plan will hold up given the lack of interest so far in the roll call.)

No tug boats my friend.

In November it'll be getting dark early. It's a working river port and you will see things related to that----other ships, docks, piers, some refinery action. Sometime in the night you will pass a Carny ship which departs on Saturdays. We like to moon them.

About 2 hrs from the dock you will pass our friends (Jimmie and Dena) house on the east side of the river. We were talking with them on the cell phone as we approached. They had a bonfire on the riverbank and flickeed the houselights. We thought this was a gas.

Here's a note: while you're on the river, your phone is still using land-based towers and you don't hafta pay the ship's satellite rates.

I live about 45 miles north of New Orleans and have never been on a cruise out of New Orleans. My first cruise out of New Orleans will be March 2012. I am looking forward to the Mississippi River part. I know there isn't much to look at but I think the allure is the "Mighty Missisip" itself. I've been out of Seattle and Los Angeles and almost immediately you are in open water.

I think of the days of yore when paddle boats cruised the river with Southern Gentlemen and Southern Belles roaming the decks with Mint Juleps and lacy parasols in hand and I romanticize the vision!

I will be the Delta Queen at least for a day!

have been down the river 3 times before on NCL. There is not much to see as it will get dark early in Nov. However, you will see the orange glow from the flames at the oil refineries, this to me is pretty. The boat can list sometimes when taking those turns. On one trip, I was woken up between 12 midnight and 1am when the boat listed badly when we reached the gulf. The following morning other people said that items not secured broke in the shops.

on our trip, the spirit left about an hour late...it was still getting supplies. by the time we got under-way, it was getting dark. did see the lights of the small towns, oil refineries, fishing village. but you couldn't see anything but the lights (and not many of them). did feel the "bump", but we didn't get any listing...the bump is when the river current meets the gulf. it wasn't much of a bump, you would feel it if you were awake...but not enough to wake up anyone.

723657952_WatchingtheShips.jpg.b7962961034ba2d7bf8885b8ff7e6ae1.jpg

1557385085_Suppliesloading.jpg.38032ba70912125e9a142499551e72ba.jpg

Close.jpg.d1c8f933479aee1c4e01dc73cf075c6c.jpg

Our first time down the Mississippi I decided to go on Carnival because they leave at 4 and NCL leaves at 5. We went when it was still daylight savings time because we wanted to have daylight as long as possible.

I guess we don't need a lot of entertainment because we loved it. We had a bottle of wine, cheese, crackers and grapes. We even ordered room service to have on our balcony. We had a blast looking for cajuns on the river cooking a big pot of crawfish. We didn't actually see any but we made up stories about what we would see and just enjoyed ourselves.

We were surprised to see some very nice communities. I don't know why but we were expecting to see "boat people" or shacks and hick type settings.

We don't stay out on the balcony all evening any more but still enjoy it.

This is what we saw leaving

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NorwegianSpiritJanuary6132008NewOrleansAndSailAway?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_Kp8mth9ri3AE&feat=directlink

and returning

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NorwegianSpiritCruiseTheMississippiRiver?authkey=Gv1sRgCOGNuf3onJKEnwE&feat=directlink

in January '08. We left about 10 or 15 minutes early.

As you start to head down river, the French Quarter will be on the port side. We were outside on a top deck and had great views for sail away.

The Mississippi has a lot of sharp turns, and the ship needs to be going fast enough for the rudders to work effeciently and maintain control. I was surprised how much the ship heeled around some of the turns. It wasn't like swaying or having waves, just leaning. It probably wasn't that dramatic, but given that it was in the first hours of the cruise, I was probably more aware of it.

We were back in New Orleans a few months ago. Even though we weren't there for a cruise I walked over to have a look at Carnival Triumph and Norwegian Spirit.

https://picasaweb.google.com/scottyo72/NOJan2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6CuJGi8eSX6QE&feat=directlink

What is the time it typically takes from cast off to the open gulf? How many miles is it? Is this the longest fresh-brackish run by an ocean-going cruise ship?

It takes several hours. I don't remember exactly, but I want to say 6 hours or more. I was asleep but woke up the when we hit the first waves.

Looks like it's about 100 river miles. The river charts extend a little further out than you might think.

http://www.mvd.usace.army.mil/Gis/navbook/html/mileage.htm

It takes several hours. I don't remember exactly, but I want to say 6 hours or more. I was asleep but woke up the when we hit the first waves.

Looks like it's about 100 river miles. The river charts extend a little further out than you might think.

http://www.mvd.usace.army.mil/Gis/navbook/html/mileage.htm

It is about 5 hours down river and 9 hours up river.

PE

Archived