Tux or Smart suit ? formal nights

trumpet56

well does any one know the answer ,frist time cruiser

from Scotland and before you say it no I dont wear a Kilt

As we sail on the first of July .........:cool:

Either one are acceptable.

Most men now wear dark dress suits. Yes, you will see a percentage in tuxes. I'd guess 25% at most. And yes we have seen a handful of kilts on almost every cruise we have done on X.:)

We were first time cruisers in February and agree that dark suits were in the majority. I hired a tux on the ship as I did not want to use too much of our baggage allowance as we had to fly to the port!!

I am not Scottish but there was a couple who wore kilts and they did not look out of place.

I would go for whatever you feel comfortable in - either way you will not look out of place

Steve

A friend played in a band and he has some of those fancy "Motown" tuxes that still fits him. The kind that are florescent with sequins, colored shirts with puffy sleeves and full pleated fronts. Matching patten leather shoes. Really classy. Some even have tails. He would like to wear them but said he wouldn't feel right if made others feel out of place. :confused:

Would he be over dressing? ;)

.:eek:

A friend played in a band and he has some of those fancy "Motown" tuxes that still fits him. The kind that are florescent with sequins, colored shirts with puffy sleeves and full pleated fronts. Matching patten leather shoes. Really classy. Some even have tails. He would like to wear them but said he wouldn't feel right if made others feel out of place. :confused:

Would he be over dressing? ;)

.:eek:

Not at all. Go in Constallation, Perry Grant would love you. He dresses kinda flamboyantly.

Either will be fine. My presonal preferance is to wear a Tux as it makes the whole event a little more special - and my wife really likes it.

While others have said they thought there were more suits than tuxes, I've always seemed to think it was the other way around. Perhaps that is just because the tuxes stand out.

You will also find a fair number of gentlemen wearing blazers or conservative sports jackets with a dress shirt and tie and a nice pair or pants.

I used to wear a tuxedo on cruises, but I've finally reached the point in my life where my comfort and what I pack is important. I no longer take a suit...I travel with a navy blazer, a dress shirt and tie...and it has never been a problem for me or, as far as I know, those around me.

I have dined in Murano and the MDR on formal nights on different cruises and didn't feel out of place...folks were not giving me evil stares, the waiters smiled, the food was good and, yes, I was comfortable.

Archived