Bottles of Wine?

SXM54

I'm planning on bringing along two of my favorite bottles of wine during my cruise in July. I was so surprised when I read that I can bring wine on board. My question is should I pack the bottles in my suitcase or just place them in a smaller bag and carry them on board the ship. Looking for recommendations and thanks in advance.

You can carry your wine aboard with you. We don't bring our own wine but if I did, I would not put it in my suitcase and risk breakage and ruining our clothes. :eek:

Wrap the wine in bubble wrap, or similar, and place into your carry-on bag.

Your carry on items will go through the security scan (same as airport carry on luggage scan).

Have a great cruise.

Definitely bring the wine in a carry on. That way, you don't have to worry about breakage and drenched clothes ;) Plus, you can have a toast to your cruise in your room if you want :)

Thanks everyone for the fantastic recommendations. I will carry on my bottles and wine glass and enjoy the first glass of wine as we leave NYC:-)
And don't forget you can bring on additional wine at all ports too. :)

Thanks everyone for the fantastic recommendations. I will carry on my bottles and wine glass and enjoy the first glass of wine as we leave NYC:-)

You may leave your wine glass at home as HAL provides two large wine glasses in each stateroom! :)

You may leave your wine glass at home as HAL provides two large wine glasses in each stateroom! :)
G-N: Did you see my reply to you on the Luggage Tag thread about purchasing the "Historic" holders?

Not sure if it was an oversight or not, but we had to request wine glasses on our Zaandam cruise in April. Perhaps they were too busy, but stewards said to call room service. I ended up going to the Ocean Bar and requesting glasses from them. Still, not a big deal.

So... If I bring some favorite wine onboard, do I keep it in the cabin, and take one (warm) bottle to dinner each night? Or can I take a few bottles to the Dining room the first night, maybe labeled with our name and cabin number, and will the sommelier keep them for us?

Could I have the room steward deliver them to the sommelier?

Just wonder how this might work.

So... If I bring some favorite wine onboard, do I keep it in the cabin, and take one (warm) bottle to dinner each night? Or can I take a few bottles to the Dining room the first night, maybe labeled with our name and cabin number, and will the sommelier keep them for us?

The Dining Room will not normally store your wine for you in advance (other than unfinished bottles which they bring out on the following night).

We bring ours to the Dining Room every night in a subdued decorative bag.

The small refrigerator in the room is ideal for cooling the red wine down to an acceptable temperature. An hour or two in there will bring it down to between 14 and 17 degrees Celsius (approx 57 Farenheit). A bucket of water with ice should bring your white wines down to 10 degrees Celsius quite well in about 20 minutes. Most ships tend to serve their red warms too warm and their white wines way to cold.

p.s. HAL does not have sommeliers. They have a Cellar Master (who may or may not be an accredited sommelier) and they have wine stewards in the Dining Room who, for the most part, have very little or no formal wine training.

Just wonder how this might work.

You can have ice placed in your ice bucket each day to cool your wine down if you so choose (or twice a day), whatever. I have seen a lot of people take their bottle with them. You can also ask to have the bottle sent to the dining room. (I normally just have done one at a time though).

don't forget, wine in your cabin has no corkage fee:D

The Dining Room will not normally store your wine for you in advance (other than unfinished bottles which they bring out on the following night).

We bring ours to the Dining Room every night in a subdued decorative bag.

The small refrigerator in the room is ideal for cooling the red wine down to an acceptable temperature. An hour or two in there will bring it down to between 14 and 17 degrees Celsius (approx 57 Farenheit). A bucket of water with ice should bring your white wines down to 10 degrees Celsius quite well in about 20 minutes. Most ships tend to serve their red warms too warm and their white wines way to cold.

p.s. HAL does not have sommeliers. They have a Cellar Master (who may or may not be an accredited sommelier) and they have wine stewards in the Dining Room who, for the most part, have very little or no formal wine training.

Thanks, I really appreciate the detail. NOW I know what to do (Find the wine list... and decide what I want without looking for too much "suggestion" aboard! We were lucky previously to have a Sommelier that really knew his wine, and talked with us about our preferences. We broke out of US / South America / Australlia... and had some good first lessons in figuring out French... Well we tried anyway. All part of the cruise experience!

Archived