AMAWaterways Prague to Budapest 6/8-6/19 Live

RachelG

Thanks for your posting and response....that's what we'd like to do...I think we could do better for the hotel than $1200 for 3 nights....(subtracting the $9o for transportation to Nuremberg)...By the way....did you book through Amawaterways directly...we asked them about picking our own hotel in Prague...and the agent I was dealing with had to find out...she said she would have to see if there is room on the bus to Nuremberg...we'll know tomorrow.

Let me know how you like the trip. This is basicallly a last minute trip for us...that's not how we usually do things...also...wondering what others thought/think of the ama trip insurance....(where they give you 24 mths if you have to cancel)...and you don't get $$$ back...but the opportunity to take the trip at a later date...I'm looking at other options...since I don't like when anyone has a choke hold on my money...in the event we need to use the insurance....

SK

Hi, sand74, we did stay at the Hilton Old Town, and it was fine. Not great, but certainly clean and comfortable. I would stay there again if in Prague. And the reason we used it, not doing our own thing was to get AMA's precruise package.

I really wanted to see Prague, and I thought it would be too difficult to get to Nuremburg on our own. If I hadn't wanted to see Prague, we would have just flown in to Nuremburg and joined the ship there. THere were several people who did just that. I loved Prague, but if I had been there before, just getting on the ship in Nuremburg would have been a fine alternative.

AMA insurance that we took out gives the option of canceling for any reason and getting cash refund. :rolleyes:

read the fine print,,,naturally LATe,,to find this out,,so will now just purchase it later since trip next June,,,

Rachel,,,a past AMA Prague tour,,,used Intercontinental,not Hilton,,when I called re which one,,said they vary and not sure for next yr...but both centrally located...

Re.hairdryers...someone asked,,I looked and its listed in brochure...

Just got my air..wow,,was that expensive....no discount that I could see using AMA for that,,quoted me more than got on Kayak....but will have to pay taxi,,;)

read the fine print,,,naturally LATe,,to find this out,,so will now just purchase it later since trip next June,,,

Rachel,,,a past AMA Prague tour,,,used Intercontinental,not Hilton,,when I called re which one,,said they vary and not sure for next yr...but both centrally located...

Just got my air..wow,,was that expensive....no discount that I could see using AMA for that,,quoted me more than got on Kayak....but will have to pay taxi,,;)

There is definitely no discount with AMA air. I usually book air on my own early to find a deal. By the time AMA makes their reservations, the prices have gone up.

Wow, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. My husband and I are planning a river cruise for our anniversary next June. We are considering the new AmaCerto for June 10th 2012. Rachel, did you look into any other tour companies when you were booking your cruise? What made you decide on AmaWaterways for your river cruise? Look forward to hearing yours and any other responses to this quesiton.

Maryann

We just returned from this cruise - went reverse and started in Budapest and had post cruise in Prague at Intercontinental Hotel. I cannot say enough good about Ama. The ship, the service, the staff, the food, the wine, the tours and guides, and all the small extras and luxuries were more than we expected. Everything including the weather and the people on the boat (there were only 119) was excellent.

Surprisingly, I could not find much information about AmaWaterways before our cruise. For anyone interested, Rachel's postings and the link to the web page describing someone else's experience give great, accurate picture.

We just returned from this cruise - went reverse and started in Budapest and had post cruise in Prague at Intercontinental Hotel. I cannot say enough good about Ama. The ship, the service, the staff, the food, the wine, the tours and guides, and all the small extras and luxuries were more than we expected. Everything including the weather and the people on the boat (there were only 119) was excellent.

Surprisingly, I could not find much information about AmaWaterways before our cruise. For anyone interested, Rachel's postings and the link to the web page describing someone else's experience give great, accurate picture.

You should have looked at my review, it was basically the same cruise you went on. Ours was also quite wonderful and we are doing another AMA cruise next month. If you want to see lots of photos of what you might have seen, go to my review on my website www.thepreismans.com.

I did look at a couple of other river cruise lines, but went with AMA because of the recommendation of my travel agent (who I unfortunately can't name here). She and I have cruised together, and she knows what I like, what really is important to me, and what is not so important. I did not want one of the balcony boats because the cabins would be just that much more tiny. Good to great food is important and AMA was actually better than expected there.

If I am not mistaken....they 'cancel for any reason' clause only gave you a 24 month rebook credit...not cash back....If I'm wrong, please correct me...

Rachel...we were able (as a previous pposter) to just purchase the trip to Nuremberg for $90 per person....and booked the hotel ourselves, the Marriott, which seems to be across the street from the hotel that AMA offered....and we saved about $450 in so doing....we, of course, did not want to miss Prague as we're expecting that to be the highlight of the trip...

BTW....does the ship offer shampoo, hairdryers?

Thanks...I'll check back.

BTW...Rachel ,your posting was what helped us make the final decision to go...great job!

Susan

I did look at a couple of other river cruise lines, but went with AMA because of the recommendation of my travel agent (who I unfortunately can't name here). She and I have cruised together, and she knows what I like, what really is important to me, and what is not so important. I did not want one of the balcony boats because the cabins would be just that much more tiny. Good to great food is important and AMA was actually better than expected there.

one small regular with small table and 2 chairs,,one french,right by bed,,so looks bigger in picture to me,,than one I took with just french,,or one I took with small balcony,,guess they made boat longer...??will let you know...

The new ships must have longer cabins since they can't make them wider due to the locks.

As far as laundry, it is not terribly expensive. My husband had a couple of pairs of jeans and a couple of shirts done. Don't remember exact cost, but not outrageous. They get it back the same day. They do not do dry cleaning. Just laundry and pressing.

For dinner, men mostly wore slacks and dress shirt or polo shirt. Don't remember seeing jeans or shorts. I wore dresses mostly--short cocktail dress on a couple of nights and a dress like I would wear to a nice restaurant here the others. Lots of black pants with nice blouses or pants suit kind of outfits.

There is great shampoo and other toiletries and they give you as much as you need. There is a hair dryer also.

Yes, Marriott is right across the street from Hilton, so no problem with having to carry luggage a long ways.

I thought the Hilton in Prague was a little inconvenient...consider staying in Mala Strana or at the Diplomat...have spent lots of time at the Diplomat and LOVED it. All modes of transport right outside the door, plus an ATM next door, plus a great local joint for dinner diagonally across the street. Very good breakfast buffet...Plus you can easily take the bus (for 90 cents) directly from the airport to the front door. Very acceptable restaurant and casual cafe. Business Center, gift shop etc etc. Two stops on Metro to Old Town (10 minutes) Diplomat is on Castle Hill side and is very friendly toward Western travelers. No typical Czech charm, but convenience and very helpful desk...ask for Venka....more than make up for lack of charm in hotel. Cannot say enough good things about it, especially for anyone who is the least bit unsure. Also, Intercontinental and several others are located on very busy main street near the hospital....ambulances and heavy traffic = not ideal sleeping conditions.

If you have time, go to Theresenstadt and day trip to Cesky Krumlov....also small Folk Art Museum in Old Town (Stare Mesto) across from Concert hall has some wonderful things ( nearby the Jewish Cemetery) and is uncrowded! especially the gigantic lace work depicting the history of Prague and the costume display.

we'll be in Prague for 3 nights ....is there time to go to cesky krumlov? are there day trips that one could arrange...or should we just stay in Prague...

thanks susan...

Is anyone else planning on being on the Amalyra (prague to budapest) Aug. 7th?

we'll be in Prague for 3 nights ....is there time to go to cesky krumlov? are there day trips that one could arrange...or should we just stay in Prague...

thanks susan...

in Linz,,acc.to brochure,,,is that the one you re taking..or Legendary??check on AMA website,,plan to take it on Day 5...in Prague you can take Terezin tour,,,will be sad I m sure,,but want to experience concentration camp..;)

Is anyone else planning on being on the Amalyra (prague to budapest) Aug. 7th?

We re going next June:)

As far as going to Cesky Krumlov, I looked at that, but there is just so much to see and do in Prague that I decided we would just maximize our time there. If we had a couple more days, that would have been a nice day trip though. We had no trouble filling 3 days in Prague.

Archived