AMAWaterways Prague to Budapest 6/8-6/19 Live

RachelG

Would you mind if I asked how you handled the currency issue? Since the countries on this sail are not all on the Euro you have to have multiple sets of $$$. We usually hit the atm at the airport upon arrival and here, of course, sailing country to country, that will not be an issue. In an effort to avoid the high conversion and processing fees, I really don't want to use plastic for each purchase, plus there will be many instances where small bills would be useful, such as tipping, transport, etc. Thank you for your insight.

Fisherman's Bastion and the view from up there are really great. But if I may add another view on Budapest: If one has already seen some medieval European cities then I consider Pest the more interesting part. It's not just the 19th century atmosphere (though sometimes a bit run down). Just don't go to behind Keleti Station, where my hotel was. ;) Especially i considered the Dohany Street Synagogue some time well spend: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doh%C3%A1ny_Street_Synagogue . The orthodox synagogue in Kazinczy street was a construction site in 2006, so i don't know what they did with my entrance fee. ;)

Tinsel: Usually in Eastern Europe you have a lot of small exchange offices in the city centers. It's worth to take some time to compare prices, but that pays off. Watch out for those who advertise by switching SALE / BUY rates. Some have a fix fee, others got an interest rate, and so on. Just don't run into the first place; think about how much money you want to change and compare prices.

(Edit: Typo)

As far as currency, we travel a lot, so I keep a supply of euros in cash on hand. I buy when the exchange rate is relatively better through my Bank of America account at home.

I also got a small supply of Czech and Hungarian money from B of A prior to the trip. I tried to estimate what I would need as a minimum so as not to get too much. Many places in Hungary took euros too, but not all. So you probably don't need that much Hungarian money. In Prague, you did need the Czech money. There are ATMs all over, but my husband doesn't trust them. (that is just him--I think they are probably perfectly ok to use.)

As far as currency, we travel a lot, so I keep a supply of euros in cash on hand. I buy when the exchange rate is relatively better through my Bank of America account at home.

I also got a small supply of Czech and Hungarian money from B of A prior to the trip. I tried to estimate what I would need as a minimum so as not to get too much. Many places in Hungary took euros too, but not all. So you probably don't need that much Hungarian money. In Prague, you did need the Czech money. There are ATMs all over, but my husband doesn't trust them. (that is just him--I think they are probably perfectly ok to use.)

Thank you for the information. I can't honestly think I will need that much - taxi from pier to hotel, hotel to airport the day after. Tip money for baggage, misc spending money. I'll try our BofA in town. I don't have an account there so we'll see what they charge.

What about tipping boat staff? I know it said they prefer to be tipped in cash but it did not say what currency to use?

Did anyone attend the concert in Vienna? I was wondering about approrpriate dress?

Less than two weeks to go and still putting together the last odds and ends!

Appreciate the help!

Thank you for the information. I can't honestly think I will need that much - taxi from pier to hotel, hotel to airport the day after. Tip money for baggage, misc spending money. I'll try our BofA in town. I don't have an account there so we'll see what they charge.

Be careful:

B of A charges a fee, in addition to the poor exchange rate for foreign currency. When I purchased foreign currency from them I was charged twice for two different currencies, even though the $$$ was mailed in the same envelope :eek:. I purchased Euros and Swiss Francs and was charged $30 handling fee; $15 for each type. That was not explained to me when I made the transaction.

Be careful:

B of A charges a fee, in addition to the poor exchange rate for foreign currency. When I purchased foreign currency from them I was charged twice for two different currencies, even though the $$$ was mailed in the same envelope :eek:. I purchased Euros and Swiss Francs and was charged $30 handling fee; $15 for each type. That was not explained to me when I made the transaction.

Yes, sadly everyone charges a fee! No matter where you buy. If you buy in the airport atm's there a fee for the service, a feel for the exchange rate, usually bank fees and then even card fees. The fees can get astronomical. Trying to compare the fee maze and take a good value with convenience so I don't have to spend precious travel time simply chasing small amounts of money!

My credit union DID NOT charge a fee at the ATMs in Europe that we used...even at the airport. We did not get ANY currency ahead of time, we simply used the ATMs at the airport and hotels, could take out as little or as much as we wanted with NO exchange fee, and better exchange rates than you get if you go to the "exchange money" places or to banks. We have always gotten our local currency at ATMs and have been very happy with the exchange rate and the fact that we don't have to guess how much we'll need, we can always go back!

I'm feel a bit stupid asking this but...I've never used an ATM in another country. I suppose you can use it in English so you know what you're doing?? Do you use the same PIN you would use in the US?? I know they seem like stupid questions but if you've never done it, you just don't know!!

You generally need a 4 digit PIN in Europe. If you already have one with your card, you will use the same in Europe. If you have a longer pin, contact your bank to request a change for the trip. In any event, you should contact your bank before your travels to let them know the dates you will be in Europe so they don't suspend your card for "suspicious activity". Also, you can enquire about fees charged by your bank for using the card in a foreign country (We get 5 uses free each year at ours).

I also used to exchange a lot of money at the bank before my trip. The fees are huge and the conversion rate is awful. I have a credit union card that charges no ATM fees and uses the standard conversion based on the rate on the day of the transaction. I decided to give it a try last year when we cruised in Italy, Croatia, Sicily, Greece and Slovenia.

I had no problem whatsoever withdrawing cash from ATMs at any of those stops. Only one stop (Capri) had an ATM with no English option, but I was able to figure it out.

My credit union asked for my itinerary and travel dates to avoid card suspension. They also had a $500/day limit that I asked them to increase a bit due to the conversion rate.

In all, it was so easy, cheap and convenient that I wondered what took me so long! ;)

In addition to your bank you should notify all of the credit card companies (ones you will be carrying) of each country you will be visiting.

As before stated, most foreign ATMs require a four digit number. Also, that four digit number cannot start with a zero.

TD Bank does not charge ATM fees for foreign withdrawals. We maintain a minimal checking account there just for use at overseas ATMs.

For purchases, we have a Capital One credit card that does not charge fees for overseas transactions.

My PIN is 4 digits and does start with a zero. I didn't have any problems with it all over Europe...

As a funny aside, when I was using an ATM my husband was standing next to me. I pushed the Great Britain flag to indicate I wanted the transaction in English and he started yelling....what are you doing? You need to be pushing the American flag!!! There was no American flag....he was confused for sure!!

My PIN is 4 digits and does start with a zero. I didn't have any problems with it all over Europe...

That's good to know. We were told that by our bank many years ago, so maybe that advice has changed. At that time we changed ours to eliminate the zero, and I'm so used to the one we use now that I don't think I will be changing back. :D

If you do not have an account with Bank of America, they would definitely charge you a fee to order foreign currency, if they would do it at all.

If you have an executive account (not sure if that is the right term exactly, but it is called that or similar), they only charge a $7.50 fee no matter how much you order or how many different currencies you get. I pick up the money at the branch that is 2 blocks from my house. That way I can make sure they got the amounts right and didn't charge an additional fee. I think if you have it mailed to you, the charge is more/different.

As far as how much you need, I prereserved our car and driver from the Prague airport to the hotel so I would know exactly how much it would be ahead of time--used Prague Airport Transfer which I found through this site.

In Budapest, the Hilton arranged a cab for us and we charged it to the room as it is a set rate.

You will need a little local currency for misc stuff, but not that much.

They did not specify what currency to use for the tips on board. You are given 2 envelopes, one for the crew and the other for the cruise director. I know some people used euros, but a lot used US dollars. I don't think they really care. I used US dollars as well as the rest of my Czech money that was left over. The cruise director goes to the Czech republic every 2 weeks, so I think Czech money is fine with her.

As far as dress for the concert, we didn't attend since we were meeting friends in town. But I saw everyone waiting to leave for the concert. Most men had suits or sportcoats with ties, but a few had open collared shirts. Most ladies had short cocktail dresses or pants with fancy tops. Our friends who went told me that the venue is NOT air-conditioned, so I bet most of the men were wishing they had not worn a suit and tie. It was pretty warm that evening.

I hear that the ATM's still work with USA type credit/debit cards, but lots of other venues require the European "chip & Pin" cards. They are about 5 or 6 years ahead of USA. Wells Fargo and Morgan Chase are going to start with C&P for regular Europe travelers this. summer. Has anyone run into trouble with the USA mangnetic strip cards?

You are correct about the chip and pin thing with credit cards in Europe. It was not a problem on this trip, but 2 years ago, I was unable to use my Mastercard in Copenhagen due to this--the magnetic strip would not work. Fortunately, they were able to process it at the hotel we were at (Hilton), or I would have been up a creek without a paddle. And I had enough cash for our other expenses.

I had a problem with using the machine in Barcelona trying to get tickets for Montserrat. Had to use cash; I had no PIN number associated with my credit card. I had no problems using the card in shops or restaurants.

We always travel with 2 ATM cards. One is from BOA and the other is Wells Fargo. They have different banking alliances. I use the card based on the alliance the foreign bank uses with either BOA or Well Fargo. This way I know in advance which ATM card I'll be using and the other stays in the safe. We also travel with an AMEX card and a Visa card but we leave those in the cabin safe. The credit cards are for emergenices, onboard ship expenses, hotels and rental cars. We save lots of money by just using ATMs and then doing all our transactions in cash. The pick pockets were out in force for our cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam. I think someone lost a wallet, purse or money at every stop.

I don't know what I did before ATMs and smart phones!!!!

We here in Canada are big debit card users. They are just being converted to chip and pin now, kind of late. Guess that's because it's kind of redundant since you have to key in a PIN every time you use them anyways. My debit card doesn't have a chip yet. I have a 5-digit PIN which I always change when I go abroad, and then change it back when I come home. Yes, occasionally you find one that doesn't grok English, I usually move on and find another one.

Our credit cards here are now almost all chip and pin. Amex has been the last to change; I now have my new pin but haven't yet received my new card.

We used our Debit card (no chip) in Norway without any problems

In the past I have used it in many countries ..sometimes the ATM will not work just try a different bank machine

I took enough Euro to use in our other ports

We have little booths at the malls here where I can get different currencies the rates seem to be not too bad

http://www.continentalcurrency.ca/index.html

Not sure if you have something similar in the USA

I have a separate bank account just for travel that way if I loose my card or it gets hacked they do not get very much ;)

Archived