AMAWaterways Prague to Budapest 6/8-6/19 Live

RachelG

Just at the beginning of planning a river cruise...thanks to alll who have posted great info....my question is....are shore excursions included in the price... as they aren't on cruises....thanks so much for any info.

Most of the tours are included in the price. There are some optional tours that have an additional charge. For example, there is an optional concert/dinner in Vienna and a tour of the Terezin concentration camp in Prague. Some of the optional tours are during the day, like Salzburg, so you'd have to choose between the included tours in Linz/Passau or the full optional day at Salzburg. Most of them are at night or during the "free time" so there's no conflict.

A full list of the optional tours and prices for European itinearies can be found here:

http://www.amawaterways.com/reservations.asp?page=tvlres_info&dest=europe&wid=73#73

Just at the beginning of planning a river cruise...thanks to alll who have posted great info....my question is....are shore excursions included in the price... as they aren't on cruises....thanks so much for any info.

We are doing a Scenic cruise & all tours are included even the optional ones

Gratuities & wine/beer with lunch & dinner also included

Lyn

We had a busy day today. Breakfast (included) had hot and cold buffets with eggs, breakfast meats, cooked tomatoes and mushrooms, all kinds of breads and pastries, lots of fruit. I am not a big breakfast person so just had cottage cheese ( which tastes so much better in Europe, probably because it is nit the fat free stuff I normally get) and fruit.

The instructions said to meet prompty at 9 for the city tour. We got downstairs at 8:50 and they were already boarding the buses. So prompt means early, which is fine with me. There were 4 groups, 3 regular and one gentle. We all went by bus up to the castle and toured there. The only interior tour was at st. vitus church ( really nice stained glass). Lots more to see in the castle area. Then the regular groups walked down through town across the charles bridge to the main square to see the famous clock which is currently malfunctioning, a disappointment but we were forewarned. The gentle group took the bus from the castle to the area near the square.

All the touring and walking took about 4 hrs. Everyone in our group seemed fit enough and able to keep up, and the guide stops and talks pretty often.

By this time, we were hungry. There are little caves everywhere. The one we chose was off on a side street and really more of a bakery and take away place with just a few tables and a wonderful very clean bathroom. We had sandwiches and salads. My husband's salad had a huge hunk of goat cheese that would have cost at least $8 in Tulsa. The owner was really sweet and gave us extra samples of her bread. She really liked my husband's cowboy hat.

Then we did the Jewish tour buying the combo ticket that gets you into 3 synagogues and the cemetery. There is an extra charge if you want to go to the New Old synagogue, but frankly unless you were just doing an all day Jewish tour, the cheaper ticket is more than enough. The highlight really is the cemetery with the old half fallen down stones.

Then walked back to the hotel. We are going to the Czech dinner tonight, more for the music and dancing than anything else.

I had to look to make sure, but yes, the boat will be the amadolce.

Rachel.

We are doing this trip in late August. Do you think we need a tour guide for Prague for the Jewish tour, or can we do it on our own?

Also, do you remember the name of the cafe that you had lunch at?

Thanks for all the great detailed info!

Irina, you can easily do the Jewish tour on your own. If you go to any of the synagogues, you buy your tickets there for all of them, and they give you a map. The tour is self-guided, so you can visit one or all of them. I definitely recommend to not miss the Jewish cemetary though. It is really unique.

I do not remember the name of the cafe we ate at and unfortunately didn't write it down. But there are little cafes all over, and they should have their menu posted outside so you can get an idea of prices.

Hi RachelG,

I am so happy I stumbled upon this thread. My DH and I are seriously considering an itinerary similar to what RachelG has so nicely documented.

This type of cruise would really be a departure from what we have done. We returned three weeks ago from the Baltics and it was wonderful but hectic. My husband is looking for a more relaxed, yet active experience. You've really encouraged us to continue our investigation.

Thanks

Julie

Hi, Julie,

We have done a Baltic cruise and a Norway cruise. Both with Regent. The Baltic cruise was pretty port intensive and hectic, but I loved it.

River cruising is port intensive, but it seemed less hectic. You are at a different place every day, sometimes 2 in a day, but you are right in town for most places. And it is very easy to get on and off the boat. I really enjoyed it. My husband would always greet the captain with "Permission to come aboard sir." On an ocean cruise, you might see the captain just a few times on the whole trip. On a river cruise, you see him multiple times a day.

We cruise a lot with Regent, so I have gotten to know most of their CD's, but with a river cruise, you know the CD very well. And she helps personally carry your luggage off the boat at the end of the cruise. And sends you a personal letter the next week. Very impressive.

Rachel.

We are doing this trip in late August. Do you think we need a tour guide for Prague for the Jewish tour, or can we do it on our own?

Also, do you remember the name of the cafe that you had lunch at?

Thanks for all the great detailed info!

Rachel, thoroughly enjoyed your posts on this river cruise. We will be departing for Prague in just over 5 weeks to start our European tour and cruise. Really looking forward to it, really helpful when you read posts from other cruisers. Thanks. Our river cruise actually starts on 16 August, we have a couple of days in Prague beforehand so all your Prague info has been wonderful.

Hi aussietraveller58 we leave tommorrow! I will try and comment n a new thread as we go about wheelchair / walker friendliness. But you can also check out my blog that I will update as we go (http://the-grand-trip.blogspot.com/). Feel free to ask any questions as you think of them :)

RachaelG thanks for your very informative posts!

Maria;

I'm so sorry to know granddad had pass away in his sleep on the cruise

My thought and prayer to you and his family and friends.

Maria;

Thanks for letting us know about this. I had not been following the blog; but have now gone back and read about the wonderful time they were having. Although it is very sad to read about a vacation having a death occur; it sounds from the blog that they were having a wonderful time.

Maria,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am sure you will cherish the time that you were able to spend with your grandparents.

Maria,

I was following your blog. I am so sorry about your grandad. My condolences to your family, especially you and your grandma. It sounded like he was having a great time during the trip, so I'm glad about that.

Maria;

I too enjoyed your blog Maria, what a blessed life your "grandrentals" had. It sounds like your last evening together was really special in more ways than one. Condolences to you and your family.

So very sorry to hear about your grandpa's passing. THough, when my time comes, I hope I am surrounded by family on a great cruise. That would be just perfect. I know you loved him very much.

My wife and I are planning a Nov Viking or AMA river cruise Budapest to Prague, with pre and post stays. Question: Where did you get info on the Jewish tour you took in the afternoon after the included morning tour? We are trying to take the included Viking tours and then, time allowing in port, take a Jewish tour in Prague and other towns as available.

thanks.

Buckster

We hired a private tour guide in Prague, we found her in Rick Steves guide book and she was fantastic. She actually has a special interest in Jewish history, but she was a marvelous guide for us for the city. She does groups from 2 to 8 people for the same price per hour. I don't think I am allowed to give you her name or contact information unless you ask.

We also noticed lines of people in the Jewish Quarter in Prague, waiting to get into various places.

I just followed the instructions in the RIck Steves guidebook (there are also some in Fodor's that are about the same). You do not need a guide, and there were no lines to wait in anywhere except at the first synagogue where you get your ticket for all of them. We got our tickets at the Spanish synagogue, but it doesn't really matter what order you see them in. Just don't miss the old cemetery.

We hired a private tour guide in Prague, we found her in Rick Steves guide book and she was fantastic. She actually has a special interest in Jewish history, but she was a marvelous guide for us for the city. She does groups from 2 to 8 people for the same price per hour. I don't think I am allowed to give you her name or contact information unless you ask.

We also noticed lines of people in the Jewish Quarter in Prague, waiting to get into various places.

Okay, I'm asking. What is the name of the guide you used for the Jewish tour?

Thanks!

What is the name of the guide you used for the Jewish tour?

Thanks!

Jana Hronkova. Her email is janahronkova@hotmail.com

We used her for a city tour, but she is flexible and she will do and take you anywhere that you want. As I said, she has a special interest in Jewish history. She's a young woman who has several degrees, is married with 3 children, and it was a fantastic day that we spent with her. If you email her, tell her that Dobie referred you, I want her to know how highly we thought of her. I've referred a few other folks who were very pleased. I did a review on the review boards here of the Avalon Tranquility, the same route you are going. I talked about all of the ports we saw, it was actually more of a travelogue (ie:long!!!).

Read rachels posts....great info...we are strongly considering the aug 4 sailing.....is anyone else booked already?......also...we were wondering is anyone stayed at the Prague...old town Hilton....we checked on trip advisor since that is the hotel that is offered and recent postings were not all that favorable...did anyone stay there recently?....or did anyone make their own pre cruise arrangements in Prague and join the group for the bus trip to Nuremberg?

Susan

sand74, we are leaving shortly for our 7/24 Amalyra Prague to Budapest trip..we are doing prague on our own and staying at the Marriott in Old Town. We are joining the group for the bus transfer to Nuremberg which was $90 per person.

Archived