Egypt & Agean Pics and info - Star Princess May 18

Embracedbylife

room.jpg.25ee21ee4eb2d6d9d90fa85ddd37620a.jpg

rooftop.jpg.e30ff9ffcafd347677438df68a836e4c.jpg

rooftop2.jpg.e86b4346da18a10667f32a7da25951da.jpg

1555315446_rome1.jpg.02a78d6726088aba34545bfc9e90caeb.jpg

1637529913_rome3.jpg.1be68671dd2824054f9242a9c8353036.jpg

1019686528_rome2.jpg.9c9ee29e3022669cf8ea39764b73d123.jpgAfter reading Zuke's postings, I was inspired to share a few of my pics and info...so here it goes!:

After over a year of planning our cruise we were finally packed and ready to go! I should mention that after many years of traveling and backpacking hubby and I travel with very little luggage. We both manage with a carryon bag and backpack/purse each (backpack / large purse serve as our "personal item"). So we find it pretty easy to navigate around on our own without much help. We are also in our mid 30's from NYC and not very fussy people. I must say I am pretty proud of my packing and I actually felt like I overpacked if you can imagine that! :) In particular I had 4 pairs of jeans which was too much. I only needed 3 at the most. It was very warm. I also packed 2 heavy sweaters and a jacket, and I only needed one sweater. I brought 1 lighter weight cardigan sweater and wished I had of brought another. I brought about 6 t-shirts and wore them all. I brought 6 long sleeved shirts and wore only about 3 of them. I brought 5 pairs of lightweight pants and wore only 3 of them. But it's better to be prepared for all types of weather! Sneakers are a MUST as are flat sandals and a nice pair of heels for wearing at night on the ship.

Day 1:

We flew out of JFK on Saturday May 14 direct to Rome via Delta airlines. Uneventful but very full flight. We were so happy that we checked in online the night before so we had confirmed seats. there were many passengers without seat assignments and were not guaranteed a seat. Also happy to be sitting together! :) Great flight but very tired. couldn't sleep at all!

Arriving at FCO airport I pulled out my travel notes. All my prior research made it a seemless process and we were very well prepared to transfer to our hotel on our own via the train. We had a very fast exit through customs and made our way to the exit. We followed the signs to the Trenitalia train and were suprised how small of an area it was with only about 4 platforms. We used the kiosk machine to buy two one way tickets to Roma Ostiense Station. We remembered to Validate our tickets using the yellow punch machine on the platform, then the train came within 2 minutes and we jumped on it with our luggage. We only travel with small carryon's each so it's no biggie for us.

At Roma Ostiense Station we followed the signs through the tunnel to the Piramide Station that is an adjoined Metro station for the Rome Metro trains. We purchased 2 one way Metro tickets via the ticket machines and there was no need to validate them - you just put them through the entrance machines and go in! We took Line B in the direction of Rebibbia. We only had to go 3 stops and got off at Cavour Station. Our hotel was 2 blocks away - easy and simple - what a relief :) Planning payed off bigtime!

We arrived at Hotel Colosseum by 12pm. We were told that the rooms are ready at 2pm. Being exhausted from being up all night we just sat in the lobby area and waited. By 1:20pm our room was ready! My research on tripadvisor paid off. Lovely hotel and great room! We settled in, showered and went to bed for a couple hours. We awoke refreshed at 4pm and were ready to explore Rome! We had been to Rome many years ago after we were first married, so it was fun to try to find our old stomping grounds!

here are some pics of our hotel and our first day of exploring Rome:

Day 2: Monday May 16

We spent our second day in Rome walking and exploring some more of the city. We didn't realize how much we walked that day until we arrived back at the hotel exhaused and sore, but it was a really amazing day. We ended our day with a nice meal at a restaurant called Royal Art Cafe across from the Colosseum that we had eated at years ago. It was still just as wonderful as it had been before. Hubby had the pasta with meat sauce (wasn't on the menu but he asked and they provided it!) I had pasta with bacon and egg - delicious!! :) As it became dark the Colosseum lit up and it was a very romantic evening. LOVE this place still and our best meal the entire time in Rome both visits!

993260125_Rome5.jpg.2bbe9a09cae47d9763f9f70585725d67.jpg

1174337285_Rome6.jpg.e15866058779408209736fa144e01372.jpg

789647874_Rome7.jpg.752dd2473c01f205bd86fd27983df977.jpg

1577752169_Rome8.jpg.5eb7ebdba670a2d132ce1ef48dceb7cc.jpg

Day 3 Tuesday May 17:

We were really excited this day because we had called to pre-book a special underground guided tour of the Colosseum! Having been to the Colosseum many years ago, it was such a treat to see something different/new. We had pre-arranged the tour for 21 Euro each by calling Pierreci at: 39 06 399 67700. If you wait for the Italian speaking to finish they also replay the instructions in English so you can get an english speaking operator. We had a confirmation number, went to the express pre-paid line and picked up our tickets that morning a half hour before the tour started. The tickets also include entrance to the colosseum so we went in and tooks some pictures while we waited for the tour time. The tour was amazing. Not only did we get underground but were were also taken up to the third tier - totally incredible!! :) We ended our day in Rome walking around and seeing the sights again at night. The Fountains and Spanish Steps are so beautiful at night!!

We also stopped at the main train station that afternoon and purchased our tickets for the next day's train ride to Civitavecchia. We used the kiosk at the station to purchase 2 one way tickets for the ES City Express train to Civitavecchia at 12:10pm. We also checked out the area where the trains depart from so we would know how to quickly get there from the train stop the next day. The last thing we wanted was to be wandering around the station the next day with luggage and not knowing where to go. The "dry run" was well worth it and was on our way anyway to the Spanish steps.

By this evening we were getting tired of pizza and pasta so we found a really cute turkish place near the hotel that we had gyro platters - yum!! gearing us up for Turkey and Greece. Getting really excited to get onto the Star the next day!! Early night, we sail tomorrow!!

1962979943_Col2.jpg.3d6f323778bd1d4e6334a5eca7f3d831.jpg

1222584122_Col3.jpg.3730af092285fa72ebe8b3ff736c9734.jpg

1255875280_Col5.jpg.3c5e1afa2d2e022ebc1d26a1ff39ffab.jpg

1002222366_Col9.jpg.b79461bbdd26aa7a5a6e4e08d80c2734.jpg

1187719302_Colviewfromtop.jpg.97e89184f8afd522d578b3350390d597.jpg

Day 3 Tuesday May 17:

By this evening we were getting tired of pizza and pasta so we found a really cute turkish place near the hotel that we had gyro platters - yum!! gearing us up for Turkey and Greece. Getting really excited to get onto the Star the next day!! Early night, we sail tomorrow!!

Wow, I'm excited too for I felt like I was touring Rome with

you. I like your writing style which was enhanced with your

photos. I'll look forward to reading the rest of your cruise

review.

May you have fair skies and calm seas for your cruise. :rolleyes:

Day 4 - Wednesday, May 18:

We woke this beautiful morning with pains in our legs so bad we didn't know how we'd just started our vacation! But boy did we see Rome! We walked the entire city at least twice in the past few days. We saw everything and felt satisfied with moving onto our new adventure! Breakfast at the hotel was basic, but we knew we'd be indulging in cheeseburgers and pizza in less than 3 hours, so who cares about breakfast!! :) On our way to the train station (only a block from our hotel) we quickly changed our minds and made a last minute stop at the cafe to grab some tasty sandwiches we admired the night before and a couple large bottles of water for the train ride in case we got hungry. You just never know! LOL

Since we checked out by 11am and took the train one stop from Cavour Station to the main terminal we were there with plenty of time for our train at 12:10pm. We walked through the underpass to the main train area as we had done the day before. Pretty simple since we already knew where we were going. Heck I had a little jaunt to my step as I felt proud of being there on time and knowing the drill. Tickets in had we realized it was only 11:20, so we copped a squat outside the station on our carryons and ate the sandwiches - why not enjoy them now! :)

By 11:40 I was getting anxious and convienced hubby to come to the platforms with me to wait for the train. Glad we did because our train was on the right track, but it was half way down that track due to construction. We walked all the way to the right and down and found a train sitting there. Was this our train? having made a serious mistake in Switzerland boarding a train that we thought was ours 20 mins early and taking off to some place we didn't know where we were going 5 years ago, I figured we'd wait on the platform. Two different ladies told us it was our train and were so friendly I wondered if they were looking for money. LOL Then I realized they were just locals being friendly! :) At 11:55 we decided they were right, it was our train and we boarded and got settled into our seats. After a little people watching our of the window the train blew the horn and took off....wow...we were on our way to the Star...awesome!! :)

Exactly 40 mins and we arrived at Civitavecchia station. We came out the front, turned right and started walking along the boardwalk with the water to our left. Just as I had read by so many posters on cc - easy! Nothing to it. In fact I spotted some cute sandals on the way and convinced hubby to buy them for the ship - done, ready to keep walking. Before we knew it we were there. Maybe 8 minute walk in all. Pretty simple if you ask me! The shuttle bus arrived at the gate within minutes. We were at the ship in another few minutes. Wow, we were here! We walked right in with our carryons, went through security, pretty fast only 10 people ahead of us and then filled out our questionnairs and were in line with only a couple people ahead of us. Wow, that's it, we have our room keys? Done - took our passports, gave us receipts for them and presto, take you picture and welcome aboard!

UP the elevator, Baja 242 - wow, we are home! That was so fast and easy I could do it again!! :) Maybe it's because we only have a carryon and a backpack/purse each....well whatever it is, we did it and it worked wonders!! :) time for burgers and pizza!!!

519717608_onboard1.jpg.6d5c4a4b6a0866390e2bb4547f63cc9e.jpg

1907867540_onboard1(2).jpg.a705022542c156ea150bef3baeebb747.jpg

1347728662_onboard1(3).jpg.4f0544ff4392a5f7424f63e2cfd4830f.jpg

Just a question about passports. You said the ship took your passport and gave you a receipt. Why do they collect them? Do you get it back for each shore excursion? We are on the Ruby in 2012 and are curious.

Thanks

Warren

Thursday, May 19 - At Sea:

We were up early and enjoyed the buffet breakfast, surpised at how empty the ship was. As we walked back to our room we noticed all the rooms on Baja deck were full but perhaps other rooms were empty? Afterall it was a cruise to Egypt, so maybe people cancelled? Whatever the case it works for us! I emailed Ramses tours to confirm our private tour for May 21.

I walked by the area where they were selling floral arrangments and noticed that the one I pre-ordered to have in my room was quite smaller than those they are selling today - hummm....a little bummed but I just blew it off. next cruise I'll wait and buy it the day we arrive onboard rather than pre-order! Ate at the buffet and noticed not everyone is sanitizing their hands - I wonder also why the aren't telling people to sanitize?? Something to keep my eyes open for....

Thursday, May 19 - At Sea:

We were thrilled to spend another day at sea after all the walking we did in Rome. We were happy to hear that we'd be passing by a scenic area near the "toe" of Italy at 10am. Cameras in hand we went to the forward deck and enjoyed view! The rest of the day we relaxed and walked around the ship.

That night we enjoyed dinner at Sabitini's as it was my birthday. Nice meal! The food was very nice and we enjoyed a really nice bottle of wine with dinner. What's up tomorrow? Alexandria Egypt!!

In preparation we passed the by buffet and got a large bowl of nuts and dried fruit as well as some packaged crackers and bread. We put the nuts and fruit in a ziplock bag that we brought with us and added these items to our already purchased bag of potatoe chips and large bottles of water. All set for Egypt! I added a few more items to my purse including hand sanitizer, baby whipes and tissues (for toilet paper) as well as about $20 in singles and our cash for the tour. Also I transcribed the US embasy info onto a piece of paper as well as the ship port agent's number and grabbed a photo copy of our passports that I had in my purse. We are ready for Egypt!!!

Quick question, when using the trainand metro ticket kiosks in Rome did you use cash or a credit card? Have heard that cards without the chip and pin feature (which all of Europe has but US does not) won't work in many automated machines, gas pumps, etc. thx

Quick question, when using the trainand metro ticket kiosks in Rome did you use cash or a credit card? Have heard that cards without the chip and pin feature (which all of Europe has but US does not) won't work in many automated machines, gas pumps, etc. thx

When we arrived in Rome we had a few euros with us from a prior trip, but we actually used our credit card for the first train ticket that took us from the airport to Roma Ostiense station and then used cash for the one way fare on the Metro that took us 3 stops to our hotel. I seem to recall the one way fare on the metro is only about 1 euro each. The machines take various denominations of euros including bills, so my suggestion is try to use your credit card if you want or stop at an ATM at the airport on your way to the train platform and get some cash. We used our credit card for the train ticket to take us to the pier as it was close to 15 Euro each.

The good news is you can use your credit cards!! I remember having numerous issues in other countries that require the "chip" or a PIN, but here you can use your card without it! YIPPEE!!!

Note: my prior post meant to say Thurs, May 19 & then Fri, may 20. So now we are onto Saturday, May 21: Egypt!!!

As for passports - we handed them in on the day we embarked and received them on May 20, the day before docking in Alexandria. I forgot to mention that. I also had copies of my passports in my pocket seperate form the actual ones in case they got swiped along with the emergency numbers I needed. Just an extra precatution. So passports in hand that day as we went to Egypt!! They took them from us on Day 1 of sailing because they actually had an official from Egypt on the ship that reviewed them and stamped them and then returned them to make it a faster process at port. Nothing like the confusion in Russia...this was much better planned!

We thought we'd be tired this day but I felt like a little kid that was waiting for Santa to come and couldn't sleep. I woke at close to 5:00 am when it was light out and had room service ordered for 6:00AM. I had realized the night before that we didn't dock until 7:00am and we were supposed to meet our guide at 7am, so I had emailed Ramses the night before to ask them to wait for us as there may be a line getting off the ship.

Ate breakfast on our balcony in anticipation of getting off the ship. Ordered extra breakfast and I ate a lot as I knew I'd have little to eat that day, but not too much to make me feel sick of course!! :) By 6:40am we were ready to disembark as soon as the ship allowed. It was quiet on the ship and no announcements were made yet to say "goodmorning" as they always do when we arrive at port, but I also knew that most of the ship's tours were not meeting in their designated areas until closer to 8am so we just started downstairs in hopes of getting off fast!

We made our way to deck 4 outside the medical center and there were about 6 people ahead of us. We were off the ship right before 7am and were one of the first off I think! As soon as we walked off they scanned our bags in the Alexandria port building and didn't even look at our passports which I thought was funny. So I put them away in a safe place and started to look for our guide. I saw many people holding signs as soon as we exited but none with my name on them. So I asked someone holding a Ramses sign for someone else if they knew if there was a driver for me. Quickly the tour organizer who I had been emailing came over and looked at his list and greeted me and took me to my driver. Very professional and very speedy! we met our driver and Guide - Osama Nasef. He is about our age (30's I'm guessing) and was very friendly. With a quick hello we began driving!

At first I thought we'd be meeting the convoy maybe after we left the downtown area? But then as we started out on the highway I realized there is no convoy. But I saw other tour groups in similar vans and small buses with other tourists and they all waved and honked at eachother. My first impression was that the city is dirty and sad...kinda like I felt in Russia, but only more so. I was pretty much looking around everywhere and felt in another world (literaly) and then I just sat back and listened to my driver who was well educated, well spoken and very friendly. he talked a lot and gave great info. We stopped for a restroom break and he got coffee. Of course we didn't. I wasn't putting anything near my mouth that I hadn't brought with me. Something I was firm on from booking this cruise! :) So, we were polite and thanked him for the offer of coffee and continued on. The ride went so fast. We shot pictures out the windows and there is a lot to see on the way...not just desert. Little houses, lots of other people, traffic etc. Before we knew it we were in Cairo!!

First stop the Step Pyramids. Pretty cool!! The weather was nice. Hubby wore jeans, our guide wore jeans, and I worse white pants and a tshirt that covered my sholders. There was a bit of a breeze and the clouds were nice to protect us also. I wore a sun hat - best idea to have one. I bought mine on the ship!! Our guide told us if anyone comes up to us to say "Shukrum" (spelling?) and they'd leave us alone. Magic words that worked!! Noone bothered us and we felt like we had a private guard with us as our guide stayed with us and took great care of us. He waved to the locals and said hi and we were on our way to the next place. Seamless!!

Second Stop Memphis - a little museum area. Neat place.

Third Stop - the Pyramids and the Sphinx. Amazing. Breathtaking and just incredible. Osama gave us plenty of time to stop and admire and take pictures. We walked up one pyramid. he took tons of photos of us together. We have a very very nice camera and had no hesitation to give it to Osama to take our photos. very nice and trusting guide. We drove up the hill to more pyramids and to see them all from a distance as well. We were taken straight to a camel named Ali and had the most amazing experience ever! I could get into a lot of detail about the camel ride for anyone who is interested! :) It's a must do in my opinion if you aren't afraid of hights and are steady! :)

Then we drove to the Sphinx and walked right in! Saw lots of neat things and took tons of pictures. We were amazed at how quiet all these areas were. tourism is slow and we were fortunate to have it all to ourselves! but for the people of Egypt we hope tourism picks up again!

By this time everyone was hungry. They offered to take us to eat and we told them we had brought food. They also grabbed some food by the Sphinx and we all just ate on our way out of Cairo. Osama offered to take us to some shops and we declined and said we'd be ok with just heading back to the ship. he was ok with this and was happy to get back to Alexandria at a decent time also!

We stopped again at a nice rest stop on the way back (also there were numerous restrooms in between) and the driver and Osama got something to drink and eat. We stuck with our food in our bag and bottled water we brought with us. We were happy and excited about everythign we saw!! We were back on the ship by 6:30pm and were soooo happy and relieved and thrilled, and everything. It was amazing!! :) But I was happy to be back in the comfort of a clean ship, a nice shower, and a nice meal! What an amazing time!!!

Sunday May 22 - Alexandria

we stayed on the ship this day and relaxed! we also bought some souviners at the port that were great!! We went swimmning and played ping pong and just enjoyed a relaxing day :) What a fun time!!! And this was just day 5...yippeee!!!!

DSC_2092.jpg.c980f0364ae2af747df4eaaf167625df.jpg

DSC_2093.jpg.76b8c7ac574b890857df567c22590a9a.jpg

DSC_2208-1.jpg.f099cff6e8eb3064cf7c6ac102150a30.jpg

DSC_2220.jpg.a9accdc529997b1ca65a10a129d3bf92.jpg

Just a question about passports. You said the ship took your passport and gave you a receipt. Why do they collect them? Do you get it back for each shore excursion? We are on the Ruby in 2012 and are curious.

Thanks

Warren

As for passports - we handed them in on the day we embarked and received them on May 20, the day before docking in Alexandria. They also collected them again before going to Greece & Turkey and returned them the day before we disembarked. We didn't need to carry them with us in any other ports except Egypt.

Did you think that the tour was interesting? Did it last about 1.5 hours? Was it hot? Do you think that teenagers would enjoy this tour?

I thought it was interesting as we had been to the colosseum before and it was "new" to us and also the idea that it's a place not many people get to see! they take you into "closed off" areas, so it's only been open for a few months and not sure how long they'll be doing it for. They take you down and show you where the animals and gladiators stayed and came in. they talk about how they constructed the building, how they had water in the bottom and elaborate gladiator shows. They also discusssed how they faught, about where people sat, how it looked, etc. If you don't like to read the exhibits (I'm not one for looking at exhibits or going into museums) this was a nice tour as they just told you everything that you might want to know. I think it was cool and i'm not into museums. I think the kids would like it, but maybe they'll just like to walk around and leave...it's neat just to go inside irregardless. if you don't want to wait in a line, this is a good way to prepurchase and pick up your tickets, go on your own, then go on the tour and be done. yes 1 1/2 hours sounds about right! :)

It wasn't hot at all. cool underneath actually! :)

After all that planning Zukini, embracedbylife & I did over the last year, I felt so bad when I heard Zukini didn't make it to Cairo. The hotel was a good choice and the tour company you chose to use were top notch.

Great Pyramid at Giza-van drove us right up to it.

DH on Kamal. I asked for him. Guide ran and got his friend but they had to get this bigger Kamal and all was well.

Sphinx-no crowds.

Step Pyramid at Sakkara

Ramses II, inside small museum.

Bought a cartouche for grand daughter on way to hotel.

Dinner on our own in hotel.

That concluded our day 1.

Embracedbylife. I am really enjoying your report and photos. What a trip. Enjoyed planning it with you and Zukini.

IMG_5604.jpg.ccf3eadc3f05c973ca87ffd1cfbcf89d.jpg

IMG_5650.jpg.219c7eb72e8198526818cdeb78361085.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg.4264c125c2c56f97bbd70c044180098c.jpg

IMG_5696.jpg.1ce2a1530d0272bb15f09c1dd7c18dd4.jpg

IMG_5708.jpg.9ee657af6c0aa88aa2aa229988ddb6d3.jpg

Thanks

Warren

I'll pop in and answer that. They collect the passports to give them the appropriate visa stamps. They were collected at boarding, and Egyptian officials were on board to go through all of the passports and insert an Egyptian visa stamp. The passports were returned before we arrived in Alexandria, and it was mandatory to carry them off the ship, as the Egyptian officials at the exit ramp needed to examine the visa stamp as you disembarked.

When we left Egypt, the passports were again collected by the room stewards, and receipts were given. This time, they were retained for visas by the Greek officials at Chios. I guess that stamp also served for Turkey, since they're members of the Schengen agreement. The passports were not returned to us again until we had completed the Greek and Turkish ports and were on our way back to Italy.

Thanks for the review, I am enjoying your descriptions and photos. Zukini, how do you bookmark a thread? Do you have to make a comment to follow a thread? Thanks

Toward the top right there's a pull-down for Thread Tools. Under there, you'll find an option to "Subscribe to this Thread". If you choose that, you'll be given an option to be notified if something gets added to the thread.

I find that to be a bit of a pain, so I choose "No Notification". Then, whenever I log into Cruise Critic, I just click on the option on the top left for "User CP". This gives you a kind of summary page with any threads you've subscribed to. Very handy.

Archived