Just returned from aboard the Veendam

schoolinmy3

First of all apologies to our wonderful roll call group. I did not make it to the M&G. :o Mostly due to our little group of new cruisers. They had gotten seasick from the somewhat rocky conditions our first day out to sea. By the time I had finished doctoring our little group the time for the M&G had passed. Even my husband couldn't believe I had missed it. But we had a wonderful cruise and despite the less than glamorous start due to rough seas, our newbies would all cruise again. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Diane

We tendered at St. George. The first call for going ashore was for those that booked shore excursions. Then the rest of the passengers could embark on the ferry tender at 9:30. There were two ferries tied up to the Veendam. It seemed that all those who wanted to go ashore did fit onto the ferry that left at 9:30. The ride over wasn't bad, approximately a half hour as far as we recollect, it just took a long time for everyone to file off the ferry once we reached St. George. Then, we attempted to buy bus passes at the welcome center. However, they ran out of passes and so we walked over to the post office to buy the rest of them. The post office also has an internet kiosk so my husband checked his email quickly (it was free). Kids' prices on the bus passes are up to age 16 and are half the adult fare.

Diane

For our group of 9 we used the bus system extensively. However, it is not particularly easy to figure out. Also, the buses get very crowded. If you go to the beaches in the evening, as we did, be prepared to flag a taxi for your return to the Veendam. The buses do not run as frequently in the evening and you may wait a long time. My daughter and I rode horses on the beaches early in the morning before the buses were running so Spicelands sent a taxi to meet us at the ship at 6:15, then we took a bus ride back afterwards. If anyone has further questions about the transportation I will try to answer them.

Diane

Thanks for the offer to ask questions! We're leaving on our first cruise in 3 weeks. I am wondering about the newbies who were taken down by seasickness. My husband fears that. Did any of them take anything before hand and still get sick, or did it catch them off guard? How did you get it under control? I am planning on giving my husband ginger prior to leaving and taking medication with us. But just wanted to know if anything failed for you.

Thanks for the offer to ask questions! We're leaving on our first cruise in 3 weeks. I am wondering about the newbies who were taken down by seasickness. My husband fears that. Did any of them take anything before hand and still get sick, or did it catch them off guard? How did you get it under control? I am planning on giving my husband ginger prior to leaving and taking medication with us. But just wanted to know if anything failed for you.

I was using the patch and so I gave some extras to my friends as they were really miserable! The patch worked for my son's friends, twins (age 22), who were on their first cruise. They woke up in the morning of the sea day quite queasy and I found them pasty looking and lying in bed. After using the patch they felt much better. My girlfriend also had tried dramamine that she brought with her, but it made her really sick. She was even sick the whole day we were in St. George. The patch is prescription and some people don't like how it makes them feel. Obviously since it is prescription you should talk to your doctor before using it. My husband and son don't use it but my daughter (age 11) and I do. I didn't need to use anything on our Mediterranean cruise in May. We barely felt the ship move. But the Atlantic Ocean to Bermuda was a different story! The seas were rolling the boat sideways as we were crossing a current. You could tell because if you walked around the promenade deck one side of the ship was quiet and the other quite noisy. Our balcony on deck 9 was getting spray from below so it was definitely a bit rough.

Diane

Did you make reservation for Spice Island horseback riding before you left or while in Bermuda? How much was the taxi fare to get there? Thanks

Yes, I did make arrangements before I left for Bermuda. The taxi fare was around $17 or $18 I think but I gave him a $20. He was waiting in front of the ship promptly at 6:15. (Spicelands arranged the taxi ride)The ride on the beaches was fantastic. I am not a rider, it was only the second time I have been on a horse. But my daughter loves horseback riding. She is 11 and they don't usually take children under 13 unless they have had riding experience. The trail to the beaches is a little steep in places but nothing that made me uncomfortable and the horses are very well taken care of. We chose the early morning ride as it is the only time slot that will take you directly on the beaches. The most beautiful beach we were on was called Stonehole Bay. We loved it so much that we went back there later in the day with our friends to swim and also returned the next day! Hardly anyone knows it is there and the sand is so soft and pink of course. You can make arrangements by email, although I did not want to give my credit card through email, but instead gave it over the phone. That is just my personal preference. Here is Spicelands contact info:

50 Middle Road

Warwick WK03

Bermuda

Tel: +441 238 8212

Fax: +441 238 6479

e-mail: spicelands@logic.bm

www.spicelandsriding.com

We sailed twice on the Noordam from NYC to the Caribbean and both times had 18 to 20 foot seas. Best to be prepared. I imagine the seas to Bermuda can be the same.

Not prone to mal de mer, but still take ginger "just in case". ;)

Where did it get rough on the way to Bermuda? Did it start right away or was it down by the Carolinas. I usually don't have any problems but I'm thinking I might put on a scopolamine disc when we get settled in the room....this way it will last during the trip over. Just want to enjoy myself and hate feeling sea sick if I can avoid it. Better to be safe than sorry!

Where did it get rough on the way to Bermuda? Did it start right away or was it down by the Carolinas. I usually don't have any problems but I'm thinking I might put on a scopolamine disc when we get settled in the room....this way it will last during the trip over. Just want to enjoy myself and hate feeling sea sick if I can avoid it. Better to be safe than sorry!

My daughter started feeling queasy late in the evening, around 9 pm, and she put on a patch. The seas increased during the night and continued through the next day. They were putting out the vomit bags on the railings during the day and I believe someone was ill on the steps because one set of steps between the main deck and the deck above it was roped off. Most of us were glad when the ship stopped moving! The patch says it takes 4 hours to take affect.

diane

I was on this cruise too! Great weather, no one in our party of 4 was sick and we were always on the bus by 9:00 or 9:30 headed to the beaches and back by 2:00 - 3:00 again on the bus with no issues and no crowding....more info to come but I was so happy with this cruise that I'm recruiting a group to go back again either last cruise this season or next June. There were a few minor areas of improvement (getting off the ferry from St. George...just say no and meet the ship in Hamilton, really uncomfortable lounge chairs - the white "wicker" ones that we kept sliding off of, and a need for some music/entertainment geared to a younger crowd), but the food and service were great and I loved the size of the Veendam and having 3 and a half days in Bermuda.

Oh and disembarkation? Easiest and quickest EVER in all 10 of my cruises.. :D

We sailed twice on the Noordam from NYC to the Caribbean and both times had 18 to 20 foot seas. Best to be prepared. I imagine the seas to Bermuda can be the same.

Not prone to mal de mer, but still take ginger "just in case". ;)

Amongst the three of us and 17 cruises... there has been one case of seasickness: my father on Noordam. That being said, he sat and watched the waves out the window from a low deck and refused to eat green apples!

We really didn't find Veendam to be bad at all this last week. I saw the seasicknesses bags and kind of wondered why they were out!

First of all apologies to our wonderful roll call group. I did not make it to the M&G. :o Mostly due to our little group of new cruisers. They had gotten seasick from the somewhat rocky conditions our first day out to sea. By the time I had finished doctoring our little group the time for the M&G had passed. Even my husband couldn't believe I had missed it. But we had a wonderful cruise and despite the less than glamorous start due to rough seas, our newbies would all cruise again. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.

Diane

You were missed at the M & G. I wanted to meet you and had met a homeschool family later in the week I thought was you but was not.

We loved the cruise and actually wanted to book same time next year but it was a couple thousand dollars more so we will wait it out.

We went to Warwick/Jobsons/Stonehole/Horseshoe both days. We saw horseback riders. I wonder if we were there at the same time.

I met a lady in the buffet who had been sick and on dramimine--I told her to go to the front desk to get bonine/meclazine because they would not make her tired. Could that have been your friend?

I'm glad your friends liked cruising.

If one waits until one feels queasy, it is usually too late to take anything. As many have posted on these boards, start medication a day or two before sailing (we prefer Bonine) and double the dose on embarkation. We've taken 10 cruises, followed this advice on all of them and never suffered seasickness.

Having said that, some people are more prone to being affected by motion than others. It doesn't matter what precaution they use, they may still feel some ill effects from a pitching ship.

So glad your friends didn't let the rough ride to Bermuda spoil their desire to cruise again. It sounds as though everyone had a fabulous time.

You were missed at the M & G. I wanted to meet you and had met a homeschool family later in the week I thought was you but was not.

We loved the cruise and actually wanted to book same time next year but it was a couple thousand dollars more so we will wait it out.

We went to Warwick/Jobsons/Stonehole/Horseshoe both days. We saw horseback riders. I wonder if we were there at the same time.

I met a lady in the buffet who had been sick and on dramimine--I told her to go to the front desk to get bonine/meclazine because they would not make her tired. Could that have been your friend?

I'm glad your friends liked cruising.

Yes, I felt bad missing the M&G. I had attended on our last two cruises and loved meeting our CC friends. You probably did see us at some point at Stonehole. We were on the beach at 7 am with the horses and then came back later to swim. I also saw a group of horseback riders Thursday riding on the beach trails around 11 am. They were also from Spicelands as the trail guide was the same one we had. Wasn't the water just an amazing color?

So glad your friends didn't let the rough ride to Bermuda spoil their desire to cruise again. It sounds as though everyone had a fabulous time.

Yes, we were a group of 9 with 5 having never been on a cruise so I was relieved that they enjoyed it. Every evening we hung out in the Mix listening to Gary on acoustic guitar while playing on the surface tables and having drinks. My 18 yo son loves live music and both the cruises he has been on have had excellent guitarists. (last year we were on the Eurodam and listened to Aaron Tessis if I remember correctly). Also the magician show with Jeff Peterson and Indy the dog is worth seeing. Indy is just adorable. Other highlights were eating at Canaletto and watching movies outside in the Retreat area. (although with the hot tubs turned on it was hard to hear the movies). Everyone ate too much (of course) but my husband and I did the On Deck for the Cure 5k so we had some exercise!

Diane

Diane

Amongst the three of us and 17 cruises... there has been one case of seasickness: my father on Noordam. That being said, he sat and watched the waves out the window from a low deck and refused to eat green apples!

We really didn't find Veendam to be bad at all this last week. I saw the seasicknesses bags and kind of wondered why they were out!

The seas did not bother my husband and son but I get motion sickness very easily. And my daughter doesn't have a strong stomach either! We were all glad when the boat stopped moving. Everyone just has different tolerance levels. I did meet others who were feeling a bit ill.

Diane

We did not have any air-conditioning issues but a water pipe did break next to our room in the fire sprinkler closet. Apparently they tested a sprinkler and the water pressure caused a pipe to burst. Initially they had fans in the hallway to dry up the carpet. At some point our carpet was soaked just in front of the balcony door so they brought fans into our room. It wasn't an issue for us but they sent up a bottle of wine with a note of apology. There were other areas they were drying with fans but they could have been from the same incident. Afterwards our water pressure in our shower was much improved! The furnishings were in good condition and I didn't notice anything that was worn or needed replaced. At the beginning of the cruise they brought new wicker chairs aboard and a whole bunch of new cushions for the loungers. The crew spent port days repainting the ship's hull that beautiful blue color. My girlfriend loved the mattress on her bed and wanted to take it home with her! So far of the cruises we have taken the Eurodam is our favorite ship. However, the Veendam is beautifully maintained and the crew worked very hard the whole week to make sure the guests enjoyed themselves. Our only disappointment is with fellow cruisers as there are some who are rude, demanding and complaining. My friend noticed this (her first cruise) and we all need to remember a smile goes a long way to make their jobs easier.

I am sorry about the rough seas, it can sure ruin a vacation. I read the post hoping to get a reaction to th m.s. Veendam itself. How did you like this particular ship?

There were a lot of things we liked about the Veendam. The Retreat area is nice. My daughter and I used the hot tubs. We ate outside by the Slice often because the boys had to eat pizza for lunch every day! I liked being able to go to two forward decks to take pictures. The one above the Crow'sNest and the one you access through the showroom doors. The Mix was a nice area to relax in in the evening. I didn't like that the Crow's Nest had smoking on one half. I prefer how the Noordam and Eurodam have the guitarist in the Crow's Nest because I love to watch the seas in the evening. We also missed the glass elevators. Even though the Eurodam remains our favorite ship, I would not hesitate to sail the Veendam again. It definitely is the best ship sailing to Bermuda. Being docked in Hamilton is fantastic. I would not want to be out at the Dockyards with the Gem and the other ships. My friend did like the self service laundry. I don't do laundry on vacation :D but it made her happy. Oh, and I loved the artwork and Neptune in the Lido.

Diane

Your comments/review are very helpful. Thank you.

Do you happen to know the dress code for Canaletto on Formal nights?

We may wish to skip the 2nd Formal night and wonder if Canaletto was an option for dinner instead, with smart casual?

We may wish to skip the 2nd Formal night and wonder if Canaletto was an option for dinner instead, with smart casual?

The dress code for formal nights in the Canaletto is smart casual. The dress code on formal nights only applies to the MDR & the PG. :)

Two of our young men opted for dress shirts with ties but no jackets for the Canaletto. The others wore polo shirts. For my daughter, myself and my friend we wore casual skirts and tops. It is difficult to get reservations so I would make them ASAP once you board. The young men in our group went to a Culinary Arts demonstration for the Penne a la Vodka and told me that they learned the Canaletto may become a surcharge venue in the future.

Diane

Archived