Booking future cruise while onboard

Johnny Thunder

We were on the Celebrity foe Christmas and met with an agent to plan a summer 10 night European cruise. It was $10,000 for 2 parents and 2 kids. I recently booked a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse online (newer ship, 4 days longer) for $6500 for the four of us...so in our case, it cost much more to book while on board.

Yes, you can book an Azamara and a Royal too if you want.

Oh - good to know. We are on an Oct Silhouette TA and want to book a May Azamara itinerary. Can we also expect the reduced deposit and/or shipboard credit on Azamara if we book on board Celebrity?

Thanks

Patty

We were on the Celebrity for Christmas and met with an agent to plan a summer 10 night European cruise. It was $10,000 for 2 parents and 2 kids. I recently booked a 14 night cruise on the Eclipse online (newer ship, 4 days longer) for $6500 for the four of us...so in our case, it cost much more to book while on board.

Is the more expensive one in the Med vs the other one in the Caribbean? If so. that is not surprising. If both are in Europe, than probably it is because the cruise lines are all realizing there is over supply there this summer and fall. There are a LOT of bargains now on the cruises of all prices to help attract people who feel they can't afford the so much higher airfares available to Europe now.

The market (and the economy) has changed pretty significantly since December. (You might check to see if you can get any refund on your summer cruise or at least more shipboard credit. I don't know if you are past final payment.) We booked an Oct Silhouette TA on board Equinox in December and got a l(slightly) ower price recently by having the TA call them.

We were just on the Century and booked onboard for a cruise in 2012. We received a $300 onboard credit for a two week cruise, and were told we would pay for a category C3 and receive a C1 stateroom. This is for a cruise in Asia on the Millennium. The deposit was $100 per person rather than the usual $900. We asked for a CC midship stateroom on a floor not directly below the Lido deck, which is our usual preference.

We did receive a statement before disembarkation, which gave us a stateroom assignment and a "gross" total for the cruise. Our travel agent was noted on the receipt.

On arriving home, I noticed that we had been assigned a C3 stateroom (midship) and my travel agent told us that we had been charged for a C2 category. He did straighten this up with Celebrity. We now have been charged for a C3 Category, and have a nice midship C2 stateroom. We could have received the C1, but apparently they are predominantly aft, which is not our thing after experiencing an aft stateroom in heavy seas. So, we declined the C1 and are happy with our stateroom directly midship on the Panorama Deck. In all honesty, I doubt there is much difference between a midship C3 and a midship C2 (other than price) but it was the kind of bait and switch way this was handled by the onboard booking desk that made this kind of odd.

This was our first time to book onboard, and I think if we do it again, I will pay better attention to the details before we disembark.

The next time you're booking while onboard, make sure you are assigned a specific cabin number during the booking process. That's part of the deal if you're booking a specific cruise. Sounds like the person booking you didn't know what he/she was doing. I recommend doing your research before you go and knowing what cabin you want (along with some alternatives, should your preferred cabin be taken). Also, get the confirmation in writing before you leave the representative.

Oh - good to know. We are on an Oct Silhouette TA and want to book a May Azamara itinerary. Can we also expect the reduced deposit and/or shipboard credit on Azamara if we book on board Celebrity?

Thanks

Patty

Hi Patty:) I have never booked anything other than Celebrity while

on board but I am guessing the process would work the same way~

but, I don't want to give you misinformation either. Maybe someone

who has booked one of the other lines can give you 100% correct

info;)

Is the more expensive one in the Med vs the other one in the Caribbean? If so. that is not surprising. If both are in Europe, than probably it is because the cruise lines are all realizing there is over supply there this summer and fall. There are a LOT of bargains now on the cruises of all prices to help attract people who feel they can't afford the so much higher airfares available to Europe now.

The market (and the economy) has changed pretty significantly since December. (You might check to see if you can get any refund on your summer cruise or at least more shipboard credit. I don't know if you are past final payment.) We booked an Oct Silhouette TA on board Equinox in December and got a l(slightly) ower price recently by having the TA call them.

Both cruises were Europe, so I am just really happy we waited. We have a balcony cabin and probably saved about 50% by booking on celebrity.com one month out rather than on the ship 6 months out.

I thought the economy was improving!?! ;)

We just ran into this issue when trying to use our Celebrity Passages: We purchased the Celebrity Passages while on the Millennium in January 2008. It does not expire. I tried to use it yesterday to book on the Summit, when there was a deal for $100 OBC for booking on the Summer Solstice (June 21st).

I figured that the future cruise credit would work like it does on Princess, but that was not the case. When you purchase a Celebrity Passage, it is an actual booking and already has a booking number assigned. Since the deal yesterday for the $100 OBC was for new bookings only, they wouldn't let me have the OBC.

I also could not book through my travel agent unless I filled out a form online to release the booking to my TA and faxed/mailed the form to Celebrity. Since I was trying to book it yesterday for the 1-day special OBC, that wasn't going to work (my husband would have had to fax it from work today). I ended up booking through Celebrity instead of my TA. It all became a moot point when I found out that I couldn't get the $100 OBC deal anyway...

So, moral of the story is: if you purchase the Celebrity Passage instead of a specific cruise, if possible, transfer the booking to your TA right away. I actually think that they now have a 60 day limit in which you can transfer the booking to a TA. I was told that since my Passage was so old (2008), that it was "grandfathered in" and I would be allowed to transfer it.

I'm still going to transfer the booking to my TA in the hopes of getting their OBC...

I tried to book a cruise once onboard and didn't go through with the deal because the OBC would have meant that I would not get shareholder benefits and - that was the main reason I walked out of the office again wothout a booking - they could not give me the coveted C1 cabin instead of C3/C2. They were already booked out!

So I waited and - the price for the cruise dropped enormously... I still have not got the C1, but a very nice cabin nevertheless.

So I think I might book onboard if I liked the itinerary, wanted a specific cabin or if I felt sure the cruise will be fully booked in the near future. But sometimes it might pay to wait. At the moment I'm still undecided whether to book an Antarctic cruise while on board ( I simply NEED a midship location!) or if I should wait a bit, since the cruises will be in 2013!!

I have been reading the posts and have a question. We booked our first cruise with X 4months ago for April 2013. Since then we decided to change our NCL to Bermuda May 2012 to X. Neither cruise at this time will get any OBC because we have not sailed with X before. In order to receive the OBC for the second cruise, will we need to cancel the cruise and rebook onboard in May?

We weren't expecting to change the May cruise but when we saw the Summit was being solsticized we decided to switch.

thanks for any help.

I have been reading the posts and have a question. We booked our first cruise with X 4months ago for April 2013. Since then we decided to change our NCL to Bermuda May 2012 to X. Neither cruise at this time will get any OBC because we have not sailed with X before. In order to receive the OBC for the second cruise, will we need to cancel the cruise and rebook onboard in May?

We weren't expecting to change the May cruise but when we saw the Summit was being solsticized we decided to switch.

thanks for any help.

You can get OBC from a TA. To get OBC from X you either have to book onboard or during a promotion. If you made an existing booking for Summit already then you won't get any OBC from Celebrity.

You can get OBC from a TA. To get OBC from X you either have to book onboard or during a promotion. If you made an existing booking for Summit already then you won't get any OBC from Celebrity.

Thanks. that's what I figured. I'll track the price and cabin availability. May cancel right before Bermuda and rebook on board if they are offering anything.

Archived