The Hermitage

We are trying to decide among several tours in St. Petersburg. There is one that gives early admission to the Hermitage.

I went on Trip Advisor.... I am confused as to whether early admission is really the thing to do. I read that a set route is taken and that every cruise ship does early admission for those who choose that tour making it very crowded anyway.

Does anyone have experience either with early admission or not? Thanks!!

We are trying to decide among several tours in St. Petersburg. There is one that gives early admission to the Hermitage.

I went on Trip Advisor.... I am confused as to whether early admission is really the thing to do. I read that a set route is taken and that every cruise ship does early admission for those who choose that tour making it very crowded anyway.

I would say that early admission was a good idea before it gets too crowded. You can see everything so much better when there are not too many people around. I would also recommend the Hermitage 'with the gold room' if you have the option. Very worthwhile!

We did early admission and the gold room and the jewel room last trip..this time doing early admission and gold room..very worthwhile

We were first in and there were 12 of us in each room..only 12!! Wow..how neat..they were still vacuuming and dusting things..loved it! Sherry

I never considered early admission and just went with my tour's schedule, which got us to The Hermitage at around 2.15. This shows how busy it was on June 4 last year

I suppose it was fairly busy but I never felt the crowds hindered me seeing anything as fully as I wanted. Looking back the only time I even noticed them was when I joined the queue to photograph the Madonna Litta, and even then I was detained for less than a couple of minutes.

So early admission or not, it's an amazing experience.

All the best, Tony

Early admission is NOT required to avoid some of the huge crowds. Maybe it is more like the luck of the draw. We did the Hermitage on day 2, after lunch, and it was crowded, but in some areas, like the ones in these video's, our group had the room almost to ourselves.

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1037.mp4

http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/?action=view&current=europemaster1035.mp4

And with good guides, they some how seem to get you right to the front of what they want to show you and we enver stood in line for anything.

Cheers

Len

Early admission is for tours of ALL the ships but does save some time. We saw out one of the windows the long line-up of those trying to get in. Yes, it is worthwhile but don't just expect your own tour there. Many others. Also, expect very long line-ups in the ladies washroom.

The Hermitage does have lunch available and if on your own, they take euros and other currencies as well. Very convenient. Not cheap but nothing is cheap in northern Europe.

The 2 day trip is great and well worth it. You will see a lot. The first day guide we had was not as good as the one on the 2nd day.

Traiffic is St. Petersburg is rough and there are many accidents (fender benders) and it can cause huge holdups. The 2nd day we got back to the ship late but no matter. Rotterdam was waiting for us.

The only thing we could have done without on day 1 is the subway. I was not impressed and the many stairs going down and later up were rough. The subway cars itself seem like rush hour but at 1 p.m. or so. Packed like sardines. Art - well, I have seen better on other subway systems. Subways travel very fast and shake a lot.

..and I'd hate to see what it was like without early admission. Actually, I did see by the time we left. As previously stated, early admission does not mean "private." There were quite a few tour groups but nothing like it was by the time we departed a couple hours later. The first hour or so was very manageable and worthwhile but you could hardly move by the time we were exiting the Hermitage.

If you have the opportunity for "early admission," take it!

HOT and no ac...or fans,,,so go early,,,and just avoid tour groups in each room,,go to far location and work backward,,,,dress cooly,,,that is a deciding factor for me to choose early,,when somewhat cooler....;)

I will be going in July and opted for early admission. I still expect it to be crowded but thought it would be a bit cooler in the morning. Especially important if there is any volcanic activity in Iceland making countries hotter.

To Tony,

The video you made is great! Been to the Hermitage twice and will do so again in September. Everyone should buy the book with the beautiful photos of the Hermitage. I did and so enjoy it.

Sheila

The best of BOTH is an early admission AND doing a private tour. That was our experience in late July 2008 and it was wonderful. You can see some pictures below. Avoiding a large ship tour with people being "forced marched through in mass" is ideal.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now over 14,000 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 44,600 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 17 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Examing one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes more than just paintings:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

One of the two dozen or so paintings by Rembrandt inside the Hermitage. This is his famed Return of the Prodigal Son that was done shortly before his death in 1669. Our guide explained that this painting reflected his normal power of realism, but added more psychological insights and spiritual awareness at this period in his personal history.:

1A-StP-Hermt-RemProd.jpg

Another example of Hermitage galleries with lots of room and special architecture. The display rooms are all different in their design and style:

1A-StP-Hermt-DisplayRoom.jpg

Hi, we have just returned from the Baltic on Emerald Princess. We took the two-day combined Princess cruise tour and had early admission to the Hermitage. We saw the paintings displayed in Terri's beautiful pictures. We had a great guide who took the time to explain the importance of the art, the furniture etc. The Hermitage is so beautiful and we were fortunate to also view the Gold Room. The cost of this Princess tour is high but it was given to us as a gift. We had just over 20 people on the bus and really enjoyed the two days and an evening at Catherine's Palace.

Hi, we have just returned from the Baltic on Emerald Princess. We took the two-day combined Princess cruise tour and had early admission to the Hermitage. We saw the paintings displayed in Terri's beautiful pictures. We had a great guide who took the time to explain the importance of the art, the furniture etc. The Hermitage is so beautiful and we were fortunate to also view the Gold Room. The cost of this Princess tour is high but it was given to us as a gift. We had just over 20 people on the bus and really enjoyed the two days and an evening at Catherine's Palace.

THANKS for the nice comment on my visuals from the Hermitage! Having a smaller group and more personal guide makes a huge difference to better appreciate all of the wonderful history that is there. Below are a few more of the view with the Hermitage. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Inside the Hermitage, this is the spectacular ceiling over the Grand Staircase you enter this Winter Palace for the Czars that is now one of the world’s top museums. Also below is a carved marble statue in its collection and the doors are you enter a large reception where the Royal leaders granted audiences:

HermitCeiling.jpg

HermMarbleStat.jpg

HermitageHallEnt.jpg

Tony,

Thanks for the videos, nicely done. I'll check out your other videos on YouTube also.

Bob P

(we're going in Sep. and plan to spend about 6 days in St. Pete so two or three trips to the Hermitage will be included, for sure)

PS thanks to TLC and others for some amzaing pix, also!

Tony,

Thanks for the videos, nicely done. I'll check out your other videos on YouTube also.

Bob P

(we're going in Sep. and plan to spend about 6 days in St. Pete so two or three trips to the Hermitage will be included, for sure)

PS thanks to TLC and others for some amzaing pix, also!

Hi Bob,

Thanks, 6 days there must be fantastic, I'm really envious.

Thanks to Sheila too, I will get a book of The Hermitage. I was there for at least 90 minutes and thought I'd seen it all, but back on the ship I heard someone mention an exhibit I couldn't recall so obviously I'd missed something :)

We recently returned from a Baltic cruise with two days in St. Petersburg. We went with TJ Travel that provided a custom tour including a five hour Hermitage tour. We gave them a not to be missed list and Katya made sure we saw them all. They provided advance entry tickets and we did not spend any time waiting to get in the Hermitage or any other venue.

I am in St Petersburg on 18 July on Vision of the Seas for one day. A tour operator that I am in contact with says they can arrange a special opening of the Hermitage. Is this normal practice?

Thanks,

Akkers

I am in St Petersburg on 18 July on Vision of the Seas for one day. A tour operator that I am in contact with says they can arrange a special opening of the Hermitage. Is this normal practice?

Thanks,

Akkers

Yes, the Hermitage opens for many tour groups on Mondays.

Early admission is for tours of ALL the ships but does save some time. We saw out one of the windows the long line-up of those trying to get in.

Early admission is not the only way to avoid the lines, I think all the tour companies are able to use a separate entrance. We were on a private tour with Alla (just our family) and still were able to skip the long line using the "group" entrance. Hermitage was very crowded when we were there but we did not stand in line for anything. (Actually to be fair the whole of St Petersburg was very crowded - even e.g. Peterhof gardens, never mind the cathedrals! ... not just the Hermitage. If I ever go back it will definitely not be in the height of tourist season.)

Thanks,

Akkers

I would double check. As I understood it the Hermitage is only open for cruise ship tours on Mondays.

Archived