Meet and Mingle party

Chuckler

My one and only experience trying to organize a Meet and Mingle with Oceania was not pleasant. I got nowhere contacting office in U.S. We were told to talk to concierge on board, but she was not very helpful in advance at all. I know now from my own experience and from reading of others' on Oceania the best thing is just to get your roll call folk together on your own. Popular time to get together is right after safety drill. Suggested meeting places are the small lounge at entrance to main dining room or in the Horizons Bar on the smaller ships. I'm not familiar with Marina.

My one and only experience trying to organize a Meet and Mingle with Oceania was not pleasant. I got nowhere contacting office in U.S. We were told to talk to concierge on board, but she was not very helpful in advance at all. I know now from my own experience and from reading of others' on Oceania the best thing is just to get your roll call folk together on your own. Popular time to get together is right after safety drill. Suggested meeting places are the small lounge at entrance to main dining room or in the Horizons Bar on the smaller ships. I'm not familiar with Marina.

The Meet and Greets have ALWAYS been handled on the ship (through the Concierge) for as long as Oceania has been a going concern.

The logic is that the Concierge should concentrate his efforts on the passengers who are sailing NOW.

When we organize a Roll Call, we typically make it a point to sit down with the Concierge on the first day of the cruise, soon after the embarkation madness is over, and give him a list of the names and cabin numbers of our group.

We then establish a time and place when our gathering will least impact the other activities on the ship. Competing with the Captains Cocktail Party or, God forbid, Bingo could be a disaster. This is why we don't plan the date and time beforehand.

We then figure out the wording for an invitation, and ask that the concierge have them printed and distributed. Others claim to have encountered resistance to this, but with the amount of printing that the ship does daily, anyway, this virtually costs Oceania nothing, so just ask pleasantly.

Oceania does not provide refreshments for the Cruise Critic parties, but when you are on a cruise where they feed you every twenty minutes anyway, this does not seem to be much of an issue. We are old enough to remember when food WAS provided, and it was hardly ever touched anyway.

Hope this helped, and if we left anything crucial out, just ask ;)

Have a great cruise~

Back in the early days of Oceania they did have M & G parties for Yahoo groups but you had to have a minimum # of people registered ....25 I think was the magic number

They supplied drinks, snacks & some of the upper staff attended

Those are gone now:(

Lyn

Our Roll Call for Scandinavian Splendours, July 25, 2011 has agreed to meet on Tuesday, July 26 at 5PM in Horizons...Starboard side...we asked nothing of the ship and will not...we have all just agreed to meet there if we are available. Our roll call is about 20 people so should not be a problem with space.

Our Roll Call for Scandinavian Splendours, July 25, 2011 has agreed to meet on Tuesday, July 26 at 5PM in Horizons...Starboard side...we asked nothing of the ship and will not...we have all just agreed to meet there if we are available. Our roll call is about 20 people so should not be a problem with space.

Yeah, I started out as independent minded as you, but if they are serving Tea in Horizons on that day, you had better have a plan B, and be able to communicate with your group while onboard. ;)

Yeah, I started out as independent minded as you, but if they are serving Tea in Horizons on that day, you had better have a plan B, and be able to communicate with your group while onboard. ;)

Tea is over at 5pm & Happy Hour begins :D

I'm in charge of the M & G for the 8/26 Alaska sailing out of SF. Decided to have it in Martinis on the 27th @ 4:00 pm. I've posted this info. on the Roll Call. Don't intend to involve the Concierge at all. We'll take up a small part of the lounge. Only way to tell that we're ccers is with our name tags...assuming pax. will wear them.

Not hard at all.

Back in the early days of Oceania they did have M & G parties for Yahoo groups but you had to have a minimum # of people registered ....25 I think was the magic number

They supplied drinks, snacks & some of the upper staff attended

Those are gone now:(

Lyn

I remember those.:(...we had them the first and second year Oceania was in existence....Now if you let the C D now, he/she will come up and say hello!! Arlene

I believe that on sail away day, as we have planned, many folks will be out and about and we will have about 14 people at most...roll call is very small for this cruise.

We had our Meet & Greet on our June 11 Baltic cruise (sailaway scheduled for 10 PM from Copenhagen) on June 11 in Horizons right after the Muster Drill. (We had little choice as to timing because our first port the next morning was Warnemunde, with many going to Berlin for the day.:eek:).

Horizons was pleasantly deserted, the bar staff was attentive and, as the hour wore on, Marina staff come around with some lovely small platters of complimentary appetizers.

The only cruise lines where the cruise line does the work are Royal Caribbean/Celebrity/Azamara...They actually have a sign-up page on their websites which is linked directly to Cruise Critic...They reserve a room, provide drinks and snacks (and even "door prizes" on RCI) as well as having an important crew member or two attend...They require 25 passengers to sign up to confirm it...

With everyone else, Oceania included, you are on your own...

JimandStan, the problem with going to see the Concierge when you get to the ship is that, generally, people like to have the Meet and Greet on the first day or reasonably close to it...We want to get together to find the people with whom we've arranged private port tours...we want to find people to make "dinner dates"...We want to put faces with screen names...and, the earlier the better...So, it pays to have it all arranged ahead of time...

For our August 10 Marina sailing, we've been trying to come up with a time and place by consensus...Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of a next day at sea day...We board on the 10th and, on the 11th, we're in Honfleur...We don't have an at sea day until Day 13 of a 16 night cruise...

So, we've tentatively been looking at 5:00 pm or right after the Muster Drill in Horizons (it was there or up on the pool deck), Embarkation Day...We need to get the word out on the Roll Call and we'll just hope everyone shows up...We've had a very active Roll Call thus far with 29 poster participating...we hope we can pull it off in some sort of organized fashion...

Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of a next day at sea day...We board on the 10th and, on the 11th, we're in Honfleur...We don't have an at sea day until Day 13 of a 16 night cruise...

So, we've tentatively been looking at 5:00 pm or right after the Muster Drill in Horizons (it was there or up on the pool deck), Embarkation Day...We need to get the word out on the Roll Call and we'll just hope everyone shows up...We've had a very active Roll Call thus far with 29 poster participating...we hope we can pull it off in some sort of organized fashion...

Steve, it worked out for very nicely us to hold it right after the Muster Drill (see post 12 above), which no longer requires going out to the deck to broil in the sun, so only took around 20 minutes. (Originally scheduled for the usual 5:15 PM, it was postponed until 5:45 PM, so I actually finished unpacking first!).

Archived