Is Silversea having problems filling the ships this summer?

CruisinGerman

Another whole bunch of special sales, all at $2,999 verandah suite for 7 days Mediterranean in August/September, and 9 days Caribbean in November/December (presumably sans air fare). All these are on the Spirit. The Spirit, being larger is harder to fill, and reading this board, it appears not to be the favourite compared to the other four ships, especially among the Silversea regulars.

Meow, I am saying a few things..and not as an arguement but for information.

-Crystal still has assigned seating. However it also offers a section of the diningroom where you can reserve your table for each evening at any time you wish. [breakfast & lunch are open seating.] There are no lines or waiting times involved.

-In addition Crystal has two specialty restaurants, Prego [italian] and [Nobu's] Silk Road. Both of these are by reservation. You can make one reservation at time of payment and additional resv. while on board. Silk Road also has a first come, first served sushi bar if you need a sushi fix.

-Many nights there is additional on deck informal grill style dining [a bit like La Verandah at night except uner the stars.]

-Because pax are dining in cabin or in these alternate venues, there are vacant tables and vacancies at tables. This leads to flexibility in inviting new friends to join you for dinner and vice versa.

You might enjoy looking at the web site.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when Crystal adds inclusive bar and gratuities in spring, 2012. I do feel that it will make them more competitive although for myself, I am perfectly happy w. onboard credits [as I was with Regent]. I do hope that they are able to maintain their excellent on board entertainment, lectures,etc. and I do hope that they never include tours!

Hi PaulaJK: It sounds like you really enjoyed your Crystal cruise. You would be the first former or current Regent customer that has this opinion of Crystal. Like you, not arguing -- just find this extremely interesting. We really enjoy Silversea. Is there anything about Crystal that you feel is better than Silversea and/or Regent?

In terms of the topic, I have mentioned on other threads that we really want to book a Silversea cruise for 2012 but find the fares over the top. They are even higher than Regent and they include excursions and a pre-cruise hotel. In fact, a fairly unpopular itinerary (Tokyo to Seward) is twice the price that I would have expected (for a Silver Suite). This is similiar, if not the same as the recent itinerary where there were only 93 or 94 passengers on the ship. At the moment we are waiting to see if the prices come down as there is no way we would pay over $30K for this cruise and Bus. Class Air.

TC2,

Why not try one of the verandah suites? On the Whisper and Shadow they are very nice and cost far less.

+1.

Personally, I'd even opt for a Vista Suite, considering how chilly that cruise will be. And, the savings is literally half what the Silver Suite costs. With free air, $1K OBSC, and L'Ecole des Chefs onboard, seems like a great voyage to me!

I would pick either suites mentioned. . . . however, my DH wants larger suites. The only argument we have had while on vacation was on a Regent Mariner cruise. He had not been forewarned that the suites were smaller than the ones on their other ships. We actually didn't speak or see each other for a day (and the ship isn't that big:-). Since then we book suites that are at least 400 sq. ft. Rather do that then argue:-)

P.S. He felt that the Whisper Silver Suite was the most comfortable suite he has ever been in. Very impressed with the ship as well.

I would pick either suites mentioned. . . . however, my DH wants larger suites.
Understood. You'll defintely need to be in at least a Medallion or Silver Suite to get the size you are looking for.

And, good for you! I can only dream of being in a Silver Suite. Someday... someday. :rolleyes:

He had not been forewarned that the suites were smaller than the ones on their other ships. We actually didn't speak or see each other for a day (and the ship isn't that big:-). Since then we book suites that are at least 400 sq. ft. Rather do that then argue:-).
You must be lucky, he must be a championship cat .. meow!

Archived