Is Silversea having problems filling the ships this summer?

CruisinGerman

Dear friends:

Just got the July specials offered here in Europe (don't know if they're the same ones offered in the United States).

After doing a comparison, it's practically cheaper to go on the Silver Spirit for an 8 night cruise this July than it is to go on the NCL Epic for 7 nights.

Why such drastic bargains for high season in Europe?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunther and Uta, in general the Luxury cruise lines are more challenged this year because of all of the capacity that has been added in such a short time frame. If you take the capacity from the two new Seabourn Ships plus the one that has just been launched it has taken them from 600 passengers to 1950 passengers. At the same time the new Silversea Spirit has increased capacity from 1350 to 1890. Combined that is a lot of capacity to fill. All of this growth was planned at a time when the economy was strong but has been implemented at a time when the opposite is true. At the same time while not luxury lines you have other lines such a Oceania that is trying to compete for similar type passengers having added a new ship themselves. All of this combined with the other luxury cruise lines have made for some great deals.

While there have been pressures on Mass Market and Premium lines, the Luxury lines seem to be having a tougher time this year. Again I think that adding so much capacity in such a short time is a problem.

Also, from what I read on the boards, with the cost of flights skyrocketing this has certainly not helped the luxury market along in the case of those coming from the USA the weakness of the dollar.

Yes it is a good time for those who want to try out the luxury cruise lines.

Keith

Thanks Gunther and Keith, here in the US, we just rcvd the venetian value offers below. If you're a Venetian member (Silversea frequent floater) and are interested, just call Silversea and ask for the July Venetian Value voyages.

15 Jul 2011 5119 8 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Piraeus (Athens) Silver Spirit $2,495

20 Jul 2011 1120 10 Southampton to CopenhagenSilver Cloud $2,895

23 Jul 2011 5120 7 Piraeus (Athens) to Istanbul Silver Spirit $2,495

Thanks Gunther and Keith, here in the US, we just rcvd the venetian value offers below. If you're a Venetian member (Silversea frequent floater) and are interested, just call Silversea and ask for the July Venetian Value voyages.

15 Jul 2011 5119 8 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Piraeus (Athens) Silver Spirit $2,495

We received the same offers this morning, quoted in sterling

Cruise 5119........£1620

Cruise 1120........£1920

Cruise 5120........£1595

This is the first time that we have received a Venetian Value voyage e-mail.

Dear friends:

Just got the July specials offered here in Europe (don't know if they're the same ones offered in the United States).

After doing a comparison, it's practically cheaper to go on the Silver Spirit for an 8 night cruise this July than it is to go on the NCL Epic for 7 nights.

Why such drastic bargains for high season in Europe?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

We are "frequent floaters" with Holland America and the offers for Med cruises have been coming hot and heavy the past few weeks so even the mainstream, large lines are feeling the pinch. We're determined to get our first Silversea experience next year so we haven't paid a lot of attention to the Holland America offers but did notice that some of them were significant discounts. Of course the downside is the cost of air fare from the US and if you fly first/business class tickets for two can easily exceed the recently discounted cruise fare. Adding the still general slow economy here in the US and the unrest in the Med area doesn't help matters.

My offer in euros was 1695 euros for the July 15 8-night cruise.

It's actually more expensive to go on NCL that week and for one night less -- that's what surprised me the most, considering the nearly all-inclusive nature of Silversea.

It's very tempting .......

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunther and Uta, in general the Luxury cruise lines are more challenged this year because of all of the capacity that has been added in such a short time frame. If you take the capacity from the two new Seabourn Ships plus the one that has just been launched it has taken them from 600 passengers to 1950 passengers. At the same time the new Silversea Spirit has increased capacity from 1350 to 1890. Combined that is a lot of capacity to fill. All of this growth was planned at a time when the economy was strong but has been implemented at a time when the opposite is true. At the same time while not luxury lines you have other lines such a Oceania that is trying to compete for similar type passengers having added a new ship themselves. All of this combined with the other luxury cruise lines have made for some great deals.

While there have been pressures on Mass Market and Premium lines, the Luxury lines seem to be having a tougher time this year. Again I think that adding so much capacity in such a short time is a problem.

Also, from what I read on the boards, with the cost of flights skyrocketing this has certainly not helped the luxury market along in the case of those coming from the USA the weakness of the dollar.

Yes it is a good time for those who want to try out the luxury cruise lines.

Keith

I agree with Keith: excess capacity, weak dollar, high airfare, PLUS the sovereign debt crisis in many European countries (Spain, Portugal, Greece, etc.), riots in Greece, weak economies and terrorism threats all have combined to make it more difficult for the ships to fill cabins.

Cruise 5119........£1620

Cruise 1120........£1920

Cruise 5120........£1595

I got the US version today, too - first e mail of this type for us after about 10 years of requests for them as part of the Venetian Society.

I like the new Venetian Society head already!

Gunther and Uta, in general the Luxury cruise lines are more challenged this year because of all of the capacity that has been added in such a short time frame.
Agreed. That has been what we have been saying all along!

Cruise 5119........£1620

Cruise 1120........£1920

Cruise 5120........£1595

Unlike some other lines (e.g. Oceania), which sell voyages at different prices in different (customer) geographic markets, Silversea generally sell at close to the same price (given the exchange rates at the time). So for customers in certain markets (e.g Australia), they are better off with Silversea (which has a corporate office there). Different cruise lines put different emphasis in different (customer) geographic markets, it just so happens that Silversea is less "geographic market" sensitive.

If you call the Monaco or FLL offices, maybe it's just because I live in Europe, and maybe local restrictions might not permit this in the United States, but you can go through on the phone with the agent all the different currencies Silversea is set up to bill its cruises in.

I always compare at least dollars, euros and pounds. It used to be years ago that the dollars were less costly, now for us the euros are usually less costly and since that's my home currency that works out better. On other occasions, I have booked in dollars and pounds with Silversea, no problem.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

This Luxury segment has expanded fast and hard.... Silversea's on land customer service has led me to try other lines. I think many people have also left Silversea because of this. There is a terrible disconnect between how people are treated at sea and then on land with SS. Not to mention the terrible stage shows....ugh! put that money back into the food and drink!

Regardless, Crystal will enter the all inclusive fray shortly with two ships sporting Nobu Sushi bars! As a younger person, coupled with all inclusive, it separates Crystal from the rest, except for their small rooms....but alas...you cannot have everything! Even Celebrity cruises on their new ships offers gorgeous suites...private dining rooms for 150 people and the ability to purchase an all you can drink beverage package creating a small ship within a big ship environment. No signing anymore! Even MSC is getting on this bandwagon with club rooms and Princess is soon to follow. People are willing to pay more if they get more...even on the big ships.

This industry is ripe for consolidation....SS offers these $1000 credits as did Regent before them....it increases onboard spending and looks good to investors...I have said this before....charge the people upfront and then give it back to them onboard...Regent did this prior to being purchased by Apollo.

The next year will be very interesting as the cruise industry has many people who "jump ship" (Love that) from line to line...so lets see what deals come out of the fray! If the European market starts to tank with the Euro.....Silversea and Seabourn will have troubles....Regent not so much as they are 90% American clientele. Or vice versa if the dollar begins to tank. These times are changing fast. It will be interesting to see what 2012 brings.

I wish everyone happy healthy sailing!

... and maybe local restrictions might not permit this in the United States ...
From what we know, "local restrictions", if any, are by the respective cruise lines, not by the U.S. government.

Regardless, Crystal will enter the all inclusive fray shortly with two ships sporting Nobu Sushi bars! As a younger person, coupled with all inclusive, it separates Crystal from the rest, except for their small rooms....
Crystal also has regimentation in assigned time and seat for dinners. Their ships are several times larger with lots of people around!

I am STILL not getting the VS/VV mailings!!!! Here goes another e-mail to Mark.

Hi S guess what we are the same,no email and we are on cruise 1120 having paid £3373 (now £1920) Who is Mark and do you have an email address so Ican put him in the picture.Happy cruising.

Hi S guess what we are the same,no email and we are on cruise 1120 having paid £3373 (now £1920) Who is Mark and do you have an email address so Ican put him in the picture.Happy cruising.

Am I correct in assuming the the new fares are without shipboard credit and without air? Since I am another one who does not get the emails (although I called 2 weeks ago and made sure I was signed up for the Venetian society promotions...) I have to ask!

Meow, Am I correct in assuming that you have never sailed Crystal? While previously it has indeed had assigned seating, you need to realize that there is a section where now you can reserve at diferent times each night. It will become all inclusive [alcohol] next spring.The two additional high end restaurants have people in motion most evenings and it is very, very easy to join others at your or their tables due to vacancies or even make a new table for one night. I realize that this is not as flexible as the open dining on other luxury lines.

Crystal has one of the highest space ratios. There is absolutely no crowding, no lines and no feeling of being on a mammoth ship with lots of people around! I have sailed Regent & SS and the 'people feel' is quite similar.

I am sorry for all of us that so many negative world & economic factors are effecting us as well as many others in the world. My hope is that all lines can weather these rough seas and remain solvent and available.

effecting us as well as many others in the world. My hope is that all lines can weather these rough seas and remain solvent and available.

Me too Paula. We need to do everything we can to continue sailing and supporting our favorite lines so they continue to be there for us.

Meow, Am I correct in assuming that you have never sailed Crystal? While previously it has indeed had assigned seating, you need to realize that there is a section where now you can reserve at diferent times each night..
You are right. We based our comment from what we had previously read on this board. So now you are saying that the Crystal restaurants (other than the main assigned one) need to be reserved like La Terrazza on Silversea?

Meow, I am saying a few things..and not as an arguement but for information.

-Crystal still has assigned seating. However it also offers a section of the diningroom where you can reserve your table for each evening at any time you wish. [breakfast & lunch are open seating.] There are no lines or waiting times involved.

-In addition Crystal has two specialty restaurants, Prego [italian] and [Nobu's] Silk Road. Both of these are by reservation. You can make one reservation at time of payment and additional resv. while on board. Silk Road also has a first come, first served sushi bar if you need a sushi fix.

-Many nights there is additional on deck informal grill style dining [a bit like La Verandah at night except uner the stars.]

-Because pax are dining in cabin or in these alternate venues, there are vacant tables and vacancies at tables. This leads to flexibility in inviting new friends to join you for dinner and vice versa.

You might enjoy looking at the web site.

It will be very interesting to see what happens when Crystal adds inclusive bar and gratuities in spring, 2012. I do feel that it will make them more competitive although for myself, I am perfectly happy w. onboard credits [as I was with Regent]. I do hope that they are able to maintain their excellent on board entertainment, lectures,etc. and I do hope that they never include tours!

Archived