capnpugwash is going to New York to celebrate Thanksgiving

capnpugwash

Cap'n,

I noticed that you mentioned you had a dining table for 8. What is your recommendation for that. I think my father and I are similar to you, in that we enjoy a lively group of interesting people. The Cunard rep I spoke with when booking suggested we choose a table for 6. But I'm wondering if a table for 8 might not be more fun a bit livelier?

Also, is there any rhyme or reason for where the larger tables are placed? I'd love a table that is more centrally located than way off in a corner. Do people ever request centrally located tables, or is it just luck of the draw? I'm considering requesting a change to the table for 8. Any thoughts?

Your table mates will influence how successful the table is, I always reques an 8 seater and I would recommend that you do also.

Update No 3

It is now 10.30am and I am just back from the spa which resembled a railway terminus with people milling about, not exactly a relaxing place but it was ok really, I can think of worse places to spend a couple of hours. Walking back along deck 7 was quite blustery but also quite a pleasant dose of fresh air to blow any cobwebs away. The wind has strengthened to a force 6 south-westerly and the barometer is steady, the sea remains moderate; the temperature is 59/15 degrees. The sky is quite cloudy and there is a light sea mist obscuring the horizon, it is not enough to warrant the use of the foghorn. The sun seems to be desperate to break through as there is a very light blue hue to the clouds as though they will burn off very soon, I don’t know if they will but it has to be a possibility. I am going to Sir Samuels for a nice cup of coffee and then going to sit by a window to view the sea passing as I listen to an hour or so of an audio book.

About 30 minutes ago the Commodore made the noon announcement after testing the numerous ship’s whistles at precisely noon, they sounded marvellous especially the two from the original Queen Mary. He gave us our position which is about 130 miles west of Bishop Rock on the Scillies, our speed is only 17 knots and the wind is now a force 3 to 4 with moderate seas. The wind strength is forecast to increase to a force 7 later today and within the hour we should have departed the shallow waters of the continental shelf and entered the deep part of the Atlantic Ocean.

The view from the Commodore Club was very nice with the gannets circling outside the windows and diving into the water for fish after watching them for an hour or so I took the scenic lift down to deck 7, when the doors opened there was a couple standing in the car who were just riding up and down to enjoy the view. Once we got down to deck 7 I took a walk along the outside and fortuitously the sun peeked out from behind the clouds and it felt very pleasant indeed, not really warm enough to sit out for any length of time but very pleasant for strolling along. I popped into the buffet area and there were several plates laden with slices of smoked salmon, I couldn’t resist so having got the makings for a sandwich and noting the usual absence of seats I took it back to my cabin to eat it in a degree of comfort.

This afternoon at 2.30 is the CC get together up in the Commodore Club and I have just returned from it, there were only 4 of us there, missfrankiecat, garigoun, threequeensgirl and myself. Nonetheless we chatted for a long time and pretty soon it was 4.10pm so we wrapped it up and went our separate ways. I don’t know where the others were and it was a shame that they didn’t make it but life goes on.

Tonight is the welcome aboard cocktail party in the Queen’s Room, and given the number of passengers on board I think that there will be close on 1000 in each of the two parties. That sounds quite unpleasant to me so I will cut the numbers and spend my time in the Chart Room as usual. It is the first formal night and the Black and White Ball will be held from 9.45pm until midnight.

More later.

Cap'n,

I noticed that you mentioned you had a dining table for 8. What is your recommendation for that. I think my father and I are similar to you, in that we enjoy a lively group of interesting people. The Cunard rep I spoke with when booking suggested we choose a table for 6. But I'm wondering if a table for 8 might not be more fun a bit livelier?

Also, is there any rhyme or reason for where the larger tables are placed? I'd love a table that is more centrally located than way off in a corner. Do people ever request centrally located tables, or is it just luck of the draw? I'm considering requesting a change to the table for 8. Any thoughts?

-------------------

I also usually ask for a table of 8. As such, have been at tables for anywhere from 4 (too few for sure) on up to 9. Some of my "favorite" tables have been tables of 6. Luck of the draw, to some extent. Much more about the people at the table than the table location itself. Only once was at a table that was so poorly located for all of my (new) tablemates that we changed to another (with group intact, by choice!).

If you find yourself unable to get a table of 8, you may find that the table of 6 is just the people you were hoping to meet! If not, speak with the Maitre D and ask for a change. Sometimes it is easier for him to make a change than for shoreside at this point.

But the Britannia room is stunning, with many excellent table locations. There are about 1,000 people at each sitting (+/-) in that space (between the two floors) to try to keep as happy as possible. ;)

Update No 4

I discovered that I was actually on the table of the Deputy Captain, Robert Camby who is a very nice young man who seems destined for greatness; he is in his thirties and has already achieved his rank so I imagine that the future holds great prizes for him. We had a very nice meal and he chose some good wines although he does not drink at all on board which is a very disciplined habit and quite admirable.

I had beef tonight and it was delicious and so tender that the knife almost dropped through it without any effort on my part. After dinner I went to the Commodore Club for a couple of digestifs with missfrankicat and am now back in my cabin for a relatively early night.

As I walked along the deck I was almost blown over by the 25 knot southerly wind which equates to a force 6. The weather shows a falling barometer, overcast sky and a temperature of 60/15 degrees. Our speed is 21 knots.

More later.

Update No 2

I did miss my usual Eggs Benedict but nonetheless

Did not your mother teach you the adage "Too much of a good thing etc etc etc"! :D

Sorry, Jim, but l am simply hugely jealous & would really love to be on QM2 right now, as oppossed to enjoying it second hand (albeit that you, once again, are capturing the whole experience to make us smile).

PLEASE keep the log going - it regulates my day now - a quick peek at what's happening while l down my yoghurt & coffee at breakfast with a more leisurely read after work.

Enjoy & l hope we bump into one another on the 6 July EB.

A

Cap'n, Enjoy your crossing to New York.Do you ever consider moving aboard the QM2? :D Remember Mrs. Bea Muller who lived aboard QE2 from about the year 2000 til the QE2 was taken out of service in 2008.Anyway I did see Mrs. Muller aboard the QM2 last October. Regards,Jerry

Deputy Captain, Robert Camby was on our cruise last year with Captain Bates. Both were very nice officers. I enjoyed Captain Bates daily messages, always with a little something from his friend Patrick O’Shaughnessy.

Janice

A number of years ago we were touring Scotland in early July and it occurred to me that the Scots were a bit enthusiastic in their recognition of Independence Day...

Harbouring aspirations of their own?

Partial Quote

Sorry, Jim, but l am simply hugely jealous & would really love to be on QM2 right now, as oppossed to enjoying it second hand (albeit that you, once again, are capturing the whole experience to make us smile).

PLEASE keep the log going - it regulates my day now - a quick peek at what's happening while l down my yoghurt & coffee at breakfast with a more leisurely read after work.

Enjoy & l hope we bump into one another on the 6 July EB.

A

Same here Capn...Regulates my day too. I love to check in after work to see what sort of adventure you have had that day and of course to visualize the lovely North Atlantic.:D

@ A: Should be easy to meet up with Jim...since you know most of his haunts now.;)

Denise

Update No 5

It is now approaching 6.30am on Sunday June 26 2011 and we gained our second hour early this morning, the wind direction has shifted by over 90 degrees and is coming at the same strength but from the northwest, the rest of the weather and speed remain unchanged.

The sun was actually out but there is a 30 mph wind blowing which needs adding to the ship's speed so it feels like 50 mph. it is fun to walk in but that is about all and forget about sitting out on deck. I went to Britannia for breakfast of porridge, Eggs Benedict and a few cups of coffee so I am now ready to face the rigours of the day; however looking through today’s programme is quite uninspiring and the only item that presses any of my buttons is the interdenominational church service at 11am which will be held by the Commodore. I hope that they sing “For those in peril on the sea,” which gives me a big lump in my throat whenever I hear it, just like when I see the Statue of Liberty, it gets me every time. There were about 300 of us in the theatre for the service, we had 4 hymns, 2 readings and a few prayers but sadly my favourite hymn didn’t feature, I only knew 2 of the hymns that were part of the service and the others both had a minimum of 6 verses and seemed to drag on almost interminably.

After a large dose of God I went up to the spa once I was in the pool it really demonstrated that the ship had a slight corkscrew motion because being in the water was very reminiscent of a top loading washing machine, truthfully it was a quite nice sensation. I stayed in the spa until about 2.30; I picked up some fresh fruit from the buffet for a healthy lunch and am contemplating a relaxing afternoon with a good book. We have the second formal night this evening and the clocks will remain unchanged overnight.

More later.

Capn, on your crossings do you have a preference for north or south side? If you have the same cabin booked in each direction of your B2B maybe it all evens out.

I noticed that the Starboard (south) side cabins seem to be all sold out in my category for my EB crossing in October. I assume this to be because there's more chance for sunlight in the stateroom.

Here we are again, I woke this morning at around 6am and the sun was shining brightly, I showered and packed my remaining clothes, which truth be told was most of them, had breakfast with the family and then proceeded to wait until 10.30 when I thought that I would drive down to the port to begin another big adventure. I got to Southampton by 12 noon and dropped my car off with a lady from C&PS who I have got to know fairly well, I am sure that passing passengers thought it odd that we had a little hug and a kiss but what else can you do when she is so very nice. That accomplished I went into the embarkation reception and was quickly through the process and managed to successfully negotiate the photographers lurking by the departure area, I had a two minute wait and then wended my way back and forward several times through the Disneyesque queuing system and got past security and was on board by 12.20. I had to go to the Purser’s Desk to pick up a computer mouse that I had left on board after the last trip. There were no passengers at all there and it was delightfully peaceful and having done that I went to the pub where I bumped into a bar supervisor named Sheldon who I have known for a few years, having caught up on the news I went to King’s Court for lunch and had a couple of rolls and two cups of Cunard coffee, it was lovely. That done, I made my way to my cabin on deck 6. It is situated between B and C stairways and fortunately the largest of my cases awaited me outside the door. I have unpacked that and am contemplating opening my bottle of Pol Acker because normally as soon as I open it, the rest of the bags arrive. Let’s see if it works today! It didn’t but as soon as the cork popped there was a knock on the door and Ricardo, my steward came to introduce himself so it almost worked. I must say that I was really shocked when the knock came at that very moment and I thought that it was very spooky indeed.

At about 2.40 the other 2 small cases arrived so ten minutes later I was fully ensconced in the lap of luxury. The Pol Acker is slipping down remarkably well and whilst it is not my wine of choice it does serve a purpose whilst unpacking is completed.

The passenger drill went off without a hitch and I ventured to the spa for an hour afterwards, no-one else was there so I could do whatever took my fancy. We cast off at 4.30pm and after the spa I ventured onto deck 7 but it was overcast and quite cool as and entered Southampton Water from the River Test so I returned to my cabin to relax before the rigours of an evening of massive pampering.

Tonight, as usual, is elegant casual dress code for dinner so there is no real effort required in preparation, I am as clean and polished as possible and I just need to throw a shirt, trouser and jacket on and I am done.

The weather is currently 57/14 degrees and the barometer is rising.

More later

NYC has the very best 4th of July fireworks display......Enjoy!!

QM2 question??? Is the ship charging to dine in Chef's Galley: LaPiazza; Lotus; The Carvery? We were surprised when Cunard paper work indicated that a fee would be charged for these dining venues beginning Dec. 1, 2010. When onboard in Dec. 2010, we learned a fee had not been instituted. The prevoyage packet for our July 1, 2011 cruise notes a $10 per person fee for these dining venues. What has been your current experience with these fees? With you sailing so frequently, I thought you were the perfect person to ask. Thanks for your assistance and reply.

NYC has the very best 4th of July fireworks display......Enjoy!!

QM2 question??? Is the ship charging to dine in Chef's Galley: LaPiazza; Lotus; The Carvery? We were surprised when Cunard paper work indicated that a fee would be charged for these dining venues beginning Dec. 1, 2010. When onboard in Dec. 2010, we learned a fee had not been instituted. The prevoyage packet for our July 1, 2011 cruise notes a $10 per person fee for these dining venues. What has been your current experience with these fees? With you sailing so frequently, I thought you were the perfect person to ask. Thanks for your assistance and reply.

I have never found a reason to use the $10 surcharge restaurants but those that have always say how good they are

I have never found a reason to use the $10 surcharge restaurants but those that have always say how good they are

Thank you for your reply. I did use those restaurants when they were without charge. They were excellent and added variety. I don't however think they are special enough for a surcharge.

Capn, on your crossings do you have a preference for north or south side? If you have the same cabin booked in each direction of your B2B maybe it all evens out.

I noticed that the Starboard (south) side cabins seem to be all sold out in my category for my EB crossing in October. I assume this to be because there's more chance for sunlight in the stateroom.

I normally travel in an inside cabin but if I was on a balcony it would be port side.

Update No 6

We had a very nice dinner and everyone was in sparkling form, I went to the Commodore Club and having closed that bar, for some inexplicable reason I went to G32 which had 30 or so people dancing in spite of the fact that they were dancing to the DJ, he really tries very hard and tonight it worked. I had a couple of drinks there and before I knew it was 3am, I am too old to be up at 3am but occasionally I suppose that it does you no harm! It doesn’t help that there is no time change tonight but in reality, life goes on.

The weather is unchanged and the sea state is moderate.

Today in Monday June 27 2011, and somewhat unsurprisingly I slept well and didn’t actually wake until 8.15am, in order to avoid the lengthy queue which would have built up by then for the Britannia, I went up to the King’s Court and ate a healthy breakfast rather than the Eggs Benedict that I favour. I bumped into Julie Rynd and we sat for 20 minutes chatting over various matters. When we went our separate ways she was heading up to the kennels to see a Golden Retriever who is in residence there during this crossing. I had a walk on deck 7 in the bright sunshine. The sea is glasslike with only the smallest of swells and no sign of white horses, but the temperature is only 52/11 degrees so it is too cool to sit out. The barometer is rising and we still have a force 5 breeze from the northwest. We are currently making 22 knots but there is no real feeling of movement with the almost flat sea.

I have lunch at Todd English arranged for today and am going to be joined by a couple of lady members of CC so that should be good fun,

There are a couple of interesting lecturers on board; John Bridcot who works with the BBC as a film producer and Jeffrey Weinberg who as an analyst has worked in the White House, I have seen him before but a lot of what he has to say bears repetition.

More later.

Update No 6

The sea is glasslike with only the smallest of swells and no sign of white horses, but the temperature is only 52/11 degrees so it is too cool to sit out. The barometer is rising and we still have a force 5 breeze from the northwest. We are currently making 22 knots but there is no real feeling of movement with the almost flat sea.

Looks beautiful from the web cam, nice and sunny. I love that when you can see so far in the distance in every direction.

Looks beautiful from the web cam, nice and sunny. I love that when you can see so far in the distance in every direction.

I think the QM2 webcam has been "frozen" since June 6th.

I think the QM2 webcam has been "frozen" since June 6th.

Hi, laktex.

Have you done a page refresh in your browser to make sure you aren't seeing a stale webcam image from your browser's cache?

Here is what I am seeing:

qm2_bridge_webcam.jpg

Regards,

John.

Hi, laktex.

Have you done a page refresh in your browser to make sure you aren't seeing a stale webcam image from your browser's cache?

I had to refresh as well...it was definitely caching. If I refresh the image changes.

Update No 7

We had the noon announcement 45 minutes ago and the weather continues unchanged and the sun is out but it is very cool although there are people sitting out on deck, some of them well wrapped but other hardier souls are wearing shorts. It was too cold for me even though I was standing in the full sun. The forecast is for stronger winds later today and there is a good chance of fog as we approach the Grand Banks. Our speed is now 23 knots which feels quite good.

We had a table at 1pm and had a very nice meal, missfrankie cat was very kind and bought a bottle of White Burgundy which we managed to consume and the whole occasion was extremely pleasant. I had the flatbread which was as nice as always, roast salmon which was excellent and then a dessert called Black Bottomed Tart, this was nicer than their signature Fallen Chocolate Cake. I am going to head to the spa as soon as I have digested the meal. It was not too large so I am not too full.

I got to the spa just before 3pm and at 5.50 have just got back to my cabin. I thought that I had another German sausage incident today but it was a man in his 60s wearing the briefest of yellow thongs which did not truly preserve his modesty, his skin was a sort of yellow so the thong/hammock blended in a little too well. It would have made good camouflage. I walked back along the deck and it was decidedly cool even though the air temperature is 60/15 degrees with a rising barometer. Our speed has reduced to 21 knots and we are over the halfway mark and only have 1582 nautical miles to go having completed 1607 from Southampton. The sea is slight and we have a force 4 southerly breeze.

Tonight, the dress code is semi formal so just a jacket and tie is required, plus trousers I suppose!

More later.

Hi Capn,

Here's one for you. I seem to recall that the staff is on board for several months at a time. Would they all change at once? I'm curious if you see the same say bar staff on each of your journeys or do some of them change each time. It was nice to get to know them in a single week, I'm sure it's nice to know them over several voyages.

Was it a chocolate crusted tart, or was the black bottom from black pudding/custard? Sounds good just hearing about it.

... a man in his 60s wearing the briefest of yellow thongs which did not truly preserve his modesty, his skin was a sort of yellow so the thong/hammock blended in a little too well.

-A-; uhhhg.

Archived