capnpugwash is going to New York to celebrate Thanksgiving

capnpugwash

Update No 7

I got to the spa just before 3pm and at 5.50 have just got back to my cabin. I thought that I had another German sausage incident today but it was a man in his 60s wearing the briefest of yellow thongs which did not truly preserve his modesty, his skin was a sort of yellow so the thong/hammock blended in a little too well. It would have made good camouflage. I walked back along the deck and it was decidedly cool even though the air temperature is 60/15 degrees with a rising barometer. Our speed has reduced to 21 knots and we are over the halfway mark and only have 1582 nautical miles to go having completed 1607 from Southampton. The sea is slight and we have a force 4 southerly breeze.

Tonight, the dress code is semi formal so just a jacket and tie is required, plus trousers I suppose!

More later.

Your "spa experiences make me giggle!:D I had an experience once in A hotel Spa in Tokyo. I got into the pool in my modest swimsuit and i suddenly realised i was overdressed! The others were in their birthday suits:eek: I think it was a ladies only pool but all the signs were in japenese. I didnt wait to find out:o.

Julie :)

Hi, laktex.

Have you done a page refresh in your browser to make sure you aren't seeing a stale webcam image from your browser's cache?

Here is what I am seeing:

qm2_bridge_webcam.jpg

Regards,

John.

Thank you - all is well now. Strange that QE webcam always came upto date but QM2 did not.

I assume this to be because there's more chance for sunlight in the stateroom./QUOTE]

Good and accurate assumption. When north of the Tropic of Cancer (the line of latitude which is approximately 23.5 degrees north of the Equator) the sun will always be to the south. Therefore, eastbound NY - Southampton will always have the sun on the starboard side.

Jon.

Hi Capn,

Here's one for you. I seem to recall that the staff is on board for several months at a time. Would they all change at once? I'm curious if you see the same say bar staff on each of your journeys or do some of them change each time. It was nice to get to know them in a single week, I'm sure it's nice to know them over several voyages.

Rob, they change regularly throughout the year, they are on for 6 months and then have approx 2 months leave. Ther are heavy crew change days but often two will go and two will replace them

Update No 8

We had a delightful dinner this evening, it was not hosted but it was still great fun, I have been given the job of organising a cocktail party on behalf of the wife of the past Captain of the Queen Mary, she wants to invite a few people along and I have managed to get access to the Queen’s Grill suite of another couple at our table. Now all I need to arrange is the drink, which I will hopefully do tomorrow morning, if QM2 can’t arrange a party with 9 hours notice then we are on the wrong ship.

After dinner Chris Difford was performing in the pub and it was packed, great music but nowhere to stand, let alone sit. The rumour that Bryan Ferry was on board has turned out to be false, sadly but there are some great vocalists with Mr Difford.

Giving up on the pub I went to the Commodore Club where I met a man who I have traded with for the last 30 years but have not seen for 15 years, we were both shocked to see each other and chatted for half an hour reliving the past. It is a truly small world.

After a couple of drinks I popped down to G32 which was quite busy but without too many people dancing, Shaun the DJ came to the bar and was really frustrated as whichever genre of music he played no-one was getting on the floor. Ultimately he solved the problem by playing some Madonna music which I had never heard of, it just goes to show that age isn’t always an advantage.

It is 2am and we don’t gain an hour tonight so I am off to my bed to enable me to arrange this cocktail do first thing tomorrow morning.

More later.

We had a delightful dinner this evening, it was not hosted but it was still great fun, I have been given the job of organising a cocktail party on behalf of the wife of the past Captain of the Queen Mary, she wants to invite a few people along and I have managed to get access to the Queen’s Grill suite of another couple at our table.

Hi Cap'n

You've got me puzzled.

Aren't you in the Britannia? so how come there's another couple with a QG suite?

Enjoying your daily updates. friday week we're back on QV, so they help to get me back in the mood! (Not that it takes much.)

Regards

Stewart

Hi Cap'n

You've got me puzzled.

Aren't you in the Britannia? so how come there's another couple with a QG suite?

Enjoying your daily updates. friday week we're back on QV, so they help to get me back in the mood! (Not that it takes much.)

Regards

Stewart

Stewart, they had cabin and table problems and were upgraded on board and moved to a QG but opted to stay and eat with the poor and lonely in Britannia. I know that it sounds strange but that is what they told me.:confused:

They are a very nice couple and it is their 50th wedding anniversary celebration.

Me, too, capnpugwash, am puzzled over your remark that a couple at your table, which I assume is in the Britannia Restaurant on this voyage, are travelling in a Queen's Grill Suite that you plan to employ for the cocktail party later today on behalf of the widow of a former Captain.

I suppose that one is free to eat anywhere "below" one's station?

Lord Kay of Shandon.

Capnpugwash,

Whilst I was posting here in the early ungodly hour before the first whisper of dawn and as the train from New York to Miami is blowing its whistle in the fog, your response flashed up on the above posting after I had pushed "Submit Reply." Your answer is understood, but it is a little odd --- but good for those good folks!

Don.

Stewart, they had cabin and table problems and were upgraded on board and moved to a QG but opted to stay and eat with the poor and lonely in Britannia. I know that it sounds strange but that is what they told me.:confused:

They are a very nice couple and it is their 50th wedding anniversary celebration.

Could be an interesting moment when you arrive at their suite to start the party.

Makes no sense to dine in steerage when you have been given a proper suite.

Could be an interesting moment when you arrive at their suite to start the party.

It may be unusual but they are certainly not the first couple that I have met who prefer the dining experience in steerage whilst having the larger cabins of the grills.

Update No 9

Today is Tuesday June 28 and after my usual breakfast in Britannia I went along to the Assistant Hotel Manager’s office where I was able to sort out the arrangements for this evening’s party. I thought that they would be able to accommodate us and in true White Star tradition they came up trumps. That is my work completed for the day.

The sea is very calm even with the force 6 southerly breeze, the barometer is falling a little and the temperature is on 60/15 degrees. Our speed is only 18 knots and in truth it almost feels as though we are docked, I really miss the days of 27 knots where we would be plunging powerfully through a driving sea.

More later

Well, the Brittania Room is truly spectacular, that could be one reason. I think that if I was in the Grills I would want to dine in the Brittania restaurant at least once.

Well, the Brittania Room is truly spectacular, that could be one reason. I think that if I was in the Grills I would want to dine in the Brittania restaurant at least once.

Yes,you could be right.

but if you had a grills suite every time that you sailed, you might have a different opinion.

Capn

Hope all is well - am missing your usual number of updates? Is the high living becoming too much, and you now require more rest and earlier nights?

By the way is there any news of the two homing pigeons on 10th June crossing - did they get off in Southampton after two weeks on the ship?!

Hi Capn and others on board. Regarding the pier that QM2 will be using on 1July, my e-ticket specifies "pier of embarkation NY Cruise Terminal, Pier 92, 55th St, 12th Ave". If you hear otherwise, would you let us know please? Thank you.

Hope all is well and that you're having a good time. Cheers -S.

Hi Capn and others on board. Regarding the pier that QM2 will be using on 1July, my e-ticket specifies "pier of embarkation NY Cruise Terminal, Pier 92, 55th St, 12th Ave". If you hear otherwise, would you let us know please? Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise, Salacia. I did the same cruise last 4th of July. It was a pleasant getaway from the city/Hamptons routine! ;)

Enjoy your cruise, Salacia. I did the same cruise last 4th of July. It was a pleasant getaway from the city/Hamptons routine! ;)

Thanks Bobby, we're really looking forward to the rest. Himself wanted to head out to Montauk for the weekend, but then we decided we'd rather be on the ocean than near the ocean - plus no traffic to contend with! Hope you have a good weekend too!:)

Have a wonderful time and be sure to let us know how it is ...good and bad

Are they changing ports for this cruise because of the itinerary? My E-ticket for July 27th is showing the Brooklyn port...

Both piers are used by Cunard (at times). Since they share both piers with other ships/lines as well, it depends on whether other ships are already booked, etc.

Most of the time, but not always, the QM2 sails into/from Brooklyn/Red Hook. This year several trips are using the Manhattan Passengership Terminal. The July 1 trip (returning July 6) is out of Manhattan. This is the first time in five years or so of sailing on QM2 that I have sailed out of Manhattan.

You will need to check your documents regarding your specific trip, and if you wish you can call Cunard directly to confirm.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

Both piers are used by Cunard (at times). Since they share both piers with other ships/lines as well, it depends on whether other ships are already booked, etc.

Most of the time, but not always, the QM2 sails into/from Brooklyn/Red Hook. This year several trips are using the Manhattan Passengership Terminal. The July 1 trip (returning July 6) is out of Manhattan. This is the first time in five years or so of sailing on QM2 that I have sailed out of Manhattan.

You will need to check your documents regarding your specific trip, and if you wish you can call Cunard directly to confirm.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

Or just check this.

http://www.nycruise.com/documents/NewCruiseSchedule_2-15-2011.pdf

Are they changing ports for this cruise because of the itinerary? My E-ticket for July 27th is showing the Brooklyn port...

Normally the QM2 docks in Brooklyn, but for scheduling or operational reasons she occasionally uses the west side Manhattan piers. One, the Coast Guard isn't happy to have her in Manhattan because her tail extends beyond the pier and they need to maintain a security exclusion zone around her. Two, with the strong downstream current in the Hudson Cunard has to hire a tug boat to help her make that 90 degree starboard turn into the Manhattan pier. In Brooklyn she has room to turn 180 degrees on her own and back into the Redhook pier.

Archived