capnpugwash is going to New York to celebrate Thanksgiving

capnpugwash

Here we are again, I woke this morning at around 6am and the sun was shining brightly, I showered and packed my remaining clothes, which truth be told was most of them, had breakfast with the family and then proceeded to wait until 10.30 when I thought that I would drive down to the port to begin another big adventure. I got to Southampton by 12 noon and dropped my car off with a lady from C&PS who I have got to know fairly well, I am sure that passing passengers thought it odd that we had a little hug and a kiss but what else can you do when she is so very nice. That accomplished I went into the embarkation reception and was quickly through the process and managed to successfully negotiate the photographers lurking by the departure area, I had a two minute wait and then wended my way back and forward several times through the Disneyesque queuing system and got past security and was on board by 12.20. I had to go to the Purser’s Desk to pick up a computer mouse that I had left on board after the last trip. There were no passengers at all there and it was delightfully peaceful and having done that I went to the pub where I bumped into a bar supervisor named Sheldon who I have known for a few years, having caught up on the news I went to King’s Court for lunch and had a couple of rolls and two cups of Cunard coffee, it was lovely. That done, I made my way to my cabin on deck 6. It is situated between B and C stairways and fortunately the largest of my cases awaited me outside the door. I have unpacked that and am contemplating opening my bottle of Pol Acker because normally as soon as I open it, the rest of the bags arrive. Let’s see if it works today! It didn’t but as soon as the cork popped there was a knock on the door and Ricardo, my steward came to introduce himself so it almost worked. I must say that I was really shocked when the knock came at that very moment and I thought that it was very spooky indeed.

At about 2.40 the other 2 small cases arrived so ten minutes later I was fully ensconced in the lap of luxury. The Pol Acker is slipping down remarkably well and whilst it is not my wine of choice it does serve a purpose whilst unpacking is completed.

The passenger drill went off without a hitch and I ventured to the spa for an hour afterwards, no-one else was there so I could do whatever took my fancy. We cast off at 4.30pm and after the spa I ventured onto deck 7 but it was overcast and quite cool as and entered Southampton Water from the River Test so I returned to my cabin to relax before the rigours of an evening of massive pampering.

Tonight, as usual, is elegant casual dress code for dinner so there is no real effort required in preparation, I am as clean and polished as possible and I just need to throw a shirt, trouser and jacket on and I am done.

The weather is currently 57/14 degrees and the barometer is rising.

More later

Thanksgiving?

At first I thought it was November already. Had to look at the calendar. Going to see the fireworks on the 4th? I'm not sure what Manhattan/NYC does for a display these days, having not lived there for almost two decades.

I ... dropped my car off with a lady from C&PS who I have got to know fairly well, I am sure that passing passengers thought it odd that we had a little hug and a kiss but what else can you do when she is so very nice.

You old sea dog.

Bon Voyage Capn

Even though you do many crossings you always make each one sound exciting and unique. Anxious to hear about this one too.

Love that "Thanksgiving" reference. :D Give Sheldon and crew my regards.

Denise

Thanksgiving?

At first I thought it was November already. Had to look at the calendar. Going to see the fireworks on the 4th? I'm not sure what Manhattan/NYC does for a display these days, having not lived there for almost two decades.

You old sea dog.

Fireworks are on the Hudson (Westside) again this year. The East river folks are a bit upset. This is the 3rd year in a row for the Hudson I think.

Denise

Have a great trip, Jim. Care to share the "Thanksgiving" reference?? For the others posting -- QM2 makes a transatlantic starting today and then goes to Halifax and Boston. The ship will be in Boston for the fireworks on the 4th. Katherine

Have a great trip, Jim. Care to share the "Thanksgiving" reference?? ...

Hi, Lady Hudson.

Here is a link to one of several previous posts by the good Cap'n that sheds some light on the reference to "Thanksgiving".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24703654&postcount=23

Enjoy your voyage, Cap'n and have a great Thanksgiving!

Regards,

John.

Hi, Lady Hudson.

Here is a link to one of several previous posts by the good Cap'n that sheds some light on the reference to "Thanksgiving".

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24703654&postcount=23

Enjoy your voyage, Cap'n and have a great Thanksgiving!

Regards,

John.

I have always thought that regardless of whether we live on the east or west of the pond, we ought to celebrate July 4th. I understand that some celebrate this date as Independence Day, personally I always regard it as Thanksgiving!! :)

As in "We're thankful we got rid of them"?

Roy

Update No 1

I had a couple of G & Ts in the Chart Room prior to dinner and in the restaurant I found myself at a table for 8 and there were only 3 of us there, myself and two ladies. They are both utterly charming people and we had a great time, a little like 3 old gits putting the world to rights but great fun nonetheless, obviously kindred spirits. One of the ladies was married to Captain Munro who used to feature on the on board map of QM2 holding a sextant, this picture was taken back in the days of the original Queen Mary and Elizabeth. His wife Margaret has an absolute wealth of stories about crossing with the likes of Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and similar characters. We had the best of times at the table this evening and I sincerely hope that there is more to come.

I had an unattributable conversation with someone on board this evening regarding the low score achieved by the ship on the recent USPH inspection and I was told that they were naturally seriously concerned with all of the points raised by the USPH staff and they have addressed and sorted out all of the situations except those which require spare or replacement parts to fix the reported matters. They will be attended to just as soon as the ordered parts are delivered.

I popped down to G32 to gauge the mood of the ship and the band, Icon was playing to a fairly full dance floor. They finished at 12.30 and sadly the dancers disappeared, not to return despite the best efforts of the DJ.

There are 2600 passengers on board so the ship is almost full; Jerry Springer and his wife are two of the passengers although I have yet to encounter them, there are rumours that Bryan ferry may be on board with Chris Difford who is doing another Song writing class during the trip.

It is now 1.30am, which is really 12.30 and we are speeding along at 20 knots there is a little movement on the ship and the decks were closed earlier due to the wind, the temperature is 57/14 degrees and the barometer is rising. The wind is now only a force 3 headwind and the sea is slight.

More later.

Have an AMAZING crossing, Cap'n!! I'm particularly excited about watching your progress, as I will be at the pier to greet you (well, the ship, but I'd be thrilled to say hello if our paths cross in the terminal!!)... and I'll FINALLY be getting on the ship as a passenger that day!!

BON VOYAGE! once again Cap'n.

I was at the Ocean Terminal looking out for you, however after meeting our mutual friend to take her to lunch in Hythe, we left the terminal shortly before you arrived, so sorry to have missed you. I would have loved to have boarded once more and chatted again in the Commodore Club, as we did last month :) .

Anyway, she and I had the ferry ride to Hythe and back, so at least I got to go ON the water, however tiny the trip! Over lunch she mentioned how much she was looking forward to meeting you again later that day in the Chart Room, and to finding out who her five new tablemates are for her third week on board QM2.

I hope you have the very best of times and am only sorry that the lady in the terminal wouldn't let me board as well, something silly about me not having a ticket or passport :confused: .

Very best wishes,

Update No 2

Today is Saturday June 25 and overnight the sea has built a little and is now moderate with waves of 7 feet, we are making 21 knots and have sailed 279 nautical miles since yesterday leaving 2911 to go. The force 5 breeze is from the south west and the barometer is rising, the sky is partly cloudy and the temperature is 59/15 degrees.

I fully intended to have breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant but having woken at 5.30am I ran out of patience and went to the buffet, there weren’t many people there so it was fine, I did miss my usual Eggs Benedict but nonetheless I had a very nice meal of Weetabix followed by some Birchermuesli, far too healthy really. I even had decaf coffee but only because the regular machine had yet to warm up, it was ok but I think it has a few extra chemicals in it.

It is a grey old morning and it is difficult to get out onto the deck as the crew are pressure washing it, it feels much windier than the actual wind speed of 19 knots but it is necessary to add the speed through the water to arrive at the perceived wind, if that is the correct term.

The ship is gently rocking slightly which I think is due to the waves and small troughs coming from the port side, it isn’t enough to be uncomfortable, or rather it isn’t enough for me to be uncomfortable but I suppose there will be some on board who will suffer a little. There are apparently a little over 800 CWC members which means that the other 1800 passengers are experiencing this line and this ship for the very first time.

More later.

Update No 2

.......... it feels much windier than the actual wind speed of 19 knots but it is necessary to add the speed through the water to arrive at the perceived wind, if that is the correct term.

True wind and apparent wind if you want to sound like a yachtsman .. although you have just missed the "Round the Island race" but with something like 2000 boats it was probably a good thing QM2 didn't have to thread its way through that lot! :)

Cap'n,

I noticed that you mentioned you had a dining table for 8. What is your recommendation for that. I think my father and I are similar to you, in that we enjoy a lively group of interesting people. The Cunard rep I spoke with when booking suggested we choose a table for 6. But I'm wondering if a table for 8 might not be more fun a bit livelier?

Also, is there any rhyme or reason for where the larger tables are placed? I'd love a table that is more centrally located than way off in a corner. Do people ever request centrally located tables, or is it just luck of the draw? I'm considering requesting a change to the table for 8. Any thoughts?

Capnpugwash: Those of us who are boarding 1 July are told we will board in Manhattan. If there is a change to this, i.e. Brooklyn, would you be so kind as to post it on this thread? Thank you very much.

Jon.

True wind and apparent wind if you want to sound like a yachtsman .. although you have just missed the "Round the Island race" but with something like 2000 boats it was probably a good thing QM2 didn't have to thread its way through that lot/QUOTE]

Yes, true wind and apparent wind. An aircraft carrier turns "into the wind" to launch and recover aircraft. Needs approx 31 kts (apparent) across the deck. If the true wind is 15 kts, the carrier will make approx 15 kts. If there is no (true) wind at all, i.e. dead calm, a carrier must make its own wind. She'll do 31 kts.

I was never on a yacht but I had to know all that stuff. That and a lot of nautical rot like "avast" and "belay." Loved it.

Jon.

Archived