A slightly different Passport question

sugaangel601

You will get the expired passport back, and it will have microscopic holes punched into it making it invalid for travel. It also may be stamped with the word EXPIRED. I'll know better when my husband's passport expires in April of next year.

Hope this helps!

They are not microscopic, they are regular sized hole punch holes. But, they only punch holes in the cover, so your stamps will remain intact.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13342877/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/when-your-valid-passport-isnt-really-valid/

It is an old link but at least msnbc.com has a little reliability. I cant seem to find any more info about additions or deletions to the list of countries that require the expiration limitation.

Yes, but that article talks about ENTRY requirements to foreign countries, not exit requirements from them.

Basically, the foreign countries don't want to deal with passport expiration issues if something happens to extend your stay beyond the expiration date on your passport... if your US passport is expired, the US won't let you back in.

Yes, but that article talks about ENTRY requirements to foreign countries, not exit requirements from them.

Basically, the foreign countries don't want to deal with passport expiration issues if something happens to extend your stay beyond the expiration date on your passport... if your US passport is expired, the US won't let you back in.

No, they'll let you back in. You'll just have to wait in detention while they verify your passport renewal, check your citizenship, etc etc etc. Doesn't sound like a very swell way to end my vacation.

Fine go by what is written, but please don't just make stuff up. Earlier in this thread you said

THAT is not written anywhere in the government passport regulations. Nor will you find an example of that ever written on these boards. It's just not true for returning home. There are multiple examples of the opposite situation posted, however. The State warning is for leaving the US,not returning to it.

What do you think I am stupid and just post to be posting. Just because the US says it is OK for them DOES NOT mean anything in other countries.

Do you read every thread on CC??? Obviously not. A simple Google search will show archived threads on NCL and HAL.

Like I said earlier ...Perhaps you should try first hand go miss your ship at a port with passport being less than 6 months expiration and report back what happens.

The example I gave is a generalized one and it is purely an example of what could happen. Why do you think cruise lines recommend that passports have at least 6 months or more before expiration. Do you think they are just saying it to be saying it. NO, they are saying it because they know that if something happens and the pax misses, gets put off or has a medical emergency that the pax will have problems in certain countries trying to fly out quickly.

Your new passport will have a new issue date (August) and a new expiration date. Just renewed DDs passport. Hers also expires in February.

I renewed DD's passport on June 13. It was issued on June 24 and we just recieved it today. Her new expiration date is June 23. Yes she lost some months but now she doesn't have to worry about it for another 9 years.

B&C

Show me one written rule from any other country in the world that requires a US citizen to have any sort of extra time left on their passport to leave their country and return to the US.

When DD-the-Older went on a school trip to the Galapagos one student was turned away at the airport because of her passport expiration date was less than 6 months after the reurn date of the trip.

She had to get a new passport issued and then catchup with the trip.

She missed the first three days.

I am citing Ecuador because of personal experience.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1106.html

ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS FOR U.S. CITIZENS: If you are a U.S. traveler wishing to enter Ecuador, you must present a U.S. passport with at least six months remaining validity. Ecuadorian customs officials also require evidence of return or onward travel, such as an airline ticket. If you are traveling on a regular passport for tourism or business, you will not need a visa for a stay of 90 days or fewer per 12-month period. There are no provisions for a tourist to remain longer than 90 days per 12-month period in Ecuador. If you are planning a visit longer than 90 days, you must obtain a visa in advance of your arrival. More detailed information and requirements for visas in Ecuador can be found at the website of Ecuador's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Visit the Embassy of Ecuador’s website for the most current visa information, or for further information regarding entry, exit or customs requirements.

Empasis mine

Sadie,

Your example is going the wrong direction. It was for someone who was not allowed to board a plane in the US. That rule is for someone Leaving the US and getting on a plane to Enter the foreign country. I absolutely agree that the 6 month rule exists in that direction and is sometimes enforced by airlines to an extent beyond what the actual destination country requires.

However, B and C Blake claimed earlier in this thread that a passenger on a cruise ship, if left in a port, would need a passport with at least 6 months left on it to FLY HOME TO THE US. I happen to know that is not true. The US accepts a US citizen up to and including the date of expiration. The foreign country does not hold you and not let you leave. They WANT you to leave (it's why they have the friggin' 6 month entry rule in the first place). B and C Blake claimed not only is this exit rule a requirement of many countries, but that you would be wasting your money to buy a plane ticket home because you would not be allowed to fly from country ABC to the USA without at least 6 months left on your passport.

B&C

Show me one written rule from any other country in the world that requires a US citizen to have any sort of extra time left on their passport to leave their country and return to the US.

I will not do your research to entertain you.

THIS IS COPIED AND PASTED FROM US STATE DEPT SITE .. I guess they are lying and know not what they are talking about.

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

If you passport has already expired, you may still be able to renew your passport by mail. See How to Renew Your U.S. Passport.

Why would the likes of you want me to continually try to prove to what has been stated and verified by US STATE Dept. Like I said YOU GO TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Some people just always have to be right regardless of what is LAWS they obviously know nothing about. Because they are right and the Governments are wrong. Perhaps you should go look for information to discredit what the US State Dept States. Now there is an idea:eek:

OK... you are in Belize for example ... Flights are not frquent but you do not have the money to fly out and need to have it wired. You are stranded for say 26 hrs. You are now there past the 24 hrs allowable. YES you are now stuck longer because YOU CAN NOT EXIT without a PP with more the 6 mths before expiration. Now you will be stuck until US Consulate can get you a renewal. However long that will be.

Ask yourself .. do you really want to be in that position

It is not research for me, it is research to support your contention. Go ahead, still waiting for that 'easily Googled example' of just such an exit rule.

P.S. Shouting and using really big fonts does not change the content of what you have now posted three times to 'support' your first claim. The State Dept page you post and re-post says nothing about what the US requires to return nor does it say anything about what a specific country has as an exit requirement.

You asked "Show me one written rule from any other country in the world that requires a US citizen to have any sort of extra time left on their passport to leave their country and return to the US." emphasis mine

Ecuador requires your ticket to be valid 6 months after your return ticket date. If I couldn't get into the Ecuador then there is no way I could get out of Ecuador.

Mexico is different. No requirement on the State Dept website about 6months validity.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

But you need to do what is right for your family. When and if they change the rules at a moments notice we will be prepared. Happened to people flying after 9/11. Schoolkids had no ID to return home. Big mess. Don't want to hear any bellyaching from the 'no passsport' crowd then.

By having a valid passport I was able to go get DD home from Europe when she contracted Mono. If my passport was close to expiring I wouldn't have been able to jump on a plane in 12 hours.

While we are waiting for any research to show up, perhaps we can all be enlightened by this story recently related on a similar passport thread:

Originally Posted by sail7seas

I believe a U.S. citizen can use their U.S. passport to fly home from a foreign country up until the expiration date of the passport. A holder of a foreign passport might have to have six months validity remaining.

If the U.S. passport holder entered a country with six months remaining on their passport and stayed until two days prior to its expiration, I think they could fly back to the U.S.

Been there, done that ! ! !

While living in Spain, I was due to travel home on the day before my passport expired.

Thus, I did not bother to renew it at the consulate, which takes 2 - 3 months. Well there were significant delays on the flight; then when we arrived in MIA hours late, we were held on the plane for a long time due to too many flights being processed through BCI, and we had missed our time slot.

Long story short: it was 11:55 PM when I finally hit the passport check station.

The agent actually looked at his watch, smiled, and handed me back the passport.

WHEW ! Five minutes to spare.

I do NOT advise this scenario for anyone

Also: many countries strongly suggest that you have 6 months validity left on your passport for entry into their countries.

Some even technically require it.

I have found that this is rarely even looked at.

However, since you are filling in the forms on line, the software is probably programmed to enforce this, so there is no getting past the programming.

Even though, most likely, it would actually make no difference when presenting your passport to any foreign border agent.

I would not advise anyone to push the limits like this in either direction. But the point remains that a non-expired US passport is valid up until midnight on the expiration date to travel FROM a foreign country to the USA. There is no six month rule/suggestion/State Dept advisory otherwise.

You asked "Show me one written rule from any other country in the world that requires a US citizen to have any sort of extra time left on their passport to leave their country and return to the US." emphasis mine My comments in red.

Ecuador requires your ticket to be valid 6 months after your return ticket date. to enter. If I couldn't get into the Ecuador then there is no way I could get out of Ecuador. this is not about getting IN, it is about rules for getting OUT, specifically when stranded by a cruise ship ...

Sadie, you keep showing the ENTRY rule. Yes, Ecuador calculates their entry rule as 6 months from the date of your planned exit. But they do not have an exit rule. If you get sick or miss your plane and suddenly find yourself with only 5 months and 29 days left on your passport they do not prevent you from leaving the country. B and C Blake said this is what countries do.

Sadie, you keep showing the ENTRY rule. Yes, Ecuador calculates their entry rule as 6 months from the date of your planned exit. But they do not have an exit rule. If you get sick or miss your plane and suddenly find yourself with only 5 months and 29 days left on your passport they do not prevent you from leaving the country. B and C Blake said this is what countries do.

Some people just don't get it. It does not matter when your passport expires to leave a country. It only matters (at least when coming back into the US) that it is valid at the time you enter the country. No one can provide you any documentation that the rule is any different than that. If they think they can please let me know. I have some marsh land available for sale in the Sonaran desert.

With all the heated discussion on the board, does anyone actually know WHY there is a 6month "limitation" (or whatever you call it)?

I dont know where I heard it from (possibly my TA?), so please accept this as a suggestion only, but I was under the impression that it was IN CASE a situation should arise, where the passport holder cannot return to the US on their projected return date (due to illness, civil disruption, war, etc), they have a generous 6 months to recover, contact the embassy, get their affairs in order, or what-have-you, and return to the US before their passport expires.

Im just thinking that if we know WHY this limitation has been placed, then it might be easier to answer the question...

[quote name='B and C Blake']Challenge the Gov not me. I go by what is written not by what is not written. Perhaps you should try first hand go miss your ship at a port with passport being less than 6 months expiration and report back what happens.

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?
a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.
If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip.[COLOR=red] Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.[/COLOR]

[URL]http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html[/URL][/quote]

The problem here is that it does not state if it is domestic or international airlines restricting boarding, OR whether the airline in question is to transport the passport holder [I][B]out of[/B][/I] or [I][B]into[/B][/I] the states when hyopthetically denied boarding (although my assumption would be the former).

Archived