A slightly different Passport question

sugaangel601

My passport expires in February 2012. According to new regulations, you cannot travel with a passport that is not valid for at least 6 months past the date of your return. My questions are: Does anyone know...

...if you can travel domestically with a passport that expires in less than 6 months as primary ID?

...if you can travel on closed loop cruises with said passport conditions?

...if you renew your passport prior to its expiration, does that change the new expiration date? (i.e. - If I renewed in August, would the new passport expire 10 years from August or February?)

My passport expires in February 2012. According to new regulations, you cannot travel with a passport that is not valid for at least 6 months past the date of your return. My questions are: Does anyone know...

...if you can travel domestically with a passport that expires in less than 6 months as primary ID?

...if you renew your passport prior to its expiration, does that change the new expiration date? (i.e. - If I renewed in August, would the new passport expire 10 years from August or February?)

Good questions! Mine expires the same month as well.

Another question, I have lots of stamps in my current one. Can you keep the current one or do you have to turn that in when you get a new one?

...if you can travel domestically with a passport that expires in less than 6 months as primary ID?I would not risk it - get a new one ASAP!

...if you can travel on closed loop cruises with said passport conditions? Again would not risk it - get a new one!

...if you renew your passport prior to its expiration, does that change the new expiration date? (i.e. - If I renewed in August, would the new passport expire 10 years from August or February?)The new one will expire 10 years from the original month, February

Good questions! Mine expires the same month as well.

Another question, I have lots of stamps in my current one. Can you keep the current one or do you have to turn that in when you get a new one?

You will get the expired passport back, and it will have microscopic holes punched into it making it invalid for travel. It also may be stamped with the word EXPIRED. I'll know better when my husband's passport expires in April of next year.

Hope this helps!

My passport expires in February 2012. According to new regulations, you cannot travel with a passport that is not valid for at least 6 months past the date of your return.

I may be wrong, but I believe this applies to overseas travel where it is a requirement of the individual country.

You will get the expired passport back, and it will have microscopic holes punched into it making it invalid for travel. It also may be stamped with the word EXPIRED. I'll know better when my husband's passport expires in April of next year.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! :)

Hope this helps!

You beat me to it! But those are my thoughts regarding the OP, too. I dont have anything booked yet, but I am curious...

I may be wrong, but I believe this applies to overseas travel where it is a requirement of the individual country.
That was my impression, but I also thought it was at the request of the US? I thought it was in place "in case" something happens abroad...

But Im still wondering if a "nearly expired" passport is valid for domestic travel and closed loop cruises as a birth certificate is currently adequate...

Thanks for the responses!

I'm by no means an expert, but for the first question, you can travel domestically with an expired passport, simply because you don't need it, and it is worthless. Not really sure what the question is?

For a closed loop cruise, you need a valid passport or other forms of ID that is valid. I believe your passport, if it is within 6 months, would be invalid and it would be best to have a second form of ID (birth certificate)

For the last question, I do not remember

Your passport is vaild for domestic travel and I.D. up until the day it expires.

The 6 month ruling or whatever is from other countries overseas that will not permit travellers to have less than that amount of time left on their U.S. passport, that has nothing to do with U.S. regulations.

I'm by no means an expert, but for the first question, you can travel domestically with an expired passport, simply because you don't need it, and it is worthless. Not really sure what the question is?

You need a form of ID to get through airport security... Therefore, you should be able to travel within the US until the actual date of expiration, right?

For a closed loop cruise, you need a valid passport or other forms of ID that is valid. I believe your passport, if it is within 6 months, would be invalid and it would be best to have a second form of ID (birth certificate)

Another way to look at it is, what makes it valid? The date? The requirements of the destination? Isnt it technically valid according to US standards until Feb 2012?

My original question reflects the concept of "what is the point of having an expiration date of Feb 2012 if it is no longer valid after Aug 2011?"

Your new passport will have a new issue date (August) and a new expiration date. Just renewed DDs passport. Hers also expires in February.
Thanks for the info!

Your passport is vaild for domestic travel and I.D. up until the day it expires.

The 6 month ruling or whatever is from other countries overseas that will not permit travellers to have less than that amount of time left on their U.S. passport, that has nothing to do with U.S. regulations.

Thank you for the clarification. I am unsure as to where the "requirement" came from, but I was under the impression that it was something of an advisory protocol warning, so to speak, from the US Embassies/Consulates.

And, that would mean that it is still valid for cruising, I think?

Perhaps a better question would be: does any one know where or how I can go about getting official governmental answers to these questions?:)

Last year I sailed on a closed-loop cruise with a passport that was due to expire in a matter of weeks (I think less than 2 months). Aside from the Carnival agent pointing out the expiration date to me, I had no problem sailing with that passport.

In the US the passport is not expired until the day it expires just like your DL.

However, if you are on a cruise and you need to fly home from country ABC and country ABC requires US passports have 6 months or longer left before expiration you are stuck. Even if country ABC says go ahead you still have the airlines to deal with. Most will not honor a passport with less the 6 months left on it meaning those high dollar emergency tix you just bought are worthless because the airline will not let you board the plane.

Also, as a friend said to me one time. In foreign countries they can change a law from one day to the next.

In the US the passport is not expired until the day it expires just like your DL.

However, if you are on a cruise and you need to fly home from country ABC and country ABC requires US passports have 6 months or longer left before expiration you are stuck. Even if country ABC says go ahead you still have the airlines to deal with. Most will not honor a passport with less the 6 months left on it meaning those high dollar emergency tix you just bought are worthless because the airline will not let you board the plane.

Also, as a friend said to me one time. In foreign countries they can change a law from one day to the next.

Where did you come up with this? Foreign countries could not care less how much time is left on your passport if you are leaving, the only thing that matters is it still valid to enter the US.

Where did you come up with this? Foreign countries could not care less how much time is left on your passport if you are leaving, the only thing that matters is it still valid to enter the US.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13342877/ns/travel-travel_tips/t/when-your-valid-passport-isnt-really-valid/

It is an old link but at least msnbc.com has a little reliability. I cant seem to find any more info about additions or deletions to the list of countries that require the expiration limitation.

Belize for example ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Belize and a proof of return to the U.S.

You can go here and click on different countries for more info then click entry/ exit requirements

http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

Last year I sailed on a closed-loop cruise with a passport that was due to expire in a matter of weeks (I think less than 2 months). Aside from the Carnival agent pointing out the expiration date to me, I had no problem sailing with that passport.

Thank you! That is what I was hoping to hear!

I understand the potential risks of traveling without a "valid" passport, and they are the same risks one takes traveling with just a birth certificate... which is permitted. And you are right... you never know what requirements a foreign country may come up with!

Thanks for the link!

I have a passport in my maiden name (I also have a passport card which I have been using instead of spending the money to get a new passport book). Anyway....

My original passport book was due to expire in Feb 2014. I sent off for a new one in my new name and the new one expires in June 2021.

So, your passport will expire 10 years from the date of renewal, not from the original month.

Belize for example ENTRY / EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All U.S. citizens must have a U.S. passport valid for at least six months from the date of arrival in Belize and a proof of return to the U.S.

You can go here and click on different countries for more info then click entry/ exit requirements

http://travel.state.gov/travel/travel_1744.html

These entry and exit requirements do not apply to cruise visitors of less than one day. The paragraph immediately below the part you quoted even talks about RT cruises from the US and being able travel. Emergency cases are leaving the country and in that case, there are no exit requirements from Belize. Airlines will most certainly let you board an airplane to return to the US with a valid US passport. Even on the date of expiration.

These entry and exit requirements do not apply to cruise visitors of less than one day. The paragraph immediately below the part you quoted even talks about RT cruises from the US and being able travel. Emergency cases are leaving the country and in that case, there are no exit requirements from Belize. Airlines will most certainly let you board an airplane to return to the US with a valid US passport. Even on the date of expiration.

Challenge the Gov not me. I go by what is written not by what is not written. Perhaps you should try first hand go miss your ship at a port with passport being less than 6 months expiration and report back what happens.

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html

I think the question might be about the flight portion of the trip (flying to the port city). If that is the case, then no, you cannot use an expired passport for you ID. Per the government regulations, once it has hit the expiration date it is no longer a valid ID. However for a domestic flight, a passport is valid right up to the day it expires, so the 6 month rule won't apply to this.

Also, I just renewed my passport, as well as my wife, and the old one did not get microscopic holes. They each got one hole with a standard size hole punch. Probably depends on the passport office you deal with.

As for the expiration date, it will be 10 years from the date of issue of the new passport. The old one will have no bearing on this.

I would call the cruise line about the closed loop travel, but I'm assuming you are referring to the fact that you are returning to the same port that you left from. I would think that it would not be a problem in this case because you are reasonably expected to get back on the ship. On a flight, once you get off the plane, there are so many variables that could keep you off the return.

Challenge the Gov not me. I go by what is written not by what is not written.
Fine go by what is written, but please don't just make stuff up. Earlier in this thread you said
THAT is not written anywhere in the government passport regulations. Nor will you find an example of that ever written on these boards. It's just not true for returning home. There are multiple examples of the opposite situation posted, however. The State warning is for leaving the US,not returning to it.

Why would a passport that has not expired but has less than 6 months not be good on a closed loop Caribbean cruise but a birth certificate would?

makes no sense.

Cruising September 10th and passport expires in 5 months.

I won't be crying on here if I get denied boarding but it's not going to happen.

Bill

Fine go by what is written, but please don't just make stuff up. Earlier in this thread you said

THAT is not written anywhere in the government passport regulations. Nor will you find an example of that ever written on these boards. It's just not true for returning home. There are multiple examples of the opposite situation posted, however. The State warning is for leaving the US,not returning to it.

I still wouldn't do it though. In the regulations passed down to the airlines, we cannot accept a passport for international travel if it expires in less than 6 months. Now I understand that is intended for the outbound travel, and I do believe that is written. But I can just see some yahoo airport agent in Mexico, or wherever he is traveling to, not wanting to accept it. Returning to the ship should be no problem, but I'm thinking in terms of what if something happens and he has to fly back home.

Archived