Brown Bear & Wildlife Viewing Expedition

LEtue

Does anyone have any experience with this excursion offered by Princess? It doesn't say if it goes to Admiralty Island.....

http://www.princess.com/find/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=JNU-870&t=A&exType=S

I've got this tour booked for August. From the description, it does sound like it goes to Admiralty Island.

Has anyone been on this trip?

I have some doubts it is Admirality Island. An independent operator which is long time, runs these tours for $600.

Also, IF it were Admirality Island, why wouldn't that be in the description??

I've got this tour booked for August. From the description, it does sound like it goes to Admiralty Island.

Has anyone been on this trip?

If you wouldn't mind posting your experience when you return I would really appreciate it!

I have some doubts it is Admirality Island. An independent operator which is long time, runs these tours for $600.

Also, IF it were Admirality Island, why wouldn't that be in the description??

Exactly! The price is throwing me off too as well as no reference to Admiralty Island in the description :confused:

I won't! Don't want to risk getting somewhere and being disapppointed.

Hopefully, someone will stop by and let us know where this tour goes.

The Anan Creek trip out of Ketchikan is $495 by booking independently so that is always an option :)

The Anan Creek trip out of Ketchikan is $495 by booking independently so that is always an option :)

Anan Creek is very different - mostly black bears, not grizzlies. And most tours from Ketchikan allow limited time at the Anan Creek viewing platform (for my taste anyway).

Anan Creek is very different - mostly black bears, not grizzlies. And most tours from Ketchikan allow limited time at the Anan Creek viewing platform (for my taste anyway).

Yes, and I would definitely prefer Pack Creek out of Juneau but I'm having trouble finding much information on independent tour options.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Just a suggestion: If you are going to spend that kind of money for a bear viewing trip, why not take the extra day (unless you are doing RT) and fly out of Anchorage? Rust's provides superior bear viewing trips to Lake Clark, Redoubt, Brooks and Katmai, where you see salmon feed bears. FAR different than those in Denali for both size and appearance.

As an Alaskan, I totally agree with Great Am. Rust's does a superb job and can fly to Katmai....my personal choice...and not on the boardwalk. You will be within 20 feet of brown bears....and you feel be safe.....or if your ship goes to Homer....fly out with K2 to Katmai ..... it is a wonderful trip and worth every single penny.....Another great trip on a cruise is going out with coastal helicopters to have a dog sled ride with some Iditarod finishers...It was another one of those peak experiences....

Just a suggestion: If you are going to spend that kind of money for a bear viewing trip, why not take the extra day (unless you are doing RT) and fly out of Anchorage? Rust's provides superior bear viewing trips to Lake Clark, Redoubt, Brooks and Katmai, where you see salmon feed bears. FAR different than those in Denali for both size and appearance.

As an Alaskan, I totally agree with Great Am. Rust's does a superb job and can fly to Katmai....my personal choice...and not on the boardwalk. You will be within 20 feet of brown bears....and you feel be safe.....or if your ship goes to Homer....fly out with K2 to Katmai ..... it is a wonderful trip and worth every single penny.....Another great trip on a cruise is going out with coastal helicopters to have a dog sled ride with some Iditarod finishers...It was another one of those peak experiences....

Yes, the plan is to spend at least 2 days in Homer and do exactly that however, my cabinmate may have to cancel and I am researching alternate plans in case I have to cruise solo from Vancouver.

Edited by LEtue

Yes, and I would definitely prefer Pack Creek out of Juneau but I'm having trouble finding much information on independent tour options.

Thanks for the feedback :D

Alaska Fly N Fish is the vendor who does Pack Creek. I have flown with them, but not to there. Long standing well run company.

Alaska Fly N Fish is the vendor who does Pack Creek. I have flown with them, but not to there. Long standing well run company.

Thank you so much! I knew you would have some helpful information :D

Edited by LEtue

• 1 month later...

We had a great time on this tour. We went to Chichagof Island and saw 5 brown bears catching salmon. There were 10 people and 2 guides on the tour. The tour was run by Bear Creek Outfitters.

We walked for about 5 minutes before we saw our first bear, about 300 feet away. We watched this bear for about an hour. She was replaced by another bear who stayed for half an hour. While this bear was at the site, a small brown, passed 70 feet away from us, on the other side of the creek. She replaced bear #2. As we were getting ready to go, 2 larger bears appeared. So for the last few minutes, we had 3 bears fishing at the same site. I'll write a more detailed review when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Highly recommend.

We had a great time on this tour. We went to Chichagof Island and saw 5 brown bears catching salmon. There were 10 people and 2 guides on the tour. The tour was run by Bear Creek Outfitters.

We walked for about 5 minutes before we saw our first bear, about 300 feet away. We watched this bear for about an hour. She was replaced by another bear who stayed for half an hour. While this bear was at the site, a small brown, passed 70 feet away from us, on the other side of the creek. She replaced bear #2. As we were getting ready to go, 2 larger bears appeared. So for the last few minutes, we had 3 bears fishing at the same site. I'll write a more detailed review when I get home in a couple of weeks.

Highly recommend.

Really? It was the Brown Bear & Wildlife Viewing Expedition offered by Princess? Sounds like you had a great time. Can't wait to hear more so please post when you get home and thanks!

Yes, it was the Princess excursion. Will post more when I get back. The internet on the ship is unreliable.

No problem! Can't wait to hear all about this excursion and your entire trip :D

Hi Linda,

Last year my wife and I visited Pack Creek and saw a dozen Brown Bears feeding. All I can say is, it was incredible! Ok, so I can say more than incredible, fantastic and awesome also come to mind . We used Ward Air out of Juneau, very reasonably priced and awesome folks. You will need permits as well.

Brad

Hi Linda,

Last year my wife and I visited Pack Creek and saw a dozen Brown Bears feeding. All I can say is, it was incredible! Ok, so I can say more than incredible, fantastic and awesome also come to mind . We used Ward Air out of Juneau, very reasonably priced and awesome folks. You will need permits as well.

Brad

More Brown bears on Admiralty Island per square mile than any other place on the planet.

Unfortunately, we will be too late in the season for these sites. But I'm in touch with Michelle at Island wings now to book a trip to Traitors Cove :D

• 2 years later...
Unfortunately, we will be too late in the season for these sites. But I'm in touch with Michelle at Island wings now to book a trip to Traitors Cove :D

If you're interested, we have booked with Michelle at Island Wings for an excursion to Traitors Cove for 4 hours and then a 2 hour flight over Misty Fjords before returning to Ketchikan - altogether a 6 hour excursion. Our trip will be the first week in September.

• 2 months later...
Any recent experiences about this trip?

We will be in Alaska with Princess first week of September.

I'm considering doing this trip.

Is it still Beak Creek Outfitters they're going with. Their website says they fly to Admirality?

There are actually 2 tours listed on the website. One under bear viewing which has a similar description to the cruise line tour. So, I am guessing that is the one that they have contracted with Princess.

http://www.juneauflyfishing.com/bear_viewing.html

There is also a Pack Creek Tour and it is longer and pricier.

http://www.juneauflyfishing.com/packcreek.html

I hope this is helpful.

I did an Anan trip out of Wrangle. We were there for about 6 hours and could have stayed longer except that 2 of our group had to get back to Wrangle to catch a plane.

While most of the bears were black bears, we did see some grizzlies.

DON