Photo ID in Port - for children

When in port, DH and I plan to take our DLs as our photo IDs. Our DD's only photo ID is her passport. For the ports that require photo ID to get back on the ship, do they require it for young children (she's 6) as well? If so we'll take her passport off the ship.

We'll be in Bermuda, St. Thomas, San Juan and St. Martin.

Thank you!

They asked my 9 year old and 6 year old for ID when we reboarded in Bermuda and Puerto Rico. In Bermuda the lady was obnoxious about me not having the kids ID.

Im surprised! My youngest is 17, but looks younger, and she was never asked for ID even though she has a DL.

It says right in the Compass that under 16 does not need photo ID (but of course, this is a local port authority requirement, not RCI's, so the cruiseline has no control).

For those with children under 16, I would bring a photocopy of the passport ID page. I would also bring along the page from the Compass that says that only 16+ needs photo ID...that page is important anyway because it contains the contact info for RCI's representative at the port (ie: the agent who will help you should you need any assistance while onshore).

So why would you NOT take passports with you? Just curious because my 15 year old does not have a DL and I was going to just take passports with us into port. We'll be at St. Thomas and St. Marteen. About Coco Cay, we shouldn't need anything but our seapass card, right?

So why would you NOT take passports with you? Just curious because my 15 year old does not have a DL and I was going to just take passports with us into port. We'll be at St. Thomas and St. Marteen. About Coco Cay, we shouldn't need anything but our seapass card, right?

Always bring your seapass cards when exiting the ship. In the Virgin Islands you need only a DL or color copy of your passport (don't risk losing your passport unnecessarily). Russia has been the only country we've had to show passports off a cruise!

Some are nervous about loosing, damaging, or having their passports stolen while in port. If you are doing a water activity, you do need to take additional precaution to ensure they stay dry.

If you search on this board you will find those that are firmly in either the "always keep your passport with you" or "lock it away in the safe forever" camps. There are pros and cons to each and everyone needs to make the decision that is most comfortable for them.

I always keep photo ID of children with me, passports as they are legally required to enter any foreign port. I also maintain a morning of photograph of each child as well as a closeup of their shoes and shoe tread. These are valuable and do not waste time if the child becomes separated or lost, under stress we have the pictures to refer to rather than our memory.

They asked my 9 year old and 6 year old for ID when we reboarded in Bermuda and Puerto Rico. In Bermuda the lady was obnoxious about me not having the kids ID.

We must have had the same Bermuda lady last summer. She gave my 16yo a hard time because he didn't have ID (while ignoring my 14 yo). She was really difficult. This time we just brought all of our ID with us.

Just got off the Explorer on Thursday. It was a five-night Bermuda cruise out of Cape Liberty. Anyone under 18 did not need to show photo ID when boarding the ship in Bermuda, only a seapass card. Those 18 and older needed photo ID and seapass card. This was stated on the RCCL tv recording that plays over and over while you're in port. My 16 year old was never asked for photo ID. My 18 year old always showed his.

Also, they were very strict that nobody under 18 could get on or off the ship in Bermuda without an adult. We saw many teenagers being prevented from disembarking by themselves.

I always keep photo ID of children with me, passports as they are legally required to enter any foreign port.
To be picky, many foreign countries do not require passports for US citizens to enter.

I always keep photo ID of children with me, passports as they are legally required to enter any foreign port.

Just got back from the Explorer, and my 14 YO did not need anything in Bermuda, St. Martin, Puerto Rico, or St. Thomas.

Just his seapass.

Archived