Price of Water Package

I had often wondered why there was constant threads relative to taking water on board for a cruise. My wife's current therapy requires her to drink 3-4 bottles of water per day so we decided to check out the price of water packages for an upcoming cruise.

Now I know why people would like to carry on their own water; a 24 bottle pack of water from RCL would cost us $71 plus 15% gratuity. I just bought a 24 bottle pack from Sam's for $4.48!!!! Where on earth do they come up with their prices?:confused:

I agree. We are taking our 1st RCCL cruise this year and are disappointed with the whole drink package in general. For example, with Carnival, I always bought the soda sticker and was able to get can sodas. However, with RCCL, you only get fountain sodas. With Carnival, you can call Bon Voyage and buy a bottle of liquor to keep in your room. With RCCL, no option at all to do this.

I totally see your point. With Carnival, they allow you to take some drinks on. With RCCL, you're not supposed to, but some people do and get through with no problem. Others have had their drinks taken (just from what I've read here on CC).

We're trying RCCL because we wanted to try a different cruise line. We don't base our cruise options on drink packages, but it sure can help the budget if ya know what I mean.;)

The bottles of Evian are 1 liter bottles. Yes they are more than what you would pay on land. Bring on your own.

So, if we take our own, do you think we have a 50/50 chance of getting through with it?

So, if we take our own, do you think we have a 50/50 chance of getting through with it?

I hope you'd have a good chance of getting through! I plan to try to take on board 6 x 1.5 litre bottles (£3.66!) because I have to take so many tablets I always need a lot of water in my cabin.

As RCCL want £20 for 8 x 1 litres, I'm going to try to just take a pack of 6 onboard and tell them it's for medical reasons....

Wish me luck :)

I had often wondered why there was constant threads relative to taking water on board for a cruise. My wife's current therapy requires her to drink 3-4 bottles of water per day so we decided to check out the price of water packages for an upcoming cruise.

Now I know why people would like to carry on their own water; a 24 bottle pack of water from RCL would cost us $71 plus 15% gratuity. I just bought a 24 bottle pack from Sam's for $4.48!!!! Where on earth do they come up with their prices?:confused:

Hi librayacht,

Last night I was at a concert in an outdoor facility ( Randy Travis and Josh Turnrer were performing). That facility does not allow any liquid to be brought in. Temp were in the 96 deg F range so lots of water was sold. The price for one 20 fl. oz bottle of Aquafina was $3.50.

So the price of water on the ship does not look that bad in this comparison.

Please do not misunderstand me that I am advocating high prices on anything - I do not have a 'money tree' and pay the same as you do ..... but if "they" , ( cruise line, concert facilities, whatever) do not make money - none of us will have a chance to enjoy what they offer ...... because they will be bunkrupt.

Some of the largest ships cost 1.4 billion dol. add to that what it costs to operate this ship ...... the fuel, the food, the port charges, the cost of the employees on ship as well as on land ....... that is why the water cost so much.

Wes

I haven't sailed RCL in a number of years so I have no idea how strict their new policy is, but I would bring a note from the doctor alerting RCL that your wife's diet requires plenty of water.

Does Sam's price include delivery to your room in the middle of the ocean? That's not really a fare price. Burger King price of a whopper is lot higher in Honolulu than it is in Topeka. The water on the ships is good, you don't have to have the bottled water, but it is a nice convenience. My wife and I are both successful weight loss surgery patients so we get the water package as well, it usually works out to around $4 a bottle, which I wouldn't pay at Costco, but to have it delivered to my room without any additional effort by me isn't so bad.

I agree with you that the prices are crazy. DH and I purchased the 8 bottle package for our upcoming trip. We figured with 8 bottles we would be able to re-fill them on the ship and since we only have 4 days in port we could take one for each day in port.

I hope to find a few bottles of soda before we embark and get them into my checked luggage.

You know you could bring a bottle and always fill it up at the buffet free, I see a lot of people doing that, there's ice also to make it cold. We take 4 people and it does get expensive but easy to pick that bottle up in your cabin instead of going to the buffet. That is what they hope for.

Hi librayacht,

Last night I was at a concert in an outdoor facility ( Randy Travis and Josh Turnrer were performing). That facility does not allow any liquid to be brought in. Temp were in the 96 deg F range so lots of water was sold. The price for one 20 fl. oz bottle of Aquafina was $3.50.

So the price of water on the ship does not look that bad in this comparison.

Please do not misunderstand me that I am advocating high prices on anything - I do not have a 'money tree' and pay the same as you do ..... but if "they" , ( cruise line, concert facilities, whatever) do not make money - none of us will have a chance to enjoy what they offer ...... because they will be bunkrupt.

Some of the largest ships cost 1.4 billion dol. add to that what it costs to operate this ship ...... the fuel, the food, the port charges, the cost of the employees on ship as well as on land ....... that is why the water cost so much.

Wes

I agree to a certain extent, but there is a big difference in paying this price for a couple of waters while attending a concert for a few hours vs. paying this for 5-6 bottles a day for a whole week.:)

On the ship, we just fill a glass with tap water and ice.....it works! You can get ice water at any bar or eating venue on the ship. I've only bought 1 bottle of water (in a port) once....otherwise, if I get thirsty, there are places to get drinks!

I agree to a certain extent, but there is a big difference in paying this price for a couple of waters while attending a concert for a few hours vs. paying this for 5-6 bottles a day for a whole week.:)

The cruise line has to schlep the water around and burn fuel doing it; in the event someone may or may not buy it. Same goes for other beverages. No other venue has to bear this expense as a part of doing business; stadiums, fairs, etc.

The need to buy that much water everyday is another issue.

I haven't sailed RCL in a number of years so I have no idea how strict their new policy is, but I would bring a note from the doctor alerting RCL that your wife's diet requires plenty of water.

I think they'd laugh at that one - there is plenty of perfectly good water on the ship, probably purer than some of the bottled stuff. It is available free of charge in many venues. If the OP wants a supply in their cabin, just either ask for a pitcher from room service or bring some empty sports bottles and fill them in the Windjammer to keep on hand. There is no need at all for expensive bottled water.

The cruise line has to schlep the water around and burn fuel doing it; in the event someone may or may not buy it. Same goes for other beverages. No other venue has to bear this expense as a part of doing business; stadiums, fairs, etc.

The need to buy that much water everyday is another issue.

No, I agree....I was just talking about the overall cost for a week compared to a few hours. They really could offer better deals on bottled water. It's not like they had to make it....;)

Five to 6 bottles a day especially for 2 people, is nothing really. Some people only drink water and lots of it. If you're up for 15-16 hours a day, are you saying 5-6 bottles a day is too much water for 1 person to drink? Not for us, especially if we're taking excursions off the boat.

Some people do have health issues that require them to drink a lot of water everyday......and others just love water. :)

, are you saying 5-6 bottles a day is too much water for 1 person to drink?r. :)

Not saying that. I am just in the camp that does not get buying water. I would get one for an excursion but when there is free options are around I do not understand since most bottled water is tap water.

If it is worth it to you that is all that matters.:)

My husband and I are going on a 5 night cruise in October. He only drinks bottled water, even at home. I purchased the 8-bottle package for him which does work out to around $4/bottle. I'll drink the free water on board and we will both be happy! It is expensive, but it's our vacation. I think most people are used to paying more for things when you are on vacation. :)

you'll get your water on board...just check the case-they'll deliver it to your room-saw it done on my last cruise in March...and what i experienced first hand, any bottles that were carried & OPENED which you had or were currently drinking on either got chugged at the xray or chunked into the trash..right then and there...I had 2 24oz Caffeine free Diet Dr Pepper (which is my favorite drink that is not carried on any cruiseline) in my shoulder bag and they checked the seal..as long as the seal was INtact , you were allowed to keep it...I have also seen others who pack an extra suitcase with nothing but water in it-luggage tag it and its delivered to your room

as for me, I dont have to have the bottled water-the ship water is fine..and I love the new flavored sugar free water also-only available at the windjammer! you can also fill your own insulated cup with water and ice from the machines which most ships have up at the pool bar area

If you have the opportunity to purchase a case of water in your port city before boarding the ship, I would say it is worth taking a $4 chance to slap a luggage tag on it and see if it makes it to your cabin.

Ours did, but that was a few years ago now.

Archived