Capnpugwash is finishing his season of crossings July 20 2011

capnpugwash

As usual I woke fairly early this morning anticipating joining the QM2 in Southampton. It was a little before 6am and whilst the sun was up there was no heat in it. Truly it was a very grey morning indeed.

I packed my suits and shirts and was ready to go after breakfast and only had to wait for about 3 hours until it was time for me to leave at 10am. I would normally have left later but I needed to call at a supermarket to purchase some food supplies for a friend who is working on board, she likes pork pies – what more can I say. That task completed I headed down the A3 to Portsmouth via Hindhead where the tunnel is still not open. Fortunately the delays all seem to be heading north so I was ok. Perhaps this is more to do with the time of day than anything else.

The sun was struggling to come out and as I got to the M27 at Portsmouth and turned west for the 16 or so mile journey to Southampton, the heavens opened and rain fell in buckets. It was hardly a great British summer’s day.

I got to terminal 46 at 11.45 and gave my keys over to C&PS, my bags to the porter and I headed into the building freezing cold and delighted to get out of the weather. I was through in less than 5 minutes and walked straight into the line waiting to go through security. There was some glitch on board so they had been told to hold all boarding until advised otherwise. Less than 10 minutes later we were called forward through the arches and I was on board by 12.15. It doesn’t get much better than that.

I skipped lunch and waited for my bags, one arrived at a little after 1.30 and the other was delivered at 3.30pm. This is a record for me or at least for my bags. I admit that I was imagining the missing case floating down the River Test into oblivion. Anyway it arrived, I unpacked and then after the passenger muster I headed into the spa for a restful hour or so. While I was busy doing nothing there, we let go our lines and are sailing down Southampton Water closely followed by the lovely Queen Victoria which was also in port today. I wonder where she is headed. By the time we clear the Isle of Wight and enter the English Channel I will be either in the Chart Room or at dinner, I might sneak a look later to see if she is still trailing us and if not I would guess that she is going to Norway or the Baltic.

I am just preparing myself for the evening’s delights and will be heading to the Chart Room to deliver my pork pies and probably have a cocktail or two.

More later.

Bon Voyage, Cap'n!

I managed to catch a few glimpses of both the QM2 and QV on a rain-spotted Solent webcam. The QV is heading out on a Baltic voyage. Looking forward to your updates as usual.

Regards,

John.

Ah, I am not the only one who enjoys watching the departures from the rather low-tech web cams! Funny how the QV webcam was covered in rain drops while the QM2 looked clear.

Enjoy the voyage Capn. I will keep my fingers crossed for some rough seas for your enjoyment!

And, so, off to the races again, Capnpugwash! I have your jottings to look forward to this week, and it is a pleasure to anticipate. I do hope and pray that the QM2 will face a major gale on the North Atlantic and that several of your dinner companions will be great talkers, but eccentric. I want to say also that I note that you continue to be the Great Deliverer of Goods to those who are in need of something special, and I, too, oddly enough, have a yen for a Sainsbury's Cornish Pork Pie from time to time. I have recently heard from the fine Canadian lady with whom you had luncheon in Todd English, etc. on your last trip, and we discussed several topics that we all share in common. She reminds me of Miss Moneypenny.

Don.

I was busy drafting a post on the subject of pies and those who eat them but concluded the thread might drift into moderation difficulties. Suffice it to say I am very jealous of your trip, my indifferent glass of white is not a patch on a proper cocktail and Grimsby does not compare with a TA. I look forward to reading between the lines!

Wishing you a pleasant and safe crossing!

One of my colleagues and friends is onboard with you to celebrate his birthday. He is a BA 747 First Officer, if you happen to stumble across him in conversation at one of the bars!

I wish I had of been able to get a card or something to him before he set sail, but I suppose he will have to wait! Unless you fancy playing post man Capn ??? :D

Wishing you a pleasant and safe crossing!

One of my colleagues and friends is onboard with you to celebrate his birthday. He is a BA 747 First Officer, if you happen to stumble across him in conversation at one of the bars!

I wish I had of been able to get a card or something to him before he set sail, but I suppose he will have to wait! Unless you fancy playing post man Capn ??? :D

Email me his details and what you want me to do and I will try to sort it out

Update No 1

I had my cocktails, chatted to a few people and then made my way into dinner. It was a fairly typical first night meal except that all the tablemates arrived. There were a couple from New York who were returning home having travelled over on the June 10 crossing, they had spent the intervening time touring France and England, and they said that they had thoroughly enjoyed their holiday. The other four were English, friends and ardent QE2 fans, they were quite pleasant but nothing was really right for them; the ship was too big, it didn’t have any atmosphere and they were very worried about the quality of the food. This was before dinner and having eaten; they were a lot quieter and seemed content with their meals. I went through this in 2009 and 2010 when almost every person that I spoke to would open the conversation with the immortal phrase, “well, it’s not the QE2 is it”. I had hoped that those days were in the past but perhaps I was mistaken.

I meant to say that whilst in the spa I noticed that the door handle on the steam room which had previously been made of glass had been replaced with a very nice wooden one. So common sense seems to have prevailed, in fairness if a door is supplied with a glass knob it is logical to replace that one with another similar one when it breaks.

I feel quite tired so I may well have an early night.

Today is Thursday July 21 and I woke fairly early at a little before 6am so I had a buffet breakfast sitting by the window in the sunshine. With my second cup of coffee I ventured onto deck 7 to bask in the warmth, which was a big mistake as the wind combined with the early sun meant that it was quite chilly, too chilly to remain in the open. There were a few walkers around but they were all wrapped up like Eskimos against the biting wind. Instead I went down to deck 3 and found a comfy chair in which to sit and listen to my book.

At 8am I went to the spa and did my usual routine exiting at about 10.30. I had a quick coffee and am back in the cabin for a while.

I don’t intend to have any lunch and this afternoon is the CC meeting, there are about 35 members on board but I doubt that all will attend. I think that I may go and sit by a window to see the Ocean passing by.

It is currently 11.25am and the sea is slight, we are making 22 knots, the outside temperature is 60/15 degrees and the barometer is falling. We have an easterly tail wind which is just a force 4. The sky is baby blue with just the wispiest of partial cloud cover.

More later.

I went through this in 2009 and 2010 when almost every person that I spoke to would open the conversation with the immortal phrase, “well, it’s not the QE2 is it”. I had hoped that those days were in the past but perhaps I was mistaken.

If or when the time comes for me to make my next Cunard voyage, l expect to be told "Just shut up and get on with it:rolleyes: "

If or when the time comes for me to make my next Cunard voyage, l expect to be told "Just shut up and get on with it:rolleyes: "

Hey Myles,

I follow a simple shipboard rule... never discuss politics, religion or QE2:rolleyes:.

Always nice when you pop up in these boards.

Bobby

Update No 2.

I was up in the Commodore Club at 2pm today in case people arrived early, there were a couple of pods of dolphins swimming right in front of the ship and apparently later on there was a large whale off our port side, I didn’t see it unfortunately but maybe one day I will be lucky.

We had a great meeting this afternoon and 26 of the 35 members attended, I have not experienced such a large gathering before and it was completed when Julie Rynd and the Commodore both attended as well. He was unfortunately called away after half an hour but Julie stayed until almost the bitter end. We all had a great chat as usual and it was good fun. We finally ended the meeting at a little after 4pm.

I went and sat in the Winter Garden and finished listening to my book.

After this sojourn I walked along deck 7 but it was cold so I returned to my cabin to prepare for the first formal dinner, the table host was Brian Watling who arrived at the table at 8.45pm and took his seat without any explanation or apology. The meal progressed very nicely and afterwards I headed up to the Commodore Club followed closely by G32 as we gain another hour this evening,

More later.

... be interested if there have been ( or will be ) any Passenger Talent Shows on your crossings?

( Have greatly enjoyed your postings ).

PCM

There is normally one towards the end of the trip, but I don't know if this will follow the usual pattern.

Update No 1

I had my cocktails, chatted to a few people and then made my way into dinner. It was a fairly typical first night meal except that all the tablemates arrived. There were a couple from New York who were returning home having travelled over on the June 10 crossing, they had spent the intervening time touring France and England, and they said that they had thoroughly enjoyed their holiday. The other four were English, friends and ardent QE2 fans, they were quite pleasant but nothing was really right for them; the ship was too big, it didn’t have any atmosphere and they were very worried about the quality of the food. This was before dinner and having eaten; they were a lot quieter and seemed content with their meals. I went through this in 2009 and 2010 when almost every person that I spoke to would open the conversation with the immortal phrase, “well, it’s not the QE2 is it”. I had hoped that those days were in the past but perhaps I was mistaken.

I meant to say that whilst in the spa I noticed that the door handle on the steam room which had previously been made of glass had been replaced with a very nice wooden one. So common sense seems to have prevailed, in fairness if a door is supplied with a glass knob it is logical to replace that one with another similar one when it breaks.

I feel quite tired so I may well have an early night.

Today is Thursday July 21 and I woke fairly early at a little before 6am so I had a buffet breakfast sitting by the window in the sunshine. With my second cup of coffee I ventured onto deck 7 to bask in the warmth, which was a big mistake as the wind combined with the early sun meant that it was quite chilly, too chilly to remain in the open. There were a few walkers around but they were all wrapped up like Eskimos against the biting wind. Instead I went down to deck 3 and found a comfy chair in which to sit and listen to my book.

At 8am I went to the spa and did my usual routine exiting at about 10.30. I had a quick coffee and am back in the cabin for a while.

I don’t intend to have any lunch and this afternoon is the CC meeting, there are about 35 members on board but I doubt that all will attend. I think that I may go and sit by a window to see the Ocean passing by.

It is currently 11.25am and the sea is slight, we are making 22 knots, the outside temperature is 60/15 degrees and the barometer is falling. We have an easterly tail wind which is just a force 4. The sky is baby blue with just the wispiest of partial cloud cover.

More later.

capnpugwash,

I would be interested to know if you ever wake up in the morning wondering which direction you are headed, east or west? :D

Archived