Obama NYC 9/11

Got2Cruise

We are also on the 9/11 Summit cruise. We are flying in on the 10th and staying in Elizabeth, NJ. Transportation taken care of by hotel. We are clueless about that area, as this is our first time there. So guess we are asking if we will encounter any delays.....:confused: . Any advice given is good and appreciated.

thanks, Mary & John

We are also on the 9/11 Summit cruise. We are flying in on the 10th and staying in Elizabeth, NJ. Transportation taken care of by hotel. We are clueless about that area, as this is our first time there. So guess we are asking if we will encounter any delays.....:confused: . Any advice given is good and appreciated.

thanks, Mary & John

See my answers in post numbers 21 and 25. You will be in NJ, not Manhattan.

If someone was flying into Newark on 9/11 I would be concerned, but otherwise, if one is staying in New Jersey, there shouldn't be a problem.

Right...and that' why I gave that answer to the two posters...because they were going from hotels in NJ to the nearby cruise port in NJ.

Book a car service. You don't want to get involved with a random NY cab that doesn't have to take you to NJ or can charge what they like to do so or may have no clue as to how to get to Bayonne. Try Dial 7 or Carmelimo. From 52nd St you can take the Lincoln Tunnel to NJ and avoid lower Manhattan. If you leave by 10 am this should not be a problem. The car service will quote you a fixed price - ask about tolls. Tip would be extra.

Post back if you need more assistance. I spent a week in Adelaide several years ago and really enjoyed it - I got to see and experience some wonderful things. I even survived driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

I have taken your advice and booked a Dial7 service for 9am on that morning. The quote is $50 plus tolls, gratuities etc. Glad you enjoyed our city, despite driving on the left. Our son puts a sign in his car when we visit him in NC. ON THE RIGHT!...:) Look forward to seeing your city in September.

That sounds like a good price. You will be there early, so bring a book and be prepared to wait. They will serve coffee, tea, juice and cookies in the terminal.

I stayed in Glenelg and had a chance to visit the city, wineries, and Kangaroo Island and go to WOMAdelaide before taking the train to Sydney. It was wonderful.

We are flyingin on the 11th - cannot change flight. What is best public trasportation frm LaGuardia to Manhatten Pier?

The most convenient way to go is to take a taxi or car service, at a cost of about $30-35 (for the car or taxi, not per person).

Alternatively you could take the NYC Airporter bus from LGA to Port Authority Bus Terminal at $12.50 per person, and then a taxi from the bus terminal to the pier for about $8-10, but for two people this really won't save you any money versus a taxi directly from LGA and will take longer and not be as convenient.

There really aren't any good public mass transit options from LGA.

This is not about saving money. This is because Obama is ni NYC and this thread says to take public transit. Will a taxi even be able to get to the pier with Obama there?

You won't be anywhere in the vicinty of the 9/11 ceremonies, so I suspect you'll be OK getting from LGA to the pier. Frankly I'd be more concerned about the airspace around NY City being closed and your flight being delayed as a result.

They won't cancel the flight because of Obama, but they freeze airspace sometimes, and the flight might be delayed. Of course, there is always a slight chance your flight can be canceled that has nothing to do with Obama. There will be other flights to get on even if not to LGA you can always get to JFK or EWR.

Our flight gets in at 10 AM so even if it was delayed 2 hours we should be okay. What I am worried about is if they cancel the flight. Thank you.

Since the World Trade Center Memorial is due to open on September 11, 2011 it will definitely be a mad house passed Chambers Street.

Since the president will be there, that's always adds more confusion :rolleyes: There will be random and arbitrary street closures and pedestrian re-routings. There will be the constant noise of media helicopters hovering over head, traffic galore, and thousands of motorcycle gangs from all over the east coast traveling in for the day. Don't count on getting anywhere near the memorial.

[QUOTE=Feelin' Nauti';30151836]Since the World Trade Center Memorial is due to open on September 11, 2011 it will definitely be a mad house passed Chambers Street.

Since the president will be there, that's always adds more confusion :rolleyes: There will be random and arbitrary street closures and pedestrian re-routings. There will be the constant noise of media helicopters hovering over head, traffic galore, and thousands of motorcycle gangs from all over the east coast traveling in for the day. Don't count on getting anywhere near the memorial.[/QUOTE]

Someone traveling from LGA to the Manhattan cruise terminal won't get within four miles of the World Trade Center area.

[quote name='njhorseman']Someone traveling from LGA to the Manhattan cruise terminal won't get within four miles of the World Trade Center area.[/quote]
Yes!
Lower Manhattan by the World Trade Center site will be the most crowded.
Not so much near the terminal.
However, there will be extra security at the airport(s) in the area (JFK, Newark, LaGuardia) and around bridges and tunnels.
NYPD will bring in cops from units outside Manhattan to handle security.

Police will flood lower Manhattan for Saturday's three-hour-plus remembrance ceremony which begins around 8:45 a.m.

Then at 3 p.m. cops will shift attention a few blocks uptown where demonstrators will be gathering to protest the Islamic center planned for 45-51 Park Place.

Several hundred protesters are expected to mass in an area centered on Barclay Street and West Broadway to decry what planners describe as a $100-million multicultural facility. Many 9/11 families are against the center because they say it is too close to Ground Zero.

He is definitely going to be there on Sunday 9/11 for the ceremonies. There is nothing going on Sat as far as been announced.
[quote name='olson99']Will Obama be there on Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th. I thought he was to be in NYC on Sunday but the previous poster mentioned Saturday.[/quote]

[quote name='olson99']Will Obama be there on Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th. I thought he was to be in NYC on Sunday but the previous poster mentioned Saturday.[/QUOTE]

That poster is mistaken. Obama will be at the ceremonies on Sunday, 9/11. As already noted there are no announced plans for him to be in NY on Saturday. In any case, you're flying in on Sunday, which is the day of greatest concern for being able to get around in NY.

Archived