Obama NYC 9/11

Got2Cruise

Hi, several posters have posted being in NYC on 9/11/2011. It has been confirmed that Pres. Obama will be at Ground Zero attending ceremonies. Which means Gridlock City x 100!:eek:

I would recommend that everyone have a backup plan to use public transportation to get you to where you need to be if necessary.

Miracle is sailing and Carnival has changed the sail time to later than 5p. The ship will also stop across from Ground Zero and have a special event as well.

There are a few threads about this going on. Some for it some upset about it (My vacation why dwell on unpleasantness) etc.

I don't know if any of the other lines are doing anything/

I'm just talking logistics here. How to get from the airport to the ship or the hotel to the ship, etc. using public transportation in case their is unbearable gridlock and folks can't get a cab or the cab can't move. But I agree it is good that it is a Sunday.

Miracle is sailing and Carnival has changed the sail time to later than 5p. The ship will also stop across from Ground Zero and have a special event as well.

There are a few threads about this going on. Some for it some upset about it (My vacation why dwell on unpleasantness) etc.

I don't know if any of the other lines are doing anything/

The ceremony is always in the morning, the same time as the planes hit the WTC. But since it is the ten year anniversary, who knows how long it will last. As far as I know they will read the names of those deceased as they do every year. I read about the President definitely attending from a TV station on Facebook. You shouldn't have a problem. But there is no knowing where the motorcade will be going after ground zero at this point.

Is there a schedule of events for that day? We are on the Miracle and was planning to take the 1st bus at 7:30 a.m. out of Boston getting to Penn Station area at 11:45. Maybe we need to rethink this plan.

Is there a schedule of events for that day? We are on the Miracle and was planning to take the 1st bus at 7:30 a.m. out of Boston getting to Penn Station area at 11:45. Maybe we need to rethink this plan.

I agree with Got2. Even though ceremonies are early in the day; the city, especially lower Manhattan, will be crowded. Combined with the President being in town it will be what is called a "gridlock alert day" where they (the news and traffic radio/tv stations in the area) encourage people to take mass transit into and out of NYC. Anyone leaving out of NY that day may want to plan to leave their starting point just a little earlier, and don't drive in if possible.

SkipsMom, do you have access to a train instead? Even though they will have bus lanes available into NYC if there is traffic, there is a big chance, especially in the morning, that you will hit a lot of traffic. You do have the weekend in your favor, but I would personally opt for train travel.

Something similar happened to us when George Bush took Sarah Pallin to the United Nations and the G8 meeting in NYC September 2008. We were

Celebrity Constellation due to land at 5AM to disembark at Port Liberty NJ. We were not allowed to dock until about 11:30 AM and got off the ship about an hour later. It was pure chaos. The taxi that were to take us to airports, trains, hotels were all stuck in the city. Most just went to pick up new passengers and we were stuck in a gigantic mob on the dock. Celebrity tried but there just was not a way to handle all the missed connections fouled up plans and upset folks. Plus for the next cruise the food, flowers, supplies etc were not at the dock and who knows when they got there. But then the passengers were not at the dock either.

I don't know what to offer in terms of dealing with September 11. Perhaps a hotel just as close as possible. Perhaps going super early and sitting on your suitcase until everything gets in place:eek: I really think the cruise line would be smart to go a day later or earlier. It was bad coming into NYC last year and trying to get a cab in the rain. Major rememberance ceremony for the whole country will be insane.

If this was me I would take the bus the day before and then stay somewhere near the pier.

Keith

I had the "Obama-Problem" ;) in May in this year. I had to go to the airport (JFK) and was a little bit afraid to get stuck somewhere so I talked to my host. She told me that using public transport shouldn't be a problem and actually it wasn't. The only problem was that my flight took off 2 hours late because the air space was closed for some time because of the president's visit.

We can assist those who need directions with public transportation. It really is not that difficult. The most difficult part would be managing your luggage. Maybe downsizing your luggage "just in case" would be a good idea. Two sites you can utilize if you have a smart phone is hopstop and google maps. Both sites give step by step directions. One doesn't want to use a bus, it will be stuck in traffic. You need to use the subway or train.

I had the "Obama-Problem" ;) in May in this year. I had to go to the airport (JFK) and was a little bit afraid to get stuck somewhere so I talked to my host. She told me that using public transport shouldn't be a problem and actually it wasn't. The only problem was that my flight took off 2 hours late because the air space was closed for some time because of the president's visit.

I agree with Got2. Even though ceremonies are early in the day; the city, especially lower Manhattan, will be crowded. Combined with the President being in town it will be what is called a "gridlock alert day" where they (the news and traffic radio/tv stations in the area) encourage people to take mass transit into and out of NYC. Anyone leaving out of NY that day may want to plan to leave their starting point just a little earlier, and don't drive in if possible.

SkipsMom, do you have access to a train instead? Even though they will have bus lanes available into NYC if there is traffic, there is a big chance, especially in the morning, that you will hit a lot of traffic. You do have the weekend in your favor, but I would personally opt for train travel.

I think the train is the way to go. Amtrak has a train leaving 50 minutes earlier than the bus would have.

It would be better if they could find a hotel room for a price that doesn't cost as much as the cruise. ;) Staying in Queens or NJ won't cut it if they want to be close and avoid the gridlock.

Wouldn't it just be better to arrive the day before rather than downsizing luggage and the like.

After all the person is going on a cruise.

Keith

Good idea. At least it's a Sunday - that will help somewhat. Do we know what ships sail on 9/11. I think the Miracle does.

Carol, Celebrity's SUMMIT sails on 9/11 out of Bayonne.

I think that NYC is going to be a parking lot all day....I agree with trying to come in a day ahead....it may be tough scoring a hotel as well...

yes getting from NJ into NYC will stink, BUT at least you're only starting several miles away instead of a few hundred.....

just food for thought....

Carol, Celebrity's SUMMIT sails on 9/11 out of Bayonne.

This was the problem in 2008. They would not let our ship coming in from Spain dock because the President was in NYC. If the cruise can not disembark passengers or even tie up at the dock the new passengers can do nothing except make a flash mob at the dock:eek:

We are on the 9/11 sailing of the Summit out of Bayonne. We are coming in on the 10th and are staying in Jersey City. All this talk of gridlock makes me nervous....will there be a problem going by cab to the port on 9/11? Will it be difficult to get a cab or will there be gridlock in that area? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

We are on the 9/11 sailing of the Summit out of Bayonne. We are coming in on the 10th and are staying in Jersey City. All this talk of gridlock makes me nervous....will there be a problem going by cab to the port on 9/11? Will it be difficult to get a cab or will there be gridlock in that area? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

The gridlock will be in Manhattan. You'll be in NJ and not traveling toward Manhattan. You shouldn't have a problem getting from Jersey City to Bayonne.

We will be staying on 52nd st, Manhattan the night prior to the cruise. Now I am getting rather nervous about how to get from there to Bayonne on 9/11. We booked the hotel months ago pre and post cruise. We will have two large suitcases as we will be away from home for 8 weeks and experiencing all seasons, so require warm clothing, hence heavier clothing. We had planned to get a cab from the hotel to the port, but after reading this thread am now quite concerned. Please bear in mind, we do not live in a large city and as such, are not used to using much public transport. A limo service we thought would be rather pricey, but if necessary we will do so. What suggestions does anyone have please? p.s. I have a slight mobility problem which makes it difficult to predict how I will be able to walk on that particular day.

Book a car service. You don't want to get involved with a random NY cab that doesn't have to take you to NJ or can charge what they like to do so or may have no clue as to how to get to Bayonne. Try Dial 7 or Carmelimo. From 52nd St you can take the Lincoln Tunnel to NJ and avoid lower Manhattan. If you leave by 10 am this should not be a problem. The car service will quote you a fixed price - ask about tolls. Tip would be extra.

Post back if you need more assistance. I spent a week in Adelaide several years ago and really enjoyed it - I got to see and experience some wonderful things. I even survived driving on the "wrong" side of the road.

Archived