Will they remove a bed from stateroom?

irishtwins

Group of 9 sailing Star 9/3 in 5 balcony rooms. Dad has limited mobility and I have reserved an electric scooter for him. He is unable to sleep lying in a bed so we are bringing a zero gravity chair for him to sleep in. Between the chair and scooter it will be tight. Wondering if they might take out one of the beds for us.

Have you tried to get an accessible stateroom? The extra floor space and bath with handrails may be very helpful for your father.

I do not know about the bed removal. You might ask on the disabled cruise travel forum. They have special knowledge and experience with such issues. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

If you don't have an accessible cabin, the scooter may not fit through the door of a regular balcony cabin (25" max). You can't store the scooter in the hallway, there is not enough room for that.

Group of 9 sailing Star 9/3 in 5 balcony rooms. Dad has limited mobility and I have reserved an electric scooter for him. He is unable to sleep lying in a bed so we are bringing a zero gravity chair for him to sleep in. Between the chair and scooter it will be tight. Wondering if they might take out one of the beds for us.

At the risk of sounding sarcastic, you really need to contact NCL about your father's needs. You need an ADA stateroom with an accessible doorway and bathroom, removal of a bed, and you plan to bring on a huge piece of furniture. The last thing you and your family needs is a bad surprise at check in.

(I have no idea what this zero gravity chair looks like but hallways on ships can be quite narrow in some places. At the very least you will likely need staff assistance in bringing in what you need on board.)

Can't help with the OPs question...but

(I have no idea what this zero gravity chair looks like)

If it's anything like the zero gravity chairs we have, just think of a fancy well-made folding lawn chair with leg support, and leans back like a recliner. I have them in my gazebo and they're awesomely comfortable (I sleep like a baby in them), very lightweight, and not too big and cumbersome when folded up.

Can't help with the OPs question...but

If it's anything like the zero gravity chairs we have, just think of a fancy well-made folding lawn chair with leg support, and leans back like a recliner. I have them in my gazebo and they're awesomely comfortable (I sleep like a baby in them), very lightweight, and not too big and cumbersome when folded up.

I used one of these recovering from spinal surgery. Very comfortable and not that big. However, I agree that the OP should get in contact with NCL to make sure the scooter can fit and that they can ensure accessibility. I agree that an accessible room might be the better choice.

Thanks for all your comments about the help desk. I am going to call them today. It is the folding, lightweight chair which he will sleep in. (his 70th bday is embarcation day) The scooter rental assured us it will fit through regular door, will be in his cabin when we board. Then you leave it in cabin and they come and get it after. A disabled room would have been great but only ones left were inside and he wants a balcony. If they can't remove a bed he will be fine as he is solo in cabin. Just trying to be a good daughter and check all the details.

Thanks for all your comments about the help desk. I am going to call them today. It is the folding, lightweight chair which he will sleep in. (his 70th bday is embarcation day) The scooter rental assured us it will fit through regular door, will be in his cabin when we board. Then you leave it in cabin and they come and get it after. A disabled room would have been great but only ones left were inside and he wants a balcony. If they can't remove a bed he will be fine as he is solo in cabin. Just trying to be a good daughter and check all the details.

I think a scooter will be a very tight fit in a balcony stateroom. I really cannot imaging trying it. Still, I understand that he wants the balcony. So, first I would try your rollcall. maybe somebody on the roll call has an accessible balcony when they do not really need it. That happens when people do not know the difference, are assigned the cabin as a gty, or when somebody books an accessible cabin then their mobility happily improves. Or sometimes people think the cruiseline will move them from an unneeded accessible cabin if a disabled person needs it, but the cruiselines usually do not do that. Honestly, finding an accessible cabin on the roll call is a long shot, but I think it is worth a try.

second, if that does not work, see if somebody in your party is willing to book that accessible inside cabin and a regular balcony cabin along with dad and scooter. If dad really can manage in the balcony, wow, great, he stays in the balcony. But if as one must strongly suspect, it does not work, dad can use the accessible cabin or at least store his scooter there (delivered to dad's cabin by a loving family member). Meanwhile you can keep calling and checking for an accessible balcony.

Let us know how it plays out.

I think a scooter will be a very tight fit in a balcony stateroom. I really cannot imaging trying it. Still, I understand that he wants the balcony. So, first I would try your rollcall. maybe somebody on the roll call has an accessible balcony when they do not really need it. That happens when people do not know the difference, are assigned the cabin as a gty, or when somebody books an accessible cabin then their mobility happily improves. Or sometimes people think the cruiseline will move them from an unneeded accessible cabin if a disabled person needs it, but the cruiselines usually do not do that. Honestly, finding an accessible cabin on the roll call is a long shot, but I think it is worth a try.

second, if that does not work, see if somebody in your party is willing to book that accessible inside cabin and a regular balcony cabin along with dad and scooter. If dad really can manage in the balcony, wow, great, he stays in the balcony. But if as one must strongly suspect, it does not work, dad can use the accessible cabin or at least store his scooter there (delivered to dad's cabin by a loving family member). Meanwhile you can keep calling and checking for an accessible balcony.

NCL holds the right to move a non disabled person from a(handicapped) room they have booked and relocate them to another room on the ship if a true disabled person needs that room.. Which is great if the orginal person booking the (handicapped) room does not need it.. could of been the orginal paxs just had bad luck in booking the room or some people like booking (handicapped) rooms because of the extra space... My feeling the (handicapped) rooms are there for a reason for people who truly need it.. again just my thoughts

Thanks for all your comments about the help desk. I am going to call them today. It is the folding, lightweight chair which he will sleep in. (his 70th bday is embarcation day) The scooter rental assured us it will fit through regular door, will be in his cabin when we board. Then you leave it in cabin and they come and get it after.

Cabin doors are a LOT narrower than a regular door. When you contact the special needs desk ask how wide the door opening is and then contact the scooter place to see how wide the scooter actually is.

I have personnel experience with being the person who caused an able body person to get moved to a non-ADA room. 4 weeks before our Alaska cruise, I had a work accident, had knee surgery and was on crutches and my leg was in a brace that didn't allow me to bend it. There was no way for me to ...ahem...sit when I needed to in the regular balcony stateroom...so with a doctors note we got moved into an accessible stateroom....I would definitely call and push if you have to. Mention ADA regulations requiring them to provide your dad with accessible accommodations. As far as his scooter, if your dad can walk short distances, you may be able to park the scooter at the elevator/stair lobby...on our last trip, a lady near us parked and powered hers up there every night.

Here is a photo of a balcony on the Star

The other problem if they cannot take a bed out of the room is, that even if it would fit through the door, the entrance to the room as you can see is the same size as the door. The scooter would only go as far as the bed and your Dad would have no room to maneuver to get off of the scooter into the room, it would be tight against the walls on both sides. As well not being able to get to the bathrooms which is on the left just after where our robes are hanging. Also the last thing to consider is if there were ever an emergency he would not be able to get out of the room, without again trying to maneuver to get back on the scooter and back the scooter into the very narrow hallway.

IMG_0353.jpg.5480786138df72b81a008ad16eb8d261.jpg

Archived