HAL Opens Devoted Sales Office in Australia

Krazy Kruizers

Holland America Line Opens Devoted Sales Office in Australia

Seattle, Wash., Aug. 2, 2011 — In a move that will further strengthen its presence in Australia, Holland America Line officially opened its sales office in Sydney with a final transition date of 1 September. Focused on the Australian market, the independent sales, marketing and reservations team provides direct contact with agents and administrative support.

To assist the increasing sales demands in the region, the new office enables agents to make bookings directly with Holland America Line either electronically through POLAR Online or through the Sydney-based reservations office. The line will now accept credit cards and office hours have been extended to:

Monday through Wednesday and Friday 8:30 am – 7:00 pm

Thursday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm

Saturday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Note that bookings made prior to 1 September should be made through Travel the World.

“The Australian cruise market continues to grow at a tremendous pace, and opening a dedicated office was a natural step that demonstrates our long-term commitment to this market,” said Richard Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “Holland America Line is receiving fantastic support from Australian traveler sellers, and this shows that we’re here to provide full service that reflects the high standards we are known for.”

Located in the offices of Carnival Australia in Sydney, the new team is led by Director of Sales Tony Archbold and includes business development managers, business development representatives plus inside support. Agents also are able to utilize the company’s online Travel Agent Headquarters (Cruises, Cruise Ship Deals, Travel Cruises - Holland America Line) that contains the intuitive POLAR booking engine, image library, sales and training tools and more to assist in the booking process.

The opening of the office follows an earlier announcement that 2011-12 marks the first time the line will have two ships, ms Volendam and ms Zaandam, sailing a series of itineraries in the region simultaneously. In 2012-13 the 1,926-passenger ms Oosterdam will join the 1,432-passenger ms Volendam as the first Vista-class ship to be home-ported out of Sydney, boosting Holland America Line's capacity in the area by almost 25 percent.

For a cruise brochure or for more information on Holland America Line’s voyages, consult a travel professional, call Holland America Line at 1300 987 321, or visit Cruises, Cruise Ship Deals, Travel Cruises - Holland America Line.

Perhaps that is why our TA has been having issues with Travel the World. We were informed the other week that our cruise would no longer be going to Egypt, and then the following week that it is again. Meanwhile I was able to find out that in the US, HAL were saying there was no change (this is separate to the change earlier in the year)

Let us hope we get price and condition parity in the future.

Thank you for the posting. It is a pity though that the prices through HAL's Australian website (and I am assuming they will be through the office as well) are several hundred dollars more expensive that those listed on the US site and with no added benefits as provided by the big online cruise sellers in the US. HAL lock us Aussies out of the US online markets. We are looking at a HAL cruise for next year but are disappointed by the extra it will cost us.

Do the prices paid by Australians include hotel service charge or are the charges automatically charged to your on board account as happens for U.S. and Canadians/others? I read somewhere you are 'pre-charged' with your booking? Is that true?

If so, could that account for difference in prices?

Do the prices paid by Australians include hotel service charge or are the charges automatically charged to your on board account as happens for U.S. and Canadians/others? I read somewhere you are 'pre-charged' with your booking? Is that true?

If so, could that account for difference in prices?

Sorry, they do not include gratuities. We pay that on top when we are on the ship. We can elect to have them added but that increases the upfront cost. We also have few TAs who will offer OBC or other perks. Our last cruise on Celebrity (14 days) was well over $1000 cheaper because I used a UK agent. HAL (and a number of other lines) does not allow this. Of course it does not stop us cruising but we get a little browned off when Aussies seem to be disadvantaged by some cruise lines. I am sure it is to do with lack of competition as we are a small market.

:) No reason to be 'sorry'.

It was just a question. Thanks for the response.

I don't like when we pay more for the same thing for which others pay less, either.

I 'do understand'. ;)

Thank you for the posting. It is a pity though that the prices through HAL's Australian website (and I am assuming they will be through the office as well) are several hundred dollars more expensive that those listed on the US site and with no added benefits as provided by the big online cruise sellers in the US. HAL lock us Aussies out of the US online markets. We are looking at a HAL cruise for next year but are disappointed by the extra it will cost us.

We are going HAL this year as the ports suited us. But I will be looking at Oceania or Azamara next time as I seem to remember they quote in US dollars and you pay according to the normal exchange rate.

The cruise lines are going to have to get used to the increased flow of information with social media such as this. No-one likes the feeling that they are being ripped off. I presume they have been making us pay more as we have been able to, not having had to deal with recession to the same extent as Americans. But with this latest stock market slide and the general mood here, I think they will have to try harder with us too.

May I make this suggestion;)

The Aussie Dollar has been rising constantly over the last few years against many major currencies - US $ - Euro - and the pound. Since most holiday cruises - Tours in Europe etc are costed around 2 years in advance - then prices quoted - based on the currency of the tour/cruise countries.

Hal is an American based company and its rates are in $US and since the Aus $ was around $1.20 2 years ago - hence the seeming difference.

Now that the $A1.00 is now worth $US1.10 - I just love seeing all the booze prices on board are in $US - as well as all our other purchases - ( eg - $11 S/C) and can't wait to get the 10% reduction due to the strong $A.:rolleyes:

Maybe the added benefit will be cheaper cruises for Aussies in 2 years :D

Archived