Smoking ?

phillipahain

I am a heavy cigar smoker. I have been on the Odyssey for 180 days within the last 18 months. We will add another 60 days on the Odyssey in early 2012. Never had any problem with the non-smokers as I restrict myself to deck 7 aft on the starboard side (the only place on the bigger Seabourn ships where cigar smoking is allowed). If you feel like joing me, you are cordially invited to have a chat with me. If you feel like avoiding me, stay away from this only cigar smoking place. Just do enjoy your cruise. A Seabourn cruise is such a great experience that no one should let such a minor subject become a big issue.

This said. The non-smokers, especially all my great American friends, really make me smile with their talking about health issues. As far as I know, the largest tobacco companies are US companies. If the health of human beings is of such great importance to Americans, why do they not have legislation passed in their country to prohibit US companies from dealing in tobacco products? I just wonder. And do not get upset: I love this great country of yours and I have plenty of wonderful American friends. And one last remark: Have you ever been to Branson, MO? If not, go. It is a real American place. I always love to go back there and visit. And yes, smoking is restricted there too. :-)

How true.

I see a slogan coming on.

Smoking - " A custom loathsome to the eye, hateful to the nose,harmful to the brain,dangerous to the lungs ......" James 1 of England 1604.

Four hundred years later and still some people don't get it. Why don't the advocates of smoking give us a break by exercising some self-abnegation.

Certainly the Observation Lounge would be a good place to start.

And how about Seabourn stepping up to the plate and making adequate and comfortable provision for smokers such that non smokers are not affected. It aint rocket science.

And don't forget what Douglas Adams said " If we see you smoking we will assume you are on fire and take appropriate action"

Have to agree with MarianH in that the Observation Lounge should be smoke free, and even more that it would be a fantastic idea to allocate a room with quickly self-closing door, preferably well away from everywhere else, which smokers could use. I would infinitely prefer the ships to be non-smoking, but am fair minded enough to see that there are still a few smokers around, and it is at present a legal activity. They might not like a little 'ghetto' to smoke in, but as hardly anyone indulges now I feel they should have to put up with it.

I hope this will not attract any of the usual ire from the ardently smoking and ditto non-smoking lobbies.

Have to agree with MarianH in that the Observation Lounge should be smoke free, and even more that it would be a fantastic idea to allocate a room with quickly self-closing door, preferably well away from everywhere else, which smokers could use. I would infinitely prefer the ships to be non-smoking, but am fair minded enough to see that there are still a few smokers around, and it is at present a legal activity. They might not like a little 'ghetto' to smoke in, but as hardly anyone indulges now I feel they should have to put up with it.

I hope this will not attract any of the usual ire from the ardently smoking and ditto non-smoking lobbies.

Just to expand a bit. I had in mind something rather more grand and sociable in true Seabourn style. For example a designated area on one deck of each ship , kitted out to be accommodating and comfortable so that smokers could enjoy a relaxing puff or two shielded from the elements or al fresco if they so desired. There would appear to be opportunities on all Seabourn vessels to accomodate such a facility with a natural "cordon sanitaire" sufficient to ensure that the impact on non-smokers would be minimised.

OK this modification would cost Seabourn a dollar or two; but I am sure the payback would be quick and substantial.

Orpington, what I meant by "give it a try", was having certain suites or decks designated smoking. This was suggested in a previous thread.

As far as MarianH's suite smelling, yes that is unacceptable. I would have requested a deep cleaning or moved to another suite. In fact, I would have insisted on it. Why this issue was not addressed and resolved while on board I do not know. Perhaps MarianH will enlighten us on what steps she took to correct this problem.

Ramses - you may not have been told there was a problem by smoking cigars on deck 7outside, but I have certainly smelt the smoke when enjoying outdoor lunch at the Colonnade on deck 8. I didn't say anything, knowing that the smoking there was allowed, but it it still not ideal, I am afraid, and of course does not go very well with a meal!

Why didn't we ask to be moved? We had been told that our cruise was completely full, which the room steward confirmed, so asking to be moved seemed pointless. We asked her if there was anything she could do to eliminate the smell and she replied that they had a special process that would take care of it. That afternoon the smell was greatly reduced, but by evening it was back again. Not wanting to be too demanding we only asked for the room to be treated twice during the trip, each time it helped temporarily. The previous occupants must have smoked like chimneys.

I don't like to spend my vacation complaining, especially if there is nothing they can really do about it. I guess I tend to 'vote with my hat'. In other words, probably won't use SB for the next cruise unless there is a super bargain or they change the smoking policy.

I am a heavy cigar smoker. I have been on the Odyssey for 180 days within the last 18 months. We will add another 60 days on the Odyssey in early 2012. Never had any problem with the non-smokers as I restrict myself to deck 7 aft on the starboard side (the only place on the bigger Seabourn ships where cigar smoking is allowed). If you feel like joing me, you are cordially invited to have a chat with me. If you feel like avoiding me, stay away from this only cigar smoking place. Just do enjoy your cruise. A Seabourn cruise is such a great experience that no one should let such a minor subject become a big issue.

This said. The non-smokers, especially all my great American friends, really make me smile with their talking about health issues. As far as I know, the largest tobacco companies are US companies. If the health of human beings is of such great importance to Americans, why do they not have legislation passed in their country to prohibit US companies from dealing in tobacco products? I just wonder. And do not get upset: I love this great country of yours and I have plenty of wonderful American friends. And one last remark: Have you ever been to Branson, MO? If not, go. It is a real American place. I always love to go back there and visit. And yes, smoking is restricted there too. :-)

How can someone who comes from such a beautiful country as Switzerland where the air is so pure pollute it with cigar smoke ? I am an ex smoker and now can not abide the smell of cigarette smoke. Cigars and pipes have always made me feel ill. I will be able to smell your cigar smoke no matter where you are on the ship. Why don't you be considerate and leave your cigars at home and let us all have a smoke free and healthy cruise.

Ramses - you may not have been told there was a problem by smoking cigars on deck 7outside, but I have certainly smelt the smoke when enjoying outdoor lunch at the Colonnade on deck 8. I didn't say anything, knowing that the smoking there was allowed, but it it still not ideal, I am afraid, and of course does not go very well with a meal!

Lincslady. I do agree 100% that whoever decided that deck 7 aft just below the Colonnade should be the cigar smoking spot was not very considerate. I enjoy smoke free meals as much as I love my cigar after the meal.

Why not allow smoking on the highest deck? This way it will not bother anyone above them?

Maybe one day some smart person of Seabourn will find an answer to this very true and simple question.

Besides: Even as a smoker I do not understand Seabourns policy to allow smoking anywhere inside the ship. And yes, I do hate the smoke in the observation bar too. :-)

Somehow hotels manage to have smoking and non smoking rooms. Maybe they can't fill every request, but surely every trip has at least half non smokers, so having some non smoking rooms set aside would be a big step in the right direction.

I can avoid smoking areas, but when your room smells there isn't much you can do.

merryecho, I am so sorry. That is just awful. I don't blame you for not wanting to use Seabourn. There should be something that they can do for odors. What if someone became violently ill all over the suite????? Would the next passenger have to smell it???? That's really disgusting.

PS: On another luxury line, our sofa smelled like perfume. Obviously someone must have spilled the entire bottle. I reported it and the next day the odor was eliminated.

You certainly have to wonder what brain dead person devised the smoking areas on Seabourn

Observation Bar

Balconies

and below the Colonade

Seems you cannot peacefully have a drink

read a book

eat a meal outside

without the risk of being engulphed by someones smoking habit

As said all it needs is a designated indoor room as on Regent or outside right at the very back of the ship where it wont bother anyone

PS: On another luxury line, our sofa smelled like perfume. Obviously someone must have spilled the entire bottle. I reported it and the next day the odor was eliminated.

I was spilled a Gin & Tonic ocer our sofa. Wonder what the next occupant thought. :)

As a non-smoker, personally do not have any problem with the existing Seabourn smoking policy....I would guess, based on the following, that most Seabourn passengers do not also and why it continues as such. From 2010:

During a recent survey of its’ clients Seabourn concluded that:

• 91% of clients are extremely satisfied with all Seabourn ships and services.
  • 82% of those clients are likely to re-book a Seabourn cruise.
  • 81% of them say they would definitely recommend a Seabourn cruise to a family or friend.

Neophytus,

And I bet none or very few of the people in the above poll post on CC.

FYI, the "poll" above does NOT reflect what people think about the smoking policy onboard Seabourn...the OP forgot to post his as well his "pom poms" as a "Cheerleader"!:rolleyes:

FYI, the "poll" above does NOT reflect what people think about the smoking policy onboard Seabourn...the OP forgot to post his as well his "pom poms" as a "Cheerleader"!:rolleyes:

Well if it isn't the former HAL4ME..then SEABOURN4ME..and now disguised as LUXURIOUS posting again :eek:....your user names indicate who the real "Cheerleader" is. :rolleyes:

Lots of Seabourn opinions on your part, but since you've never set foot on a Seabourn ship, they're meaningless.

:)

Well if it isn't the former HAL4ME..then SEABOURN4ME..and now disguised as LUXURIOUS posting again :eek:....your user names indicate who the real "Cheerleader" is. :rolleyes:

Lots of Seabourn opinions on your part, but since you've never set foot on a Seabourn ship, they're meaningless.

Aaah, that explains a lot! I'd wondered where HAL4ME had got to! I hadn't realised he'd had two new incarnations in the past two weeks or so :D I should have been able to match the tetchiness to the new poster!

Luxurious / SEABOURN4ME / HAL4ME, as you've posted elsewhere that you've done 167 cruises (presumably segments?) with RCCL, do you have other incarnations, e.g. RCCL4ME? You obviously have a wealth of experience of cruising, but from most of your posts, sadly, you don't seem to have enjoyed a lot of it.

I'm new-ish to the forum, and lurk more than I post, but when I do (until this post) I do try to think if what I am going to post is going to wind up someone else, and if I think it will I will reword or not post. Have you considered this approach? It results in some charming, informative and generally pleasant responses, I can recommend it :)

With regard to the smoking (the OP, anyone remember that?) I appear to be with the majority on the forum in that I prefer to be in a smoke-free environment, but accept that it is not simple, or probably reasonable, to expect someone to just 'stop' for the duration of their cruise. So, provision of designated areas is sensible, but they really should be where there is least intrusion on the majority of non-smokers. I am NOT suggesting that all smokers should be relegated to some ghetto in the worst corner of the ship, but smoking in an open bar should not be allowed. On the Princess and Cunard ships I've sailed there has been a 'cigar' room or similar with an airtight door where the smokers congregated. I'm sure this could be adopted or adapted on other ships.

Archived