Smoking ?

phillipahain

• 4 months later...
Everyone knows that inhaling smoke even other peoples kills you !

Every time I walk past the Sky bar I have to inhale 2nd hand smoke .

When are Seabourn going to ban smoking on board ??:(

Every time .... hmmmm - wouldn't the first time you walked by have told you that it's a smoking area and if you don't like it - avoid it!?????

As a non-smoker and avid hater of second hand smoke, I am pleased to say that the few smoking on the Seabourn Quest were not a problem for us - there are so few places smokers can "officially" smoke, so leave them to it. And enjoy all the beautiful places which are smoke-free.

Every time .... hmmmm - wouldn't the first time you walked by have told you that it's a smoking area and if you don't like it - avoid it!?????

As a non-smoker and avid hater of second hand smoke, I am pleased to say that the few smoking on the Seabourn Quest were not a problem for us - there are so few places smokers can "officially" smoke, so leave them to it. And enjoy all the beautiful places which are smoke-free.

Fairbourne - couldn't have put it better myself. :)

Just a legal question which has sprung to mind on the smoking issue if anyone knows the answer

If the ship is in a country's territorial waters and that country bans smoking in public places and work places does this ban apply to the ship whilst in those waters?

Every time I walk past the Sky bar I have to inhale 2nd hand smoke .

When are Seabourn going to ban smoking on board ??:(

In fact, smoking is not allowed at the Sky Bar when food is being served, so none at lunch times, or Sky Grill nights - and at other times only on the starboard side of the deck.

I am not a smoker, but really, the smoking that did go on was not an issue. And it is quite breezy on deck so very easy to avoid smoke, which is disipated rapidly. Furthermore, as I have said before, people who run cars are responsible for pumping more carcinogens into the air than smokers are.

Orpington.

Yes! Spot on. Its one of the few 'policies' that Seabourn HAS got right. Furthermore there are no cars allowed in the suites, nor on the balconies.

Shame the ban does not extend to windbags, bores, serial-complainers and fashion victims. No avoiding them on Seabourn's decks, I'm afraid.

We were told as the ships were being built that the new ships would NOT have smoking in the cabins. And safety I tems as well a 0 for both. Hand rails are not installe correct no automatic door openers. Have you ever opend the door to the pool? Th company know of all these problems but they are etting them slide threw. Let some break a hip and you will see them fixed. If a fire started in a cabin they would change that as well. As for the smoking there are a few passengers who stay on for months at a time who are big time smokers, I guess if they were aske not to smoke they would jump ship. Most people know who I am talking about.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started researching this cruise line. The smoking in cabins is unreal to me especially if allowed on both sides of the ship. Additionally, doesn't anyone worry about the safety issue? I mean too much champagne and then falling asleep with a cigarette! This cruise line is out for me due to this, plus I didn't realize they were owned by Carnival which is another negative for me. Too bad it sounds like the service and food are great but I'm going to look at Regent and Azamara instead.

I want our next cruise to be luxury or semi luxury but this line doesn't sound like they put safety first which is far and away the most important!!

I am now on the Quest.

Between 18:30 and 19:15 or so each evening and on this segment (CPT to Sing) of the world cruise, there are 3-4 smokers at the far starboard side of this beautiful and popular bar. But unless there is a large crowd (more than 50 or so), virtually everyone is on the port side- as far away as they can get from these smokers.

It's obvious from the smell that during this slot there is no special equipment in place or any effort by staff to dissipate the smoke. It just hangs there until the air-conditioning has an affect. For me it's sickening on that side of the room and at the 12 seater U-shaped bar. I wonder how the staff and excellent pianist cope as they are exposed to it all the time.

When, oh when, will Seabourn wake up to common-sense health standards and apply them to the Observation Bar?

Happy inhaling wherever you are!

I am now on the Quest.

Between 18:30 and 19:15 or so each evening and on this segment (CPT to Sing) of the world cruise, there are 3-4 smokers at the far starboard side of this beautiful and popular bar. But unless there is a large crowd (more than 50 or so), virtually everyone is on the port side- as far away as they can get from these smokers.

It's obvious from the smell that during this slot there is no special equipment in place or any effort by staff to dissipate the smoke. It just hangs there until the air-conditioning has an affect. For me it's sickening on that side of the room and at the 12 seater U-shaped bar. I wonder how the staff and excellent pianist cope as they are exposed to it all the time.

When, oh when, will Seabourn wake up to common-sense health standards and apply them to the Observation Bar?

Oh Markham I'm with you - I wish they would ban smoking in all inside spaces - you would think wouldn't you if there are only 3 or 4 smokers vs all the others in there that someone would think, well maybe we need to address this?! It's absolutely ridiculous. I can't imagine for one moment that they could think that all the others don't mind the smoke!

Happy fresh air day to you! ;):D

I am now on the Quest.

So sorry for you. That cruise must have attracted a lot of smokers. Our last two and especially the Odyssey from LA to Sydney had limited outside smokers and we rarely went to Observation Bar (inside part) so didn't see much. Several posters have said there are only three tables there that you can smoke and when smokers are there it doesn't really seem noticeable. I beg to differ. We WERE there one night and one table had two smokers and I was 1/3 of the room away and it was offensive. We left.

Spotted you are on line as I am - how was your anniversary dinner? :D

Back on topic - we were not bothered at all by smokers on the Quest TA or at least we knew where they were so avoided them (only when they were smoking!)

Wonderful but not as good as Seabourn! We also are on diets big time and heading to Florida in a week...we refer to it as going to the "fat farm".

And as for the smoking on Odyssey I felt like you....on Quest. Both were similar cruises with the similar amount of smokers and really nice mix of guests. We always avoid. I think I am going to have to start unpacking so I can pack again

Azamara has the best smoking policy going. Smoking is permitted in ONE corner area starboard on the pool deck. And Celebrity isn't far behind.

If SB isn't going to banish cig smoking in the Observation Lounge, they should invest in a good HEPA/VOC air cleaner! But really! Banish smoking there! If one needs a smoke, for goodness' sake there's a simple solution! One just excuses oneself and steps outside for that, sparing almost everyone else in the lounge and thus allowing all to check out/enjoy the entertainment.

So SB, put that in your pipe and smoke it! :D

If SB isn't going to banish cig smoking in the Observation Lounge, they should invest in a good HEPA/VOC air cleaner! But really! Banish smoking there! If one needs a smoke, for goodness' sake there's a simple solution! One just excuses oneself and steps outside for that, sparing almost everyone else in the lounge and thus allowing all to check out/enjoy the entertainment.

Eminently reasonable. It is a source of constant amazement to me that smokers who frequent the Observation lounge are so insensitive to or choose to ignore the adverse health and other effects their personal gratification has on the majority of others in the room. It cannot be that they act in ignorance. Perhaps one or two would care to share their justification for such antisocial behaviour on this thread . It's not that I am against smoking per se. But a smoker's right to indulge him/herself should not trump my ( and the majority of others ) right to clean air. Nor my opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of the Observation Lounge in comfort and without risking my health.

And let's not forget Roy Castle.

Eminently reasonable. It is a source of constant amazement to me that smokers who frequent the Observation lounge are so insensitive to or choose to ignore the adverse health and other effects their personal gratification has on the majority of others in the room. It cannot be that they act in ignorance. Perhaps one or two would care to share their justification for such antisocial behaviour on this thread . It's not that I am against smoking per se. But a smoker's right to indulge him/herself should not trump my ( and the majority of others ) right to clean air. Nor my opportunity to enjoy the pleasures of the Observation Lounge in comfort and without risking my health.

And let's not forget Roy Castle.

Seabourn will be following HAL's policy I am sure whereby smoking in cabins will not be allowed of this January. Let's see if they ristrict ONE area and one area only of the ship for smokers.

Archived