Smoking ?

phillipahain

Seabourn will be following HAL's policy I am sure whereby smoking in cabins will not be allowed of this January. Let's see if they ristrict ONE area and one area only of the ship for smokers.

As I have opined elsewhere on this site, I believe it would be an excellent idea for Seabourn to provide a good size,well furnished and provisioned room specifically dedicated for smokers. In this way , people who want to could smoke to their hearts content without affecting others and vice versa! There surely are suitable areas on their ships and the cost should not be disproportionate. In fact this could be cost effective in retaining Seabourn's current customer base and be an attractive selling point for smokers .

Some may find the scent of cigarette smoke in a hallway or on deck unpleasant, but this no way equates to damaging second hand smoke. The observation lounge is trickier as it is a public, indoor space. However, non-smokers can enjoy the Club smoke free, while smokers are relegated to a small corner of the observation lounge.

The bigger ships have enough room to accommodate both smokers and non-smokers in comfort without turning one group into pariahs and the other into intolerant louts.

Smoke does not bother me, but perfume and the smell of those coveted Hermes soaps sends me into fits of sneezing. I simply keep quiet and steer clear of the overdosed whenever possible.

The world is a big, diverse place that we all enjoy exploring.

Have to agree with MarianH - a special room for smokers please. I think it is a bit unfair to expect them to be able to smoke only out of doors - the weather is not invariably wonderful - but do intensely dislike being in the Observation Lounge, otherwise a super room, when there are smokers present. However, not so long ago the Club in the little ships was half and half smoking and non-smoking, which was really aggravating in such a small but pleasant venue, so that at least is an improvement.

Do have to agree also that smoking should be banned in suites, being a possible fire hazard as well as not too pleasant for near neighbours at times.

Breneke,

Are you suggesting that just because the Odyssey/Sojourn/Quest clubs are smoke free that it's OK for the Observation Bar, another indoor space popular with passengers is somehow OK as a smoking venue when at most fewer than 10 smokers pollute the air with carcinogens obliviously- at the expense of up to 70 passengers and staff?

If so, then I beg to disagree with the the premise I imagine you have: that it's somehow good public policy to accommodate smokers among nonsmokers in a confined indoor area in 2012. To my mind it is selfish to the majority when those smokers can take their cigarettes outside and thereby spare everyone else their smoke.

Happy breathing to all those indoors!

How disappointing that no one has come forward to try to justify the antisocial practice of smoking in the Observation lounge.

But maybe not surprising as it is of course not possible to justify the unjustifiable.

Unless someone would care to try. Any takers?

" A recent study from the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that secondhand smoke can make it harder for smokers to kick the habit. Researchers say that secondhand smoke triggers nicotine cravings and directly alters brain function, similar to actually smoking a cigarette. If secondhand smoke has such a powerful effect on smokers, then what does it do to those who aren’t even lighting up?"

On Princess and Cunard I have seen a 'Cigar Room' on the ships which is small, pleasantly furnished in a 'gentlemen's club' sort of way, and seriously airconditioned with heavy doors, almost like an air-lock! All smokers (not just cigar smokers, although they could purchase cigars, some of which were apparently very fine, and very expensive!) were welcome.

So it could be done on Seabourn, with a small 'sealed' room for smokers, and a designated area of the deck.

I really think smoking should be banned in the suites, and probably on the verandas, for safety reasons if nothing else. It would save on the cost of the 'deep cleaning' needed after heavy in-suite smokers too!

" A recent study from the U.S. National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) found that secondhand smoke can make it harder for smokers to kick the habit. Researchers say that secondhand smoke triggers nicotine cravings and directly alters brain function, similar to actually smoking a cigarette. If secondhand smoke has such a powerful effect on smokers, then what does it do to those who aren’t even lighting up?"

Further food for thought? Secondhand smoke is classed as a Group A human carcinogen by the EPA. Perversely, secondhand smoke contains four times the toxin amounts that the smoker inhales. A burning cigarette sends half its smoke directly into the environment, the other half being filtered by the cigarette and the smokers lungs before being exhaled. Tobacco smoke contains around 4000 chemicals of which around 60 are known to cause cancer. It also contains radioactive materials - lead 210 and associated polonium 210. These radioactive materials accumulate as hotspots in the lung and deliver locally high doses of radiation due mainly to alpha particles. Alpha particle radiation is particularly dangerous in the lung and is know to cause lung cancer.

Why would otherwise civilised , educated and oft times very pleasant smokers in the Observation Lounge choose to inflict this potential risk on others?

I am not being alarmist; but merely trying to stimulate some input from smokers into this discussion.

On Princess and Cunard I have seen a 'Cigar Room' on the ships which is small, pleasantly furnished in a 'gentlemen's club' sort of way, and seriously airconditioned with heavy doors, almost like an air-lock! All smokers (not just cigar smokers, although they could purchase cigars, some of which were apparently very fine, and very expensive!) were welcome.

So it could be done on Seabourn, with a small 'sealed' room for smokers, and a designated area of the deck.

This is just what I had in mind. In fact I have in the past used the "Cigar Rooms" on Cunard and I have to say the experience was very pleasant. A great way of spending time having a drink , a smoke and stimulating conversation in convivial surroundings with like minded fellow cruisers. And without impacting at all on other passengers.

Far more cruise passengers, with Seabourn in the top ranks, have died or are slowly dying as a result of overeating than lung cancer,by either first hand or second hand smoke. The overwhelming majority are retired seniors on government provided medical plans carelessly gorging themselves while bankrupting the Medicare and NHS systems at the expense of taxpayers,the young, the healthy and the nutrition minded.

Far more cruise passengers, with Seabourn in the top ranks, have died or are slowly dying as a result of overeating than lung cancer,by either first hand or second hand smoke. The overwhelming majority are retired seniors on government provided medical plans carelessly gorging themselves while bankrupting the Medicare and NHS systems at the expense of taxpayers,the young, the healthy and the nutrition minded.

Could you please supply your data, facts and statistics?:rolleyes:

Some people - including me - have been banging on about this topic for quite a time. However, being fair to everyone, including the few smokers, the idea of a special room for them does seem reasonable, IMO.

I can't help but think that the powers that be must be at least thinking along these lines by now - or am I being completely naive? And surely also realising that now is the time to ban smoking in suites, as has happened on other lines.

And your point is?

So far as I am aware there are no documented cases of overeaters damaging fellow passengers. Unless one of them has fallen on a fellow passenger, in which case please advise.

And your point is?

So far as I am aware there are no documented cases of overeaters damaging fellow passengers. Unless one of them has fallen on a fellow passenger, in which case please advise.

Exactly and I am sure Neopyhtus in spite of himself, is neither a cleric nor an educator and one would be well advised to ignore such rubbish as is spouted by this poster!

We have just returned from 17 days on the Sojourn which was our first Seabourn cruise after several with Regent. Prior to the cruise we, like many others, were quite concerned about the liberal smoking policy. As it turned out it was neither worse nor better than expected, but clearly any non-smoking passenger's experience will solely be dependent upon luck and the placement of smokers relative to one's cabin.

There were not many smokers on this cruise but certainly enough to be noticeable. The stairs at deck 6 and 5 frequently smelled of cigarette smoke and deck 9 near the SkyBar was almost always quite smoky. The good news is that these areas could easily be avoided. Unfortunately, smokers discovered the Observation Lounge at about day 14 making what had previously been our favorite late evening haunt virtually uninhabitable. Seabourn really needs to change this policy as the exposure to such unpleasantness goes a long way toward negating an otherwise exceptional exprience.

Seabournaddict is right. We recently did a 22 day cruise on the Legend and the Sky Bar was not at all pleasant when there were smokers present. I know that they are only permitted on the starboard side of the bar but if the wind is blowing from that direction it makes the area unusable for me. Same issue in the Observation Lounge but not so bad.

Archived