Picky eater!!! NCL Epic or Oasis of the Seas

Is there a pasta dish on the nightly menu?

Yes there is a pasta dish almost every evening and in the "always available" section of the menu there is a basic "pasta with marinara sauce".:) If all else fails, I believe mac and cheese is a staple of the kids' menu.:)

LOL....try being a vegetarian who doesn't eat onions, shrooms or peppers! My wife says I'm the worlds worst vegetarian. Seriously though....I always manage to find enough to eat on our cruises. True, dinner is my least favorite cruise meal but I usually end up eating pasta of some sort. Have always lost a little weight every cruise, but have never been unhappy or in danger of starving. I guess my main meal would be the salad-bar at lunchtime.

If you're BF is a picky eater, he should not be cruising at all. He can always bring a private chef on the cruise.

And yes, he should Man Up and learn to accept what's available on the ship. Swimming to your local BURGER KING is not possible on a cruise vacation.

What kind words for the OP`s boyfriend , you should all be ashamed of yourselves . You know which ones you are , not the helpful ones, the ones with nothing good to say. The world is truly becomong a sad place.

What ever happened to .... if you have nothing good to say , then say nothing at all. It`s too easy to be ignorant over the internet .

have a nice day !

What kind words for the OP`s boyfriend , you should all be ashamed of yourselves . You know which ones you are , not the helpful ones, the ones with nothing good to say. The world is truly becomong a sad place.

What ever happened to .... if you have nothing good to say , then say nothing at all. It`s too easy to be ignorant over the internet .

have a nice day !

Its a few jokes, chill out,

However, I found many foods to my liking on Oasis; e. g. many salads, vegetarian dishes (thankfully, minus tofu!), lots of fresh fruit, etc.

Your boyfriend may well be a super-taster. There is some science behind so-called "picky" eaters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2880471.stm

Thanks for that website - I went right into the kitchen and splashed blue dye on my tongue!:D I always knew I could taste preservatives, etc that my DH could not! I am a supertaster.

However, I think maybe the OP's BF sounds like more of an "unadventurous" eater.:) I have a BIL that mainly eats just white & brown foods. (At least that is what I tell him!:D) Meat & potatoes kind of guy.

I LOVE to try new things-new textures-new ideas! Love the whole "fusion" thing.

I think both lines will give him decent alternatives. NCL has Blue Lagoon and RC has JR. Those both sound like his kind of menus. :)

I am definitely a super-taster and can taste things others cannot, such as preservatives, dyes, etc. My mother could as well. Not surprisingly, my sense of smell is very precise and super-sensitive.

Perhaps OP's boyfriend is not an adventuresome eater simply because he IS a super-taster. He should eat what HE wants and not try to please others.

LOL! He eats basically any plain chicken dish (breaded, grilled) tacos, spaghetti with meatball or meat sauce, caesar salads, buffalo chicken salads, PIZZA.....PIZZA....did I mention pizza? I think we will be fine finding something he will like. I was just concerned with the main dining room options.

there is chicken and a pasta and marinara available on the alternate menu which they have every night.

Your boyfriend may well be a super-taster. There is some science behind so-called "picky" eaters.

I forgot that there is now an official medical condition/illness/disease/ect created to take the blame for anything we need it to

I wonder if they can collect disablity????

To the OP - there's also the option to not in the MDR every night, if nothing works for your boyfriend some nights. We came back from the Celebrity Century a few months ago. Many of their main dishes were a bit fancy for my tastes, and we found that the late seating in Alaska was a bit too late for us Floridians! We ate 4 of our dinners in their cafe - comparable to RCCL's Windjammer - and never felt that we lost something by doing so. The cafe's buffet gave us the flexibility to eat meals when we wanted that happily met our tastes and cravings. :)

(For the record, we've been religious about eating dinner in the MDR on every other cruise that we've taken....go figure!) :p

LOL! He eats basically any plain chicken dish (breaded, grilled) tacos, spaghetti with meatball or meat sauce, caesar salads, buffalo chicken salads, PIZZA.....PIZZA....did I mention pizza? I think we will be fine finding something he will like. I was just concerned with the main dining room options.

Unfortunately, I eat like this and so do my kids! You will have no problem eating. They always had pasta for my son and they always have chicken tenders and/or a plain chicken breast.

Remember, if he doesn't like something he can ask for something different or he can order something he knows he will like and something new to try. I liked trying new foods without worrying about not liking it.

Is there really Mac & Cheese on the kids' menu?

I thought so, and on the Serenade I requested Mac & Cheese one night in the MDR. Our waiter said it wasn't on the kids' menu and he couldn't get it for me. :confused:

Another question: Is there a white sauce similar to Alfredo that you can get on the pasta (instead of Mariana sauce) in the MDR?

To the OP - As has been pointed out there are quite few options available on larger ships for your boyfriend.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2880471.stm

From everything I've read the "super tasters" or picky eaters have under developed palates.

Gosh heart attack on legs. Try and re educate him!!

:eek:

Nothing worse than a guy who is fussy eater.

You need tell him to "man-up" or get a new boyfriend..

In the end you can always find something on the ship or he can run to "Mcdonalds' in port..

True about a partner who is difficult to feed or dine out with, not something I would have patience with; but I don't think the OP was particularly looking for relationship advice from us.

Most of these choices sound unhealthy and are processed foods. Perhaps you both can see this as a great opportunity to broaden his horizon, try new foods! I mean what better opportunity to try new foods but on a cruise ship where most of the dining venues are included in the cost of the ship. You can always ask the waiter to bring another dish if he finds he doesnt like what he tries.......After all, RCI is not serving poison in their main dining room. My sister in law used to be a Pizza girl and was intimidated by different foods...now after several cruises and a husband that likes to eat good food... she loves most all food.

I am not trying to be a Troll here .........However, one can eat foods like pizza, tacos and processed foods for a long time...but at a certain age in life all the bad eating will eventually catch up and make you ill or unhealthy.

Hi!

We're considering between NCL Epic and RC Oasis of the Seas. I think they both look like great ships but the Oasis is stealing my heart... My only concern is my boyfriend is a very picky eater. Are there other options for him in the Main Dining Room? The 24/7 Pizza was my selling point for the NCL Epic...ha ha.

Any suggestions?

We've sailed on both - last August on the Epic and just returned from the Oasis. We felt the food on the Epic was better and there are a few good choices for alternate dining -"free" (included) on the Epic and Oasis. We didn't think the pizza on the Oasis was all that good - too thick of crust and soft. Epic was better. The Park Cafe on the Oasis has many good things for the picky or more "plain food" eater. There is always a steak or chicken on the menu in the MDR on both ships. It's hard to pick - but the Oasis is spectacular.

Archived