Pedicure Etiquette

spohttey

I am ashamed to admit that I don't know the proper etiquette for a second pedicure. I need your help. I have had maybe 8 or 10 pedicures in my 55 years. Last Christmas, DH gave me a gift card for 2 pedicures. Since my feet rarely see the light of day before Memorial Day, I waited until summer to take advantage of this lovely gift. I had the first pedicure a couple of weeks ago, in advance of a summer wedding that we were attending. My toes still look fabulous. I plan to get the second one next week, in advance of our Aug. 27 cruise on the Dream.

So, here's the question: am I supposed to take the old polish off before I go, or is that something that the nail technician ought to do? I don't want to cause her more work, especially if I'm "supposed" to do this myself.

You do not have to take off your polish before a pedicure or manicure... That's part of the package. :p

I just had a pedi yesterday and I had them do the callus treatment so they spent a little extra time making my feet super soft. It was lovely.

One thing I don't let the technician do is cut my cuticles - if you feel that way, you can ask that they just push them back.

Enjoy your pedicure!

Hi Spohttey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Personal Pampering !!

Pedicures are one of life's most wonderful luxuries... and a necesssary item to personal comfort, maintenance and healthy well-being.

Agree with the others, you can go with the polish on...

A Good Esthetician will give you an idea of how often you should come in for optimum foot health (differs per person, age etc) once or 2x a month seems to be the norm... some folks let it go a bit longer... as it isn't a cheap luxury for most folks (6 to 8 weeks in my mind would be the max depending on how quick your nails grow etc.)

You will certainly see a change in your foot health and comfort if you make it more of a priority / regular thing.

A Good Esthetician will also tell you that it isn't good to have nail polish on year-round... the nail bed needs a rest to breathe. I typically do that spring & fall (liking to have colour on summer & winter... one because my feet are more visible... and the other because it lifts my spirits considerably... Gold for New Years, Red for Valentines etc)

Infact picking polish colour is by far one the things I look forward to soooo much. Some Salons have contracts with particular providers (like OPI) and it is always fun to see what the newest shades are without having to commit to a whole bottle !!

Lol... if you think a regular pedicure is great try one that includes a foot / leg massage... or a paraffin treatment... takes a bit longer, and polish needs a lot longer to dry (the oils in the melted wax can slow down the process)... So it is good if your Salon has the drying machines... or a lounge where you can sit and relax to wyle away the time (mine offers massage chairs, magazines, an assortment of teas, and bottled waters).

Paraffin is absolute heaven... especially so for us older gals with more rough feet !!

Cheers!

Your fingernails and toenails are dead keratin cells, so I'm not sure how polish on top keeps your nail bed from "breathing".

I agree. There is nothing live to "breathe" there. Polish all the time will not hurt anything!

I get a pedicure about every 3 weeks year round and the massage is the best part!

Years ago, constant use of red shades would yellow your nail bed. But I keep my toes painted red almost year round and don't get any yellowing - either the base coats are better or the nail polish itself is better. They used to recommend that you change up colors or go bare for a while to clear the nail, but not any more.....

Agree that nails don't need to breathe:rolleyes: And if you're taking care of them regularly, you'll notice any possible changes in your nail bed (one reason not to wear polish all the time might be that you would miss changes in your nail bed if they're obscured by color.....)

Hi Spohttey,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Personal Pampering !!

Pedicures are one of life's most wonderful luxuries... and a necesssary item to personal comfort, maintenance and healthy well-being.

Agree with the others, you can go with the polish on...

A Good Esthetician will give you an idea of how often you should come in for optimum foot health (differs per person, age etc) once or 2x a month seems to be the norm... some folks let it go a bit longer... as it isn't a cheap luxury for most folks (6 to 8 weeks in my mind would be the max depending on how quick your nails grow etc.)

You will certainly see a change in your foot health and comfort if you make it more of a priority / regular thing.

A Good Esthetician will also tell you that it isn't good to have nail polish on year-round... the nail bed needs a rest to breathe. I typically do that spring & fall (liking to have colour on summer & winter... one because my feet are more visible... and the other because it lifts my spirits considerably... Gold for New Years, Red for Valentines etc)

Infact picking polish colour is by far one the things I look forward to soooo much. Some Salons have contracts with particular providers (like OPI) and it is always fun to see what the newest shades are without having to commit to a whole bottle !!

Lol... if you think a regular pedicure is great try one that includes a foot / leg massage... or a paraffin treatment... takes a bit longer, and polish needs a lot longer to dry (the oils in the melted wax can slow down the process)... So it is good if your Salon has the drying machines... or a lounge where you can sit and relax to wyle away the time (mine offers massage chairs, magazines, an assortment of teas, and bottled waters).

Paraffin is absolute heaven... especially so for us older gals with more rough feet !!

Cheers!

I'm sure there are some estheticians who also have a manicurist license, but most of them deal with skin care issues. They are seperate licenses, at least in the state of CA.

My manicurist (or you could call her a nail technician as she has far more training that what you get from manicuring school), does my pedicure every 4 weeks, year round. I wear polish year round...no problems whatsoever.

I no longer have the paraffin, it's pretty useless after you wash your feet the first time after, it's just a temporary waxy coating. She doesn't use the whirlpool baths as they are a great breeding ground for bacteria, the shop uses disposable liners in their baths. They also use disposable emery boards, foot files and sterilize every piece of non-disposable equipment. Manicuring tools can be filthy, so make sure your manicurist is using emery boards that have not been used on prior clients, they are not able to disinfect the board style emery boards.

The price is higher where I go than the typical nail salon that is owned and operated by Asians (not that all of those shops are not top notch). I'm just more comfortable with a place that puts public health and safety above making quck cash. Just because a shop looks clean does not mean it's not festering with bacteria, you have to watch their habits with their tools.

After having been in the beauty industry for many years, I have seen the reports of nail salons and the infractions they incur. Most of the infractions involve unlicensed operators, a pretty serious offense. Nail art is taught a bit in school, the main teaching is to identify nail diseases, sanitary methods and how to disinfect properly. They will also try to get away with using window cleaner as a disinfectant, rather than the normal quats prep that is standard. They should have a closed container of the blue stuff on their station, other tools should be in clean, closed containers unless being used.

The last time I went to the popular Asian nail salon close to home, I observed them washing their tools in plain water and merely spraying the pedi tub with a solution, not running a solution through the filters. The emery boards were well used, creepy. Not only that, I watched a girl refilling the polishes with polish thinner (probably why manis/pedis chipped within a week or so). They also trimmed my cuticles (a no-no) after I had asked them not to.

OK, off the soap box :rolleyes:

You should have stopped her from doing so, yes?

I did, although with the language barrier it took a few fingers. So I only had about 3 fingers with raggedy cuticles for a couple weeks. I'm typicallly not confrontational with people, but I had to use a very firm "no, please don't do that". I don't think she understood why I didn't want my cuticles trimmed.

:eek:A young lady once told me that she was going to get her first pedicure after work and realized that she had forgotten to shave her big toe! She asked if I knew the etiquette, but all I could do was laugh, as I never even realized that people had hair there.:eek:

Just 'cos you don't, RC.... ;):D

Yeah, when I was younger my dad used to tell me I had hobbit toes (short & hairy...) I don't think they're that hairy (or short - I'm only 5'5" - how long should my toes be??) But when I've had my legs waxed, they'll do the toes too. Added bonus I guess:p Because I never wax or shave them on my own.

Archived