Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?

CruiseAdict218

14 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

That was our impression, too.  We must have had a brochure or two, and been attracted to the exterior and size of Gruziya.  But even the brochure showed a rather plain interior, more like a college dorm, perhaps, than a ship as we know now.

Did you know Chandris had some interiors like that? I have a 1967 - 1968 brochure for the SS Regina and she had some of the most boring boring boring looking cabins I have ever seen, the ones shown in the brochure, there's not even pictures or art on the walls. just plain boring walls an terrible looking beds and very very little furniture. Ill have to take a photo and post them on my next post so can see what I mean.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

Very utilitarian looking decor which is what I saw when I visited Petropavlovsk during a shore excursion in 2002.  The view of a Lounge in the upper left corner picture shows a bit more color; looks interesting.  

I took 3 photos of my 1967-1968 Chandris SS Regina Brochure. The cabins are very non descriptive and the library on board, I've never seen such a huge library, it's almost as though it was amalgamated into the main lounge it's so big. The colors too inside, one cabin is gold and purple and the other is shades of green, and the library is colorful too as you'll see in these photos. As can see in photos #3 this is a giant library on board an lots of sitting areas. History of the ship:

Panama (1939–1941)

James Parker (1941–1946)

Panama (1946–1957)

President Hoover (1957–1965)

Regina (1965–1973)

Regina Prima (1973–1985)

Scrapped (1985)

Regina Gold And Purple.jpg

Regina Green Cabin.jpg

Regina Library.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently sitting next to an early Birthday present that arrived today, in the form of "FUNSHIP FREDDY" from Carnival!  I'm an Activities Director, or as I call it, just like on Carnival, "The Fun Squad".  Freddy will join me once I bring back virtual cruising for my seniors next year.  He will be like the "Elf On The Shelf", being hidden in various locations throughout my senior living community and he will get his picture taken.  The residents will then have to guess where he is.  He may be helping out the staff or he may be causing mischief.  Right now, he is starting his "Fun Squad" training and helping me load some new CDs onto my computer to use for "Name That Tune" with my residents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Recently got some new items for my collection. Got items from Carnival (It's a Funnel Shaped Drinking Cup and Piggy Bank, A Plastic Thermometer from the Festivale,  Cunard (found a rare Lp from it's Maiden with Black Cat Bones), A Metal Maiden Souvenir Tray for the Dawn Princess and a Cassette Tape for Royal Cruise Line. 

queen_elizabeth_2_record_album_by_wildelf34_defk4jm-fullview.jpg

carnival_funnel_bank_by_wildelf34_dbzgiv2-pre.jpg

deh0wtt-4c3e0e44-16ea-4e5b-bd7b-063849d5e862.jpg

dawn_princess_maiden_souvenir_by_wildelf34_dddb5n2-fullview.jpg

royal_cruise_line_cassette_by_wildelf34_d8wswgc-fullview.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, rkacruiser said:

I like that!  It's cute while being practical.  

mhm, it's all plastic, so im careful with it. Got some nice Epirotiki postcards, including the MTS Oceanos in happier days. A nice triangular ashtray, a souvenir scarf, a 1960's totebag which looks like crochet from one of the ship's gift shops. Also a neat scarf from Sunline with not only the funnel on it but the name of 3 ships listed. 

atlas_postcard_by_wildelf34_deij95i-pre.jpg

oceanos_postcard_by_wildelf34_debo58j-fullview.jpg

epirotiki_lines_ashtray_by_wildelf34_d969esw-fullview.jpg

d93bcnx-725bda2e-e12a-4251-b69e-735fc8bd04d6.jpg

epirotiki_lines_tote_bag_by_wildelf34_d9z4ljh-fullview.jpg

sunline_scarf_by_wildelf34_d941fei-pre.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 11:08 AM, shipgeeks said:

Norboy, I'm a sucker for scarves, so I really enjoyed your photos.  And you reminded me that I have a vintage Royal Caribbean scarf, which I will get out to wear on our next RC cruise.

I have some nice scarves in my collection. HAL, Princess, Sitmar, Paquet, Epirotiki, Sun Line, Royal Cruise Line and Polish Lines. Enjoy the scarf photos. The Sitmar photo got a lil cut, but there is a ship name on each corner: Fairsea, Fairwind, Fairsky *puts this scarf between 1971 - 1977*. The polish one in the frame is for the MS Batory. 

ss_nieuw_amsterdam_scarf_by_wildelf34_dbr1hlr-pre.jpg

ss_rhapsody_scarf_by_wildelf34_dab08o3-fullview.jpg

princess_cruises_scarf_by_wildelf34_d9wt4v6-fullview.jpg

d93bcxa-be93ada3-3f89-48b9-bf53-71195421d444.jpg

d8st6wx-dc6413ea-0fc5-41c2-977c-69ca2131ae93.jpg

d8st5oo-83638932-85b2-4cc7-9c91-40c2e440d340.jpg

• Like 2

just got a plethera of postcards added to my collection from white star line and Cunard, one is by a passenger that was on the Queen Mary's finale voyage. Some go back to the 1880s and 1890s, but thats not really cruise ships lol. Also got a Maiden Voyage postcard for the RMMV Britannic for the 1930's. Once take photos, Ill post if any interested in seeing some of these. 

• Like 2

The postcards came in, took me a while to sort 150 postcards into their right albums lol. Not many cruise ships though, mostly Cunard and White Star Line's going back to the 1880's. I did take photos of  a couple of my fave, including the QE2 being launched, the Queen Mary on her final cruise, Maiden Voyage of the RMMV Britannic, a nice postcard of the Queen Mary on *War Service*, a nice *photo postcard* of the Lancastria, and 2 really nice postcards for the Lusitania, one which I think might be on the rare side as it's not an illustration, but an actual photo of the Lusitania on the postcard postmarked on her first year of service 1907. Please Enjoy. (the first one is an actual photo postcard of the Lusitania). Does anyone know what a *Graving Dock* is? please look at the one Queen Elizabeth postcard. One postcard shows the Queen Mary but you will noticed she doesn't have her name yet, just a number. 

1907 Lusitania Postcard.jpg

Britannic Maiden Voyage 1930.jpg

Lancastria Photo Postcard.jpg

QE2 Launching Postcard.jpg

Queen Elizabeth Graving Dock.jpg

Queen Mary Final Voyage Postcard.jpg

Queen Mary War Service.jpg

Unposted Lusitania Postcard.jpg

Unnamed Queen Mary Postcard.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

RMMV Britannic

You have used this "RMMV" before to name the Britannic and it has puzzled me as to what it means.  I think I have figured it out:  Royal Mail Motor Vessel.  She had a sister. the Georgic.  Once had a brochure and deck plan for the Britannic and I really thought her interiors were elegant.  I wish I could have sailed on her.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 5:52 PM, rkacruiser said:

You have used this "RMMV" before to name the Britannic and it has puzzled me as to what it means.  I think I have figured it out:  Royal Mail Motor Vessel.  She had a sister. the Georgic.  Once had a brochure and deck plan for the Britannic and I really thought her interiors were elegant.  I wish I could have sailed on her.  

I do have 2 postcards and a unique military souvenir for the MV Georgic from 1946, which I'll post photos of.

The 2 postcards are easily dated by the funnels, masts and superstructure after being burned out and rebuilt.

2 Funnels: 1932 - 1944

1 Funnel: 1944 - 1956

MV Georgic Postcards.jpg

d8xjm37-77608219-127a-4c0f-bed1-b24b590e709d.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I'm waiting on some postcards which I'll happily post. One is interesting considering the ship caught fire and sank and became a very popular tourist dive location. One of the postcards is for the Ill-fated Costa MV Bianca C. which caught fire in 1961 and sank off Grenada. I was lucky to find a postcard postmarked the year of her final life. It's postmarked 1961, but I forget what month and the ship sank in October. When it arrives I'll be posting a photo of it as well as my other postcards.

• Like 1

Gotten quiet on the Memorabilia forum lol.

Anywhooo, my Costa Bianca C. postcard came in, it's dated February 3, 1961 and the ship would have an engine explosion, go up in flames and sink October 22, 1961. This was an unlucky ship as she suffered two fires in her life an explosion and a scuttling. She is now a very popular tourist dive attraction in Grenada. Sad to think 8 months after this postcard was posted, poof she'd go up in smoke. 

Bianca C Postcard.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Anywhooo, my Costa Bianca C. postcard came in, it's dated February 3, 1961 and the ship would have an engine explosion, go up in flames and sink October 22, 1961. This was an unlucky ship as she suffered two fires in her life an explosion and a scuttling. She is now a very popular tourist dive attraction in Grenada. Sad to think 8 months after this postcard was posted, poof she'd go up in smoke. 

An interesting read with a video about this ship can be found at www.scubadiving.com/history-grenadas-bianca-c-shipwreck

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

An interesting read with a video about this ship can be found at www.scubadiving.com/history-grenadas-bianca-c-shipwreck

Ty, I'll check it out, I'm also waiting on another ship postcard that ended up in flames, the Epirotiki Line's Pallas Athena. I have books on ship disasters, I can't believe how many in there are just fires. This Bianca C postcard was not an easy find, for some reason its not easy to find a postcard for this ship, not sure why. Course after checking an she only lasted with Costa 2 years, might be a reason, but still in 2 years you'd think there'd be more out there. 

Have a question for anyone that can help me with finding to me a postcard that I'm unsure was even made or can maybe help me find one as none on Ebay. Has anyone ever come across a TS Hanseatic postcard but the one that had the weird spaceship funnel? It used to be the TS Hamburg and later became the Maxim Gorkiy. I have a postcard as the Hamburg and Maxim, but for the life of me, I can't find one when she became the Hanseatic in 1973.

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Has anyone ever come across a TS Hanseatic postcard but the one that had the weird spaceship funnel

Have you tried the various maritime memorabilia dealers?  I will keep my eyes open for one; I'll let you know if I spot one.  

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Have you tried the various maritime memorabilia dealers?  I will keep my eyes open for one; I'll let you know if I spot one.  

I've tried Ebay, and a couple of online postcard dealers and nothing sadly. I don't know if they made one even, but hoping they did.

• Thanks 1

Today, I re-acquired a souvenir that I purchased when I was 13 years old in New York City at Pier 90 after visiting RMS Queen Mary on sailing day.  A multi-page photo booklet showing the public spaces in all 3 Classes of both Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth with a two page centerfold of excellent pictures of both ships.  The front and back covers art work are in color and show the two ships passing each other during their crossings.  The inside back cover has good photos of the other Cunard ships of that time:  Mauretania, Caronia, Britannic, and Media/Parthia along with the two Queens.  I recently re-acquired the deck plans for all 3 Classes for both of the Queens.  I lost all of these items and many, many others during a fire and have been slowly trying to re-acquire some of my favorites from that collection.  

A very high percentage of my former collection was acquired very, very inexpensively or were items I saved from my own sailings.  Needless to say, what I paid for this booklet was many times more than the 50 cents I paid for it in 1958.  But, it was wonderful to once again look at those pictures.  Such items helped to stoke my interest in crossings/cruisings.  They were the introduction to my addiction.  

• Like 1

Got 2 interesting postcards, one has taken me quite a while to even find it. Is anyone on the memorabilia forum from New Zealand? if so, then you'll recognize the ship on this postcard as she ended sadly in disaster in 1968. The postcard is for the *TEV Wahine*. 

The other postcard is an interesting one for Costa Cruises Linea C, the ship is Chandris' but with the funnel in the Costa colors with the *C* on the funnel. She was leased to Costa from 1980 - 1984.

Hope to hear back on thoughts of these 2 postcards. The Wahine has taken me maybe 4+ yrs to even find one from her. I will include a photo I found on the net of the disaster too.

First, the TEV Wahine in happier times. second is the disaster. 

TEV Wahine Postcard.jpg

wahine disaster.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, norboy76 said:

Got 2 interesting postcards, one has taken me quite a while to even find it. Is anyone on the memorabilia forum from New Zealand? if so, then you'll recognize the ship on this postcard as she ended sadly in disaster in 1968. The postcard is for the *TEV Wahine*. 

The other postcard is an interesting one for Costa Cruises Linea C, the ship is Chandris' but with the funnel in the Costa colors with the *C* on the funnel. She was leased to Costa from 1980 - 1984.

Hope to hear back on thoughts of these 2 postcards. The Wahine has taken me maybe 4+ yrs to even find one from her. I will include a photo I found on the net of the disaster too.

First, the TEV Wahine in happier times. second is the disaster. 

For some reason, it's not letting me upload my Amerikanis postcard from Costa, hopefully I'll be able to show it. I keep getting error message and as can see, this post doubles on me for some odd reason, I dunno why, but it will not let me download my Amerikanis postcard.

Edited by norboy76
updated info