Jump to content
,

Do you collect memorablia of Cruise Ships and such? - Care to share?


CruiseAdict218
 Share

Recommended Posts

Some recollections about Norway:

As mentioned, the dining rooms were beautiful.  Food and service were wonderful.

The aft sundeck was huge.

Two levels of promenade decks, one with large windows, and one open.

Several dance venues, all lovely.

A Broadway-style show was presented during each 7-night cruise.  Ours was "The Will Rogers Follies", starring Lorene Yarnell, who we met and talked with several times.

The two dining rooms, with adjacent galley, meant that one could not traverse the entire deck on that level.  We unexpectedly hit dead ends several times.

The very top deck, wide open around the funnel and the Norway signs, was a great place to see the sky and the sea.

Going ashore via tender gave us lots of water-level views of the ship, with all the rivets, the shape, and the enormity of it.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, shipgeeks said:

Going ashore via tender gave us lots of water-level views of the ship, with all the rivets, the shape, and the enormity of it.  

 

Wonderful memories!  The tenders were unique in themselves.  Housed and launched by cranes from the deck at the front of the ship.  Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2:  do you remember if that was their names?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2022 at 4:33 PM, rkacruiser said:

 

Wonderful memories!  The tenders were unique in themselves.  Housed and launched by cranes from the deck at the front of the ship.  Little Norway 1 and Little Norway 2:  do you remember if that was their names?  

Yes, I think you are correct.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do love ship memorabilia, especially menus, photos, and other items that take me back to earlier days on cruises.

I find it amusing to come across, usually in thrift stores, souvenir items from ports.  Ashtray/shot glass/salt shaker, "Souvenir of Aruba/Mexico/Margaritaville".  It seems that some people just have to buy things in all their ports; are they buying for themselves, or for their lucky in-laws?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I do love ship memorabilia, especially menus, photos, and other items that take me back to earlier days on cruises.

I find it amusing to come across, usually in thrift stores, souvenir items from ports.  Ashtray/shot glass/salt shaker, "Souvenir of Aruba/Mexico/Margaritaville".  It seems that some people just have to buy things in all their ports; are they buying for themselves, or for their lucky in-laws?

 

A traveling companion always tried to buy a small magnet that represented a port she had visited.  She was quite proud of her collection and her refrigerator was plastered with them.  When we visited a port in Greenland, there was only one gift shop and it was stuffed with fellow guests.  She disliked such a crowded situation.  She decided that she would not attempt to buy a magnet there and was disappointed.  I wanted nothing, but, I decided to join the mob and try to buy a magnet--if they had any.  They did; I bought; she was delighted.  

 

I used to buy stuff for me as well as gifts for others.  Some items that I bought, I am sure were appreciated by the recipients.  But, others?  Probably not.  Finally, I realized, why I am buying more dust collectors for me?  I hate dusting stuff.  Unless the item is something "really special", I buy little to nothing.  I am more likely to buy food/drink items than anything else during a port visit.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I thought might get a kick out of the craziest Cunard postcard I have ever seen, it's for the QE2, but it's the oddest postcard I have ever seen for Cunard. See what you think of this *Cartoon Postcard* and yes it was from aboard the ship as it has the QE2 stamp on the back saying posted onboard. Would love to hear back on this oddity, sadly I don't know what year this postcard is from as I can't find it anywhere.

QE2 Postcard Front.JPG

QE2 Postcard back.jpg

Edited by norboy76
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I don't know what year this postcard is from as I can't find it anywhere.

 

That is an oddity!  A bit of whimsy on the part of someone.  Date?  From the funnel colors, it was sometime after QE2's introduction into service when the funnel was painted in the traditional Cunard colors.  (Was the funnel modified at that time as well?)  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

 

That is an oddity!  A bit of whimsy on the part of someone.  Date?  From the funnel colors, it was sometime after QE2's introduction into service when the funnel was painted in the traditional Cunard colors.  (Was the funnel modified at that time as well?)  

the funnel was modified after the falkland war when she was converted to diesel engines.  the person I bought this from emailed me when I asked when this was from and was told late 1990's early 2000

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, norboy76 said:

the funnel was modified after the falkland war when she was converted to diesel engines.  the person I bought this from emailed me when I asked when this was from and was told late 1990's early 2000

 

I thought that I was correct remembering that the funnel had been modified, but didn't remember that it was due to a change in power plant.  Personally, I think she looked better after the new funnel was put in place and painted the proper Cunard colors.

 

I am glad you got an answer to when the card was produced.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello! I come to this forum only because I found a pack of playing cards in a box of my mother-in-law's things and I am hoping to find more information about them.  They seem really old (perhaps before rubberbands as they are tied with string LOL!)  Does anyone know anything about them or the cruise line?  Our family is fascinated to learn!

1655762468683980151571616048067.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check this website:  

 

www.gjenvick.com/OceanTravel/SteamshipLines/BalticAmericaLine.html

 

There appears to have been two companies with similar names:  Baltic America Line and Baltic American Line.  The playing cards appear to come from the first company.  

 

I hope this helps you.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Thought might like to enjoy seeing these 2 nice spoons. One is for the MV Georgic and it only shows the White Star Line flag, the other is for the MV Britannic and it shows both the Cunard and White Star Line flags.

MV Georgic Spoon.jpg

MV Britannic Spoon.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Experience more Co-op Holidays
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...