European Cruise

co2stay

Hi fabulous-wealth-of-knowledge peeps,

Am I making friends yet? :D

I just booked out first trip to Europe. While it is still 13 months away, I am beyond excited. I do not want to be that brash and stupid American!

We are going to Spain, France and Italy on the Liberty. We can speak some spanish (more the mexican type though) and no french or italian yet. We have phrase books and electronic translator, and learning tools to at least be respectful (please, thank you, bathroom, you know, the necessities).

Is traveling on the ship any different from a European port instead of a US port? Are the passengers any different other than we can expect more Europeans?

Anything we should watch for or watch out for?

Thank you in advance for sharing of knowledge!

Co2stay

I am leaving on this cruise next Saturday the 27th... I booked it last August when I was on the Jewel in the Baltics... At the time it seemed soooo far away... Am so excited... Will post when I return back home on Sept 5th with the latest info.....:D

IMHO is travel different yes, they speak a foreign language in the foreign port. But don't fret whether you speak a single word or not of the local language wasn't a barrrier to enjoying the ports. Passengers, expect unlike sailings from US to Mexico, Caribbean, Alaska expect many more foreigners on the ship as well. On our sailing something like 1/2 to 1/3 were Europeans.

Tips:

1) Pick the cruise and ships for the ports, hopefully that is the lineup you want. Line/cabin aren't important.

2) DIY or private is totally the way to go in Europe. Avoid the cruiseline tours if at all possible! Unless you like paying a lot and seeing the minimum.

3) Read the ports of call and start planning them excursions!

I just booked out first trip to Europe. While it is still 13 months away, I am beyond excited. I do not want to be that brash and stupid American!

We are going to Spain, France and Italy on the Liberty. We can speak some spanish (more the mexican type though) and no french or italian yet. We have phrase books and electronic translator, and learning tools to at least be respectful (please, thank you, bathroom, you know, the necessities).

Is traveling on the ship any different from a European port instead of a US port? Are the passengers any different other than we can expect more Europeans?

Co2stay

I went on the same/similar cruise you are. There are more Europeans on the ship, but everything on the ship is done in Europe. We sailed out of Barcelona and hit Italy and the South of France.

We did all the port days on our own (didn't do ship tours) and we didn't find the language barrier to be a significant issue.

IMHO is travel different yes, they speak a foreign language in the foreign port. But don't fret whether you speak a single word or not of the local language wasn't a barrrier to enjoying the ports. Passengers, expect unlike sailings from US to Mexico, Caribbean, Alaska expect many more foreigners on the ship as well. On our sailing something like 1/2 to 1/3 were Europeans.

Tips:

1) Pick the cruise and ships for the ports, hopefully that is the lineup you want. Line/cabin aren't important.

2) DIY or private is totally the way to go in Europe. Avoid the cruiseline tours if at all possible! Unless you like paying a lot and seeing the minimum.

3) Read the ports of call and start planning them excursions!

I don't know if you were joking here when referring to foreigners speaking a foreign language. I think you will find that you will be the foreigner speaking the foreign language.

If you go to any country and think of the locals as being the foreigners you are likely to get a very cool reception.

Embrace any differences you find. It is all part of travel.

We did several countries last summer via cruise ship

It will depend on the ship & sailings what nationalities you will find

Our passenger were mostly North Americans with some British & Australians

Most ports people spoke English if you go further afield you may have some problem with the language

There will not be "tour hawkers" at the dock like in the Caribbean ports so plan ahead..join the Roll Call for your cruise & maybe share private tours

When eating out check to see if the tip/service charge is included in the bill if so just round up to the nearest Euro

If not, tip accordingly

Do you research ahead of time so you know what to see & do that will interest you

Enjoy

Co2stay

Haha I love it! As being one of the 'other' i.e. an Australian on a Med cruise I completely understand (and appreciate) you not wanting to be a "brash and stupid American".

Private tours vs ships tours aside, if you can learn basic language skills i.e. please, thank you, where is the bathroom?, and numbers and actually use them while in restaurants, going on public transport, while walking around, shopping etc 90% of the time you will be fine.

Living in Europe for 2 years, it is clear that if you make an attempt to speak the language and assimilate into the culture, they will really appreciate it and help you. Again 90% of Europeans can speak some level of English, it is just whether they will or not.

Also, try to avoid looking like a tourist/ American. In the countries you have mentioned, esp in France and Italy, try and wear something a little more dressy (still comfortable) and hopefully you won't get targeted by pickpockets as they prey on brash Americans. P.S. high white socks with white trainers/runners/sand shoes are a dead give-away.

Med Cruise with Princess last year had many Americans and Canadians, a couple of Aussies and a number from Spain (our final port was Barcelona).

Hope this helps!

Archived