walking bridge in Miami

ampleiwb

Hi everyone!

Now before I ask I must preface this by saying I already have used the search engine on cc to look for my answer-but half the threads contradict the other half...soo....

Is it safe to walk the bridge at the port of Miami from Bayside to the Ships? Is there a pedestrian walkway or not? Is there a barrier between pedestrians and cars? And...does anyone have an aerial view picture that shows the walkway/lack of walkway?

Now-nevermind the weather-if its too hot we will for sure take a taxi-but I would like to know if walking is an option if its not too hot. We will each have 1 22' roller, and I will have a mini-backpack.

Thanks in advance!!

Hi everyone!

Now before I ask I must preface this by saying I already have used the search engine on cc to look for my answer-but half the threads contradict the other half...soo....

Is it safe to walk the bridge at the port of Miami from Bayside to the Ships? Is there a pedestrian walkway or not? Is there a barrier between pedestrians and cars? And...does anyone have an aerial view picture that shows the walkway/lack of walkway?

Now-nevermind the weather-if its too hot we will for sure take a taxi-but I would like to know if walking is an option if its not too hot. We will each have 1 22' roller, and I will have a mini-backpack.

Thanks in advance!!

If you see the bridge, you will change your mind. Taxis from most hotels are about $25 per cab (not per person). Many hotels have shuttles to the Port for about 10 bucks per person. Good investment if you want to arrive fresh and not tired out climbing up and down that bridge.

Yes you can walk and some do this but I would not and here is why; Miami has an unusually large number of illegal aliens and the worst drivers on the planet. They would just as soon hit you as not.

Also, it isn't illegal to not have car insurance and lots do not. I'd bet Miami has an abnormally large amount of pedistrian fatalities.

I can't remember but either FLAHAM or JohninDC and their significant other do this often. They can give you better advice.

I wouldn't even think of doing this. First all, the bridge is long and open and hot, and the distance to the cruise terminal is a LOT longer than it looks.

Secondly, I often do shows at the AA Arena at the foot of this bridge, and I will tell you that the traffic on this bridge is dangerous. The trucks carrying shipping containers from POM are paid by the number of loads they carry out, and they are determined to do as many as they can every day. They speed up and down this bridge with little regard for anything except getting one load done and getting back for another.

Bottom line: This bridge has a sidewalk, but I would NOT call it pedestrian friendly.

Yes, it IS safe to walk from Bayside over the bridge to the port. There is a crosswalk at the traffic light on the southeast corner of US1/Biscayne Blvd & Port Blvd, in front of Bayside, to the sidewalk in front of the American Airlines Arena (northeast corner of same intersection). The sidewalk adjacent to the arena and going over the bridge to the ships has a waist-high concrete barrier to protect pedestrians from traffic. The walk from Bayside across the bridge is less than 1 mile.

However, having luggage, coupled with our 90+ degree heat and high humidity lately, would not make for a pleasant walk!

While I agree Miami has a lot of bad drivers, the illegal alien comment above was stereotypical and a bit harsh. Out-of-towners not familiar with the area cause accidents too. By the way, Fort Lauderdale was recently rated as the #1 city in the US in pedestrian deaths. Miami was not on the list.

Taxis from most hotels are about $25 per cab (not per person). Many hotels have shuttles to the Port for about 10 bucks per person.

A taxi from most downtown Miami hotels to POM should only cost $10-12+tip -- if you paid $25 you were ripped off! :( Only MIA airport area hotels will arrange for a shuttle to POM for the $10 faqre cited above.

Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone..very helpful info! I think we will walk to and from bayside for dinner the nt prior to the cruise. from our hotel, the intercontinental. However, we will take a taxi from our hotel to the port the morning of the cruise. If we happen to see the walkway as we drive by and think its walkable, well there's always next year:))

Thanks everyone..very helpful info! I think we will walk to and from bayside for dinner the nt prior to the cruise. from our hotel, the intercontinental. However, we will take a taxi from our hotel to the port the morning of the cruise. If we happen to see the walkway as we drive by and think its walkable, well there's always next year:))

Here's two images I found showing the POM's Port Blvd Bridge and the walkway which is on the turning basin side of the bridge.

Looking towards port

POM_bridge.jpg

Looking back towards AA Arena and clock tower

pom_be.jpg

Looks like its pretty easy to access. At Bayside you cross Biscayne Blvd at Port Blvd (there's a stop light and cross walk) over to the American Airlines Arena side of the street then head up Port Blvd with the arena to your left, accessing the guarded walkway that crosses the Port Blvd bridge.

In the picture below you would be crossing the street right to left the head up Port Blvd alongside the arena

pom1.jpg

After you walk pass the backside of the American Airlines Arena (LEFT side of picture) the sidewalk turns into the bridge walkway (also on the LEFT side of the picture) crossing the bridge. The turning basin will be on your left side as you cross the bridge. Should be a GREAT spot for pictures!!! :)

pom31.jpg

Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance!!

If you are thinking of walking to save the cab fare, considering what the cruise costs - it is false economy. If you are doing it because you like to walk, that may be a different issue.

DON

I walked it several years ago b/c we had time & wanted to go for a walk. I would never do it again. The "sidewalk" was barely 2 feet wide. One wrong move & you will fall into 50 mph traffic. No one slowed down for us. I was shaking when we got to the other side. We took a cab back.

You are crazy. Good luck with this.

The walk from the Intercontinental to Bayside mall is fine.

Archived