Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

mitsugirly ~ good show!

mikensuenfl ~ I understand from others it is possible to arrive at Tabyana by independent taxi, I don't know of there will be a fee to get in or if you can tell them you only want a lounger and they will charge accordingly. The info may be on their web site, or you could email them.

Tabyana is a very small part of West Bay Beach. The closest resort is Infinity Bay, farther up the beach is Bananarama, Mayan Princess and Fosters, all of which offer day passes, loungers, food, drinks and two of them have pools.

At this time it is still possible to skip all the facilities and plop your person on the sand of the beach for free.

You folks are really great,okay,a few more questions.how long of a walk is it from bananarama to tyabana ,and the "wall". Is snorkeling as good there as at the "kidney" area. Also,how far of a swim from shore to the kidney and to the better snorkeling..any thoughts of lunch spots at the beach.. .ready for a "monkey lala"".... Mike

The whole of West Bay Beach from Foster's to the Iguana Wall can be walked in 10 to 20 minutes depending how fast you walk, how much you play in the water and how much you drink along the way. The walk from Bananarama to the iguana wall is maybe 5 mins.

I understood from a guy last week Beachers (near Foster's) has the best drinks on the beach. As far as food, to me it is about the same every where, I don't come down for the food so I don't bother much. Infinity has a palapa bar people say is good, Banarama's Thirsty Turtle gets alot of press, Bite on the Beach is a nice spot on the water though the food is on again off again. Many people rave about Celeste's across the main road behind Bananrama.

While many people believe the water against the Iguana wall to be the best snorkeling, it is very hard to get to due to the shallow water over the reef.

I do not believe the Kidney is all that interesting, I swim through the kidney, turn toward the iguana wall and snorkel to black rock and around it , then I swim farther out and snorkel back to the kidney channel by way of the 2nd reef wall. Or vis versa depending on my mood. The swim through the kidney may take me 2 mins, I am a strong swimmer and have no fear of the sea.

By the by ~ I was in the "3" yesterday, not a single starfish could I find. I saw very sad indeed.

Edited by Guest 2000

Thanks guest, anything special about the "3".. So, if this was your 1st time at west bay,where would you pick for your snorkeling.. Keep in mind we are not 'young '.. Ah, seniors.we dont want to venture too far off shore. We do have our own stuff,vest,etc. Are you on vacation in roatan,do you live there ??? Thanks ,mike

mikensuenfl

I had mentioned in the beginning of this thread I had seen more starfish than I could count in the "3" last year. As far as I know that was the only thing special about it.

I do not live here. I have been coming down for years and have stayed up to three months at a time. It is more lifestyle than it is vacation. :D

As I said above the best path to the 1st reef is though the channel at the sea side of the "kidney". While West Bay is of fair size, the reef is to far from the shore at any other place and if you snorkel on the Iguana Wall side of Infinity you don't have to be concerned about boats. On cruise ship days there are guy in kayaks on the water, of you have any problem, yell, someone will hear ya. I have a very high pitched whistle I wear in case of any wackiness.

Another option is to hire anyone of a number of the locals (a guy here a Foster's took a group of four out there today, he was both boat captain and snorkel tour guide) to take you out to Blue Channel, I was snorkeling off a dive boat in that area yesterday.. all I have to say is WOW. This is not to say West Bay is not amazing just that the Blue Channel area is of good size. The reef is much farther out but have a local to keep ya safe.

Last week we noticed a new landmark on West Bay beach which can help people locate the easiest spot to swim out to the reef. There was a giant inflatable slide/trampoline in front of Infinity Bay. Assuming they keep this large structure in the same general area, the "kidney" will be located between it and the dock. :cool:

If it's not there, you can always head out from the west side of the dock and follow the coral towards the "Iguana Wall" until you see the large sandy path leading out... you really can't miss it! :)

A big thanks to the contributors on this thread (mitsu, goose, guest, etc). We will be in Roatan in a couple of weeks and now I know what we're going to be doing. :) We love a challenge and if the visibility is good, we will be in that water, exploring the whole area. I am fearless when it comes to snorkeling. Thank you so much for the pictures and arrows and 3's :) Super helpful!!!

A big thanks to the contributors on this thread (mitsu, goose, guest, etc). We will be in Roatan in a couple of weeks and now I know what we're going to be doing. :) We love a challenge and if the visibility is good, we will be in that water, exploring the whole area. I am fearless when it comes to snorkeling. Thank you so much for the pictures and arrows and 3's :) Super helpful!!!

You are most welcome.. I was out there today, saw myself 17 squid all in a nice little row.. I have no idea that the behavior is about but it was sure good fun watching them.

• 2 weeks later...
You are most welcome.. I was out there today, saw myself 17 squid all in a nice little row.. I have no idea that the behavior is about but it was sure good fun watching them.

Wow, that would be neat. I've only ran into 1 squid before and I wasn't exactly sure what it was for a moment. He was SO CUTE! :p

Armedaneian,

That is exactly what I saw.. just as soon as a sort myself to post pics I will show ya...mine are a different color. THANKS

I can't wait to see them! ;) Love those cute little things. I can't imagine seeing a bunch of them lined up.

Is this the same thing? Maybe a younger version? Or is it something different?

1017726749_CoJxS-M.jpg

Yeah, that's a cuttlefish. They can change their colors like a chameleon and when the light hits them just right, they have a bright neon pattern on their backs. I've seen a handful of them lined up and it was pretty neat... 17 would be quite a sight, I'm sure! :)

Yeah, that's a cuttlefish. They can change their colors like a chameleon and when the light hits them just right, they have a bright neon pattern on their backs. I've seen a handful of them lined up and it was pretty neat... 17 would be quite a sight, I'm sure! :)

One way to determine if you are watching a squid or cuttlefish is to look at the location of the eyes.

Squids have their eyes located on he sides of their heads (as in the bottom image) and Cuttlefish eyes are located closer to the "top" of their head (like in the first picture below)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3INHQR2Vo4axwB2AVXyIriziVh7QzJX40W5B3vl4VTh4Ok7BR

85-IMG_1515.jpg

Edited by TurtleTagger

TurtleTagger ~ Thank you!!

Hmmm, I am not at all sure what I saw anymore... The body looks like the cuddlefish but the eyes are not on top. I will get the pic posted to the web and then bring it over here.

Edited by Guest 2000

I could be wrong... :confused: but, I thought squid had some long tentacles that were missing on cuttlefish:

800px-Loligo_vulgaris.jpg

I do know there are numerous families in both orders... and they all look a little different. :eek: Do we have any Marine Biologists in the house? :D

Well, almost time to cruise.. We are getting a jump start on our vacation.. We are sailing on the majesty of the seas this friday to monday,then on the millennium monday.. Looking forward to roatan.. Again, thankyou all for all the info given on this thread.. We will post after we get home.. Smooth sailings to all..