Quizzing Experienced Snorkelers...

Luvsnorkeling

Thanks for the info. On the map, it looks like a pretty fair distance. But if the walk is only a few minutes, then it is well worth doing. Especially when one stops off for a recommended cocktail!

The walk is closer to ten mins than three mins.

Foster's would be more than happy to make you a Monkey Lala for the walk down the beach....or if you catch a water taxi going FROM West End to Infinity it would be very easy to hop that boat... on the way back it would be easier.. just ask the guy to drop you at Fosters on his way to West End. I have no idea what this would cost but I have little doubt they would do it.

The walk is closer to ten mins than three mins.

Foster's would be more than happy to make you a Monkey Lala for the walk down the beach....or if you catch a water taxi going FROM West End to Infinity it would be very easy to hop that boat... on the way back it would be easier.. just ask the guy to drop you at Fosters on his way to West End. I have no idea what this would cost but I have little doubt they would do it.

Guest....come to think of it you are probably right about the 10 minute walk. I had a few Port Royals along the way, which distorted my time frame.......I think......not sure.......Did I mention the Port royals?

Guest....come to think of it you are probably right about the 10 minute walk. I had a few Port Royals along the way, which distorted my time frame.......I think......not sure.......Did I mention the Port royals?

No worries Goose...

I was down for several weeks last year, stayed at Foster's and walked down the beach to snorkel daily. That and I don't drink, allergy ya know. :)

I understand the Port Royal is very good, much preferred over the Salavia or whar ever the other one is called.

No worries Goose...

I was down for several weeks last year, stayed at Foster's and walked down the beach to snorkel daily. That and I don't drink, allergy ya know. :)

I understand the Port Royal is very good, much preferred over the Salavia or whar ever the other one is called.

3 darn good local beers: Barena, SalvaVida, and Port Royal. I tend to mix it up.......

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions. My question concerns the inner and outer reefs... Is that them converging at the "13"?

No, the 13 is a wacky hole, for lack of a better word, in the inner reef wall, I have no idea what happened there.

The outer reef is father out, when I swim the outer reef wall I end up almost flush with the point of the island call Lighthouse. The current is much stronger there and I get a bit concerned about having to get out of the water at the point and walk back...then I take a deep breath and SWIM for the beach..it works out in the end but the 1st time it happened I scared myself silly.

Edit ~ I went back to look at the pic again. The right side of the one in the 13 is the inner reef, the left side of the one is the outer reef as much as it looks like the 2 converge there when you are in the water it doesn't look like there do in the pic. There is a rubble field that separates them that may look like reef, it may have been at one point as well.

Edited by Guest 2000

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions. My question concerns the inner and outer reefs... Is that them converging at the "13"?

guest and I have experienced snorkling this area multiple times. sometimes its difficult to tell a newbie just how to get out to the outer reef. So, I'll try to add to what guest described.......start at the kidney, swim around to the outer part of the kidney and you will see two side by side channels leading farther out. Keep snorkling away from shore. You'll swim over several rooms (sandy areas like the kidney) until you find a big open patch of sand. Keep swimming away from the shore.....maybe 50-75 ft. You will see a parallel reef and just over is the deep blue "nemo" area. You turn left to follow this "outer reef" all the way to the "black rock" (near the point or end of the island)..

Now to return you have a choice: swim a little further in (to the shore) and snorkle back over the "inner reef" to the kidney.....or snorkle along the "iguana wall" towards the shore. If you go this route, be careful......there are very shallow areas which will take you very skin close to the reef. I try to keep my eyes pointed far ahead to find the best route. Both return routes are doable. heading in by the wall is quicker but a little more difficult due to the shallow areas.

Hope this helps.....

• 1 month later...

hi! I just wanted to say thank you so much for the contributors to this thread! We just got back from our cruise on sunday with our last stop being roatan. Because of the maps and other info here I gained the confidence to head out over the reef and did some amazing snorkling! There were great conditions the day I was there and during the 2.5-3 hrs I spent in the water that day I took lots of pix. Sadly, even though I have the same camera as Guest2000 (I believe) I do not seem to have the underwater photographic skills and my pix aren't nearly as good. Oh well. I guess that means I just need to plan a return trip soon so I can practice :-)

I've done snorkling all over the caribbean and many times in hawaii and I thought this reef was pretty fantastic.

Thanks again!

susan

What a fantastic and helpful thread! We are planning for this port likely for November this year. After reading this, I can hardly wait to snorkel this area! For some reason I don't seem to be able to view the picture that people are referring to with the 13. Could someone repost that picture?

Just FYI: Infinity Bay now has an on-site dive shop - Infinity Divers

Here is the link

http://www.infinitydivers.com/prices

You can rent equipment (mask, fins & snorkel) for $10.00

or- take a snorkel trip for $15.00

Hope this helps.

I dove this area last year and I was truly amazed at how healthy the reef is off Roatan. Hope it stays that way !

What a fantastic and helpful thread! We are planning for this port likely for November this year. After reading this, I can hardly wait to snorkel this area! For some reason I don't seem to be able to view the picture that people are referring to with the 13. Could someone repost that picture?

Here's my pic of the 3, if that's what you are talking about?

3.jpg

I think your number 3 is the "3" in the "13" I show here:

TabySnorkel.jpg

This is the picture that I can't see that has the reference to the 13. (post #28) If Snorkel2Much is around, I would love to see that picture.

Mitsugirly - I have read your full photo review and loved it! We are hoping to do a similar cruise...possibly with Carnival. Leaving next week to the Bahamas on Carnival Fantasy and will speak to them then about the Western Caribbean for November.

Edited by banditoo

This is the picture that I can't see that has the reference to the 13. (post #28) If Snorkel2Much is around, I would love to see that picture.

Mitsugirly - I have read your full photo review and loved it! We are hoping to do a similar cruise...possibly with Carnival. Leaving next week to the Bahamas on Carnival Fantasy and will speak to them then about the Western Caribbean for November.

I know that picture is no longer on the thread. Not sure if Snorkel2Much deleted or not. I know during the convo, we were trying to figure out a certain area, which was the picture I posted of the backwards 3. :confused: So clueless at this point. Hopefully Snorkel can come back and repost it. I can't recall it unless I go back and read the entire thread again. LOL

banditoo ~ have a look at the original map located at roatanwestbaydotcom. It is possible to zoom in with the plus sign in the top left corner. Find the "Tabyana Beach" label, look out into the water between that label and the edge of the island. The "one" looks a bit like a slug, sorta fat in the middle and tapered on the bottom end. The "three" is a bit smaller. If you zoom on in the right spot the pic gets fuzzy bit the "three" is more visible.

mitsugirly ~ may be able to find and post in again, I do not have this skill. :)

An added note, Nov is in rainy season so visibility may be down, or you could have the crystal clear waters of Sept.

ok, guys......to see absolutely the most detailed overhead photo of the reef running along WB go the Roatan thread "So Confused About Honduras"....the 7th post (by Armedaneian)....wonderful shot. It will blow your mind! Can someone "borrow" this photo and post it here?

Thank you all! Can't go wrong with help like this. Now if the weather will only cooperate in late November! I would hate to get there and have the visibility poor and not be able to see any of these fantastic reefs and sea life. Is early December or January any better for weather and visibility?

Mitsu.....yes thank you.....now if I can only learn how to draw those squiggly lines like you did on previous photos. This obviously was taken from a plane but the quality/colors are beautiful. I can even make out the big rock island at the end of the Iguana wall!

OK, I have figured out how to mark the pictures using 'paint' however, not sure how to actually upload the picture back here. Looks like I have to first upload the photo to a website to give it an URL and then could post it here. Will try to figure that out, but if someone has easy instructions for that part, it would be most appreciated!

Thank you all! Can't go wrong with help like this. Now if the weather will only cooperate in late November! I would hate to get there and have the visibility poor and not be able to see any of these fantastic reefs and sea life. Is early December or January any better for weather and visibility?

Just know that when we went the visibility wasn't great when we entered but did find that the more you went out the better it got. :)

Mitsu.....yes thank you.....now if I can only learn how to draw those squiggly lines like you did on previous photos. This obviously was taken from a plane but the quality/colors are beautiful. I can even make out the big rock island at the end of the Iguana wall!

You have to have Photoshop to do the lines or some type of program like that. ;)

We swam out right by the Iguana wall all the way to the big rock island you are referring to and can see in the pictures. I wish we would have turned and went along the wall part now.

• 2 weeks later...
Please clarify ,where is the iguana wall,and the big rock island.can we rent just lounge chairs at tyabana useing our own taxi ride.. This site has been sooo, helpful. You guys and gals are a big help .we will be in roatan april 4th.. Thanks again.

33wy07d.jpg

The wall will look like this when you come to it:

IMG5327-M.jpg

IMG5335-M.jpg

It is at the end of the beach.